• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Always hate this game vs this game arguments, but the Division 2 is feature complete, tons of content and only looks like an awesome build upon the momentum they had with fixing the first game (I'm probably 20 hours in at this point). I'm disappointed I bought into Anthem and what it was promising. I don't see ever coming back.

Feb 10, 2018
It's here to stay at the bottom of the charts.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

But In all honesty I wish them luck, it controls really well and has good graphics, it could be a great game, one day.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Fixing Anthem's mistakes means more resources need to be taken from other teams, or they'll take so long everyone will have moved on.

This could delay future BioWare projects like Dragon Age 4 and the next Mass Effect (I think Mike Gamble has already moved on to the next game).

This doesn't bode well as EA just said they have to make "hard decisions about investments", especially for this next fiscal year. It all depends on if EA thinks Anthem is worth investing even more into (they've likely sunk a TON into the project).

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the "turning a good game bad" part.

Do they think players think they turned what was at one point a good game into a bad game?
It's in reference to the Reddit user and the linked document that had a section called: turning a good game bad. They're responding to each section of that user's post.

Turning a good game bad
1. What could have been -
Anthem could have been so much more if it actually hit all the promises made during its E3 press release and during its production cycle, it was the ultimate looter shooter that was to come and prolly obliterate the gaming market with its presence, but that was not what we got.

2. What it currently is -
I don't even know what the game currently is, probably a shallow pool of the ocean that was promised, fading community and false promises, the game is not what it was meant to be and not what it deserves to be.

3. What it could be -
It still isn't too late to save Anthem, with simple communication and progressive fixes we as a community and the developers together can fix this game, it probably wont be what it was initially supposed to be but alteast we can create something that is worth staying for, I pre-ordered No Man's Sky and regretted it very much after launch, but because of the communication that kept coming from Hello Games people stuck around to hear their side of the story and the game right now is galaxies better than it once was and I'm sure Anthem is no exception to that change.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
As someone who plays everyday, there is no reason to play this game. Spend your hard earned cash on something else.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that there's too much to fix, too much to add, and too much to change. Sure, it might be here to stay, but when will it (if at all) be good?
Additionally the game has some fundamental flaws that simply cannot be fixed in any way whatsoever until a sequel is made. That problem being load screens.

Oct 30, 2017
Now Bioware will be split 2/3, 1/3, two thirds making Dragon Age something, and the other third "roadmapping" Anthem. Question is how many people would rather see those resources spent elsewhere

Not sure what the worry is. BioWare Edmonton will mostly be focused on Dragon Age while the other studio will be in main control of Anthem. Not sure how much work was ever shared between them prior to Anthem. As far as I'm concerned Edmonton is BioWare and is perfectly capable of creating DA4 as long as they don't get overly ambitious again like they did with Anthem.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Additionally the game has some fundamental flaws that simply cannot be fixed in any way whatsoever until a sequel is made. That problem being load screens.

Major engine improvements can technically improve loading screens. There are Skyrim mods on PC that remove loading screens from towns, which couldn't be done on consoles at the time for memory reasons. I can also swear that Warframe or WOW or some other MMO style game removed them years later. It's no simple task, and I doubt Bioware would do it, but it's not impossible. Just really hard.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You see this with the daily "biggest disappointment" "what game will bomb the hardest this year" and "what went wrong with X" threads on Era as well.

Part of me thinks it's just projection of the gamer tendency to be self-loathing and the weird internalization of games that people have on here where bad games are considered to be personal attacks on them, so they relish when the makers of those games are "punished"
It's pretty embarrassing to say the least. It's one thing to criticize a game, especially when that game deserves the criticism. Anthem is a flawed game with some very real problems, and there is nothing wrong with pointing those problems out. However, its another thing to go around saying "well this game is actually still on it's deathbed even though the devs are saying otherwise." If you're running around spouting that nonsense it's obviously because you want the game to fail and you want the studio to suffer. It's sad and shows how ignorant gamers are of the real life implications such a failure would have (aka people losing their jobs).

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Major engine improvements can technically improve loading screens. There are Skyrim mods on PC that remove loading screens from towns, which couldn't be done on consoles at the time for memory reasons. I can also swear that Warframe or WOW or some other MMO style game removed them years later. It's no simple task, and I doubt Bioware would do it, but it's not impossible. Just really hard.
I know it can be done. Like Warframe changed its entire renderer and shifted to PBR, but Warframe was designed to be the only game DE worked on.
What I'm saying is that it won't happen because Anthem is clearly not meant to be a game that the developers want to last 5-6 years without a sequel, additionally....Bioware is not the kind to release mod tools that allow as much changes like Bethesda does.

Because these are the kind of things that you implement in the design stage and aim for it from the get go. If they aimed for it and yet couldn't achieve it (it being a game world not separated by load screens) then something else went terribly wrong in development somewhere.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
tenor.gif

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I know it can be done. Like Warframe changed its entire renderer and shifted to PBR, but Warframe was designed to be the only game DE worked on.
What I'm saying is that it won't happen because Anthem is clearly not meant to be a game that the developers want to last 5-6 years without a sequel, additionally....Bioware is not the kind to release mod tools that allow as much changes like Bethesda does.

Because these are the kind of things that you implement in the design stage and aim for it from the get go. If they aimed for it and yet couldn't achieve it (it being a game world not separated by load screens) then something else went terribly wrong in development somewhere.

Oh I agree with you. I just wanted to point out the technicality.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The joke is that EA said the game was completed a few months ago and not rushed, and they choose February for marketing reasons.
Never trust EA, this game definitely needed more time in the oven.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
They have so much to fix and on top of that they have to add content that is worthwhile. I can't really see them doing both. I feel like this will just turn out to be like the Andromeda situation and just get abandoned.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The Division 2 will be the worst bug of them all to effect the Anthem player base.

