• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Personally i really liked this video, i am not the biggest fan of Black Clover but i do admit the series definitely has some merit especially the manga but i am curious on what you think of this video?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I haven't watched your video but I have read the manga from the beginning. It has always sucked. Just because it currently sucks a little less or has some parts that aren't awful doesn't negate the overall generic craptitude.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So, just power through the first 170 chapters of the manga or 24 hours straight of the anime and then it becomes enjoyable? Eh....

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I mean, I haven't watched your video but I have read the manga from the beginning. It has always sucked. Just because it currently sucks a little less or has some parts that aren't awful doesn't negate the overall generic craptitude.
This is not my video. Rather this is a video of one of my favourite anime reviewers.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, I gathered, I just meant the video you posted / provided. I find Black Clover to be as run of the mill as manga can be, with utterly boring characters. The art can be nice, though.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun read. The characters are nice and interesting. The battles can be cool at times.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a pretty good video. I disliked the anime at first but I've been enjoying it more recently, despite the occasional production issues (man I feel bad for the staff behind it). I still wish it was seasonal and the point about it feeling like a 2003 anime in 2018 is pretty fitting considering there aren't many recent Jump series with adaptations like this that don't take seasonal breaks. Though despite that, it's managed to find an audience (surprisingly popular on Crunchyroll) and got extended so their system works.

I do still much prefer the manga and I'm glad he recommends the manga in the video (also it's cool he likes BC more than he did last year). I would definitely recommend that version to battle shonen fans.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Standard shonen, nothing offensively bad but nothing stand out either. My hero academia at least has great moments even tho it lacks an amazing arc.
So, just power through the first 170 chapters of the manga or 24 hours straight of the anime and then it becomes enjoyable? Eh....
one piece didn't get good until Arlong park, that was kinda deep too.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man, is it just me or today has been about summary-less video OPs... it's really not a good look.
Quoting myself from my post on this vid on the Black Clover OT

Pretty good video by Gigguk, an anime YouTuber who made a video about Black Clover last year when the anime started and decided to revisit the topic. He talks about how the manga compares to the anime, how the arcs that have now been adapted (as well as manga-only stuff) compare to the beginning which is all the anime had to go on last year, the strengths in the cast of characters (with particular focus on Yami and Asta), pacing and usage of tropes and how BC overall finds its identity.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nah, it's still pretty sucky.

Terrible MC, virtually zero plot and worldbuilding, and atrociously boring villains. It's easily one of the worst series in Jump right now.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that OP's intro arcs aren't good. I agree that the OP anime has exactly the kind of pacing issues that makes me nope the heck out of it from minute one.
But Arlong Park happens over a hundred chapters earlier in OP than whatever is going on right now in Black Clover's manga, and fully twenty episodes of anime sooner than content this video admits hasn't even been adapted yet.
I believe everyone is willing to give their first shonen series a lot of latitude in finding its stride, so I won't hold One Piece in either media as a master of efficient storytelling or arc progression.
But I get the feeling it becomes harder and harder to grant that latitude the more shonen you get exposed to. Black Clover might power through its major developments faster than most, but even this video reminds you that it's still bog-standard shonen in every dimension and the longer I've been reading/watching the genre, the less tolerant I am of going through the motions with its more familiar story beats, characterization and moments of fan service. And this applies to everything, not just the new stuff.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I've read the manga on-and-off since release and I still find it pretty dire, the shockingly bad anime was just the turd icing on the cake.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I have to agree. It was "okay" at first. Very bland typical shonen, but it's been a fun show I'd say for the last two seasons Still the animation is pretty rough at times. But its got some catchy OPs.

Do you guys watch this in sub or dub? Watching in English made a big difference for me. Ashta is a lot more tolerable.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's... okay nowadays. Entirely run-of-the mill, but whatever. I wouldn't recommend it over much, but I don't hate it either. At least it's not done anything more egregious than when it just chucked in those characters from a novel or whatever with no real introduction, and it's probably at its best right now, yeah. Like... I guess I'd maybe recommend it sooner than Reborn at least (Reborn has better designs, but I'd say Black Clover is at least more competently made than that one.)

(Didn't have time to watch the video yet, sorry.)

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As of episode 53, it's still trash. Can't comment on the manga. Characters are still as surface level as they could possibly be without having sentient cardboard figurines flinging spells around.
No bad does not mean good, it's straight trash just like fairy tail.
I consider Fairy Tail entertaining trash. Black Clover is just straight up trash.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
interesting video, but I still don't think that's enough for me to go back to watching it

its flaws really really bother me, especially the awful anime pacing, and hearing that the animation remains inconsistent just makes things worse

I don't really do the whole manga thing so I'm going to still have to pass on Black Clover

oh also I can never get through any episode that has that dude who apparently gets a boner every time he thinks about his little sister? that's what the nosebleed means in anime traditionally, yes? like haha incest pedophilia isn't that so quirky and funny? how about fuck off

bullshit, One Piece was entertaining from the beginning

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Indeed.
The latest manga arc had some potential, but then they fucked it up and now it's all a bunch of boring Bleach-esque fights.
I find it pretty amusing that Gigguk chose to make this vid shortly after the anime finished the last arc that I actually liked from this series. If I was an anime-only watcher I might be temped to agree with him, but everything after the Vetto fight has been mediocre to straight up bad.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Having watched 40 something episodes of this (as part of the Toonami group watch, I wouldn't have watched this on my own), my opinion is that the show still sucks and hasn't improved at all since the beginning.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last anime arc of Black Clover was more interesting and better to watch than the provisional license exam arc in MHA.

I like it, magic tropes are fun even if the characters are a bit one dimensional. It's nothing unique but the shounen formula is executed decent enough

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
As of episode 53, it's still trash. Can't comment on the manga. Characters are still as surface level as they could possibly be without having sentient cardboard figurines flinging spells around.

I consider Fairy Tail entertaining trash. Black Clover is just straight up trash.
agree, thought fairy tail was ok pass time shounen when i have nothing to do, black clover is just awful

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, it's still consistently trash.

To me its like Bleach without the Banging art and soundtrack.

Bleach had weak plots but was carried by its art being fucking banging and the Anime was carried by the soundtrack like a mother fucker.

Also Bleach had a few anime movies that made me tear up.

The one with the Ghost girl who thought she was a soul reaper? ANd Her fading away at the end and being erased from everyones memories by the end? that shit fucked me up.

Black Clover makes me feel nothing. And It takes way to long to get Fairy tail level trash.

I don't know how they like any of the female characters in black clover. They are some of the blandest Waifu trash I've ever seen. MHA may not do alot but None of the girls are waifu bait and behave like rational human women with some slight personality quirks. Its one of the freshest things about that Manga.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It was never bad. The anime adapted the manga poorly. The early arcs are supposed to be quick and breezy to get through and introduce you to the main characters and set the tone of the world, but it's not supposed to take so....fucking...long.

The Seabed Temple arc is the culmination of the early parts of the story, after having developed half of the Black Bulls separately we finally see them work together, and Tabata shows us how this dysfunctional family solves their issues when together--how they believe in each other and rely on one another. It's solid stuff, and it's not even the best the series has to offer, with its coolest character yet to be introduced.