• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There was once a time when I would have considered Bioware my favorite developer.

Thanks for the memories I suppose.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't the backlash against Destiny or the positive support of companies like Cd Projekt Red showed the industry anything?

What backlash against Destiny?

Oh, you mean the tempest-in-a-teapot that only existed on enthusiast sites that are completely irrelevant to the industry at large.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
We could be getting KotOR, Dragon Age, Jade Empire, a decent Mass Effect game, but instead a grindy genre based off addiction and not player fun.

Hopefully Playground emerges as a bonafide western RPG dev to balance the death of Bioware.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hC4XgpT.gif

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope papa ea doesn't do to bioware what they did to so many studios previously...hell papa ea should step back and just let them make great games, and not force monetezation bull crap in there.

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
What goes on in these boardrooms?

People online complaining about Division being too much like Destiny.
People in game complaining about Destiny.
People on forums complaining about Destiny.
People on Youtube complaining about Destiny.
Bungie trying to keep good faith and struggling.

Suits in the EA boardroom: "Let's make a game like Destiny."

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

To this day, I haven't even played either Destiny game. I was interested after the initial reveal because it seemed like a cool-ass sci-fi story. But then when they introduced all these MMO elements, I was like nah, I'm out.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AiL1gch.gif

It's a shame what they are doing to Bioware. It's not like it was unexpected though, I mean they showed it with Westworld, Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, etc.

Why can't games just be games? Like just games you pay 59.99 for and get the full experience with nothing locked or walled off, like games used to be.

Hasn't the backlash against Destiny or the positive support of companies like Cd Projekt Red showed the industry anything?

Yeah look at the failures that are Overwatch, Rainbox Six Siege, Fortnite, PUBG, etc etc. Hasn't the industry learned what people want by now? They want single player experiences without additional content.

Wait The Witcher 3 has a ton of additional content...

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They are moving to a new building pretty soon which I imagine might also bring with it some level of expansion but as it stands there's only 2 teams in Edmonton. One is working on Anthem and the other is working on ????? but... you know it's the portion of the office that was working on dragon age titles. Also with Anthem being in what I can assume are the waning months of development the entire place might be attempting to ship it first. A few key team members left the non anthem side of things which always says to me that whatever game was being made was going in a direction they disagreed with... or just straight up cancelled ?

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure they're saying something along the lines of what content is provided and the monetisation of said content.

A Witcher 3 DLC is vastly different from an Overwatch map or a skin.

When the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine was out my buddy grabbed it for 10$. Another friend bought a Destiny emote for 10$. One enjoyed 30+ hours of content, in a new environment with amazing stories. The other one did a dance and teabagged in PvP and got bored after a day.

how long after anthem?

Probably a failed mainline title per studio then working on lacklustre DLC for other titles or underperforming spin-offs of battlefield after core staff have long gone.

If we're following Visceral...

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah look at the failures that are Overwatch, Rainbox Six Siege, Fortnite, PUBG, etc etc. Hasn't the industry learned what people want by now? They want single player experiences without additional content.

Wait The Witcher 3 has a ton of additional content...

Yes the Witcher 3 has a ton of additional content.

It had 16 DLC's initially, 16 dlc's that were given for free to every-single-person that bought the game.

Then after the game was out for a bit they dropped an expansion, Hearts of Stone, that added over 14 hours of new gameplay for a whopping $10 that included all new new quests/monsters/gear.

Then about 6 months later they dropped the next expansion, Blood and Wine, that added around 28 hours of new gameplay and quests/gear/monsters, for $20.

Or you could buy both together for a whole $25.

So roughly 40+ hours of new content for $25 bucks, how does that compare to nickel and diming dlc and microtransactions that wall off content or that affect the single player game to drive you toward purchasing dlc items?

There is a huge difference between post-game expansions that offer a lot of content vs lootboxes and microtransactions with the game designed to push players to buying said items.

Samikaze!!

Oct 29, 2017
SF Bay Area
To this day, I haven't even played either Destiny game. I was interested after the initial reveal because it seemed like a cool-ass sci-fi story. But then when they introduced all these MMO elements, I was like nah, I'm out.

I cracked and rented D2 because my friend kept bugging me.
If you're into those games, more power to you, but I couldn't stand it for more than a week.

Strangely, I loved The Division. Maybe it was the setting.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the Witcher 3 has a ton of additional content.

It had 16 DLC's initially, 16 dlc's that were given for free to every-single-person that bought the game.

Then after the game was out for a bit they dropped an expansion, Hearts of Stone, that added over 14 hours of new gameplay for a whopping $10 that included all new new quests/monsters/gear.

Then about 6 months later they dropped the next expansion, Blood and Wine, that added around 28 hours of new gameplay and quests/gear/monsters, for $20.

Or you could buy both together for a whole $25.

