• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Just got out. Fuckin loved it. It was like some kind of technicolor, cotton candy John Wick shit. Margot and crew fuckin killed it. Really hoping this one has legs, really bummed to hear about the box office figures :/

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I've convinced like 10 people IRL to go see the movie. I really want to see more of Margot's Harley in the future and I liked Jurnee as Canary.

Harley has been buffed so much she could probably hold her own against Batman.

There, I said it.

Pattinson and Margot together would be fucking fire too and I want it to happen.
Harley usually does alright against Batman hand to hand for her size though. She's more of a physical threat than Joker at least. The film did a good job of showing off that Harley isn't your typical grunt with her skill and acrobatics.

and yeah, I do wonder if they've ever considered a Harley x Batman movie that at least is mostly platonic silliness like that one episode of BTAS. They're more likely to rightfully bring Ivy into the mix though.

I've never been a big fan of Batman x Catwoman but maybe Zoe Kravitz will change my mind.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Harley has been buffed so much she could probably hold her own against Batman.

There, I said it.

Pattinson and Margot together would be fucking fire too and I want it to happen.
Harley captured and could've killed Batman in the old Animated Series. And Joker was butthurt about it because she figured out how to do a plan that joker couldn't crack. 😂

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it. That's what I expected from a Harley Quinn movie. Not sure what they could've done to make it better even with a pg13 rating. I will say that from an action standpoint this is one of the best films to come out of Hollywood. This does action how it should be done. No shaky cam, quick cutting crap. It has a flow to it that outside of a few don't have.

I must have gotten a different cut than you, while the short action scenes (club, Canary) were good the longer action scenes had more cuts than a Taken movie. They were constant cuts and slow mo, especially the last big set piece. Its nowhere near the level of something like John Wick or Fury Road or Raid or IP man or anything else people would consider top form.

Movie was ok, it felt a bit unfocused and soulless. I like how it was more cheery (humor/color wise) than Suicide Squad, but I thought Black Mask was an awful "Joker lite" character, Zsasz was goofy not menacing, the central McGuffin was weird and uninteresting, and the shifts between "dark somber Arkham Knight" (acme plant, final third) and "goofy 60s Adam West" (night club, apartment, police station) was odd. Probably would have liked more of the second and less of the first. I'm probably in the minority on this but I thought Rosie Perez was miscast, I think it would have been far more effective if Ali Wong was the downtrodden detective with the heart of gold and Perez was the uptight DA.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
Just saw this at my local theater much like captain marvel it was nice visually but everything else was utterly boring and forgettable.

Huntress & Black Canary are the best characters in the film although they aren't given much screen time they do an ok job.

Didn't really care much for the detective's role in this film nor Cassandra Cain's character. I actually felt like the movie would have been better off if these characters weren't here. Harley is alright and I don't have much to say else about her.

Action was praised was odd to me considering most of it looked like it came from a CW show. It was a spectacle visually but the choreography had me rolling my eyes the entire way.

Overall a D-

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I made me and my partner fried egg sandwiches like the one Harley had.

I have never desired a fried egg sandwich so much.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
Just saw this at my local theater much like captain marvel it was nice visually but everything else was utterly boring and forgettable.

Huntress & Black Canary are the best characters in the film although they aren't given much screen time they do an ok job.

Didn't really care much for the detective's role in this film nor Cassandra Cain's character. I actually felt like the movie would have been better off if these characters weren't here. Harley is alright and I don't have much to say else about her.

Action was praised was odd to me considering most of it looked like it came from a CW show. It was a spectacle visually but the choreography had me rolling my eyes the entire way.

Overall a D-

I basically second this, but outside of the "Grievance" gags, I don't even think the movie was ultra visually effective; the end sequence in particular
probably would have been way cooler if they had used the whole park, neon-lit or something, to their advantage, similar to Shazam.

Idunno. The R rating had no purpose. Could have dropped most of the F-bombs and toned down the violence just a touch and WB would have doubled, maybe tripled, their audience. The supposed late additions of the John Wick director did not really seem to make much of a mark on the movie.

There are also some dumb character thought processes. You mean to tell me that Huntress has spent her *entire life*
researching and killing the people behind her family's slaughter, only to SUDDENLY LEARN that Black Mask was behind it?
. Didn't care much for Montoya; she felt heartwarming, but then the corny dialogue would come out.

