• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Of course it's here to stay, EA is not throwing away their 100+ million dollar investment. Especially when they can milk more money out of their fans with expasions that are supposed to make the game better, instead of including it for the entry price.
Ah, taking pages out of the Destiny playbook, I see.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's here to stay, EA is not throwing away their 100+ million dollar investment. Especially when they can milk more money out of their fans with expasions that are supposed to make the game better, instead of including it for the entry price.
If they recoup it quickly they can.

I spent $115 on this game (Canada) and didn't even make it through the story mode.

The state this game was shipped in is inexcusable, if you told me it was in development for less than a year I would believe it.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Keep wasting your money and time in something nobody cares about I guess
That's EA though, not Bioware. Bioware can't just say "fuck it", they're not independent like that. EA wants the on Anthem? They're on Anthem.

EA execs have already came out and said Anthem's future content would be free, they cannot possibly backtrack from that
I was not aware of that. My bad. Although, I can't help but feel they mean "the first expansion (with stuff that should have been in the base game) will be free. The others will be paid". Did they say something about this? Still, doesn't stop them from milking the userbase with microtransaction, which are arguably way more profitable than an expasion.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
can we stop with this dumb fear mongering when literally every single official comment has indicated nothing of the sorts? What's up with the obsession over failures and closures here?
BioWare didn't make the game they wanted them to make. So they have a vendetta or something...

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I was not aware of that. My bad. Although, I can't help but feel they mean "the first expansion (with stuff that should have been in the base game) will be free. The others will be paid". Did they say something about this? Still, doesn't stop them from milking the userbase with microtransaction, which are arguably way more profitable than an expasion.
All good bro lol

I remember them saying expansions would be free while new Javelins could be paid content, but they cannot possibly expect to charge for anything and not get dogpiled on.

Announcing any paid content would be the final nail in Anthem's coffin

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
If they recoup it quickly they can.

I spent $115 on this game (Canada) and didn't even make it through the story mode.

The state this game was shipped in is inexcusable, if you told me it was in development for less than a year I would believe it.
If I were a betting man I would say they probably already made their money back, on people like you (no offense) that fell for the (undeserved) hype. But of course that's not enough. It's a matter of "Can we make this better without spending more than we're going to make, and turn a bigger profit?"

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It looking slightly better then doesn't mean this in the slightest. It's like no one knows what a vertical slice is.
Have you actually watched what you're commenting on? It's not just that it looks better, I don't think it looks bad now. There are multiple systems from the game's promotion materials aren't in the game. Several gameplay systems presented don't exist. Story content shown in a trailer 5 months before the game launched is completely absent. Remember when the Strider was supposed to be your base? These aren't just a graphical downgrade, the game looked and played significantly differently in those demos than it did upon release.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
again, Bioware had 5 years of watching and waiting to get this game right at release. they instead repeated mistakes from 2014/15's SWS. It's too little and too late for players to wait for these kind of games to be in a good state. By the time they get this game to a semblance of a complete experience, their peers will be building on the good foundations they actually built at launch. Not to mention all the new games that will be out.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
This is where the core of the problem exist. There are simply too many other GREAT games, even ones within the same genre to just sit on the sideline and wait for bioware to get their shit together. If the playerbase isn't there the decision will not be theirs whether this game lives or dies.

You hit the nail on the head. Too many great games coming out. Yeah, I'm just going to wait for yall to get your shit together and take a year or two to give us the game that was originally envisioned and pitched...lol nah I took that shit back and am moving on. Division got my money...maybe in a year or 2 ill be back on the cheaps.

You got DMC, Division, Sekiro and days gone coming in hot(or already here)...no bioware. Just fucking no.

Oct 25, 2017
People are still playing it. I get matched on every activity within seconds. on Any of the difficulties.

And this is on PC which probably has the smallest base.

It will be fine. That reddit post though, my god! so entitled. "You guys at Bioware used to come and chat with us all the time and now you dont!" well why is that? Could it have something to do with how toxic reddit was being to these devs? the whole subreddit had a meltdown because bioware fixed the loot cave. i remember destiny players being bummed about getting our loot cave patched out but we got over it pretty fast. these guys are refusing to play the game on higher difficulties.

that whole post reeks of entitlement tbh. their whole excuse for not trying the hardest more rewarding content in the game is that it takes too long. sure the loot drops are low. but come on. thats the case with every game. i played destiny 2 forsaken for 200 hours last year and got like 3 exotic weapons.

This sentiment is a dry fart in a hurricane. Bioware has fucked up badly and no should be defending this miess.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately don't understand how EA sees Destiny and The Division and tries to take the studio known for making RPGs to make a copycat shooter in an already and still increasingly over-crowded market, going up against big name sequels with established audiences.

Meanwhile, Skyrim still sells like five million copies a year, and this same studio would be PERFECT for creating a copycat to that.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought that response was surprisingly sincere and honest. Hopefully they stick to that and actually improve it now.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I had to laugh out loud when one of the reddit OP's points was how forgiving BioWare's fan base is.

Outside of smaller communities that appreciate them (such as their LGBT fanbase), BioWare has one of the most toxic followings imaginable. Even on Era, even pre-Anthem, even pre-Andromeda, even pre-Inquisition, people have had gleeful schadenfreude toward BioWare.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
If I were a betting man I would say they probably already made their money back, on people like you (no offense) that fell for the (undeserved) hype.
Lol, no offense taken. I was given $100 gift from my kid at Xmas, I don't normally preorder but it wasn't "real" money.

