• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Source

Billy Mitchell has been the subject of a lot of talk, speculation and indeed scandal this year. He hasn't been this popular since the King of Kong film was launched. At this point, I should note that if you haven't watched it, you really should. Earlier this year though, he hit a major scandal when Twin Galaxies (under new ownership) starting opening high score record submissions to be contested.

Following a massive investigation from both TG and the gaming community, all of Billy Mitchells high scores and records were removed as invalid (or more accurately removed under a cloud of disingenuine representation) and he was permanently banned from high score submissions in the future.

After the news broke, Billy Mitchell has been quite a busy man. He has been touring the US on his 'Road To Redemption' door attempting to clear his name or salvage his reputation. These events have been said to be a mixed bag affair. While he does hold panels, he is apparently highly resistant to taking questions from the public. He has been accused of using the tour more to grandstand his own views and opinions while avoiding being challenged openly.

The throwing out of his score submissions has placed a dark cloud over Billy Mitchell. Many believe that his scores may have been entirely faked and that he actually isn't very good at games. Donkey Kong specifically. In a recent Twitch stream though, in a live and confirmed recording, he cracked exactly 1 million points on the game. A major milestone for the title.

Kill screen me and reboot the thread on MAME if old

The fact he was able to do this live after only a few weeks of trying just makes his actual cheating even more tragic

Edit: Link to Twitch stream

Edit 2:

Edit 3:

Last edited:

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Quoting myself from the other thread,

So the new twitch stream is interesting...

We don't see the cab power on, and we don't see the proper screw draw at this framerate so it very well still could be on modified/unofficial hardware :|

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Gamer of the Century

We need to see him do it live on verified hardware.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know how you redeem yourself? Admit you made a bad choice and aim to improve.

He is not admitting so it doesn't really matter a whole lot that he achieved this because the actual issue is still there.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Impressive if true since hes like in his 50's correct? anyway i never understood why he cheated, he got an 800k in the 80's & held that for 2 decades, should have been happy with that, no one was ever gonna take that from him.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Why do people like to vilify someone so much. He did it ... it's done.. he is really great at donkey Kong.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Impressive if true since hes like in his 50's correct? anyway i never understood why he cheated, he got an 800k in the 80's & held that for 2 decades, should have been happy with that, no one was ever gonna take that from him.

It could be more of a Barry Bonds thing.

Naturally talented, but felt the need to do more.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why do people like to vilify someone so much. He did it ... it's done.. he is really great at donkey Kong.

Well he cheated and stole the "first to a million" record from someone who actually was the first to get that record

I don't think anyone doubts he is an incredible player of arcade games, but I mean, Lance Armstrong was a great cyclist, but all this is undone when you cheat

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't matter. Once you're disqualified for cheating there's no redemption.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The throwing out of his score submissions has placed a dark cloud over Billy Mitchell. Many believe that his scores may have been entirely faked and that he actually isn't very good at games.

This is nonsense. One thing is not like the other. Most people believe that his scores are faked but still know he does have skills - just not the outstanding, WR skill he claimed to have with his magnum opus. Stuff like this is disingenuous to try and paint anyone challenging Mitchell's claims as people who say "lol mitchell is a loser i bet he cant even beat DK first stage without cheating is he even a GAMER tm"

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is nonsense. One thing is not like the other. Most people believe that his scores are faked but still know he does have skills - just not the outstanding, WR skill he claimed to have with his magnum opus. Stuff like this is disingenuous to try and paint anyone challenging Mitchell's claims as people who say "lol mitchell is a loser i bet he cant even beat DK first stage without cheating is he even a GAMER tm"

I agree with you, but you have made it look like what you're quoting was said by me, when it's actually said by the writer of the article, so just wanted to clear that up :P

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you, but you have made it look like what you're quoting was said by me, when it's actually said by the writer of the article, so just wanted to clear that up :P

haha true, its just that when i quote your post the news you posted dont show up, so i edited your post instead. sorry about that.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm more upset at that site's shitty editor than Mitchell cheating in the first place. "Road To Redemption door"

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Unless he's doing it live at AGDQ with a couch of loud memers behind him, I don't believe him

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm more upset at that site's shitty editor than Mitchell cheating in the first place. "Road To Redemption door"

If anyone can find a better source I will update the OP, I struggled to find anywhere more reputable reporting on this

I only know it happened because someone bumped an older thread on the subject

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Well yeah, he's good. We knew that. If anyone thought because he cheated his skills didnt exist, they're nuts.

