• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
767.png

# 767 - Wimpod
Bug/Water

Wimpod is perhaps the "Magikarp" of Generation VII more than Wishiwashi is, an extremely weak Pokemon that evolves into a fairly powerful Pokemon. It was also revealed as our first new Bug/Water Pokemon since Surskit, as Dewpider wasn't revealed till quite a bit later when the game leaked, and I was excited, but since it seemed right from the get-go to occupy that Magikarp niche I had a sinking feeling that Bug-type would be replaced by a cooler Type, such as Dragon, or Steel. Thankfully I was wrong, and its evolution in fact became an extremely iconic Bug-type in the narrative, but what about Wimpod?

Well, it's a wimp. You can tell as much when you encounter it on the overworld (a taste of things to come?), where it'll instantly flee from you. If it escapes, I believe you just need to leave the area and return, but once you know where it'll appear it's pretty easy to jump on Tauros and charge at it. You can first encounter it on Akala Island, but it pops up a bit elsewhere---may as well just catch it. When you do, don't plan on using it. Apart from its Speed (super fast by Alolan standards) everything else about it is horrible, and all it learns naturally is Struggle Bug and Sand Attack. It does have some TM compatibility, but nothing useful except perhaps in Sun and Moon giving it Scald to quickly burn the opponent. For the most part, until it evolves at Level 30, keep it in your reserves and turn on EXP. Share.

Another thing worth noting is its Ability, Wimp Out. When its HP drops below half its maximum HP, it'll instantly flee if it's a Wild Battle, or switch itself out in a Trainer Battle. It only activates as soon as its HP drops below that threshold, so if you go into battle already hurt and less than half, it won't flee unless you somehow heal it back above the halfway point and it drops again. Also passive damage from weather effects won't activate Wimp Out, and there's quite a bit of other little details here and there involving what counts as its HP dropping below half, but basically just know that if use Wimpod, expect to find yourself constantly being forced to switch out or run. Hope you're not fighting a Shiny! Not that you'll be using it much in this form, but...

Wimpod is an isopod, a small arthropod. They're pretty cool, and you probably know about that sick rad one that replaces a fish's tongue---oh, how I wish we got that! Wimpod is based on the little Ligia genus of isopod it seems, as they're parimarily land dwelling (though live near water much like Wimpod), and are able to scurry along the ground rather quickly to avoid predation. And that's basically why Wimpod is, well, wimpy. Like some isopods Wimpod is also known as a useful scavenger Pokemon that helps clean beaches as it basically eats anything it comes across, so it's seen as an environmentally friendly Pokemon by the people of Alola. It may be a coward, but it seems it has a much better rep than the oft-insulted Magikarp.

Nothing really major from them in the anime. One episode had Ash meet a bunch of them on an abandoned island and won them over by helping rescue one that was trapped. This was another species I remember a lot of folks speculating that Ash would eventually catch, but that never happened.

768.png

# 768 - Golisopod
Bug/Water

Wimpod evolves at Level 30 into the mighty Golisopod! Although this Pokemon may look pretty impressive, looking it over reveals a much more disappointing picture. Though it does sort of exist as the "Gyarados" equivalent, the latter evolves by Level 20, while Golisopod is a whole ten levels later. By this point you can acquire fairly powerful Pokemon such as Araquanid and Mudsdale, and your Starter is close to reaching its final form as well, so Golisopod's huge jump in stats don't carry the same impressive weight as they might have had you been able to obtain it in the early 20s where few Pokemon were capable of evolving.

Statistically, it has powerful Attack, but is held back by its poor Speed. And not just poor in general, even by Alola standards 40 Speed isn't good. The only other really exciting thing it has going for it is its heavy Defense, which is nice since two of its three weaknesses are mainly Physical, but I definitely would have traded some of that Defense for a slight more Speed. That being said, when you put it up against the right Pokemon it can certainly take some damage, but if you're looking for a fast attacked you'll mainly leave disappointed...except for one notable exception.

First Impression. Learning it upon evolution, it's a powerful Bug-type move with increased priority, though it can only be used when Golisopod first comes to the field. Once you use it you can't use it again unless you switch Golisopod out and bring him back in, which is thankfully not too difficult in single-player if you have the switch options set to on. Kill an opponent with it, switch out, kill that Pokemon, switch Golisopod back in, and repeat. You'll get another possible priority move shortly after in Sucker Punch, though Golisopod is kind of want for moves as when it evolves at Level 30, it misses out on a lot of moves before then, with the only other decent move being Liquidation at Level 48 till you get near the end of the game where you can give it powerful TMs and utilize the Move Relearner.

But what really put me off on using Golisopod in-game was its sole Ability, Emergency Exit. Make no mistake, this is the exact same Ability as Wimp Out simply under another name. That's actually a common theme with this line, by the way. In Japan, Wimpod and Golisopod have the exact same category phonetically, but the context changes with Wimpod's meaning "cowardly" and Golispod's meaning "armored". Pretty neat, but Emergency Exit being Wimp Out is not. Generally being forced to switch out against your will isn't fun, and while it's meant to work together with First Impression, I'd gladly sacrifice it for another Ability other than Emergency Exit.