Money spent aside (it cost me more to bring the family to the movies), it is the fact that the shipped a game that was unfinished and broken at every level.

Obviously there was pressure to put this out, but at some point there had to be accountability. I'm not talking about killing BioWare or anything that dramatic, but this game is borderline fraudulent on how it was shipped vs easily linkable promises made

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
I have faith in them. The gameplay is solid. If they take a strategic look at the complaints, compare it to their vision (aka they don't cave on every little thing), and execute consistently with continual feedback they could still have something special on their hands.

I personally am taking a break, because of the perfect timing of Division 2, but I have a feeling in the near future there will be some praising articles.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Expansions are free. All they can milk is cosmetic micro-transactions.

Yep this talking point will be the wet sponge over Anthem's head. If early adopters leave and they cant attract new players (which it wont, this game is radioactive) then they won't be able to justify a decent content pipeline.

Wasnt there an article pre-launch about how the future of Bioware depended on Anthem?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm certainly going to keep an eye on Anthem over the next year. I had interest in it, but that quickly faded after reading about the myriad of problems the game has.

Division 2 is going to scratch the itch for a while, and then if Anthem is "good" in a year or so, I'll be sure to check it out.

Good luck to Bioware.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Anthem is here to say. Bioware is not.
Also, how long is it staying? A year?
It wouldn't surprise me if EA pulls most of the staff onto other projects and leaves a skeleton crew to work on the game for a years time before closing it down.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of manpower and time and effort it'll take to fix this mess could be utilized to make a new Mass Effect game. Of course, I know that's not feasible nor remotely possible, but it still saddens me how they wasted so much time and energy on making this trashfire instead of a traditional RPG. Heck, even a disappointing installment like Andromeda and/or Inquisition would've been infinitely better, for me anyway. Ah well. I still wish them the very best!

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Lol, no offense taken. I was given $100 gift from my kid at Xmas, I don't normally preorder but it wasn't "real" money.

Money spent aside (it cost me more to bring the family to the movies), it is the fact that the shipped a game that was unfinished and broken at every level.

Obviously there was pressure to put this out, but at some point there had to be accountability. I'm not talking about killing BioWare or anything that dramatic, but this game is borderline fraudulent on how it was shipped vs easily linkable promises made
Accountability would be firing the executives that allowed this happen, at EA and Bioware. Of course it's not going to happen and the ones that are going to take the fall are the programmers and artists at Bioware, that have exactly zero decisional power over anything relating to Anthem.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
There's a ton of work to be done to get Anthem to where it should be. In the meantime, I'll be playing a ton of Division 2.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017

Except of course you are completely wrong as they aren't selling expansions for this game- everyone gets them for free for the life of the product.

The only thing for sale, outside of the original game purchase, is optional currency to buy cosmetics- which actually might be the most perplexing thing in the game, to me- solely because you would expect since expansions aren't being sold, that the in -game store would be utterly LOADED with cosmetic armor pieces, unique colors, emotes, dances, avatars, avatar frames, and anything they might be able to sell.

But instead, there is barely anything, just a couple items available at a time, that only rotate, like every 3-4 days or something. and everyone pretty much can get anything they want from the tiny available selection thus far, from the free in-game currency right now, with lots of people just sitting on their ever growing stockpile free gold waiting for a worthwhile "purchase".

So, complain bout the game itself, bugs, perceived lack of endgame content/loot, whatever, but you absolutely can't complain about EA/Bioware being stungy or money grubbing "milking" fans for money, as this sure as hell didn't happen on this project.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should fix the PC version if they want people to play it. I can't even play the damn thing still.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, they should have released it as a beta/ early access if the intent was to get it out there and fix it later. At this point I wouldn't touch Anthem with a ten foot pole.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Hello Games managed to turn No Man's Sky into a good and engaging game and managed to win back so much goodwill, so can BioWare. I wish them the best.

Also please stop with the "BioWare is dead" BS, it was tired in 2009 already.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this reminds me of how Roy Moore put out press releases that he hadn't conceded yet weeks after the election

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Except of course you are completely wrong as they aren't selling expansions for this game- everyone gets them for free for the life of the product.

The only thing for sale, outside of the original game purchase, is optional currency to buy cosmetics- which actually might be the most perplexing thing in the game, to me- solely because you would expect since expansions aren't being sold, that the in -game store would be utterly LOADED with cosmetic armor pieces, unique colors, emotes, dances, avatars, avatar frames, and anything they might be able to sell.

But instead, there is barely anything, just a couple items available at a time, that only rotate, like every 3-4 days or something. and everyone pretty much can get anything they want from the tiny available selection thus far, from the free in-game currency right now, with lots of people just sitting on their ever growing stockpile free gold waiting for a worthwhile "purchase".

So, complain bout the game itself, bugs, perceived lack of endgame content/loot, whatever, but you absolutely can't complain about EA/Bioware being stungy or money grubbing "milking" fans for money, as this sure as hell didn't happen on this project.
This is the exact reason I think they just sent the game out to die. Whatever was going on behind the scenes must have been a nightmare.