And that bug is working as intended.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worked out for Andromeda

And we're done here.

Doesn't matter what nice sentiment Bioware devs post on Reddit. It's literally lip service.

Doesn't help that early impressions of Division 2 are extremely positive because that game actually learned from the mistakes of Division 1 and is launching with a huge suite of content and a very meaningful-sounding end game.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
The endgame for Anthem for me basically became "can I platinum this?"

And I probably could, if so many of the trophies weren't glitched. I might pop back in to fly around and shoot some shit every once in awhile, but after tomorrow (Div 2) and Sekiro next week I doubt I give this any serious playtime anytime soon if possibly ever again. I liked it more and played it twice as long as Destiny 2 at least.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The 1-2 punch of a good destiny dlc and division dropping is going to Ivan Drogo knock them out.

That sucks because with time that game can be very good. I just hope EA lets them do what they want.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the versions, the PC version plays the best. What issue are you having that's preventing you from playing? We've got some smart cookies on this forum that might be able to help.
I feel like that says more about the console versions than the PC one. :P

There's not much of a solution. The issue is due to the way the game prioritises threads. Basically it pushes keyboard/mouse inputs behind rendering things which causes extreme input lag when a lot is going on. The only solutions people have found is to try and free up CPU by capping the FPS lower, or turning off affinity for a core in the task manager. The problem is my CPU is old enough that it already is struggling a bit so doing either of those would mean FPS I'm less than happy with.

Even beyond that, the game feels stuttery despite the fact I was getting 40-50.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If only the press and gaming audience had given some indication of incredible disinterest in this game from the moment it was revealed to the moment it was released...

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So long as Dragon Age 4 is still on the way and not delayed in order to fix this mess, fine.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So long as Dragon Age 4 is still on the way and not delayed in order to fix this mess, fine.

DA4 has already been put on the back burner over 2 years ago to help resolve Andromeda and anthem issues. That's on top of it being resdesigned to better incorporate a multiplayer component rather than it's splintered off coop mode from Inquisition according to kotaku. So it's already a victim in all this.

There's no other reason for them delaying a sequel to their best selling game ever this long.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Based on how quickly BFV and F76 dropped in price I thought Anthem would be $40 (or less) by now. Can't believe it's still $60.

Maybe I'll buy it when it's $30. I did have fun with the 10-hour trial.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DA4 has already been put on the back burner over 2 years ago to help resolve Andromeda and anthem issues. That's on top of it being resdesigned to better incorporate a multiplayer component rather than it's splintered off coop mode from Inquisition according to kotaku. So it's already a victim in all this.

There's no other reason for them delaying a sequel to their best selling game ever this long.
Fuck.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017

I'm curious about this - you happen to have any receipts?

Solid & measured response by Darokaz.

Reminds me of Ghostcrawler back in the day on the WoW forums - nothing but vitriol and criticism and he was there all the time addressing things and speaking with the community. He made a good point about the Devs - why would they come around when they're just going to get told by their own community to 'eat shit' or something because a mechanic in a video game isn't 'where it should be'?

Anthem has the potential to be incredible, and I hope the MC score and the bigger-than-fallout-76 backlash hasn't dissuaded them from getting the game there.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good. I mean I knew they would be tasked with continuing support as it is utterly mind boggling that people think they'd just abandon the game, but putting it out there in plain English for people certainly clears the air.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if BioWare can turn things around and make the game better with little to no problems or bugs, I welcome it.

The only reason why I'm taking part in the boycott is that the game feels like it is punishing me for playing it because of all the problems with the game at the moment. This ranges from not just the loot drops, but all other performance issues plaguing the game.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
What is the context of this tweet? I have no idea who these people are or what they are taking about.
On launch day of Mass Effect Andromeda, a guy on Twitter asked if there was going to be patch to fix the game's numerous issues. A guy from Bioware responded they were "looking at" patching the game, and that they "want to" support it.

Of course, they don't necessarily get the final say, much like Bioware doesn't necessarily get to choose the capacity in which they can improve Anthem's quality and/or lifespan. Much of that falls to EA to decide - which, given their past record of action in light of underperforming products, isn't a very good sign.

takufox

Oct 27, 2017
OOOOhhhh sure just like how they were committed to fixing ME:Andromeda. I hope everyone that bought Anthem gets their money's worth eventually.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EA isn't closing down Bioware, jesus.
Activision didn't sell bungie, they never owned them or anything.
Activision sold a company they didn't own?
Tch..don't nitpick, you know what I mean.

The point is not whether Bioware is shutting down or Bungie wasn't really sold off. The point is we won't know squat what decision will be taken especially in an EA boardroom, so Bioware saying something reassuring isn't really that much.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Tch..don't nitpick, you know what I mean.

The point is not whether Bioware is shutting down or Bungie wasn't really sold off. The point is we won't know squat what decision will be taken especially in an EA boardroom, so Bioware saying something reassuring isn't really that much.
These are multimillion dollar corporations so of course you won't know anything until it happens. I don't get what your point is besides stating the most obvious thing in the world. Why would Bioware ever say anything but that they'll support the game? It's called PR every company does it.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
OOOOhhhh sure just like how they were committed to fixing ME:Andromeda. I hope everyone that bought Anthem gets their money's worth eventually.
im like 40 something hours deep. And i seem to be on the low end as far as ppl in the anthem OT

def worth my money. The games actually pretty good i guess if ur playing on Xb1x....and dont run into the brick wall of endgame grind. Which is where im at rn. Im still not lvl 30....so the games awesome still

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
This shit doesn't surprise me at all and it shouldn't surprise you guys. Look at the way BioWare has handled the old republic. Anthem is just Swtor over again.