All in all Golisopod is by no means a bad Pokemon, just annoying to use in-game. You can't do anything with its pre-evolution, and when it does evolve it starts out with little in the way of variety, and unless you build your team around it Emergency Exit is situational at best. In the competitive scene, Golisopod has a lot going for it with a good Type and First Impression, but Emergency Exit just brings that all crashing down. It can't set up, and moves like Stealth Rock can actually activate First Impression, meaning it'll just be recalled and then sent back out once more to take additional Stealth Rock damage. Maybe Generation VIII will give it a Hidden Ability---oh, I guess now I had to add "if it makes it in"---or they'll change how Emergency Exit works, but for now using Golisopod takes a lot of effort that may outweigh its positive points.

In the games, you'll definitely associated Golisopod with your boy, Guzma. It's his signature Pokemon across all mediums, and it can be pretty scary. Sure, it's easy to counter if you know it's coming by exploiting its Ability, but you'll probably have one of your Pokemon taken out by First Impression before you can react. His Golisopod switches up its moves throughout the various fights---the story fights, post-game fights, Battle Tree---but he always carries that. Oh, and he usually augments it with other priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch. Truth be told, of all of Guzma's Pokemon it was always his Masquerain which shocked me the most in how surprisingly powerful it seemed to be. Maybe because it outsped my entire team in Sun and could hit pretty hard with Air Slash?

It took me awhile to realize this Pokemon was "goliath + isopod", because for the longest time I called it "go-lisso-pod". It's based on a giant isopod, which if you've ever heard of the species you've probably seen a picture of one of these intimidating dudes. The giant isopod isn't as big as Golisopod, naturally, but they're not something I'd want to run into under any circumstances. Anyway, Game Freak took this animal and turned it into a samurai basically. Not exactly the most cleverest of concepts, but a striking design nonetheless and one of the coolest Pokemon to come out of Generation VII. I actually really wanted to see it in Smash as a surprise Pokemon newcomer, with Guzma crouching in the background, but due to Ultimate being a "celebration" of Smash as opposed to a mere installment like previous titles, I get them wanting to go with a Pokemon like Incineroar who might outlive Alola as opposed to a Pokemon that will probably remain associated with it.

Guzma really kept us waiting in the anime. Team Skull had been characters in the show since day one, but there was no mention of Guzma for the longest time, even as the anime covered all the plotlines he was involved in in the games such as Ula'Ula and the Aether Foundation. He finally appeared in Episode 115(!), and it seems the show will be focused on his dislike of Alola's customs and his past with Kukui, with him wanting to destroy the upcoming Alola League. Golisopod here is his signature Pokemon and gets to show off its strength with a battle with Pikachu. Golispod manages to wear down Pikachu quite a bit but Emergency Exit kicks in. Though Guzma explains that Golisopod deemed Pikachu too weak to bother with, which may or may not be the truth. Regardless, Guzma will definitely be a major player in the Pokemon League, and I imagine he'll probably end up sweeping one of Ash's friends in order to hype him up. I'm guessing Sophocles to prove his mastery of Bug-type Pokemon.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
AlcalĆ” de Henares, Spain
Golisopod is one of my favourite PokƩmon ever now. Such a cool creature. Emergency Exit took me for a ride though. I would constantly forget about it like an idiot and I ended up fleeing in both Lunala and Tapu Koko encounters. So anticlimatic.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like they should've disabled it in major story fights against Wild Pokemon.

I know it's cancelled out when fighting Wild Pokemon in Trials.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
769.png

# 769 - Sandygast
Ghost/Ground

Our second Ghost/Ground Golett and Golurk, Sandygast can be encountered at Hano Beach on Akala Island. I don't recall you ever having to visit this area, so it's another Pokemon you may possibly overlook, but if you want to add an interesting Pokemon to your team there's not too many like Sandygast. If you're playing Ultra Moon you can also catch one via a sidequest on Route 15, but apart from being at a slightly higher level there's nothing particularly interesting about this Sandygast to set it apart. The one thing to note about Sandygast is that it evolves at a surprisingly high level, Level 42, so you'll be stuck with the weak first form for quite awhile.

As a Ghost/Ground Pokemon Sandygast boasts three impressive immunities to Normal, Fighting, and Electric-type attacks, but unfortunately also has quite a bit of weaknesses. Against the right opponent it can potentially block all of their attacks, and with Sand Tomb you can then trap them to keep them virtually helpless, but against the wrong opponent Sandygast will run into some trouble. It's painfully slow, and all it has going for it is good Defense---which isn't good since most of it weaknesses tend to be Special.

It has decent enough Special Attack to not be totally useless, though this means that its Ground STAB will be pretty worthless until it picks up Earth Power near the end of the game post-evolution. Its Ghost-type STAB is also pretty much wasted with its only Ghost-type move early on being Astonish until you can get Shadow Ball later via Level Up or TM. Interestingly, it learns all the absorption Grass-type moves which can help it counter Water-type Pokemon, if it isn't taken out by them first. Other than that, Hypnosis and Sand Tomb might be useful perhaps for catching Pokemon, but overall Sandygast does not seem like a fun Pokemon to use.

