• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

ur just a hater

----------------------------

this post brought to you by
▀▄▀▄▀▄ 🎀 𝐻𝒶𝓇𝓁𝑒𝓎 𝒢𝒶𝓃𝑔 🎀 ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nice, trailers looked like a lot of fun.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
No post credit scene?

Kind of wish there was and it was revealing Batman's new costume.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Reviews don't match what I saw in the trailer. I had no desire to see it before reviews hit but it's been upgraded to a rental.

I said on here or Twitter, that I'm surprised WB never released a red-band trailer for the movie, and after seeing the movie, I feel it's one of the reasons the trailers were so muted for many. It's not a gore fest or anything, but it earns its R-rating with violence and a whole lot of cussing. Even some of the clips I saw, I assume had to tone down for TV.

No post credit scene?

Kind of wish there was and it was revealing Batman's new costume.

If folks wanna know

At the end, you hear Harley's voice. Oh you're still here. I guess you want to know something. And something along the lines of did you know Batman...

And movie is done

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see good reviews. Will probably catch it early next week.

You'll know DC is on a roll when Rock gets rave reviews in Black Adam.

Apr 19, 2018
Penguin and doodlewhizz, how are the action sequences? I know some folks are wary after watching that funhouse hair tie battle clip; is the rest comparable?

Does it come anywhere close to Chad Stahelski/87eleven's usual brand of kinetic action?

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Penguin and doodlewhizz, how are the action sequences? I know some folks are wary after watching that funhouse hair tie battle clip; is the rest comparable?

Does it come anywhere close to Chad Stahelski/87eleven's usual brand of kinetic action?

Hmm the only way I can put it, they chose an odd 30-seconds to highlight. I understand why, but in the context of the movie felt the scene was much livilier

The action is pretty nice and at times very colorful.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

I've read a couple of reviews that try and compare it to John Wick's action - I wouldn't say it's that close but it definitely feels like one of the first superhero films to have noticed that they could do a similar style and Chad's done a good job. The funhouse scene is a highlight but there's also one with Harley on her own nearer the middle of the film that's very enjoyable too.

I didn't realise the hair clip scene had made people wary, thought it was a nice aside during the foray.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just saw the movie, i enjoyed my time but overall it was just okay! Some joke landed and some didn't, like a lot are just swearing without any particular thoughts behind it!

The action scene were really well done there was lots of energy put into it!

I'll definitely watch more of it though!

But in the end, i was probably too spoiled by the harley quinn cartoon! Go watch it, it's amazing

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. Really fun movie. Surprisingly good action scenes. Great OST. Pretty damn funny, too.
If you hate Harley Quinn though, this is not your movie.

Apr 19, 2018
Just saw the movie, i enjoyed my time but overall it was just okay! Some joke landed and some didn't, like a lot are just swearing without any particular thoughts behind it!

The action scene were really well done there was lots of energy put into it!

I'll definitely watch more of it though!

But in the end, i was probably too spoiled by the harley quinn cartoon! Go watch it, it's amazing

Did you end up watching the French version?

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Just went to see it after the reviews landed and it was on par with the rottenscore/metascore. Not rotten, a good 3 out of five. Miles ahead of Suicide Squad and Snyder movies, just not what I expected/wanted as a whole.

It's a Harley movie in disguise more than a Birds of Prey one. The action was colourful but some critics went too far saying that it was close to John Wick. Roman was pretty fun, liked Zsasz too. Some of the Birds don't have enough time but they did great with what they had. And the music is most of the time spot on.

My issues with the film are a rushed ending and the rhythm that was all over the place. Overall, it was a good experience but it will certainly not be my movie of the year.

Apr 19, 2018
Hmm the only way I can put it, they chose an odd 30-seconds to highlight. I understand why, but in the context of the movie felt the scene was much livilier

The action is pretty nice and at times very colorful.

I've read a couple of reviews that try and compare it to John Wick's action - I wouldn't say it's that close but it definitely feels like one of the first superhero films to have noticed that they could do a similar style and Chad's done a good job. The funhouse scene is a highlight but there's also one with Harley on her own nearer the middle of the film that's very enjoyable too.

Definitely promising to hear! I'm not going in expecting a full reenactment of John Wick's action beats, but it'd be great to get that same sort of flair and energy from said films.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a fun movie, but I can't help but be bummed they completely changed Cassandra Cain's character.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it last night. Its kind of meh, reminds me a lot with Suicide Squad. Has the same pacing problem, not so funny joke and not so great character interaction.
And the R rated is kind of wasted. Not a bad movie just 6/10 type of movie.

May 9, 2019
Uh what? Everything I'm hearing is that Huntress is one of the best secondary characters.
The scenes that Huntress has are good, but the character is definitely underutilised in the film, was expecting a bit more.