The reason his cheating was believable to many was because of his skill.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because he did it now doesn't change the fact he cheated back then. This doesn't solve any issue at all, we already knew he had the skill to be a good player, but he still cheated that is known. He fails to admit it despite all the evidence.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
whats the reasoning behind stopping at 999000?

EDIT: Nevermind I see the bonus points now

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
whats the reasoning behind stopping at 999000?

EDIT: Nevermind I see the bonus points now

To add to this, he said he would get 1m and then stop, even if he could get a lot more points

I think realistically he knows he won't challenge the real record, so might as well just get the million twice like he said he would and that can be his point made

Though he still cheated, even if he wants to continue to deny it, so this doesn't tell us much, we already knew he was good at the game

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
To add to this, he said he would get 1m and then stop, even if he could get a lot more points

I think realistically he knows he won't challenge the real record, so might as well just get the million twice like he said he would and that can be his point made

Though he still cheated, even if he wants to continue to deny it, so this doesn't tell us much, we already knew he was good at the game
If he can get 1 million at his age, i dread to think how high he could have got in his early 20's if he had a DK cabinet at his house.

Sylverstone

Nothing amazing happens here.
Oct 24, 2017
New York City
Cool that he can do it (I sure as hell can't), but it doesn't erase the fact that he cheated and reaped the rewards from that cheating for years.

Either way, I wish him the best of luck on that "redemption" tour.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
Frankly, it's more impressive to get 1 million now (Billy's current age) than the previous scores.

Amazing.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
This isn't the point though. It's about about if he can do it or not, it's the point of he didn't do it FIRST. He lied and refused to show evidence of the first time he did it for the world record. Sure he can do it now but it's about then, it's about why this is all a thing.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny reading all the zero tolerance stances on this person who had a fairly minor transgression years ago on what is an entirely trivial thing to begin with.

Good on him!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself from the other thread,

So the new twitch stream is interesting...

We don't see the cab power on, and we don't see the proper screw draw at this framerate so it very well still could be on modified/unofficial hardware :|

And this is exactly why it's such a bad idea to cry wolf in order to embellish actual accomplishments. Because the second your credibility is gone, it's GONE. Everything this guy does from now on is going to be marred by the taint of his cheating (and his shitty, defensive attitude). Honestly though? He deserves it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's funny reading all the zero tolerance stances on this person who had a fairly minor transgression years ago on what is an entirely trivial thing to begin with.

Good on him!

Faking scores to claim a much coveted record he didn't earn, and stripping the rightful owner of that record for over a decade, is a minor transgression?

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
He should do this on the arcade archives version on switch. That way I can see his name on the leaderboards.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what Billy thinks this proves. Breaking 1 million in 2018 doesn't mean the same thing it did a decade ago. As time goes on, strats become optimized, and once-groundbreaking achievements become banal. Nobody ever claimed that Billy Mitchell is incapable of reaching this milestone, just that he wasn't actually the first to do it.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey that's Glitch Bar in Fort Lauderdale! I work like five minutes away from Billy Mitchell lol

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Bingo.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Good on him!

If he didn't completely fuck over someone else whilst doing so (Steve Wiebe) and then dined out on that glory, I'm sure more people would have sympathy for him.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's a terrible cheat but it's hard to deny he's a really entertaining guy

I'd love to see a King of Kong 2: Enter the MAMEframe