I'll still go see the next DCEU movie- I love at least watching all superhero flicks- but I don't think I'll recommend this one to anyone, and outside of Shazam and the first 2/3 of Wonder Woman I'm still not really happy with that franchise.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I saw it Saturday. I thought it was OK. Some interesting visuals and production design. Unlike many others I wasn't a fan of the costume design. Some of the action was good, some was merely a step above a good CW sequence.

I am surprised this is rating so highly with critics and fans. Maybe word of mouth will save it, though I doubt it. This is probably the end for the incarnations of all of these characters in the DCEU outside of Harley.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Amazing movie, the finale was the weakest part but still good, the movie was very well paced and had a great way of introducing the characters, loved Canary and Huntress. Actually the whole of them were great except for Montoya, didn't like her much.

PS: The imdb score is disappointing, wonder if all these people actually watched the movie.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
It was better than the bad DC movies, but worse than the good ones imo. While McGregor acted his ass off, that wasn't Black Mask to me. Zsasz was total shit.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm sorry, I just came from the movie and the only thing my friends and I kept talking about is "Why do DC movies just not have *it*" (outside of Shazam, WW, and maybe even Aquaman outside some scenes)

It might be decent if you turn your brain completely off but even then I thought the action scenes were okay - just really convenient and predictable to the point I didn't feel like the protags were in any real trouble at any point. And often lacked motivation.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This and Wonder Woman were the only DCEU films I've liked to date. This film wasn't perfect but I thought it was p cute.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie, watched it last night after Parasite. Terrific action sequences, fantastic soundtrack, great cinematography, enjoyable characters. The story and some of the worldbuilding could have been a bit more polished perhaps but I had a great time. Don't want to start the Marvel vs DC or even the nuDC vs DCEU arguments, but it's definitely one of the most memorable comic book movies so far. It just has remarkable style and creativity for the genre - much rather would rewatch this than generic caped superhero saving the day for the 2000th time.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I would have liked some elements to get flashed out more. The mafia daughter, the hyena, Harley changing her look and such - I feel like there were many things that were kinda just hinted at and a bit underdeveloped. An extra 20-30 minutes would have made it a more complete movie, but on the flipside the shorter length made it keep up the pace nicely.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
God, this was so good! I'll do my part to spread the word of mouth, because this is exactly the kind of DC movies I want more of.

My only complaint is there's so little of all the ladies together, and a sequel could give us so much more great banter. I need more socially awkward Huntress in my life.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of this and man what a stinging disappointment. I was willing it to pull itself back together but it couldn't. I even saw a few people walking out midway through.

The action felt, pedestrian even with the rumored reshoots. Outside of the Huntress scene in the restaurant. Not once did any of the BoP actually feel dangerous or believable as people who can fight.

And then they pretty much undermine her character and make her a bit of a joke. The other characters don't fare much better. The whole thing felt slapped together. Outside of a few fun Harley bits and Ewan chewing the scenery. It really did feel like a feature-length CW show with swearing. I was pulling for this movie and they fudged it.

Let's hope Gotham City Sirens is given a stronger hand to watch over it. They really should have done that first.

But I can see why Margot Robbie choose this. Lesser characters to play against means she gets the bulk of the spotlight.

A gamble that hasn't paid off.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Movie was alright. Outside of Harley Quinn & Black Mask there weren't really a lot of standout performances and the most of the cast felt like CW show characters with less melodrama. Action was pretty hit or miss. Visually things usually looked nice but the choreography seemed to have a lot of "wait to be hit" moments. Wish it was more of a HQ movie and less of a Birds of Prey movie considering they weren't really all that interesting and didn't really have the time to be.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it today or I guess technically yesterday now and ehhhh it was just... okay? I didn't almost fall asleep watching it like I did Jumanji: TNL last week but still it was pretty average at absolute best. I like Robbie though I wish her Harley's character and design choices were more divorced from Suicide Squad's shit, I liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress and Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary as well and wish we got more and better stuff for both but the rest was just kinda blah, I kind of didn't like how Sionis/Black Mask was handled (or Zsasz for that matter) and I still absolutely hated the direction taken with Cass. Rosie Perez as Montoya was fine too but you could cut Montoya out of the movie all together and nothing of value would've been lost. There might've been too much Harley and I didn't care for the way it was structured, it kind of made the the characters not Harley seem unimportant IMO. The action reshoots weren't enough.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Saw this tonight and didn't like it much. I enjoyed the "teams" banter once they got together but the movie took far too long to get to that point. There was waaaaay too much back story and set up for such a simple concept. Fun shots, some good ideas but the story was not written well enough. There were far too many points that just didn't flow. Her Hyena, for example , is written to be a sentimental attachment for the purpose of humanizing her and make Harley a sympathetic character. Everything they did in regards to what should've been a key moment was horribly thrown away and wasted to the point that a random character appears and disappears without any meaning. It all could've been used so much more effectively for the purpose they even wrote it into the movie for. But that's just one example of a ton of things they could've done to make the story make more sense instead of jumping around and forcing things. It's just not good story telling imo.

