• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I was mad at work and the world at large so I stormed out into a 6pm showing.
It was OK, I read most of Birds of Prey until the New 52 and this is 90% a Harley movie and that is fine.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from Birds of Prey. It was not good.

It's not really Birds of Prey, it's Harley Quinn, Black Canary, some cop who's barely in it, and oh I guess Huntress can show up briefly. That surfaced a bit prior to the release, but the comments on Twitter (from people who loved it? Why?!) undersold it a bit. It's a shame, too, as Winstead was good the very brief time she was on screen.

The actress for Cassandra Cain was terrible.

There was one decent / good fight scene. The one from the hair tie clip was not it.

The biggest sin is that it's boring as hell for the first....I don't want to say half, but maybe third of the movie?

Don't want to go into spoilers, but....oof.

The theater it was in was huge. It was myself, my two friends, and maybe 10 other people. No one was there.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Did the editor just hit shuffle in the editing bay and WB released whatever it spat out? I really liked this but it has the most scattershot and pacing and inept editing I have seen from a major release in a long, long time. This didn't need to be non-linear - at least not as drastically dynamic as this was - and it suffered hard for it.

Glad that they successfully snuck the BOP in behind Harley, though. Now that they're properly introduced, we can get a proper BOP movie and a
Harley and Cassandra
movie.

6/10, disastrous pacing, lots of overacting from Ewan and Chris Messina and some spotty stuff from Ella Jay Basco but everything else was solid and fun.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the movie outside of the slow start, great attitude throughout, really encapsulated the character

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out. I loved it. Super fun for me. I had the same type of cheesy smile on my face that I did when I watched Shazam. Everyone is slightly over the top and goofy and fuck if I didn't love the ride.

Did the editor just hit shuffle in the editing bay and WB released whatever it spat out? I really liked this but it has the most scattershot and pacing and inept editing I have seen from a major release in a long, long time. This didn't need to be non-linear - at least not as drastically dynamic as this was - and it suffered hard for it.
Harley's digressions are a comedic choice. The film mostly isn't trying to build drama, since it's not taking things seriously, her bouncing around is meant to be amusing, and I think it largely works.

I liked it overall. It's basically a bloodier version of the comedy part of Guardians of the Galaxy, without the underlying character stuff (by design). It succeeds at what it's aiming to do.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Ewan is wonderful in the film, as well as his mask. He really hammed it up and that's what's needed for a live action Black Mask. The action scene in the
Police Department
was probably the best in the movie. But all of them were good.

The Huntress really stood out too. She was great.

Loved the movie overall. It was fast paced, fun, and funny. Can't wait to see another film with the BoP and maybe/hopefully Batgirl... the writer of this film is writing a Batgirl flick as well.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I liked it overall. It's basically a bloodier version of the comedy part of Guardians of the Galaxy, without the underlying character stuff (by design). It succeeds at what it's aiming to do.

Yeah if it's as fun as the best parts of GoTG then that would be great. And the impressions people have been leaving me with sorta evoke the original release of Guardians, soo. Yeah! We need more comic-book movies that know how to be a rollicking time!!

On the contrary, I also loved Suicide Squad and think that if this movie can reach similar charismatic heights it would be a joy. ^^' And at the very least, it may just exceed it in the color palette side o' things.

OH the color. Oh the sass!!

Hopefully it's less style over substance, and more chaos over even more chaos. ;D

Aug 13, 2019
I just got back from it and I thought it was alright. It doesn't dethrone Shazam as my favorite DCEU movie, but I had fun with it. I especially liked Canary, Huntress, and Renee. Easily my three favorite characters.

Will I as a Cass Cain fan will I be disappointed (again) in DCs live use of the character?
If you're going in expecting something comic accurate or similar, yes absolutely. She's Cassandra in name only. Otherwise, she's a lot of fun. Hopefully, her use in BoP doesn't stop DC from giving us something more accurate later.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
I've read a couple of reviews that try and compare it to John Wick's action - I wouldn't say it's that close but it definitely feels like one of the first superhero films to have noticed that they could do a similar style and Chad's done a good job. The funhouse scene is a highlight but there's also one with Harley on her own nearer the middle of the film that's very enjoyable too.

I didn't realise the hair clip scene had made people wary, thought it was a nice aside during the foray.

I'm hearing conflicted reviews on the fight choreography. Some say its amazing and others corny. I did see a clip somewhere and the movements did look slow and overly telegraphed. I know they brought in the stunt coordinator from the John wick series, but he can only do so much if the actors insist on doing their own stunts and aren't that good. Look at the how stiff and unnatural the library fight in John wick 3 turned out.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Very enjoyable. Behind Wonder Woman and Shazam but still a thoroughly enjoyable film.

Sep 28, 2018
Glad Barbara stayed out, I'm no Harley fan but this needed to be a Harley vehicle to be as much fun as it was. This turned out to be a real "origin" for the Birds of Prey and I appreciate that it was.

Loved that they included the bit about Black Canary's mom. Nice little Easter egg.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone spot the Arleen Sorkin reference?

