• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
You do know a lot of this is like wrestling. Half real and half staged.
He has literally made a living off being the bad guy.
From what I've read he has never been caught actually cheating. Just the arcade board looked funny and switched out which could have completely been on purpose to garner publicity so he can do tours.

That's a lie. He unquestionably cheated. You should look into it again.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read he has never been caught actually cheating. Just the arcade board looked funny and switched out which could have completely been on purpose to garner publicity so he can do tours.
He submitted videos of mame gameplay and claimed they were legit. That's cheating.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's a work. He's extremely talented and can do it all again. This redemption tour is a work, friends

The steps to redemption usually include some sort of confession and acceptance of your own "sins".

It's always the same with these kind of guys... if he was like "yes, it's true, I cheated...I'm sorry... but I want to show you I can do it for real" and proceeds to crack the score, I'm sure most people would be much nicer towards him. It's the "There are mountains of evidence against me, but you're all wrong, I'm the best"-attitude that pisses people off.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there's something I'm missing in regards to the way Donkey Kong high scores work, but why does he walk away after hitting a million? Could he not beat the WR at 1,200,000?

D65

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that he had fame of reaching a million first. This doesn't matter...

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe there's something I'm missing in regards to the way Donkey Kong high scores work, but why does he walk away after hitting a million? Could he not beat the WR at 1,200,000?

The difference between the level of skill required to get 1m and the level of skill required to get 1.2 are so vast that he is no where near getting close to it, and he knows it

He said he would get 1m because that was the score he has been accused of cheating to get, and then he would stop playing, even if he could get more "because I'm Billy Mitchell"

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between the level of skill required to get 1m and the level of skill required to get 1.2 are so vast that he is no where near getting close to it, and he knows it

He said he would get 1m because that was the score he has been accused of cheating to get, and then he would stop playing, even if he could get more "because I'm Billy Mitchell"
That is the most Billy Mitchell thing I've ever heard.

Just found this on his twitter:

He really is a super-villain in the video game world.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That is the most Billy Mitchell thing I've ever heard.

Just found this on his twitter:

He really is a super-villain in the video game world.

On his insane, hour long, Road to Redemption panel (it's on YT) he drops that "because I'm Billy Mitchell, that's why" line, to rapturous applause

He also says he has no social media, and all accounts in his name are fake, but who knows with Billy

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Billy-Mitchell-EastEnders.jpg

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It is good he is making efforts to legitimize his scores, but the way people are falling all over themselves to forgive and even hype the guy is straight up weird.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK

To be fair, although I doubt he'd be challenging for the record any more, the dying on purpose thing is something he's always done, and has always seemed a little weird.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
The man is a self absorbed arsehole but it would be pretty great if he beats the current record just for the pure drama it would cause.

Deleted member 42758

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Apr 29, 2018
You know what would be even more impressive? Not lying to yourself (and others); accept the challenge of confronting your shortcomings and missteps and learn something about yourself in the process.

1 million on Donkey Kong? So what.

Being honest with yourself? Now that is hard. That is the path to redemption.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
For me the issue wasn't about whether he was capable of getting to 1M in DK, he's played in public plenty of times enough that his skills were known. Congrats to him for doing it on a live stream but that doesn't take away from the fact that his prior actions hurt the integrity of the competition and Twin Galaxies' record keeping. People saying that this is redemption makes me wonder if they understood the issues to begin with.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason this guy is this famous is because of his abrasive and brash personality. I am glad to see he will continue playing the heel.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
For me the issue wasn't about whether he was capable of getting to 1M in DK, he's played in public plenty of times enough that his skills were known. Congrats to him for doing it on a live stream but that doesn't take away from the fact that his prior actions hurt the integrity of the competition and Twin Galaxies' record keeping. People saying that this is redemption makes me wonder if they understood the issues to begin with.

I'm not excusing Billy Mitchell's cheating, but Twin Galaxies' record keeping damaged the integrity of Twin Galaxies' record keeping. The cheating revelations just exposed it, probably to the benefit of the community as a whole. Holding the records of certain individuals to far less scrutiny than everyone else's is not the way to run a record keeping organisation.

Oct 27, 2017
People take cheating in a video game way too seriously sometimes, hahahaha.

He is still a better player than any of us would hope to be at the game.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for banning his scores, but to say he doesn't know how play the game is ridiculous.

If he wants to break the WR live knowing it will never be "official" then more power to him. Greatest heel is gaming history.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
oh the mental gymnastics. pretty sure it was confirmed he was being shady.

Oct 28, 2017
How the hell do you cheat at Donkey Kong? Like Game Genie cheat codes or he was messing with the programming of the game?

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I used to be hardcore in to DK and down the rabbit hole....with all this Billy Mitchell stuff and now with DK on Switch I find myself falling back down it lol.

Never doubted he could hit 1 mil. which makes his cheating all the more baffling...

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Of course he did. You know why?

Because he's Billy Mitchell.

Shame on everyone who thought he cheated.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The internet loves to hate.
it's like this post was scientifically designed to generate maximum eyeroll.
I admit I havnt kept up with it but was it ever prove without a shadow of a doubt that he cheated?
yes. it was proven without a shadow of a doubt that he cheated before this discussion even began on gaming forums like this one. The MAME proof is what restarted this whole conversation.

Last edited:

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
I never understand the mentality of judging someone you've most likely never met or known, and castigating them with such full ire in a relentless way. I guess it makes a person's ego feel good and buffed up, to state how this person is amoral, much unlike yourself.

