• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Lmao this headline.
Sucks for those who are on PS5 I guess, at least it's 60 and a next gen version is coming, hopefully sooner rather than later.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
When The Last of Us 2 performs the same and with a higher resolution you know you dun fucked up.

Not really fair to compare a developer of the size and caliber of Naughty Dog to the ones who made Biomutant. If anything ND could have done much more than just a 60fps boost for TLoU2.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It's a'ight. With FF7R Intergrade and Ratchet releasing while I'm still addicted to Returnal I can give them some time to fix their technical issues. Game looks really good, will probably take a stab at it in the second half of they ear.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Should atleast clarify if the true current-gen version will be free of charge for last-gen version buyers.

But actually i believe if the game is not sold well, there will be no current-gen version.

Looks kinda fun, but also really last-gen with all the pop in (shadows, grass)

Ah, so these are not native current gen versions.

As a side note, the textures for the rock and the green textures meant to represent "grass" look rather rough.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Why am I feeling more and more like devs need to be at least a little more clear about when a game is running through BC on either system? Just saying "On PS5/XSX" could mean its running BC or native, but then things like this are said and you don't know if it's a native build or not. Are they doing this to avoid scrutiny or something?

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
What? They are right.

Sony bc ic embarrassing compared to MS
It's the unfortunate truth as much as I love my PS5.

Overwatch, Rocket League, and Warzone all being able to give their backwards compatible clients 120hz support on Series X tells the entire story. It's a huge bummer the way things have shaken out with the way BC is between the two systems.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I was looking forward to this, but I'll wait till they fix the PS5 issues/release a PS5 version.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You tell me. A implementation that tons of developers already said they couldn't do X or Y because Sony only allows with a native version sounds quite bad for me. Let's see how wil Sony BC program will fare when the PS6 launch. Because it will be even more problematic.
Yeah, an implementation that runs virtuallly all of the PS4 catalogue and improves performance on several titles is "horrible". Microsoft did an amazing job with their BC solution, there's no doubt about that and I'm thankful I can play several previous gen titles on my new Series X, but an actual horrible BC implementation would be one that runs games with worse performance than native hardware, runs a signficant portion of the library with issues and doesn't run a significant portion of said library, at all.

Regarding this game, it seems like there's still a PS5 version in the works and at release it'll simply be title running through BC mode on PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous. You have access to basically the entire catalog of the previous console running perfectly, and you can enhance framerates with a patch.

The fact that Microsoft's implementation is better doesn't mean that Sony's is "horrible" by any means. That's just absurd.
Sure, maybe "horrible" was an over-exaggeration, but if you think Sony implementation needing developers to do a extra-effort is good, then it's okay.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
What's happening actually
I don't believe the performance gulf is that large
Did Xbox tools leapfrog over PS5 tools somehow?
Very strange

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Man, how does that team not have a Series S? Did they even try to contact Microsoft? They could have easily ebay'd one for very little over retail price, and had it within a week. Seemsblike a THQ fail there, but 1440p 30fps seems alright

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, guess I'll wait for the PS5 patch then. Plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, is this a PS4 BC game being re-labeled and sold as a PS5 version when a native PS5 version is in the works with no known release date?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what they've done

Then that's BS and IS all on the developers/publisher.

Is that not what we got in the TLoU2 update yesterday? There was no resolution bump, no graphical upgrades just a boost from 30fps to 60.

Did Sony suddenly start listing TLoU2 as a PS5 game? No, they released a patch for the PS4 version that enhances performance on PS5. Looks like Biomutant is being released as a PS5 game when it's really just the PS4 version running in BC mode from what I'm reading here. May be wrong though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
A native PS5 version should eliminate any reason for limitations. Not really sure what technical difficulties they would be running into anyway unless they literally just don't have time to work on it before shipping

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm confused, is this a PS4 BC game being re-labeled and sold as a PS5 version when a native PS5 version is in the works with no known release date?

I don't think they are relabeling anything, they are just talking about enhancements of the backcompat versions of the title running on new-gen consoles.

It sounds like they experienced technical issue getting the game to run at 4k60 on PS5 (with the PS4 Pro verison), but were able to do it on Series X with the X1X version.

If I had to guess, it sounds like it's possible they might update the PS5 version (enhanced PS4 Pro version running at 4k60) afterwards.

Oct 30, 2017
It seems more a difficult stemmed from the horrible BC implementation from Sony no? Regardless, don't see any problem with that. Everything will be ironed out post-release. It's also funny to see "No Series S footage because nobody owns on the office".
The BC implementation doesn't allow for resolution increases. That doesn't make it horrible. Horrible would be non functioning or glitchy.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Let's put into perspective a dev of 20 people making a game during a pandemic...
Yeah.
Also: I remember reading an interview some months ago where the developers mentioned they`re not planing to release current gen versions.
Xbox Series/PS5 players should be happy they changed their plans.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Nobody has X test / dev kit is ... not something you want to say out publicly.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's BS and IS all on the developers/publisher.

Did Sony suddenly start listing TLoU2 as a PS5 game? No, they released a patch for the PS4 version that enhances performance on PS5. Looks like Biomutant is being released as a PS5 game when it's really just the PS4 version running in BC mode from what I'm reading here. May be wrong though.

There is no boxed PS5 or XSX/XSS version of Biomutant. It is running through BC on both systems.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's compare a AAA "open-linear" game made by a gigantic first party studio that has made this type of game for decades while the game was completed before the pandemic to a 20 something person studio making an open world game during a pandemic. That is definitely a fair comparison.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
From what I can tell it's a small team working on this, so I imagine they had lock the resolution of the PS4 version running on PS5 in order to meet the release date with a game that performs acceptably. And I think people should consider this before going in with criticism.

And maybe there are wider issues with how the PS5 handles PS4 games vs how it works on other consoles, but who knows.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
What's happening actually
I don't believe the performance gulf is that large
Did Xbox tools leapfrog over PS5 tools somehow?
Very strange
It'd all down to how the systems handle bc mode, it isn't indicative of a power gap being large just the difference in bc and them being a small team. Happy I went xbox though with this one as I'm really excited for it.