Its Hidden Ability is Sand Veil---pretty worthless outside of competitive play, though it's banned in Smogon, but it does have a unique default Ability in Water Compaction. It sharply raises Sandygast's Defense when it's hit by Water-type moves. This seems like one of those Abilities that should also include "it negates the damage" like similar Abilities that boost stats when hit by a certain Type of move, but nope, Sandygast takes the super effective hit before the buff. Add to the fact that most Water-type moves are Special, as are the Grass, Ghost, and Ice-type moves Sandygast is also weak to, and you're left with a rather worthless Ability outside of a few niche cases. At best, since Water Shuriken activates the Ability for each hit, a fast but weak Accelgor ally with the move can get Sandygast super defensive without killing it first?

Sandygast I feel is more or less the closest we've ever come to a straight up "bed sheet" ghost, though it's made of sand. I mean, pretend the sand is a sheet, and you pretty much got a classic Western-style ghost! Anyway, Sandygast is usually considered the Trubbish of Generation VII, a Pokemon that seems to make a lot of folks mad simply for being a simple idea. It's a haunted sandcastle. Personally, I think it's pretty cute, but I remember a lot of folks getting rather upset with it.

The lore behind it is pretty cool. It's basically cursed sand carrying the grudges of fallen Pokemon, and children are warned to demolish their sand mounds after playing on the beach lest a Sandygast rise! They're also child predator Pokemon, able to control those who dare to stick their hand in its mouth or touch the shovel. Once you're under its control, it will force you to pile more sand atop it and make it larger. It seems it cannot form itself, and relies on others to do its bidding. By the way, Shiny Sandygast is pretty cool as it's based on "black sand", which is the color sand will turn near volcanoes due to desposits of basalt. Interestingly in Ultra Sun, a side quest seems to imply Sandygast---at least the regular ones---do not like black sand.

The anime didn't back away from Sandygast's weird child possession, as Kiawe informed the gang to be wary of random shovels in the sand lest they end up put under a spell like he once was. Ash and friends, of course, manage to screw things up rather quickly and cause Sandygast to lose its shovel. Ash tries to make amends by temporarily placing Rotom in its place, but that only makes Sandygast angry, and then it begins to evolve...

770.png

# 770 - Palossand
Ghost/Ground

At the somewhat ridiculous Level 42---okay, it's not Unova bad but still!---Sandygast evolves into Palossand. For such a high level, its stats must be pretty great right? Well, not really. The only thing it "excels" in is Defense, and as I said before that doesn't really mesh with its Type---this is a Pokemon I feel they should've switched its Defense around with its Special Defense, and likewise change how Water Compaction works. While I'm not optimistic the stats will ever change like that, I do think it's possible they could buff Water Compaction in a future game, so here's hoping. Otherwise there's nothing stand out about it as it's painfully slow, and its Special Attack is just usable, but nothing to brag about. I feel like maybe Game Freak thought having three resistances meant it shouldn't be particularly powerful stats-wise, but surely a bit more HP or Special Attack could've been given to it!

Move wise though by this point you'll have Shadow Ball right before it evolves, and then you'll get Earth Power a few levels later. That's pretty much its best two offensive moves and all you'll need, alongside Giga Drain as a nice counter to Water-type Pokemon and a way to heal. Speaking of healing, Palossand learns its Signature Move Shore Up at Level 54. It's a reliable healing move that heals a good 1/2 HP under normal circumstances, but if you happen to use it in a Sandstorm it restores 2/3rds. And unlike Synthesis, other weather doesn't cause it to heal less, so it's a good move to keep Pallosand healthy without any drawbacks. You probably won't want to use Sandstorm with it in singleplayer though since that's a bit of an annoying move for your team if they aren't tailored to it, but in case an opponent happens to use Sandstorm, or you find yourself in one of the few areas with natural sandstorms, the bonus health doesn't hurt!

Pallosand's stats aren't particularly noteworthy, but it does enjoy a bit of a niche in the lower tiers due to having three immunities and being able to set up Stealth Rock while also canceling out Rapid Spin. It also has the advantage over key moves such as U-Turn and Volt Switch, so it's nice to see that Palossand fares a bit better in more structured battles compared to the main game where it isn't necessarily a great party member. Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of offensive presence as Shadow Ball and Earth Power are usually what it has up its sleeve, but Shore Up does give it some longevity it otherwise wouldn't have due to its weaknesses. It might fare pretty well in a Sandstorm team, but I haven't seen anything particularly noteworthy about it in other battle formats.

It's...a sand castle!? That's more or less what its Japanese name is a pun of (well, "that's a castle, isn't it?"), and the English name somewhat captures that by being pronounced roughly as "pile of sand". I think it's a cute design, but quite a lot of fans didn't take too kindly to this object Pokemon and I remember it getting quite a bit of heat much like its pre-evolution. I feel like Ghost-type Pokemon make more sense to be object Pokemon by their nature, but some fans disagree and think Game Freak designing an object-based Pokemon and going "oh it's a ghost!" is just a cheap excuse. I guess that's fair, but I think a haunted castle is a cool idea for a Pokemon in-and-of itself, and one made out of sand makes more sense than if it was a just random little castle that came to life, so I don't have anything against the design. I don't particularly like the design, but nothing about it strikes me as particularly offensive. I do like how it reminds me of DesertMan.exe from Mega Man Battle Network, one of my favorite OG Net Navi.