Last edited:

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Had a totally fun time for what it was. Reminded me of cheesy action flicks of the 90's. Margot Robbie is a joy, it was funny to me when Ewan's accent came through too.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Ok maybe I'm a bit out of the loop on things but with some people's negative comments against this movie it is because it is 'woke'.

Having seen this film I can't really figure out what is woke about it.

There are no characters in this film of utmost purity. They all do things that can be seen as 'bad' (it just differs on the scale of badness).

I can't really see anything 'woke' about it. Is it because the main characters are female that makes a film such as this 'woke'? So all books, tv shows and movies that have females as their main characters are 'woke' too?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Saw it last weekend. Easily the best DC movie released to date.

Ok maybe I'm a bit out of the loop on things but with some people's negative comments against this movie it is because it is 'woke'.

There are no characters in this film of utmost purity. They all do things that can be seen as 'bad' (it just differs on the scale of badness).

I can't really see anything 'woke' about it. Is it because the main characters are female that makes a film such as this 'woke'? So all books, tv shows and movies that have females as their main characters are 'woke' too?

Maybe it is because Harley is revealed to be a Bernie supporter.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's quite literally just Bernie's name on the screen that would cause outrage.

People are dumb.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's considered woke by the alt right crowd because "girls beat up guys."

Probably the Bernie reference as well but trust me, the fact that this movie has woman who are capable of beating up men easily is what's really in there craw.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Likely my fav comic film ever. Certainly my fav DC film. Give Margot everything If it means she keeps playing Harley

Women stand tall, they do it without needing men, and they actively kick the asses of a lot of bad men. Each part of that gets the outrage of that crowd (spoiler: the crowd is almost entirely men)

That is by no means what "woke" started out as, but is what it has become in some particularly bad circles: if you're not actively catering to straight white men at all times, you're their enemy and they want you to pay for it

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it last night. I thought it was fun. Won't win anything of course but who cares. Started a little slow but was into it.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It was a big meh for me. There were parts I liked, but lots of lulls that took me out of the movie. The little song and dance part when she got hit didn't really work for me. It wasn't bad though, I liked most of the fight scenes and there were funny parts.

I really liked what Mary Elizabeth Winstead was doing with her character. Acting exactly how you would imagine someone who's been training to kill since they're were 8 years old and as a consequence has negative social skills. I wish there was more of her in the movie.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Saw it with friends while waiting for the Sonic session. I thought the movie was mediocre at it's best.

Feels like a lazy attempt to surf on Harley Quinn's popularity from the past Suicide Squad that fails to deliver something consistent. And I say "lazy" because everyone knows that the Achilles' Heel of the "super-hero" movies are always the screenplay. And there isn't exactly any reason to make this movie R-rated, unless for some ferocious language and some small points on scenes where could actually be removed on the editing.

The "Birds of Prey" are just there to make numbers. They could just be removed and focus on the Harley Quinn and the Black Mask's conflict that probably the movie would have the same weight, if not bigger. And speaking of that, Margot Robbie and Ewan McGregor are brilliant on their roles.

Fighting scenes are well made. It's what to expect of a Super Hero movie, even not being as visceral as the Deadpool ones, neither John Wick as some people like to pretend.

Saying that, I feel that this movie is something that probably would do a lot better on home video than on cinema.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I personally thought the movie was terrible and would rather watch suicide squad again.

It had bad lines, bad acting, and weird pacing issues.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Ewan McGregor, and Chris Messina were the only captivating actors.

Margot Robbie tried her best but the directing and writing was piss poor.

There was some small scenes that I enjoyed but yea I wouldn't watch this movie again.

Jan 10, 2018
I personally thought the movie was terrible and would rather watch suicide squad again.