So roughly 40+ hours of new content for $25 bucks, how does that compare to nickel and diming dlc and microtransactions that wall off content or that affect the single player game to drive you toward purchasing dlc items?

There is a huge difference between post-game expansions that offer a lot of content vs lootboxes and microtransactions with the game designed to push players to buying said items.

Yeah there's a huge difference between a constant stream of new characters, emotes, maps, weapons, etc that these games get. Depending on the game all that stuff can be totally free. You're not comparing the DLC to one thing because they're two different business models.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a Mass Effect MMO I'm game. Make the best out of a bad situation.
Yeah, that probably would have been a better direction for Andromeda honestly. Have a bunch of worlds to explore and colonize and include regular updates to add characters, story missions, new species, etc.

Even if it had been as buggy and suck as much Andromeda did at launch, if they'd given the game a subscription (or some other monetization method) they could have still had some wiggle room to save it with a few content updates and additional bug fixes.
Dragon Age: Inquisition was our last Bioware game. Whoever made Andromeda, it wasn't any Bioware we know.
I still have the tiniest glimmer of hope that Dragon Age 4 might still be well made.

I replayed Inquisition recently (after beating Andromeda) since I had only played it once (without DLC) and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Granted I skipped a lot of the optional side quests, and I did download a mod to remove the wait timers on those table missions.

Last edited:

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
So they are looking for someone who knows how to screw people in the ass with microtransactions. How nice.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AiL1gch.gif

It's a shame what they are doing to Bioware. It's not like it was unexpected though, I mean they showed it with Westworld, Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, etc.

Why can't games just be games? Like just games you pay 59.99 for and get the full experience with nothing locked or walled off, like games used to be.

Ask Activision Blizzard, Take Two or even EA if they prefer this model or CDProject model when they have results much better than them.

What about the backlash that Battlefront 2 got?

Yeah, they got a big one. They probably are going to change their strategy for non-sports games after this or at least no put it in a big franchise like Star Wars. But about the sales of the game and seeing it's position in the NPD, it probably sold very well. But that's a thing that we'll know when they have thei earnings released.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
If Bungie couldnt do it right, i have 0 faith in an EA owned company to do this right.

Less money for me to spend on games I guess
Unlike Bungie, an EA studio with the BioWare brand attached to it actually has experience developing and sustaining a long-running MMO. That alone should earn them at least 1 faith over a studio that keeps designing their "shared worlds" as if they were standalone linear campaigns.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Correct me if iI'm wrong but I thought Destiny 2 sold a fk ton, even more than Destiny 1, despite the backlash in the internet. Also Overwatch and PUBG are considered service game, no ?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Unlike Bungie, an EA studio with the BioWare brand attached to it actually has experience developing and sustaining a long-running MMO. That alone should earn them at least 1 faith over a studio that keeps designing their "shared worlds" as if they were standalone linear campaigns.
you say "EA studio" like it's a good thing..

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

Well, let's go look at NPD for a second:

2017's best selling games overall
  1. Call of Duty: WWII
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Destiny 2*
  4. Madden NFL 18
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  8. Star Wars: Battlefront II 2017*
  9. Super Mario Odyssey**
  10. Mario Kart 8**
2015's best selling games overall
  1. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
  2. Battlefield 1 (EA)
  3. Tom Clancy's The Division (Ubisoft)
  4. NBA 2K17 (Take-Two)
  5. Madden NFL 17 (EA)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two)
  7. Overwatch (Activision Blizzard)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard)
  9. FIFA 17 (EA)
  10. Final Fantasy XV (Square Enix)
2014's best selling games overall

1. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)** Activision Blizzard
2. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, XBO, PS3)** Electronic Arts
3. Destiny (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)** Activision Blizzard
4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)** Take 2 Interactive
5. Minecraft (360, PS3, XBO, PS4) Microsoft / Sony
6. Super Smash Bros.(3DS, NWU)** Nintendo
7. NBA 2K15 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC) Take 2 Interactive
8. Watch Dogs (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC, NWU)** Ubisoft
9. FIFA 15 (360, PS4, XBO, PS3, Wii, 3DS, PSV)** Electronic Arts
10. Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, NWU, PC)** Activision Blizzard
You might notice a trend.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
You mean the mmo that flopped hard and went f2p with lootboxes?

Or the mmo that was restructured and went f2p because the storylines were broken?

Wait, thats the same EA mmo

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I revisited SWTOR over the holidays and it remains one of the more fucked up "services". People who think Destiny is bad are in for one hell of a ride.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Live service or GAAS is not necessarily evil, if it's done right it can be fantastic. I mean, Destiny could have been incredible if only it delivered on its initial concepts and scope, so no reason to dismiss their future games by default. But Anthem will be their showing in this genre, if they fail that there'll be a lot of people who won't join next time around.