As Palossand, it's move up from controlling children to controlling adults, and thus it's graduated from a child's sand mound to one of those professional-looking sand castles that is typically far out of the scope of a child's ability. Its own abilities have also increased, able to control each grain of sand individually and able to move its sand on its own, though the implication is it must first be built up from a Sandygast to a Palossand for this to happen. It would've been cool if it evolved through a method referencing this, though I can't think of any specifics, but I'll accept them going with Level Up and ignoring lore for gameplay purposes. I guess maybe the Trainer themselves could be the one who built it up? Is it controlling you as you use it? Anyway, it's also pretty dark as it basically buries the bones of Pokemon it's absorbed. They actually decided to have it shown eating Pikachu in official art, which is pretty risque as far as official art goes. I mean we don't see the aftermath, but damn, Palossand has more or less canonically killed the franchise's mascot. What the heck?

Anyway, as mentioned before Palossand (I legit had to go back and fix each use of its name here as I thought it was two "l"s and one "s") evolved from a Sandygast that Ash had pestered, and things got weird. It basically turned giant, and trapped Ash and Litten inside of it as it rampaged. Basically the gang try everything to try and stop it and free Ash and Litten from it, with them attempting Water-type attacks at first to no avail due to Water Compaction, and eventually going with the "freeze it then use fire" method to allow Ash and Litten to escape as well as rescure Rotom who sits atop Palossand's head. Alls well at the end of the day as Ash and friends escape and they retrieve Palossand's shovel. Or is it? The episode ends with Palossand trying to eat Professor Kukui's house. I could see this kind of creeping out little kids watching the show as the episode sort of just ends there.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People are battling with something that has the corpses of Pokemon and children inside it. I feel like that kind of Pokemon would be culled rather than collected if you were to take any of that seriously. One of the few times I felt the official games got too similar to the manga which pushes death to the point where it broke suspension of disbelief for me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Love Palossand, I called mine Castlevania.
Great concept, looks the part, rad shiny, has a unique move and ability that helps it stand out.
But it's a ghost and we know that the unwritten rule is that using a ghost in game is crud 80% of the time.

Of course it made the mistake of having the spade causing the easily irked folks to go back to the "MAN MADE OBJECT?! GRRR" angle many object mon are subject to, even though this one blends the natural side in better than most.

Never noted the name syncing up with "pile of sand", does that make it a double pun with "Palace sand"?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't remember people gettinmg in arms about Sandygast or Pallosand like they did with Vanilluxe & Trubbish

Also the end of the Pallosand episode is so inexplicable. There's no follow up to it or anything just Pallosand appearing outside their house and just falling on it.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I forgot they were coming up! I definitely had a Palossand in my party for the back half of the game and I really liked it

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Water Compaction is a really cool idea, its a pity that its a trash ability

Triage is an amazing ability and I wish that Comfey got Strength Sap, I also really enjoy how Comfey laughs in the face of slow Fake Out users

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
but some fans disagree and think Game Freak designing an object-based Pokemon and going "oh it's a ghost!" is just a cheap excuse. I guess that's fair
No, its not
I have no patience for object-mon haters since they are usually hypocrites who love the Gen 1 objectmons

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Golisopod and Palossand are both awesome. Love 'em both.

Golisopod is up there as one of my favourite Bug-types, really cool design and quite strong. I just wish there was some other ability than Emergency Exit - I managed to use it on my Sun team fine, since it's really quite bulky and Leech Life often kept it above 50%. But it just feels like it doesn't let it live up to its full potential. Bug/Water is a great combination and it has the stats to back it up.

Palossand has a cool shiny too. I wish Water Compaction acted like Storm Drain and gave an immunity to Water though. It would be still be weak to Grass, Ice, Ghost and Dark, so I don't think it would be too strong, would just make it a really neat defensive Ghost.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Water Compaction is a cool ability, just completely wasted on Palossand. But it's really cool. As far as ghost types though, it was completely overshadowed by Mimikyu

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got Pyukumuku next but after I'll be skipping Type Null and Silvally...the latter apparently is a Legendary so I'll be doing them later.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Sun and Moon really streched the definition of what a Legendary is. I know the game data implies that Sylvally and the UBs are legendary but, let's be honest: that's bullshit, really.
Silvally has as much claim to being a Legendary as Mewtwo & Genesect do

I like the UBs as Legends too, mostly because they're these strong otherworldly creatures. Feels right
I also love the conceit of these things being common in their homeworlds (Poipole is literally a starter!) but outside of that habitat its like whoa my god what legendary creature is this. Mostly because the flipside to that is the possibliity of like...a bidoof getting caught in a worm hole and being treated as some legendary pokemon in another world. I would love a Pokemon game set in another world and the legendary pokemon are just common Pokemon; lord knows that'd be a better reason for abandoning the pokedex....

besides "legendary" has always been a kind of arbitrary term. Sure you have pokemon steeped in myth like the Johto legends or half of Sinnoh but then you have like. Here are some birds. They're pretty strong? Here's weird jet plane birds. Heatran just happens to live in a volcano and can just show up in places. Here's a hedgehog, known for making things pure & bloom, something other Pokemon can also do. Volcanion: it exists.
It's more an excuse for a marginally harder to get, fancier creature design with stronger statlines and even then it's more at the whims of gamefreak. Yeah the musketeers have a bit of lore to them but it pales in comparison to Volcarona who is just A Pokemon

