• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter was really good. I'm glad to see Asta's influence on Gauche as the dude is now willing to protect Grey and Hex-Guy. Gauche continues to look too cool while he's fighting and I'm a sucker for that. I'm also a sucker for Black Clover full-page drawings of determined faces and this chapter delivered on that,

Eh I think enough about BC that I should probs participate in this. I'm thinking there is going to be a bit of a reincarnated aspect to BC that'll show up in a bit more detail in probably this arc.

Also, I have a slight theory about the whole Guache thing.
Guache might be a demon, but not aware of it yet. If you notice with the three big demon bad guys, they're all kind of one extreme emotion. And Guache has an extreme love for his sister. And if you look at the person next to him, that person looks a little like Nozzle. What I think is that maybe the demon's might have a bit of a reincarnation aspect to them and that the "Three" big bad guys we've been knocking down aren't so much the only remaining demons, but just the only demon's they've been able to awaken. Everyone at that table might possible be a demon waiting to be "awaken"
I think you're on to something considering the image caliph posted and the fact that they're interested in Gauche.

Too busy writing BLack Clover fanfic(s)

--

There are a lot of things I like with the anime, filling in and giving us tons of backstory is pretty nice.

Though a part of me, as often happens with all these adaptations, does usually wish we could kick it into high gear and get into the major arcs faster. (had the same problems with HeroAca and Haikyuu)).
Lmao

And yeah, the anime has been getting better. The recent episodes with the Golden Dawn Trio's first mission were well made and if the anime is (for some reason) concerned with not catching up to the manga, then stuff like that is welcome. I'm especially looking forward to them adapting the light novel stuff so that we actually know who those people were (the adult guy from that was way too strong and important for him to be introduced out of the blue).

So can we talk about the amazing jump in quality this series has had in the past year or so?

The Witch Forest arc was mediocre to plain bad, but suddenly the series just started being damn good as soon as they were done with the wrap up. Way better than it had been before even.

Indeed we can! I liked the Witch arc for the ending fight where Mars helped the Black Bulls (I'm also a sucker for team fights and BC does that very well) but it is a low-point for BC when looking at the arcs after the intro. Castle Festival, Volcano Springs and Tournament were all fantastic though, especially the tournament as that one had a lot of great character moments. Noelle showed her family what's up, I gained a whole lot of respect for Finral (and I already had a lot due to the Water Temple arc) and Zora is a really interesting new character. Tournament was also the source of A LOT of great art and I now have way too many two-page spreads of BC saved on my iPad. And now it's more enjoyable than ever with Lady Mereoleona clowning fools (the whole Vermillion clan is way too awesome and much cooler than the Silvers).

EDIT: Page two motherfuckers we in there!

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed we can! I liked the Witch arc for the ending fight where Mars helped the Black Bulls (I'm also a sucker for team fights and BC does that very well) but it is a low-point for BC when looking at the arcs after the intro. Castle Festival, Volcano Springs and Tournament were all fantastic though, especially the tournament as that one had a lot of great character moments. Noelle showed her family what's up, I gained a whole lot of respect for Finral (and I already had a lot due to the Water Temple arc) and Zora is a really interesting new character. Tournament was also the source of A LOT of great art and I now have way too many two-page spreads of BC saved on my iPad. And now it's more enjoyable than ever with Lady Mereoleona clowning fools (the whole Vermillion clan is way too awesome and much cooler than the Silvers).

One of my criticisms about the series was the lack of dynamic paneling, but it's definitely improved recently. The tournament arc has also introduced a lot of my new favorite characters.

