• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Fantastic little video. James McCaffrey is so iconic in this VO role.

The original game has definitely aged in every regard and yet it's timeless in how perfectly playable and atmospheric it remains to this day. The comic book panel sequences are a result of budget restraints and yet they too are incredibly iconic and effective. The vibe of the snowed-in New York night full of revenge and tragedy continues to be an unmatched experience.

All time classic video game. It may not have been Remedy's first game but it's the one that defined them and their work.

Here's to Max Payne.

n1vc9zwyf4a8Q_RJYygvasniRwSbwEpDpwlBj9TiHMo.gif

max2.gif

1514981952_MaxPayneII.gif

I secretly wish that one day Rockstar would call them up with a carte blanche offer to either make a Max Payne 4 or produce some sort of reimagining.

Courtesy of archive.org
remedyteamhuge.jpg

The non-Flash website at 3DRealms even had their ESRB rating fax (!) available. Amazing.
Go nuts, if you're curious: https://web.archive.org/web/20041101000000*/maxpayne.com
max_esrb.jpg

Last edited:

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Never played it but saw the commercial countless times since it was featured in several issues of skateboarding videos from 411.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
What an excellent duology. I'm not going to shit on Rockstar's attempt, but it's clearly its own thing and things wrap up well enough at the end of 2 that I don't really want to think of 3 as part of it. Here's to you, Max. Dearest of all my friends.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My friend and I played the original game all night at launch into the morning. Such an amazing experience. It was one of those growing up that showed me good video game storytelling could be. I honestly miss that world, as dirty and sinister as it was.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
All 3 games are excellent. 1 is a bit rough to play today, but 2 still plays really well, and I replayed 3 once every year since release. I

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Brilliant video, and very iconic voice actor.

I loved all three Max Payne games. I was so hyped for MP2 when I got it in the mail, I lied to a girl about feeling ill and cancelled a dinner date. 😅

Max is once of the most tragic characters in gaming, whose self doubt, addiction, and remorse continues to force himself down a path of destruction, of his enemies, and himself.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic games. I remember when the first one was released, how much hype was behind it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of amazing how Sam Lake's face became so iconic because he simply put himself into his own game. Afaik wasn't this out of vanity either but simply out of budget reasons.

Razilez

Oct 25, 2017
That video put a huge smile on my face, Sam Lake for me is the iconic Max Payne model and seeing him dressed in the original costume with James McCaffrey doing the voice over just makes me long for another game in the series (yes with Sam Lakes model 👀). Also that guy has aged incredibly well, looks like he did in 2001!!

As for the game, it's one of my favourite games ever. At the time it released my PC wasn't capable of playing it so I opted for the PlayStation 2 version. Despite the compromises I absolutely loved it, and when I finally did get the PC version I loved it even more! Such an incredible experience from start to finish. The atmosphere of a snowy nighttime New York was perfection, along with fantastic writing, acting and amazing gameplay that I hadn't experienced before. I plan to replay it sometime soon, looking forward to it.

Here's to you Max Payne!

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite franchise.

I remember the first time I played it around my friend's house. I didn't know you could dive or activate slow motion until the Finito Brothers boss fight… when my friend decided to tell me. Blew my fucking mind 😂

Once I'd completed it, I would just get stoned, find a combat set-piece, chuck on some trip-hop and choreograph increasingly elaborate and stylish ways of taking down the mooks. Just an absolute joy of a game.

This game is even better with Kenneth Yeung's Kung-Fu mod.

Last edited:

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I raise my glass to the saddest and angriest man ever. May he never finds peace and keeps starring in awesome games.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing tribute. Sam Lake and James McCaffery teaming up for this actually made me a little emotional.

Max Payne was so influential for me, the first major game I played that had both gritty noir violence that felt genuinely seedy and dirty, and a layered narrative with lots of John Woo inspired action. It was grim, and created a complex character in Max who is incredibly troubled as a protagonist and has experienced some truly horrific things. It was one of my first M rated games too- I had to find a way to sneakily buy it and hide it from my parents. It inspired me to write (very badly) in middle school when I first played it. It got me into hard boiled detective noir. It made me appreciate how even action gaming could have layers of symbolism in it's story and how even old tropes could be made fresh with the right talent behind it. Hearing James McCaffrey's performance evolve from kind of awkward (but amazing) in the first to the sublime performance in 3 has been a treat.

It was and still is one of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's one of these rare games I play from start to finish every year. Great narration by James and dense atmosphere. I wish we had more games like Max Payne, QB, and Control. Remedy's approach to narrative TPS is exactly what I want from shooters.
It feels like they make game specifically for me.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game and one of the games I played a lot with friends back in the day. Using the Matrix and kung fu mods on PC are some great memories. Nice video.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
One of the games that got me into shooters.

The Kung Fu 3.0 mod for this game was fucking amazing.

It's kind of amazing how Sam Lake's face became so iconic because he simply put himself into his own game. Afaik wasn't this out of vanity either but simply out of budget reasons.
That's how I remember it too. I heard a lot of the characters in the comic book scenes in the first game were just developers in costumes.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Just a great game with some great writing.

