• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
Saw this a few hours ago. I love Robbie as Quinn. I enjoyed the setpeices more than the action going on in them. Doja Cat's song for this is a jam.

It can't have been too bad a movie. I have a reputation for sleeping through the superhero movies and I was awake for all of this one.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Robbie's performance in Suicide Squad was a mixed bag, but she was a gazillion times better here.

She really did nail the character here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I really did not expect so much excellent action set pieces, I was really expecting more of a comedy wit ha few typical fight scenes.

Two stand out moments was her on the rollerskates taking cover in front of a moving car and that slide murder from huntress. Can't wait to rewatch this movie!

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Cathy Yan and team went and made a charming comic book movie that I can't get out of my head weeks later. I liked the idea of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, but the direction of Suicide Squad (that I reluctantly hate-watched with a group a while after release) as a whole was so off-putting. I'm glad Birds of Prey exists to prove the potential of the character's rendition. Feeling pretty LTTP on being a fan of this Harley after she blew up as an icon in 2016.

The comedy was on point (the egg sandwich bit!), which is what is most important to me in my popcorn flick, and I didn't hate the setpieces as someone whose eyes typically glaze over during action in action movies - Harley Guinn's violence in particular was stylized zanily. I love that extra clown aesthetic that flows through the character and the essence of the film itself. I savored its sweet moments between the ensemble.

I'm dying for a sequel. Put the artists of the soundtrack onscreen in the sequel; I wanna see Megan Thee Stallion make a cameo in 2.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Cathy Yan and team went and made a charming comic book movie that I can't get out of my head weeks later. I liked the idea of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, but the direction of Suicide Squad (that I reluctantly hate-watched with a group a while after release) as a whole was so off-putting. I'm glad Birds of Prey exists to prove the potential of the character's rendition. Feeling pretty LTTP on being a fan of this Harley after she blew up as an icon in 2016.

The comedy was on point (the egg sandwich bit!), which is what is most important to me in my popcorn flick, and I didn't hate the setpieces as someone whose eyes typically glaze over during action in action movies - Harley Guinn's violence in particular was stylized zanily. I love that extra clown aesthetic that flows through the character and the essence of the film itself. I savored its sweet moments between the ensemble.

I'm dying for a sequel. Put the artists of the soundtrack onscreen in the sequel; I wanna see Megan Thee Stallion make a cameo in 2.
Um, I'll watch anything Thee Stallion is in lol.

And yeah, the movie has been on my mind a lot since I saw it too. My wife has mentioned it 3 or 4 times since we saw it day 1. I may have to go see it again.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yeah, the persona of an entertainer like Megan Thee Stallion can match the charisma of Harley - heighten it for the silver screen. While they're all great, the ensemble in BoP seems to be written as foils to Harley at her cartooniest, so there's a fun opportunity to pair Harley up with some characters that have personalities as big as hers for a few scenes - find a reason to insert some good music videos into BoP2 basically.

Edit: Even though I didn't see Suicide Squad at release, I remember Jared Leto playing his Joker in a Rick Ross music video for its soundtrack. That shit was weird, and I can't remember if it was good weird. Anyway, I want to see that - but better - with Margot Robbie for the Birds of Prey series. They got close with Cassandra Cain in the Saweetie music video, unless I missed Harley in a vid.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just got back, and I had such a great time with this movie. I never expected the fight scenes to be that good! I absolutely adore a good fight scene, and these are some of the best I've seen outside of a dedicated martial arts movie in a long time. Just great choreography, clear framing, excellent work from the stuntmen selling the hits. Motherfuckers just get cleaned up in this movie and it looks awesome. Harley's cocaine-fueled baseball bat rampage was hilarious, and the shots at the end when the entire squad are tagteaming it up on the giant turntable were so good.

I loved the ridiculous story and the gag of Harley telling things out of order. Margot Robbie and Ewan McGregor were the stars of the show, but I really liked all the characters; I felt like Rosie Perez maybe wasn't on the same page as everyone else in the early parts of the movie, but she got there by the end. I hope the movie gets some kind of recognition for the Costuming, because goddamn everyone in this movie looked amazing.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Robbie remains the most functional part of the DCEU. This movie was a huge step up from Suicide Squad. Some of the same problems persist though, namely that the ending was sort of a cluttered, abrupt trainwreck and the supporting cast (nearly everyone but Robbie), could and probably should be retired before the next movie. Most of them had their moments to shine, but they were largely underwhelming.

Their Harley is strong and they're getting better, but DC just doesn't seem to have the ability to nail casting and keep things tight for an entire movie anymore. Still, a solid experience, a strong start to the film, and a lot to love overall. Fun time. I'd recommend it to others for a slow weekend.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

Thanks for writing down your thoughts so I don't have to. I feel the exact same way: can't get it out of my head; absolutely loved it. Just a masterfully executed Harley Quinn movie.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To the surprise of nobody, Andrew made the movie's egg sandwich in the newest episode of Binging with Babish.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
My partner and I have had it since the movie came out (twice hehehe). Delicious! VERY filling

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just saw this today. I gave it a 6 out of 10. Robbie and McGregor were excellent, as I thought they'd be. Everyone else was average to bad, with Winstead being the worst. I don't blame that on the actors, I blame the director and the writer. The direction and writing were very bad. I actually watched the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad the day before I watched this movie. Say what you want about this opinion but the theatrical cut of Suicide Squad (which is the worst version of that film) is better than this film. The pacing is better. The writing is better. The editing is tighter. Why did I need 30 minutes of Harley breaking up with the Joker? Just blow up the factory and move on.

Also, Harley was a better character in SS than she was in this, which shocked me. You know, despite being R-rated, Harley kills surprisingly few people. Her decisions in this movie are all over the place and inconsistent. It just didn't make any sense. And what I thought was going to be the big problem of the movie, the action, was actually the best part of the movie.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Just saw the movie it's brilliant I really enjoyed it, did it make enough money to be a hit, we really need more movies like this. I loved the tone and flow of the movie.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Harley came off as idiot that got into trouble all the time of her doing and got out it through sheer luck. Something that I really bothered me in this movie was the disappearance of guns just for plot/scene convenience; the police station barely a gun to be seen (mind blowing) and the end fight all the henchmen decided guns wasn't their speed.

The movie looked nice and the action set pieces were really good, I found almost everything else average.