Characters have had a lot of good moments and developments.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The series has hit a certain stride for sure. The recent tournament really does work as something of a showcase for how things have come along - the team format, as well as the choice of team formations, really allowed for interesting dynamics both in powers and in character interactions. It's one of the few tournaments I've really read since Dragonball or YuGiOh that puts an emphasis on established friends fighting each other; even My Hero Academia for all the hype it got focused on fights between people who decidedly didn't normally interact.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The series has hit a certain stride for sure. The recent tournament really does work as something of a showcase for how things have come along - the team format, as well as the choice of team formations, really allowed for interesting dynamics both in powers and in character interactions. It's one of the few tournaments I've really read since Dragonball or YuGiOh that puts an emphasis on established friends fighting each other; even My Hero Academia for all the hype it got focused on fights between people who decidedly didn't normally interact.

Tournament structure was definitely well chosen. Random teams were very interesting and definitely a better choice than a boring "these guys from this squad vs. those guys from that squad". It was fun seeing them come up with strategies with new people and to me as long as a battle manga is able to have characters employ different strats, I'm fine it's only battles all the way through.

The friend aspect is also a very good point but most of all for me the highlights were the family fights involving Noelle and Finral, especially the ending of Finral's fight with Asta, Magna and Luck ready to kill Langris and that leading into Asta vs. Langris with also a great ending where Asta is caught by Magna and surrounded by his friends.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Tournament structure was definitely well chosen. Random teams were very interesting and definitely a better choice than a boring "these guys from this squad vs. those guys from that squad". It was fun seeing them come up with strategies with new people and to me as long as a battle manga is able to have characters employ different strats, I'm fine it's only battles all the way through.

The friend aspect is also a very good point but most of all for me the highlights were the family fights involving Noelle and Finral, especially the ending of Finral's fight with Asta, Magna and Luck ready to kill Langris and that leading into Asta vs. Langris with also a great ending where Asta is caught by Magna and surrounded by his friends.

That was also a good way out of having to deal with the rival confrontation early in the finals - Asta and friends basically deciding to screw the tournament structure, they have a score to settle. It's just... well handled in all.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So unless Liar gets a second wind or escapes the White eye pretty much lost all their big guns

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Licht has probably healed by now but yeah they're in serious trouble unless they pull some "these were merely the fake Third Eye trio" BS. Though Licht alone is still really strong.
those guys were supposed to be better fighters but I guess Licht has the most raw power

seems they are almost done as villains unless Licht can just make new third eyes

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
those guys were supposed to be better fighters but I guess Licht has the most raw power

seems they are almost done as villains unless Licht can just make new third eyes

I'm not even sure one way or another about the better fighter thing. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but Licht took on 3 captains at once, though that could've been him relying purely on his raw power.
(Edit: Actually no he just took on Yami, the three eyed girl is the one who took on the other captains)

And yeah. I wonder where BC goes after this arc. Still have the Diamond people to take care of but I wonder if they'll introduce a new foe (hell is that even possible?)

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not counting out the White Eyes just yet.

Liar is losing, but we still don't know what he was doing while he was undercover in the Clover Kingdom.
We have some sort of awakening getting ready to happen, which is likely going to effect those who may be of Elven lineage.
Those of Elven lineage appear to be dotted across the land, going by Gauche, Langris, and maybe, Yuno.
Licht has shown the ability to transplant souls into bodies, going by Fana, and Langris was acting just like she did while she was possessed and held a similar aura of power.

There is a lot of stuff bubbling under the surface with them and I'm very sure it's about to come to ahead.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
who do we think is the captain Liar impersonated
now we can rule out Noelle brother, Lil, Meleonla and her brother and the new captain
I think William Vangaence is more likely.
yeah more likely, they still never resolved Yami saying him and Licht being so similar

I was mostly joking because Yuno whole thing is the be the most special and awesome dude in the kingdom so u wouldn't be surprised if he 8s descended from someone important

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was mostly joking because Yuno whole thing is the be the most special and awesome dude in the kingdom so u wouldn't be surprised if he 8s descended from someone important

I honestly think Yuno is a descendant of the first Mage Emperor (and Asta somehow a descendant of the demon the emperor fought). Yuno looks similar to that statue, has some fancy necklace for whatever reason and was left in the village where the fight happened.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
In the newest manga chapter, I didnt realize there was someone who hadnt ever been introduced in the BLack Bulls but was seemingly there before, I guess thats the person emerging from the base? Cant wait.