New York sped by on fast forward,
dark rooftop water towers and a dead forest of antennas
and chimneys, all a blur. When the train he was riding
slowed down, Cognitti made his move.

Mine wasn't the most original approach to the problem.
It wasn't as if it hadn't been all done before. An eye
for an eye, the first principal of revenge. Old as dirt,
still going strong. The cardinal rule in going after
someone with an intention to kill was not to make it
personal... Which it almost always ended up being anyway.
It did with me.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Max Payne 2 is a top 10 game for me. Absolutely loved everything about it, mechanics, writing, pacing, soundtrack all superb. I used to play it every winter but have fallen off the past few years

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Is Sam Lake really tall or are those doors really small ?

Loved the video.
And loved every game in the series.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never played it but saw the commercial countless times since it was featured in several issues of skateboarding videos from 411.

Still my favorite game trailer ever.
It was like nothing I had seen before.

Man, I wish the old official website was up. That really what helped sell it. From the intro to the usage of this song when exploring the site, it just spews a provocatively grim feeling that well represented the game itself.I still think about how the intro ends with guns shots proceeding with the "then it was over" line to this day.

-

Yeah, it's just simply one of the greatest third person shooters ever made. The total package of what you hoped for out of a video game at the time. It also was a title that helped motivate me to get into the custom gaming PC world. I still feel like this is a game that other contemporaries should strive to be (assuming they're not trying to be clones like the Dead To Rights series).

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
all the characters in the first game are literally just all the devs and their family. one of the villains, iirc, is Sam Lake's mom?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
"Happy Birthday, Max Payne" - it was nice to hear James again.

Such a cool video, I really hope MP4 will happen.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Man, I wish the old official website was up. That really what helped sell it.
Cursed by Flash compatiblity now ...

Go nuts, if you're curious: https://web.archive.org/web/20041101000000*/maxpayne.com

remedyteamhuge.jpg

Back row, left to right:
Petri Ljungberg (IT)
Tuukka Taipalvesi (IT)
Sam Lake (Story&Script)
Petteri Salo (Programming, MaxEd)
Markus Mäki (Admin, IT)
Jaakko Lehtinen (Programming, MaxEd)
Aki Määttä (Level Design)
Matti Kamula (Graphics Design)
Samuli Viikinen (back) (Level Design, lead)
Peter Hajba (front) (Animation, Particles and Sound Design)
Marko Leinonen (Graphics Design)
Anssi Hyytiäinen (Level Design)
Olli Tervo (Programming)

Front row, left to right:
Tero Tolsa (Level Design)
Sami Vanhatalo (Art Lead)
Markus Stein (Programming, lead)
Petri Järvilehto (Project Lead)
Matias Myllyrinne (Business Admin)
Mika Reini (Office Manager)

The non-Flash website at 3DRealms even had their ESRB rating fax (!) available. Amazing.

max_esrb.jpg

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
all the characters in the first game are literally just all the devs and their family. one of the villains, iirc, is Sam Lake's mom?
Hahahaha
*shoots down metalic tower* Sorry, mom!

remedyteamhuge.jpg

Is that a 3D Realms/Duke Nukem Forever bottle?

Peter Hajba (front) (Animation, Particles and Sound Design) OMG, he did all that?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
While everyone here is posting about Max that was launched 20 years ago i really need to mention R* effort with Max Payne 3 that lacked in level design but it is to date one of the best TPS games if not the best one, with one of the best final missions

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
While everyone here is posting about Max that was launched 20 years ago i really need to mention R* effort with Max Payne 3 that lacked in level design but it is to date one of the best TPS games if not the best one, with one of the best final missions

Yep.

I think MP3's writing was pretty bad and the level deisgn lackluster, especially the constant "point of no return" where the doors lock behind you preventing you from backtracking for collectibles. But the actual gameplay, the shooting, it was sublime. Superb.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell you how many times I played through the original when it came out. Fucking legendary game and legendary series. Somehow, 20 years later, there aren't many things like it.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing groundbreaking game when it came out. "YOU COULD DO MATRIX BULLET TIME?!" was my reaction when I saw it for the first time. The Matrix had only came out 2 years prior, so seeing that slow motion kind of shit in a game blew me the fuck away. I loved the comic style story telling as well and McAffrey's voice over is so good. I loved Max Payne 3 despite its problems, it was still amazing to me.

Really hope there is either a remake of the trilogy or there is a MP4 on the way. The gameplay in 3 was so godamn good.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max Payne was a revelation in action games and story telling. What an amazing series. Love you Sam and James, thank you and the OG team for such great memories.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I remember development saga of this game as it was first game of this scale made in Finland, Remedy and Max Payne got a lot coverage at national level. Development also seemed to be somewhat riddled with issues as they had to delay several times and if I remember right Remedy came very close to having to close down because of that.

Max Payne was extremely ambitious project for them as their previous game had been Death Rally. Top down racing game with cars that had guns, mines, armor etc.

ss_3cc9e6da6868392d749381ee09fe7253bfa6e9f9.1920x1080.jpg

Then Max Payne released and became big hit over night basically.

AHK-Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
One of my all-time favorites. I adored the storytelling and the gameplay was transcendent for its time (and is still great!).

Still think about Lords & Ladies from time to time and it makes me chuckle.