This was playing in Montaya's apartment when she was drinking.

OP
OP
Nov 13, 2017
There's a great Easter egg in the scene where Montoya is in her apartment. On the TV in the background you can see Arlene Sorkin as a clown character on days of our lives. This was the character that inspired Harley Quinn!

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie! I'm a big harley quinn fan, I read a good chunk of the new 52 and loved the references. Action was great, all the characters are enjoyable and likeable. I want more! Hopefully Margot Robbie stays as Harley Quinn for a long time!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked some of the performances but the movie itself was just a notch above Suicide Squad for me.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
Loved BoP. didnt expect the opening to be like that. fight scenes were ok some even good.

Thought the stuff with Bernie was a cool little thing that i didnt expect to make it from the comics.

I wasnt sold on Zsasz or Black Mask. but ended up kinda working with what they wanted to do, even felt like they made Zsasz strange enough. but killing both was a mistake or at least killing Sionis might of been a mistake for the future of world building in Gotham, i can see a way that Zsasz survived. The funhouse fight scene was the weakest of the movie, loved the GCPD/evidence room fight. I also expected Bruce to die in the explosion and then have Harley buy/steal Bud and Lou

Huntress worked better than i expected and had some great moments. hope they do more with the Birds and Sirens can finally get made.

Sep 28, 2018
Not a supporter but thought it was funny that one of the grievances that Black Mask has against Harley Quinn is her 2016 vote for

Bernie Sanders

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I... thought it was really mediocre. I really enjoyed the first half, like 7/10. The pacing, comedic styling, narrative everything was great. Then the second half it just fell so flat to me. That final battle was something out of the CW. Outside that they clearly didn't have anywhere near enough time to flush out any of the other characters so the pacing of bringing them in was just poor/felt awkward. (Canary/Cassandra and Harley) would have been the right balance, that's it, they mattered, the other two outside of being a cop on the case and then huntress just did nothing for me, window dressing (As much as I adore Winstead). Imo Robbie carries the film, and the more time spent on her the better. Overall I'd give this a rental rating at best.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
I enjoyed it. For a random henchman on an animated comic book show she's come a long way. Hopefully this movie is a success and Suicide Squad 2 can get an R rating too.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I want to see it tonight but gotta wait til this weekend. Might catch a super early showing so I can get home before the rush tomorrow. Glad it seems like a fun movie. All I really wanted out of it after the bad trailers.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was fucking great. My expectations weren't very high (thought 1st trailer was meh), but I enjoyed the hell out of this. Loved all the principal characters, but McGregor stole the show imo. Will try to find time next week to see it again. And since I'm sure this movie will be compared to the Deadpool movies, I thought this was way better than those two movies (which I didn't really like if I'm being honest)

Damn that blue-balling post-credit tease. I WANNA KNOW WHO BATMAN FUCKED!

May 24, 2019
I wish Sionis and Sasz kissed just once.

edit: And after Googling on that topic, the first video I click on is an interview with the two actors where Messina immediately gives McGregor a peck on the cheek.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I liked it. Really stylish and I loved all the interprestation of the characters. Huntress especially. MEW really brought something new to her interpretation. But the movie should really be called "The Fantabulous emancipation of one Harley Quinn feat the Birds of Prey."

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It was entertaining.
Robbie did a good performance and Mcgregor's black mask.

The R rating really made a good action scene

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the film, and I really liked it. I wish there was more Huntress in the film. Everyone did a fantastic job, and I like this Jason Todd version of Cassandra. It'd be cool if she eventually became a Robbin.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
The Harley Quinn cartoon is like the book and this is the movie version (as in condensed)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Really enjoyed it for the most part. By far the best tone and action sequences of any DCEU film; lots of mid shots and minimal cuts, also it doesn't devolve into a goopy hideous CGI mess like every other film in the franchise.

Very reminiscent of the first Deadpool in a lot of ways; uses a non-linear structure to try and paper over its forgettable nonsense plot, and mostly succeeds. A few characters definitely felt underserved (Huntress in particular) but overall it was fun, violent and visually interesting with solid performances.

Considering how much I heard about the gay representation in the film I was kinda disappointed how minimal it was, and how easily it could be edited out for foreign markets.

Also,
Shame that Ewan only wore the Black Mask for like 3-4 mins of screen time though :\

Solid 7/10 for me overall. One of the best DCEU films, definitely the most purely fun and the one I'd be most keen to revisit (largely due to the breezy tone and pacing and lack of janky CGI).

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Jahns and Stuckmann didn't like it too much, will probably give it a pass.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Anyone else catch this Easter egg "cameo"?
when Harley looks at the wanted poster and says "I know that guy," it's a photo of David Ayer lmao

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else catch this Easter egg "cameo"?
when Harley looks at the wanted poster and says "I know that guy," it's a photo of David Ayer lmao

In relation to the Easter egg

pretty sure that was captain boomerang, I was pretty happy that they did reference Suicide Squad a few times in the film