If he's pulling this off multiple times, good on him! I can't even get past the first screen most attempts...

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Why do people like to vilify someone so much. He did it ... it's done.. he is really great at donkey Kong.
No one can doubt, he is fuckin great. Not only great at Donkey Kong by the way, man is a genius at arcade video games.
But the guy has cheated. We are in our right to be unhappy. The guy is a fuckin genius, he doesn't need to cheat, but he did.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Everytime I see a BIlly Mitchell video—or really any perfect game played by anyone—I think of Parzival in Ready Player One and how implausible that shit is.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You know how you redeem yourself? Admit you made a bad choice and aim to improve.

He is not admitting so it doesn't really matter a whole lot that he achieved this because the actual issue is still there.

He doesn't need to admit anything if he ever breaks the record live. This isn't the olympics or a mainstream sport.

Oct 27, 2017
it's like this post was scientifically designed to generate maximum eyeroll

yeeeeesssss. it was proven without a shadow of a doubt that he cheated before this discussion even began on gaming forums like this one. The MAME proof is what restarted this whole conversation. It is not at all hard to use google, so please, do everyone in this thread a favor, and use google.
Yes, use google.
For example, to check the Twin Galaxies report here:
https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_d...s-donkey-kong-and-all-other-records-removed/4

I keep hearing how he used save states, or tampered with the footage to include gameplay from more than one session, to achieve his score, among other things.
People should read the report that resulted in his banning, so see what the actual "cheating" was.

He submitted footage that, according to Twin Galaxies findings, wasn't generated in unmodified hardware.
There's a high chance the footage was from a machine running MAME, but that wasn't proven, because that wasn't part of the scope of the inquiry.
Since that leaderboard was for games done on unmodified hardware, and their conclusion was that the machine he used wasn't one, his scores were removed.

There were no claims of the use of save states, nor image tampering. I don't think anyone even accused him of doing so.
What the image showed, is that board transitions on MAME are rendered differently than on an unmodified arcade, and the ones on his footage closely resemble the ones from MAME.
Nothing on the footage he submitted shows him using any kind of advantage, or nothing out of the ordinary in terms of gameplay, outside of what I mentioned above.

He is guilty of playing (knowingly or not) on a machine that wasn't an original cab, or unmodified hardware.
Nothing more.

As usual, all people take from these reports is the word "cheat", and come up with all kinds of ridiculous allegations that aren't part of the actual report that resulted in his punishment.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I just like following the news to see the people debate back and forth. Cool for BM tho

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, use google.
https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_d...s-donkey-kong-and-all-other-records-removed/4

I keep hearing how he used save states, or tampered with the footage to include gameplay from more than one session, to achieve his score, among other things.
People should read the report that resulted in his banning, so see what the actual "cheating" was.

He submitted footage that, according to Twin Galaxies findings, wasn't generated in unmodified hardware.
There's a high chance the footage was from a machine running MAME, but that wasn't proven, because that wasn't part of the scope of the inquiry.
Since that leaderboard was for games done on unmodified hardware, and their conclusion was that the machine he used wasn't one, his scores were removed.

There were no claims of the use of save states, nor image tampering. I don't think anyone even accused him of doing so.
What the image showed, is that board transitions on MAME are rendered differently than on an unmodified arcade, and the ones on his footage closely resemble the ones from MAME.
Nothing on the footage he submitted shows him using any kind of advantage, or nothing out of the ordinary in terms of gameplay, outside of what I mentioned above.

He is guilty of playing (knowingly or not) on a machine that wasn't an original cab, or unmodified hardware.
Nothing more.

As usual, all people take from these reports is the word "cheat", and come up with all kinds of ridiculous allegations that aren't part of the actual report that resulted in his punishment.

You don't know DK like Billy does and "accidentally" play on a fucking MAME version

The issue is that he passed MAME off as OG hardware, and because of that he could well have been using save states or anything else to give him an advantage, there wasn't anyone there to confirm the build he was using or the machine he was playing on, and the fact he recorded dodgy looking footage with no audio (audio differences are a give away that you're playing on MAME) suggests he full well knew what he was doing

Maybe he didn't cheat and got legit scores on MAME, the problem is there is no way to tell if he got those scores legitimately or not

The fact he lied about playing on MAME, and to this day claims to have never played the game on MAME before, suggests there is probably something dodgy going on

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, use google.

Nothing more.

The Twin Galaxies report is hardly an exhaustive document of the evidence. It's as nice to Billy as it could possibly be while still acknowledging that he cheated. There's ample evidence that his videos were more than just legitimate games played on an emulator. He used a suspiciously risky playstyle and the distribution of pseudorandom point gains is well above what can be expected from normal play.

There's also the fact that his videos conveniently lack audio, which is the easiest way to tell if a video has been spliced.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The Twin Galaxies report is hardly an exhaustive document of the evidence. It's as nice to Billy as it could possibly be while still acknowledging that he cheated. There's ample evidence that his videos were more than just legitimate games played on an emulator. He used a suspiciously risky playstyle and the distribution of pseudorandom point gains is well above what can be expected from normal play.
Which, to be clear, RNG is RNG. Sometimes you get the good rolls. But when you are having incredibly, unusually great luck in combination with lying over using emulation, stands out like a sore thumb as suspicious as all hell.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Billy Mitchell stole Wiebe's moment. He took away his 20 minutes of fame. Fraudulently. Maliciously.

When caught, he acted like the asshole he is.

2 strikes you're out.