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
What a fantastic set of ghost types. Fuck the haters these are the absolute best "object" Pokemon. And the shiny variant??? Oooh baby.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Silvally has as much claim to being a Legendary as Mewtwo & Genesect do

I like the UBs as Legends too, mostly because they're these strong otherworldly creatures. Feels right
I also love the conceit of these things being common in their homeworlds (Poipole is literally a starter!) but outside of that habitat its like whoa my god what legendary creature is this. Mostly because the flipside to that is the possibliity of like...a bidoof getting caught in a worm hole and being treated as some legendary pokemon in another world. I would love a Pokemon game set in another world and the legendary pokemon are just common Pokemon; lord knows that'd be a better reason for abandoning the pokedex....

besides "legendary" has always been a kind of arbitrary term. Sure you have pokemon steeped in myth like the Johto legends or half of Sinnoh but then you have like. Here are some birds. They're pretty strong? Here's weird jet plane birds. Heatran just happens to live in a volcano and can just show up in places. Here's a hedgehog, known for making things pure & bloom, something other Pokemon can also do. Volcanion: it exists.
It's more an excuse for a marginally harder to get, fancier creature design with stronger statlines and even then it's more at the whims of gamefreak. Yeah the musketeers have a bit of lore to them but it pales in comparison to Volcarona who is just A Pokemon
Well, definitely. I just think they should be categorised as their own thing rather than with the rest of the legends, really, since they are bloating the pool of legendaries. Not that it matters much in the end.

So...Ultra Beasts are kind of like NGE's Angels huh?
I was actually slightly disappointed that they never went all-in with the UBs. I really reeeeeallly wanted them to look like NGE's angels, or some kind of unspeakable eldritch abominations, and what we got was cool but not that weird. The closest we got was Celesteela and Xurkitree. But hey, I like the ones we got in the end, so I'm not complaining too much.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've actually seen two sites claim Anno worked on Sun and Moon as a consultant haha.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well, definitely. I just think they should be categorised as their own thing rather than with the rest of the legends, really, since they are bloating the pool of legendaries. Not that it matters much in the end.
In a way they are. Mythical PokƩmon don't actually have any basis in game code other than exclusion in rulesets, and those are done manually. Mythical PokƩmon is just a lore category of Legendary PokƩmon, much like Ultra Beasts are. People separate Legendary and Mythical so can do here while still acknowledging they are Mythical

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
In a way they are. Mythical PokƩmon don't actually have any basis in game code other than exclusion in rulesets, and those are done manually. Mythical PokƩmon is just a lore category of Legendary PokƩmon, much like Ultra Beasts are. People separate Legendary and Mythical so can do here while still acknowledging they are Mythical
I can live with that. I've always considered Mythicals to be Legendaries after all. The only difference is that Mythical is like 3-4 per gen and UB's were... 11? Also, I don't get why the Cosmog line and Necrozma are not considered UB's when they are. I think it's because they are considered like Super Legendaries or something in the game code, right?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can live with that. The only difference is that Mythical is like 3-4 per gen and UB's were... 11? Also, I don't get why the Cosmog line and Necrozma are not considered UB's when they are. I think it's because they are considered like Super Legendaries or something in the game code, right?
There is no game code for Ultra Beasts but Cosmog line and Necrozma are considered Ultra Beasts in lore. Necrozma even in the TCG
127.jpg

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still baffled that 14% of the new pokƩmon in Alola were legendaries (UB/mythicals/whatever). What were GF thinking? Why do they feel the need to bloat the legendaries so much? Didn't they learn the lesson with Gen IV? I hope they restrain themselves from this in Gen VIII seeing that the total nomber of PokƩmon is a real concern.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
771.png

# 771 - Pyukumuku
Water

Now here's a strange Pokemon---you can find them on Route 7 and Hano Beach through Surfing, or come across them via Poke Pelago. In Sun and Moon they were the only new Pokemon who could be obtained via this method, though the sequels added Cutiefly and Comfey as well to the mix. Note that Pokemon spawning on Isle Abeens is actually based on in-game progress, with Pyukumu only showing up once the player reaches Ula'Ula. Thus the former method allows you to obtain one earlier, though the Poke Pelago method is good if you don't care to go out and search for one to add it to your PokeDex.

Pyukumuku is the slowest of the slow among the entire PokeDex, but makes up for that with impressively high Defense and Special Defense and only two weaknesses as a pure Water-type. And if you're like most players, that type of Pokemon isn't necessarily appealing to use during the main adventure as it can slow down an already slow adventure since Pyukumuku is all about stall tactics. Its Attack and Special Attack are pointless, as it doesn't learn any damaging moves that take into account its own offensive stats---Bide and Counter rely on the damage inflicted by the opponent, Pain Split the HP stats of both Pokemon, and Toxic inflicts passive damage. Apart from those moves, and its default Ability, Pyukumuku is unable to directly hurt the Pokemon. So, keep that in mind that like Wobbuffet you'll be dependent on the opponent's actions mainly rather than going on the offense.

