• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some speculation that there's been a rush to buy it in India before it potentially gets banned by the government.

www.preev.com

BTC back to $9000
tenor.gif

wGcaEiv.png

What a crazy freaking ride a few hundred bucks, peaking at $20k Dec 2017, falling to $3k Dec 2018, and back to $10k USD.

Gimme all your hot takes Crypto-casual ERA:

Buy?
Sell?
Hodl?

Temporary Facebook Libra effect?
Wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole?
fryshutupandtakemymoney.jpg

ERA Crypto OT2
www.resetera.com

Cryptocurrency |OT2| Money's New ERA Shoots for the Moon! | Read OP for Thread Rules OT

This is the Second OT for discussing cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology that powers them. The original OT can be found here: Cryptocurrency |OT| A New ERA for Money. This space will be for discussing all subjects related to the topic of cryptocurrency: investing, mining, buying/selling...

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I still dont understand the people (if there truly are any) who expect bitcoin to ever work as currency.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait til we hear which exchange artificially inflated it this time eight months from now

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I bought into the hype with $100 worth in late December 2017, and I seem to recall it dropping not long after. Typical for my luck. Held onto it until literally two weeks ago when I figured I was never getting my money back - let alone any profit - and sold for around $60. Now it jumps up again? Fml

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still dont understand the people (if there truly are any) who expect bitcoin to ever work as currency.
It literally cannot. When it's traded in large volumes it takes more time to process a transaction than a regular bank transfer. The only benefit it has is anonymity....which is only really useful if you're trading in illegalities and tax evasion.

I'm sure there's better options out there to be used as an actual currency, but Bitcoin is a dud. At the moment it's just a speculative asset.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
It literally cannot. When it's traded in large volumes it takes more time to process a transaction than a regular bank transfer. The only benefit it has is anonymity....which is only really useful if you're trading in illegalities and tax evasion.

I'm sure there's better options out there to be used as an actual currency, but Bitcoin is a dud. At the moment it's just a speculative asset.
Well, it's anonymous so long as your BTC address isn't matched to your person (or a burner address isn't linked with a deanonymized address due to unilateral transfers). If that's gone, then your entire transaction history is available to look at!

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I'm so mad at myself when bitcoin craze happened because I had 300$ worth of it when it was 1500$ = 1BTC.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the price would go up

isn't libra gonna destroy it?

another pumpdump?
Libra is a dud. It literally goes against the entire point of crypto and just exists so Zuckerberg can say FB's involved in another hot internet trend.

Bitcoin exists to buy shit without the feds catching on to your transactions of human organs or CP. It's a libertarian wet dream.

Buy now!

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's happening again

Bitcoin just exists to buy shit without the feds catching on to your transactions of human organs or CP. It's a libertarian wet dream.

Buy now!

You would have to be an idiot to buy incredibly illegal stuff using BTC considering everything is public and they could very easily trace the transaction history back to you.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought into the hype with $100 worth in late December 2017, and I seem to recall it dropping not long after. Typical for my luck. Held onto it until literally two weeks ago when I figured I was never getting my money back - let alone any profit - and sold for around $60. Now it jumps up again? Fml
i hope you can learn to cope with your tremendous loss of $40, we all believe in you.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire cryptocurrency market just seems like a crazy speculation roller coaster for those already deeply involved.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Alt coins haven't risen nearly as much so no point in mining yet. I doubt it will rise to 20k again.

Spawnsniper

Oct 28, 2017
Well considering I bought a good amount at 3k... I sold half a couple days ago... the rest is in for the ride.. unless it goes back to 6k (the supposed great support) then I'll be loading up on more.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You think you feel bad? I had over 10 coins at $10 a piece. Sold for around $1300 a year or so later. Had I held till the peak I could have made like $200k lol
Bought a pair of low rung amd cards to mine in... 2013? 2014? it was around $7 a coin. Then it went up to like $28! Then it went back down again. But when I stopped mining a whole coin per day, I stopped mining. I'd already paid off the hardware, and mining much longer seemed not worthwhile.
So what's the best way to buy some? I got some cash back from my credit card that I wouldn't miss much.
Step 1) Build a time machine.

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
I've finally made back the money I lost lol. I'm juuuust short but it's close enough. Here are the lessons I've learned:

1) do not try to day trade/week trade/month trade. There is no fuckin way to tell what will happen other than "it's generally going down and might continue" or "it's generally going up and might continue"

2) stop checking that shit all the time. I would have made my money back faster just waiting for it to go back up instead of trying to buy and sell it to make money back, it's too hard to predict and i had to buy back in at a higher price to not miss out on further increases as many times as I was able to sell at a higher price and rebuy low.

3) just put some money in there. A few hundred bucks, a thousand, after that I will give no advice. But it's clearly not dead and is growing consistently overall. Put a few hundred bucks in. Worst case scenario you lose a hundred bucks. Best case scenario you make a few thousand. Put money in and just ignore it. Unless of course its been skyrocketing for months in which case you might want to wait (I personally do not think it hitting 10k counts as sky rocketing given its past fluctuations)

so yea now I'm just waiting. I'm not gonna look at it any more until it goes above 20k. If the past is anything, it's likely to hit at least 50k in the next year or two if not closer to 100k.

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019

I think the idea of digital money outside of banks is attractive enough to enough people to push it (maybe?) in the future to being usable as currency. Who knows though. I do think it has two actual solid financial positives to it right now:

1) if you live in a country where your economy is about to crash, I'm talking a dollar going down 10,000x worth in value, it's extremely easy to immediately transfer money into bitcoin, as opposed to say USD.

2) it works well for international remittances since the fees are way lower and it's MUCH faster.

Unfortunately both those scenarios are largely for people living in or from very impoverished countries and it's far less likely those people have access to stable internet or working smart phones for quick use, or even the knowledge of Bitcoin. I'm sure there are some folks out there who've used it beneficially for that but I can't imagine it's more than an extreme minority.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I bought about £25 worth maybe 18 months ago and it's now worth the most it's been in almost as long. Might just sell and be done with it tbh.