• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Anthem is going to be a success no matter what, especially with Destiny essentially killing it self. Bioware going to become an Anthem factory.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Cool, less BioWare games to buy.

It's not that I wish them failing (they really need a success after that ME Andromeda fiasco), but for me Anthem looks really unappealing. It's sad to hear that they intend to follow that path even further.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, let's go look at NPD for a second:

You might notice a trend.

And that's not even counting the revenue from MTX and loot boxes that those games have. No matter what some people on here think, service based games are what people want so it makes sense for bioware to start to move over to these types of games. Of course now the question is if they are well equipped to handle this type of game or not?

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hate to break it to y'all, but Bioware's been making live services games since Mass Effect 3's multiplayer made moolah.

Erm, what?

They tried it with DA:I and it was a huge flop as nobody wanted to play the mp in that game.

They tried it with Andromeda which also flopped.

Think before you post.

OT Anthem will be riddled with sneaky MT stuff but I do think people are starting to wise up now. Bioware could go the way of Visceral imo, but the more victims that are created by EA/Activision greed, the less companies will want to be consumed by them in the first place. Its a shame because 5 years ago a game like Anthem would have me hyped as fuck. Right now, I yawn inside at the thought of how tiresome the MT side will be.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the mmo that flopped hard and went f2p with lootboxes?
You mean what happened to the entire genre when the old business model collapsed, leaving hardly any survivors?
The thing people actually asked for because no-one wanted to pay subscription fees anymore?

All I'm saying is that they have a slightly higher chance of getting it right because one of the studios involved has actually developed a game of this scope before.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing there are plenty of other developers these days developing WRPGs.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish that Bioware would just focus on making great games, with great stories, great, deep gameplay systems, and great characters again instead of trying to make a platform to sell random chance bullshit to attempt to maximize revenue per user and fish for whales. Wishes just don't count for much these days. The EA infection is incurable at this point.

RIP Bioware. Your name lives on, but your spirit is no longer present.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What goes on in these boardrooms?

People online complaining about Division being too much like Destiny.
People in game complaining about Destiny.
People on forums complaining about Destiny.
People on Youtube complaining about Destiny.
Bungie trying to keep good faith and struggling.

Suits in the EA boardroom: "Let's make a game like Destiny."
Destiny 2 was third best selling game of 2017 in USA. And that's just sales of the game itself. Add micros and the fact that it will keep people paying for about 4 years and it's no wonder everyone wants in on this model

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
The game will obviously sell really well. But I'm sure it's not going to be a good game.

Bungie keep tripping over themselves with Destiny, I can't see Bioware doing better.

Nov 6, 2017
Since this is the year of remasters, remaster ME trilogy but instead of giving us the DLC, put them in lootboxes that you can buy with real money in the citadel. Also with 0.1% chance to drop. Hire me EA.

Mikey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think it's safe to add Bioware to the Pandemic, Maxis, Westwood, Bullfrog list of developers now.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I hope they focus first on making a good game and not a money machine, like Bungie with Destiny. But it's EA who am I kidding, don't get your hopes up.

Oct 29, 2017
" bioware "

tumblr_ljv1aaccJM1qitfwho1_400.gif

Oh no it was EA all along. Gosh who would've thought.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. So getting a good dragon age, ME or any other good single player RPGs just isn't happening anymore right? Sad to see what has happened to bioware over the years.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that releases a patch these days is called GaaS.

Bioware's real issue is an insane nosedive in IP quality, shitty writing and completely losing gamers confidence.

If they become an Anthem factory that will alienate some of their fans even if the game is okay. Then there are some worries about how hard they push the MTs and loot boxes.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Dragon Age 4 confirmed to launch with loot boxes that unlock side quests.

That is correct. And proper.
"-Buy our Biocrates for a chance to win sidequests. Buy a chance to win better rewards."
"-Hey, look people i 've got mission #42 which enables the elven romance."
"-And i 've got mission #57 which rewards the legendary turdknife weapon upon completion."
"-Buy now during our double Biocrate reward weekend for a chance to win the pinky dress for your romantic interest."
"-Unboxing in Thedas is fun."

Bioware, hire me.

/s

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, GAAS aren't bad. Monster Hunter World is game as a service I guess.

EA GAAS are a different beast though...

RIP Dragon Age 4?

Oct 25, 2017
They need to go in a different direction if you ask me. Their last few endeavours with the types of games they have always made have been getting worse and worse, so they may as well try something different.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Don't judge me, but I have a soft spot for 2 ;)

I hear yoy, after finishing all of origins and the dlc and seeing the shit mountain thread on gaf I had to see for myself how it played out. There are things I liked but alot more I hated (the combat, the small amount of locations, etc.) But the story kept me going. Ended up beating it but damn...I wanted that baldur's gate vibe the first one gave me. I'm not going to get into inquisition, I couldn't even get through it

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Well, thanks for the memories, I guess.

I guess the alternative is to shut them down. At least this way people will still be in jobs but the likelihood of me even playing them is very low.

jbluzb

Jan 7, 2018
sad this has happened to one of my favorite developers, makers of rpgs that introduce me to gaming

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's where the money is. Not in tightly crafted single player experiences, but in controlled, online environments. Always being adjusted to fit their own selfish needs. On the one hand you have some people complaining, on the other hand: people are buying into it and give them lots and lots of money. In the end that's all they care about: they're willing to suffer through the bullshit (well not them directly of course, but the people working for them) because they know it rakes in the cash, moreso than by other, more traditional means. This isn't a fad, this is the future and a bleak one at that.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well....good luck, I guess.

I understand why it makes sense to go that direction. It's just sad that I'm not in their customer base they want to target anymore.
Ironically enough, they've made a good multiplayer game (pseudo-MMO, if you will) already with Neverwinter Nights.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So... I guess this is goodbye to semi-linear Mass Effect games with good storytelling & characters. I had some hope they could fix their mistake after Andromeda and get back to what people loved about the trilogy after Anthem & the next Dragon Age come out...but alas.
At least, we'll always have these 3 ME classic games right? *sigh*

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Anthem is going to be a success no matter what, especially with Destiny essentially killing it self. Bioware going to become an Anthem factory.

Let's not jump the gun. Games not out yet .

Strong initial sales don't make a GAAS title , it's playe retention paying for dlcs etc .

Bioware is not known for good combat so generally speaking that's what keeps players around on these type of titles .

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You mean the mmo that flopped hard and went f2p with lootboxes?

Or the mmo that was restructured and went f2p because the storylines were broken?

Wait, thats the same EA mmo
That game is sucessful. SWTOR went over $1 billion revenue in 2015 and had it's two most sucessful expansions since then.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Let's not jump the gun. Games not out yet .

Strong initial sales don't make a GAAS title , it's playe retention paying for dlcs etc .

Bioware is not known for good combat so generally speaking that's what keeps players around on these type of titles .
7 out of 10 best selling games of 2017 are GaaS titles. They sold well and gain continues revenue on top of that.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I've already put Bioware in the back of the closet next to Valve, Bungie and all the other shit I used to care about.

But nevermind, there's literally dozens of great developers making wonderful games for me to spend my money and time on, can hardly complain.