I wouldn't say "don't use Pyukumuku!" though because while I personally don't think I'd want to use it on an in-game team, I'm sure it can be quite powerful if you're willing to deal with the slower style. For one it learns quite a bit of useful annoyance moves that can disrupt the CPU---who typically can't simply switch-out to counter---such as Taunt and Gastro Acid, as well as Soak to potentially ruin certain strategies used by Pokemon. Furthermore it can greatly aid your own team with access to Safeguard and Light Screen/Reflect via TMs, and a few buffing moves it can then pass on through Baton Pass once you reach the Move Re-Learner. And if it's about to die, Memento which it learns at Level 49 is a nice sacrificial move. And as I said before Toxic is always good to deal with Totem Pokemon. In all honesty in the right hands Pyukumuku may be one of the most powerful Pokemon you can use, but using one takes a bit more patience and strategy than I imagine most players want in the main adventure.

It also has access to Recover, Rest + Sleep Talk, and a new healing move in the form of Purify. Purify is an interesting move that can only heal Pyukumuku if another Pokemon has a non-volatile status condition (status conditions that have their own icon i.e. burn, poison, freeze, sleep, and paralysis), restoring that Pokemon from their status condition in exchange for healing half of Pyukumuku's maximum HP. In most cases this is likely intended to be used to help an ally out, though against certain Pokemon who benefit from status effects this could also prove useful against foes, though that's more likely to be seen in competitive play rather than the main adventure. I'd go with Recover over Purify at first, but maybe switch over to Purify by the end of the game once you gain access to the Move Re-Learner. Why? Well, with the Poisonium-Z Pyukumuku receives a boost on every stat when using Z-Purify. Then use Baton Pass to shuffle all those gains to an offensive Pokemon, and you've got a pretty potent mix for a sweep.

But that's not all! Pyukumuku also has a Signature Ability in Innards Out. When Pyukumuku is knocked out by an opponent's attack, the last amount of HP it had before dying is dealt back to the opponent. Note that this Ability can be worked around in various ways---passive damage won't activate the Ability, and with multi-hits, I believe that the damage dealt from the last actual hit that fainted it is taken into effect, as opposed to the damage dealt by all the hits---but in general this means that a powerful OHKO move is something you'll want to avoid using against Pyukumuku. When using Pyukumuku, you'll also want to consider how to maximize this damage if Pyukumuku is going to faint soon, using its healing move strategically. This effectively makes your opponent wary of attacking it, contributing to its stall tactics. I imagine in-game the CPU probably won't tip-toe around using their strongest moves, so once more Pyukumuku can be pretty merciless to the dumber A.I. opponents. If you're the type to focus on stats, you'll obviously want to focus on HP while reducing its defenses, so you have a better chance of your opponent knocking Pyukumuku out with more HP to maximize the damage.

In the competitive scene, Innards Out and the Z-Purify + Baton Pass combo do see play, but its actually its Hidden Ability, Unaware, which sees the most use as it allows Pyukumuku to ignore any offensive boosts the opponent gains to allow it to better stall out. It's one of those Pokemon that can be used in almost any tier due to how well it can stall, though it's easily taken out with Taunt, rendering it basically useless, and doesn't have much in the way of an offensive presence. Most Pyukumuku will also have to rely on the same strategy, using Block and Recover to trap a foe and wearing them down with either Toxic (Soak can help it get around immune Pokemon), or depleting their PP with Spite. Though you can splash the Z-Purify variant alongside any Pokemon really---though note using this strategy involves taking two turns and sacrificing another Z-Move and a teamslot---Unaware stall variant pretty much doesn't have a point outside of a dedicated stall team, so Pyukumuku isn't one of those Pokemon just anyone can use and be good with. But like in the main game, if you're willing to put in the time Pyukumuku can be a reliable ally.

For the longest time I was under the impression Pyukumuku was a Hawaiian word, but it's actually pure gibberish---Bulbapedia speculates it may be a weird mash of "puke", "cucumber", and "mucus", but even though it's a weird name, well, Pyukumuku is a weird Pokemon, so it works. It's also really fun to say and as mentioned before sounds vaguely Hawaiian, so I don't fault the localization team. Its Japanese name simply means "sea cucumber fist", and I guess the localization might've been a bit anxious about including the word "fist" anywhere near a Pokemon with the lore of Pyukumuku. If you get my drift. So, they didn't try and give it an English approximation but just went for their own thing. The other international names go for a closer translation of the Japanese name, which perhaps does indicate the English localization was wary of the implications of "fist".

Sea cucumbers are surprisingly huge in Japan---there's like thousands of haiku that talk about them for some reason, so it's not surprising we eventually got a Pokemon based around one. Sea cucumbers are pretty weird dudes, so the Pokemon version is a bit cuter, given cute beady eyes and a fluffy "tail", almost looking like a rabbit. This may be a reference to a similar sea slug known as the "sea bunny" which looks a bit like a rabbit due to its feelers, though this could be a coincidence. Sea cucumbers aren't particularly associated with Hawaii as far as I know, but I consider Pyukumuku perhaps the "mascot" of the Alola Region. In lore, tourists actually dislike Pyukumuku so folks---the player included---are hired to toss them back into the sea when they wash up on the beach, though the people of Alola are more respectful and do it to help Pyukumuku survive when it begins to dry out.