It had bad lines, bad acting, and weird pacing issues.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Ewan McGregor, and Chris Messina were the only captivating actors.

Margot Robbie tried her best but the directing and writing was piss poor.

There was some small scenes that I enjoyed but yea I wouldn't watch this movie again.

Suicide Squad was fundamentally broken. It can only qualify as a movie because it was shot on film.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. The take on Zasz and Black Mask were great even if not comic accurate. Shame about its performance, but I've already pre-ordered the 4K blu-ray so I'm looking forward to that.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Took my SO to watch it and she came out kicking and punching you really underestimate how little women get in terms of action movies, while I had issues with some of it and the complete dissonance I feel watching DC movies it was a decent dumb fun watch, and women need more of that.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
If I would to give a comparison of movie styles, it would be the Coen Brothers. Because the way each action caused certain other events to happen were a sight to behold.

The other characters besides Harley were different from their comic counterparts, but the chemistry made it work.

I guess I'm the only one that thought that final action scene to be a cathartic mess of chaotic bliss.

Overall, it was a nice film, below the likes of Wonder Woman and Shazam, but enjoyable nevertheless. 7.5/10

As much as I liked Black Mask, I don't want that kind of villain to return. Especially if the sequel has Stephanie Brown in it. He got what he deserved.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I thought it was mediocre at best. All of the non-Harley Quinn characters are very underdeveloped as is the movie itself. Margot Robbie is good but not good enough to carry the whole thing. It's at least much more well edited and shot than Suicide Squad but the movie somehow still has the stink of being tangentially related to that dumpster fire.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this yesterday and was really excited to see it, i have to say it was just okay. The plot was so paper thin that it seemed like they just kept doing the same things over and over again. The Birds of Prey played such a small role in the film, I'm really surprised that was the name they decided for the movie.

Black Canary and Huntress were actually super interesting characters that didn't get enough development. I think my real issue is that outside of one character, none of them had super powers so the stakes just didn't seem that high. Black Mask was such a lame villain who's super power only seemed to be being rich. I don't regret going to see the movie but I can totally see how and why it underperformed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Movie was dumb fun. Action scenes were really great, especially during the climax.

The weird cutting of the flashbacks and narration from Harley was super annoying. Especially during the precinct fight. The Birds of Prey being side characters in this movie is just bleh. Montoya isn't even the Question in this, she's just cop lady. Dinah is calling herself Black Canary for some reason but also working for Black Mask for reasons? Cassandra is just unrecognizable, could have just been an original character. Ewan wasn't even playing Black Mask, he was just playing Joker. I think the only characters that felt like their comic characters were Harley and Helena.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It was ok. I think I liked the first half more than the latter. 1000% better than Suicide Squad for sure. I felt like Black mask was way overacted though. Isn't he usually rather cold and calculative?

Canary's scream was so dumb. Sure Suicide Squad already set the stage for supernatural stuff, but before that Canary had only broken a single class with her high note. Suddenly it is a sonic wave.

Harley noticed a poster of someone in the police station and said something like "I know that one". Who was that in the poster? I totally missed it.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It was ok. I think I liked the first half more than the latter. 1000% better than Suicide Squad for sure. I felt like Black mask was way overacted though. Isn't he usually rather cold and calculative?

Canary's scream was so dumb. Sure Suicide Squad already set the stage for supernatural stuff, but before that Canary had only broken a single class with her high note. Suddenly it is a sonic wave.

Harley noticed a poster of someone in the police station and said something like "I know that one". Who was that in the poster? I totally missed it.
But she wasn't trying to activate the
scream when she was singing. It's just showing how strong her voice is.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This movie is fucking good. Gonna flesh out my thoughts in a bit, but it's fucking good.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Saw the movie tonight and really liked it. The only thing I was iffy on was the number of times that the story reversed to show past events, though it wasn't too bad. Robbie continues to play a fantastic Harley Quinn, and the other actors were great as well. Just wish we got more backstory for the main cast outside of HQ and Huntress.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the movie tonight and really liked it. The only thing I was iffy on was the number of times that the story reversed to show past events, though it wasn't too bad. Robbie continues to play a fantastic Harley Quinn, and the other actors were great as well. Just wish we got more backstory for the main cast outside of HQ and Huntress.
Yeah it seems that's what a lot of people would liked to have seen. What we got was good but I coilda spent another 20-30 min with the BoP.

It feels like they're saving some of that for a sequel or the Batgirl flick.