Black Canary was fantastic though and used well so not sure where the poster you'rer replying to is getting that from...
I'm hearing Harley and Black Mask get all the scenes while Huntress was barely in the movie and Black Canary was really good but should've got more scenes.

moquedami

Oct 29, 2017

I didn't realise the hair clip scene had made people wary, thought it was a nice aside during the foray.
I read that after the poor reception of the testing screenings they made reshots of the action sequences and that the John Wick´s director was in charge of them uncredited. I don´t know if this was confirmed but that would explain the similarities the reviews seem to get, and how it eventually the film improved from the original vision.

Oct 25, 2017
Hi jett.

OK, glad I read there can't be unhidden spoilers.

It's cool, I liked it. As an Aussie I think I heard Margot's American accent waver but honestly I don't think she was my favourite part of the film. Montoya and Canary own their scenes when they are up and about and I loved Huntress.

I couldn't help but notice the group of girls attending my showing absolutely loving the film and gushing about it after, that's who the movie is for and I'm very happy it's going to resonate with its target audience.

The Deadpool comparisons are going to be cynical and unavoidable but screw it, Robbies Harley isn't DC's Deadpool. Or even simply Girl Deadpool.

Rather, she's DC's Iron Man (an excellent actor turning a B-list character with flashes of potential into a proper movie star that can carry years of movies and supporting casts).

Going to see it again. And I hear my teenage niece whom I raised on as many comics cartoons and superhero stuff as I could is going to see it with her mother this weekend. I hope she enjoys it.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
Hi jett.

It's cool, I liked it. As an Aussie I think I heard Margot's American accent waver but honestly I don't think she was my favourite part of the film. Montoya and Canary own their scenes when they are up and about and I loved Huntress.

I couldn't help but notice the group of girls attending my showing absolutely loving the film and gushing about it after, that's who the movie is for and I'm very happy it's going to resonate with its target audience.

The Deadpool comparisons are going to be cynical and unavoidable but screw it, Robbies Harley isn't DC's Deadpool. Or even simply Girl Deadpool.

Rather, she's DC's Iron Man (an excellent actor turning a B-list character with flashes of potential into a proper movie star that can carry years of movies and supporting casts).

Going to see it again. And I hear my teenage niece whom I raised on as many comics cartoons and superhero stuff as I could is going to see it with her mother this weekend. I hope she enjoys it.
This review was so wholesome 🥺 I can't wait to watch!

moquedami

Oct 29, 2017

Harley Quinn is far from a B-list character.
Since her first appearence in the animated series it became so popular she was automatically made comic cannon.
She is probably one of the most popular characters in the DC gallery.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Hi jett.

Lol, Harley isn't a B-List character. She's up there with Batman, Superman, Joker, WonderWoman, etc

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a screening last night (thanks DCU, I even got in before the line hah) and I guess this movie isn't for me. I found a lot of the action scenes to be really cliche and unbelievable, which I think annoyed me because the movie is so grounded, generally speaking. Setting up HQ as a sympathetic character made no sense to me, considering how the movie goes to great lengths to explain how awful she is throughout. I enjoyed Black Canary the most, both as an actress and a character, and Ewan seemed to be having a great time. Went home and watched 2 episodes of the animated show, which is WAY better than I would have thought. Poison Ivy as the straight man? It's great.

Penguin

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I saw a screening last night (thanks DCU, I even got in before the line hah) and I guess this movie isn't for me. I found a lot of the action scenes to be really cliche and unbelievable, which I think annoyed me because the movie is so grounded, generally speaking. Setting up HQ as a sympathetic character made no sense to me, considering how the movie goes to great lengths to explain how awful she is throughout. I enjoyed Black Canary the most, both as an actress and a character, and Ewan seemed to be having a great time. Went home and watched 2 episodes of the animated show, which is WAY better than I would have thought. Poison Ivy as the straight man? It's great.

Wait, which part of this movie was "Grounded"

And I think the movie makes a case (as does Harley), she isn't a good person even when she tries.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It was an ok movie. Nothing spectacular. Ending was really bad, like in all DCEU movies. It starts really good, then it just fades into mediocricy. Meh. 3/5

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
When was Simone's run on that book? She is, truly, the best of comics twitter and had been forever.

I don't remember the exact years, but she saved Birds from being cancelled and is the reason people love the series so dearly.

She's been fiercely defending Jurnee from the racist bullshit comic book fans have been giving her for not being white.

I love Gail.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, which part of this movie was "Grounded"

And I think the movie makes a case (as does Harley), she isn't a good person even when she tries.

Everything up until the canary cry? It's a bunch of people with bats and guns who somehow occasionally do wildly extraordinary things with them, but it really isn't fantastical. People get hit and go down hard.