Pyukumuku can expel its internal organs in the form of a comical fist, that is quite charming and gives Pyukumuku some rather cute animations that contrast its rather barebones official art. It's one of those Pokemon where people may write-off upon simply looking at the base artwork, but may find themselves loving once they see it in action. The actual sea cucumber expels its innards through its anus to ensnare prey, and it also releases a toxin akin to soap to poison the prey which may be what its move Purify is in reference too. Game Freak of course glosses over the anus part, or does it? Looking at the actual sea cucumber, I do wonder if Pyukumuku's mouth is actually meant to be where the fluffy "tail" is as that resembles a sea cucumber's "mouth", and the front part we assume is the mouth is actually the anus? I really like Pyukumuku because it represents one of the strong-points of Generation VII for me, and that's how Game Freak weren't afraid to dig into how bizarre real-life nature can be. For all intents and purposes, this is a Pokemon who literally punches you with a fist it shoots out of its anus, and that's pretty great. But it's still cute enough to get by the concerned parents.

Man, Pyukumuku might be the best Alolan Pokemon? I believe it has a decent amount of merchandise in Japan, though it hasn't seemed to have gotten that "huge" push some other marketable Pokemon get where they get an entire merchandise line given to them to celebrate their popularity. It also appears in Smash Bros. Ultimate alongside fellow popular Alolan Pokemon Bewear and Mimikyu, where it's basically a portable Wobbuffet that counters attacks and can be carried around for more strategic placement. It even waves goodbye when it leaves the field which is frankly adorable! I wasn't particularly sold on Pyukumuku myself, but writing this surprisingly lengthy summary of it up has made me more of a fan.

Not much to say about Pyukumuku in the show as it's never really gotten a focus episode, but usually pops up in the background---quite often the "character touches it and it punches them" has been used as a gag, but not to the point of becoming tired. I would love to see a Trainer use one during the Alola League personally and it end up being a serious competitor that's basically impenetrable.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
When the game was first leaking it was bizarre looking at Pyukumuku and seeing no conventioanl attacking moves on it, while also actually having a movepool unlike Wobbuffet

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If there is PVP in pokemon masters I am pulling for whichever trainer has Pyukumuku just to fuck with people, it will probably ending up being meta lol

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pyukumuku was a fun PokƩmon to use competitively for the first month or so before people realised how to counter it.

We'd often get Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu going straight in for the kill on it which knocked them out too.

I ran a Soak Pyukumuku in conjunction with a Z-Detect Leaf Blade Kartana. I was a right git with that team

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonnae lie when I noticed all the pictures were broken and Serebii was down I thought angry Pokemon fans doxxed him. šŸ˜‚

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Pyukumuku is unironically my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon. When it was first leaked that there was going to be a sea cucumber Pokemon I thought it was a boring idea, but then it was revealed and it was bizarre, hilarious, and weirdly pretty cute. I didn't use one on my in-game team, but I raised a competitive one that I had some fun with--Unaware with Swagger, Recover, Psych Up, and Baton Pass. Swagger to confuse the opponent until they KO themselves without needing to worry about the attack boost thanks to Unaware, Recover to keep Pyukumuku alive, Psych Up to copy their attack boost, and Baton Pass to transfer the attack to my own sweeper. Obviously not fool-proof or anything, but fun to use when it worked!

Also it has some fantastic fanart:

66fe9802c723bb37fe6a2073b068c3c505d3c137_hq.jpg

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
774.png

#774 - Minior
Rock/Flying

Minior is an extremely unique Pokemon thanks to its Signature Ability, Shields Down. This is one of those Abilities that is integral to the Pokemon---to the point it cannot be removed, replaced, or copied---and must be discussed before we talk about anything else.

When Minior is encountered atop Mt. Holukani, it will always appear in its Meteor Form, seen above. In Meteor Form, Minior is a slow defensive Pokemon (though somewhat fast for Alolan standards), with 100 Defense and 100 Special Defense, but 60 everywhere else. In Meteor Form it is also completely immune to the non-volatile status conditions, meaning it cannot be poisoned, burned, etc. when in this form. When Minior's HP falls below half, however, at the end of the turn its shell will break and it'll turn into...

774-c.png

Core Form. The "true" Minior. There are actually seven variants of the Core Form---one for each of the colors of the rainbow---and you won't know which one you'll be capturing when encountering Minior in the wild until after it is already caught, unless you get it below 1/2 HP first to activate Shields Down. There's no gameplay difference between the colors, but if you're a person who cares about the aesthetic cohesion of your Pokemon squad, you'll definitely want to make sure you catch the right Minior to add to your team. There is a gameplay difference between Meteor Form and Core Form, however, as Core Form is vulnerable to status effects once more, but in exchange it trades off its defensive stats for offensive ones, 100 in Attack and Special Attack, and also gains a blazingly fast Speed of 120. This allows it to go on the offensive the turn after Shields Down activates, and deal some decent damage. Outside of battle, Minior will always be in Core Form regardless of its HP, and at the beginning of the battle will switch back to Meteor Form if its HP is above half, or at the end of the turn if it manages to heal back above that threshold. Though Meteor Form is immune to status effects itself, it won't heal itself of any pre-existing status effects.

