• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
I hate to break it to people, but 90 percent of AAA games next gen are probably going to be live service games. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle. Also, BioShock as a live service game sounds meh.

Hey look - it's the new version of the people that said single player games would die and be replaced by multiplayer games this gen.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Hey look - it's the new version of the people that said single player games would die and be replaced by multiplayer games this gen.

i mean, they kind of weren't wrong if we're looking at the EAs, 2Ks, R*s, ubisofts ect

the "one and done" AAA single player game just isn't their wheelhouse. obviously not extinct but it's nowhere near the landscape it was 10-15 years ago

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Well they were not completely wrong. While there are many first party games that are single player in nature from Nintendo and Sony, you can't deny that third party games have shifted towards online/multiplayer-centric games, potentially with monetisation, basically live service.

Even (AAA) single-player games these days are often incorporating elements that attempt to stretch out the game, usually by being "open world" or have RPG mechanics, or both.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This like how every game eventually ended up with Co-op/multiplayer a few years back...

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Do you have to have a live service to be considered GAAS?

Maybe not, but then we would be discussing semantics.

Nobody would consider Oblivion to be GaaS because it has some horse armor to purchase, tho maybe it could be one.

Any way or another, Bioshock 4 is implied to be a live service. Something like TW3 would be basically how the previous Bioshock dlc stuff worked.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)

Nobody would consider Oblivion to be GaaS because it has some horse armor to purchase, tho maybe it could be one.

Any way or another, Bioshock 4 is implied to be a live service. Something like TW3 would be basically how the previous Bioshock dlc stuff worked.
Then I'm just hoping for a combination of exp boosters and missions with big expansions every few months.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great to me personally. I wasn't done with Columbia in Infinite in any way shape or form. In fact by the time I finished the game, fact I couldn't go back was such a waste. To those who don't want to play the post game content, just don't play it then? What's the fear?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

It's also important to note that Rockstar does all of this really well these days - creates an amazing world with a 100% singleplayer experience, but then also provides an optional online component for players to continue spending time in that world. Assassin's Creed Odyssey also does a great job of providing "end game" GaaS systems, without shared worlds (so no other players to bump into) and without loot boxes.

People need to stop knee-jerking to these news stories. Live service can work incredibly well with the right implementation. Doesn't mean it will affect the main game being single player.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably still play it as long as there's some kind of coherent "campaign" I can just go through. Some of these live service games are decent to just play through in that way, I had a good time with the Division 2 this year and didn't really fuck with the end-game stuff, just played it as a single player action RPG.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
BioShock to me is about world building. give me something fascinating as Rapture or Columbia again i'll take it even if through the straw of service game/gaas or whatever

my chief concern is it's just Rapture with The Division slopped on top.