• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Embargo is up on the hour, so just a couple minutes to go until the floodgates open up.

Metacritic
Xbox One | PC | PS4
Opencritic

Forbes - Unscored
Still, my 75-hour playthrough didn't feel like time waster. Biomutant has charm and heart; everything more or less works: there's always the promise of something weird and wonderful around the corner, even if you've seen something similar before. It's definitely unlike anything else you've played before, even if it reminds you of everything else.

GameInformer - 6.5
Despite bursting at the seams with cool ideas, Biomutant is a largely hollow experience that only provides fleeting glimpses of greatness.

PowerUp Gaming - 9/10
The wait to explore this new world may have been a little long in the tooth but Biomutant has emerged as a game about, and of, spectacular evolution.

Push Square - 4/10
Biomutant could have been something special, but the ambitious project fails to capitalise on what it does differently. Trapped in the clutches of an open world from a generation past, its own ideas are thwarted by an overload of other mechanics and overwhelming menus. By trying to do so much, Biomutant skipped the part where it built a solid basis to work from. While there's still potential here, Experiment 101's first attempt hasn't realised it.

PressStart - 5.5
As the credits rolled on Biomutant, I couldn't help but wonder why there was so much in the game and yet so much that was distinctly unmemorable. It's got jet skis, horses, Titanfall-esque mechs, and even bug catching. There are psychic powers, real guns, boomerangs, and a mountable walking mechanical hand that shoots from its fingers. But none of it ever comes together in a way that makes sense, and that's Biomutants biggest problem. It's just trying to do too much and, in the process, lost sight of what it sets out to do.

Gamespot - 6/10
There's still an enjoyable game here, but a lot of unfortunate caveats come attached to that statement. Yet while it might not always hit the mark, Biomutant is an ambitiously flawed game from a small studio, and the games industry could always use more risky endeavors like this one.

IGN - 6/10
Biomutant has a lot of the building blocks of a top-drawer action RPG but its cookie-cutter approach to objectives and puzzles starts feeling very repetitive very early on.

Critical|Hit - 8/10
Biomutant juggles a ton of balls at any given time, and while it might not be able to keep all of them in the air, it's still an ambitious open-world adventure that's hard to not fall in love with. Maybe it's coming at the right time as well, as its generally laid-back approach to storytelling, wonderfully silly crafting, and deep character customization more than makes up for the rough combat that could do with some more polish.

GamingBolt - 5/10
Biomutant works best on paper, but it has too many derivative elements for anything alone to stand out.

TrueAchivements - 3.5/5
Biomutant really feels like it has so much heart behind it, and that's more than enough of a pull to keep you coming back for more. You could just focus on those end-game bosses, but it would be a crime to do so — Biomutant's expansive world offers so much that you'll lose hours to exploration before even thinking about taking on some of those sidequests. It's also a breath of fresh air to see the unique combination of inspirations and themes behind the game, which do indeed help it to stand apart as a real mash-up of genres wrapped up in a "post-apocalyptic kung-fu fable." The only issues are where Biomutant doesn't quite measure up to the scope and complexity it offers, leaving it feeling as though a little more polish would complete its transformation into a real gem.

FlickeringMyth - 6/10
Despite its appealing open-world and charmingly oddball characters, Biomutant's jank-heavy gameplay, short length, and over-familiar grab-bag of RPG tropes make for a frustratingly lukewarm experience.

RPGamer - 2/5
Despite some interesting ideas, Biomutant commits the cardinal sin of media — it's boring, and that ultimately seals its fate. The game has a gorgeous world and adorable character designs, yet it's soulless and falls far short of its ambitions. What makes it even more depressing is that, although it has potential, it's plagued by too many poor gameplay elements plus a story that's bloated with exposition and undermined by poor character development, as well as the rampant technical issues. Offering a main story that can easily be completed in less than fifteen hours, Biomutant is a quick experience but the dullness still comes to the fore in that short amount of time. Ambition is a beautiful thing to have, but if you cannot fulfill it, it's nothing but wasted potential and time.

TheWashingtonPost - Unscored
"Biomutant" is a weird amalgamation of many standard video game mechanics, almost in a meta kind of sense, just like an actual mutant. There are so many borrowed ideas that you're bound to find something you like about this game. There's a lot of customization to personally tailor your own preferences, and that's the beauty of it. It's got a lot of charm and personality too. If only the combat's feel had just been fine tuned to feel more impactful, then the overall experience could have been that much better.

Noisypixel - 9/10
Biomutant comes out the gate incredibly strong with high customization and a stunning world to explore. Players have agency over the adventure through interactions providing an immersive experience unique to the player, making it a must-play for any action-adventure fan. However, the more time you spend in this world, the more you notice where it could be improved. As some missions become less fun with no help from the low difficulty, you'll likely want to speed past some portions. Still, that's one small issue to an otherwise grand adventure full of wonderful features, gameplay, and beauty that can't be overlooked.

Comicbook - 3/5
Biomutant isn't a terrible game -- the fighting and crafting systems are both top-notch and give players a ton of choice. But while the world of Biomutant is hauntingly beautiful, the game lacks any sort of narrative substance or character. If you're looking for a strong story or even a weak story, Biomutant will leave you unsatisfied. However, if you enjoy exploration for the sake of exploration, then you'll probably lose yourself in Biomutant.

Last edited:

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
IGN: 6/10 (leaked earlier)

received-818623969063813.jpg

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
71. Gonna pick this up down the line when the next-gen version launches, seems like a fun world to explore

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I think this will be a game I will greatly enjoy.

Always love games with ambition and a lot of heart, even if they aren't as refined as AAA games.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
will be pleasantly surprised if it's higher than 70 but that 75 hour playthrough comment has me worried this game is filled with Ubisoft towers and bases.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Totally has high 6 low 7 written all over it, love experimentation so I hope they recoup costs but still dont look amazing.

Darryn

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
I think the combat could definitely do with some more polish, as it has a distinctive "Eurojank" feel to it, but there's so much else that this game gets right and it's properly charming stuff. Fantastic grey area for morality, gorgeous open-world, and a whole lot of adventure.

My review:

Biomutant review - Designer Genes

Platform: Xbox Series X

Score: 80/100

Summary:

Biomutant juggles a ton of balls at any given time, and while it might not be able to keep all of them in the air, it's still an ambitious open-world adventure that's hard to not fall in love with. Maybe it's coming at the right time as well, as its generally laid-back approach to storytelling, wonderfully silly crafting, and deep character customization more than makes up for the rough combat that could do with some more polish.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Always felt a bit unsure about this one. It seems like a nice throwback to sixth gen mascot games but it always looked a bit loose in terms of game play and presentation.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still finishing off my video edit for a few hours from now but I kinda like it, despite a lot of problems.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I was a bit optimistic with that 78 MC lol. Currently 72 on opencritic.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, it's a bit over the place, and a bit lower than I was hoping. Gonna have to read up some of these in detail-