Minior is one of those Pokemon that might be a bit too gimmicky for some players to use in their in-game team, but it can actually be pretty useful---apparently the A.I. actually struggles with the fact that Meteor Form is immune to status effects, and will attempt to use status-effect inducing moves to no avail, even with the higher A.I. opponents. It may be annoying to have to wait for Minior to fall below the threshold to start sweeping with it, though a viable in-game strategy is to purposefully leave it below half-health in order to always start in Core Form. Unfortunately there's quite a lot of auto-heal moments in Sun and Moon that may throw a wrench into these plans, so keep that in mind. Minior can eventually learn Shell Smash, however, which will allow it to somewhat "change" into Core Form statistically even while actually Meteor Form, so you'll spend less time waiting for your opponent to damage you to get to Core Form. And if they do manage to get you into Core Form after a few Shell Smashes, well, you'll be pretty monstrous.

Minior has a decent array of moves it naturally learns, with Ancient Power being fairly effective as a STAB move early on before eventually being replaced with Power Gem. Unfortunately it has only a single Flying-type move in Acrobatics via TM. Otherwise naturally it learns some rather strong recoil moves---the better to help you get to Core Form faster of course---and if it's low on health in Core Form, you can deal some serious sacrificial damage with Self-Destruct and eventually Explosion. It has a pretty varied selection of TMs at its disposal, and as its Attack and Special Attack are both equally high in Core Form it can use either physical or special moves depending on the situation. Overall it's one of those Pokemon you might write off at first as a "gimmick", but it's one of those gimmick Pokemon who are actually good and usable without needing to necessarily build a team around them.

In the competitive scene, Minior is decent if predictable---you basically stall in Meteor Form while boosting up with Shell Smash. You give it a White Herb which will disappear after Shell Smash is used, restoring the lowered Defense and Special Defense, giving you access to a fully powered STAB Acrobatics alongside Stone Edge for a nice offensive set. Its biggest weakness is due to its Rock/Flying mix giving it quite a lot of weaknesses, and leaving it vulnerable to both Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch which can take down Core Form with priority before it can make use of its great Speed. It also doesn't have a good way of dealing with Pokemon that resist its attacks. I'd say it can probably due very well against certain opponents who don't get Minior's potential, but against a seasoned player they'll probably have a good idea of what you're up to and work to prevent it. Also, folks will judge you based on which Core Form you use so make sure you pick the right color.

774-b.png

Speaking of color, Minior has an amazing Shiny seen above---Alola did pretty well with Shiny Pokemon I'd say? The Meteor Form does not have a Shiny variant, though it'll still sparkle when you encounter it. Hopefully you're paying attention when the battle begins and don't miss that cue, less you may accidentally faint it or run away before realizing it's a Shiny! All the colors share the same Shiny. Note that when breeding Minior (with Ditto as its genderless), the hatched Minior will share the same color as its parent, though it still has a chance of being a Shiny since all the colors have the same chance of coming out Shiny. I hope I explained that well enough!

A lot of people speculated that Minior had a relation to Solrock and Lunatone when it was first revealed, though this doesn't seem to be the case---at the very least it isn't a shared pre-evolution of the two. Maybe they have some sort of ambiguous connection as cosmic Pokemon, but so far there's never been an official word from Game Freak on the matter. One relationship Minior does have to another Pokemon is apparently Rayquaza, as it's said to live in the ozone layer and is food for "stronger Pokemon", with Rayquaza being the likely candidate. One interesting thing is that Rayquaza is said to have gained its Ability to Mega Evolve through the meteoroids it eats in the atmosphere, and if we take this to mean Minior, does this imply the latter has some connection to Mega Evolution? It's worth noting the PokeDex mentions Minior was created from "mutated nanoparticles", perhaps due to the firing of the Ultimate Weapon? Well, we may never know, but it's interesting to think about.

While it's basically just a meteor at first glance, Minior's Core Form design is a reference to the classic Japanese candy known as "konpeito", which is multi-colored and star shaped. If you ever looked at Minior and thought of Mario Galaxy's Luma, the reality is the latter would probably eat Minior as the design of the Star Bits the Luma eat are also meant to represent konpeito. So, yeah, it's kind of "rock candy", which speaking of Mario in Mario RPG the move "Rock Candy" is known as "Konpeito" in the Japanese version. I've never tried konpeito, so let me know how it tastes. D-don't try to eat Minior though, although Rayquaza seems to like it.

In the anime, the Minior episode is actually pretty sad. So, in the games it's explained that if one doesn't use a PokeBall on Core Form, Minior will simply turn back into space dust and disintegrate. Sun and Moon is surprisingly "dark" in terms of dealing with death for Pokemon, in a way that doesn't talk down to the audience typically, so they straight up had an entire episode based around Ash and his friends playing with Minior only for them to straight up die in the end. The anime didn't address the fact that they could be saved by being caught, and we've yet to see an owned Minior in the show so maybe that just isn't possible like in the games---maybe Minior just are destined to die regardless? What really hurt was the fact that Sophocles had actually experienced this before and purposefully buried it in his subconscious, slowly recalling the past trauma over the course of the episode. And in the end of the episode we even see Rayquaza fly overhead. It's meant to be majestic, but presumably he's about to straight up eat the remains of all the dead Minior. Heavy.