~Glad Gauche can protect something other than his Sister for once~

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the newest manga chapter, I didnt realize there was someone who hadnt ever been introduced in the BLack Bulls but was seemingly there before, I guess thats the person emerging from the base? Cant wait.

~Glad Gauche can protect something other than his Sister for once~

Most likely their Vice-Captain right?

And yeah, Gauche's growth has been pleasant to see. He's been going up my favorite characters list since Asta's had an influence on him.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering where the hell was their vice captain and thought Yami was too lazy to elect one

plus I watched the dub recently when Asta joined the Black bulls and Yami mentioned they were still people not on base on missions but everyone was that we know was there

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering where the hell was their vice captain and thought Yami was too lazy to elect one

plus I watched the dub recently when Asta joined the Black bulls and Yami mentioned they were still people not on base on missions but everyone was that we know was there

Good point. I kinda like the numbers we have now since everyone has been able to show off often but if the author can keep that up while adding more people with diverse powers and fighting styles then I'm all for it.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's admittedly one of the useful aspects of the whole 'guild' setup, as Fairy Tail demonstrated before it. Want to introduce a new character but they've been noticeable absent prior to this? Just say they were out on missions. It's entirely fitting for the sort of work they do.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike the guild shit in Fairy Tail and I give Black clover credit for this even with all the shallow friendship talk that was pushed in Fairy Tail most of the guild don't feel like it matters

helps the cast is smaller in Black clover

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, BC has made more of a proactive effort in trying to make many of its arcs in some way focused on 'new' (from the audience perspective) Black Bulls members, and rotating out who exactly Asta gets to work with, vs Fairy Tail's default team approach which tended to squeeze out anyone who didn't orbit themselves around a powerful member, and well, those increasingly got put into default teams. Remember when Levy was supposed to have her own little group instead of being Gajeel's sidekick?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Fairy Tail friendship shit was bad

I remember when Natsu during the tournaments kicked his partner Gajeel to the curb so he could be the Dragon duo who were working together

but Natsu was wining and was getting the whole Natsu love friendship speech from Mavis

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's admittedly one of the useful aspects of the whole 'guild' setup, as Fairy Tail demonstrated before it. Want to introduce a new character but they've been noticeable absent prior to this? Just say they were out on missions. It's entirely fitting for the sort of work they do.
Agreed. It's pretty useful.

Yeah, BC has made more of a proactive effort in trying to make many of its arcs in some way focused on 'new' (from the audience perspective) Black Bulls members, and rotating out who exactly Asta gets to work with, vs Fairy Tail's default team approach which tended to squeeze out anyone who didn't orbit themselves around a powerful member, and well, those increasingly got put into default teams. Remember when Levy was supposed to have her own little group instead of being Gajeel's sidekick?

You nailed it! Fairy Tail did not handle this too well and at some point you just stop caring about anyone who isn't in Team Natsu. If the author wanted to make you like someone, he'd do so by first putting him/her in Team Natsu. Whereas BC makes you care about everyone because it rotates the pairings like you said.

Saussy Village: Asta, Noelle and Magna
Dungeon: Asta, Noelle and Luck
Kidnapped Children arc: Asta, Gauche and some old lady you don't even know about before hand but find really cool by the end.
Water Temple: Now this is where it gets good cause we get lots of pair-ups throughout different phases of the battles and some don't even involve Asta. You got Gauche, Grey and Charmy handling the Midnight Sun henchmen. Then with the fight against the Third Eye, you got Luck and Magna, then you get Asta and Kiato, then Noelle and Kahono, then Kahono and Kiato, then Asta and Noelle and finally Asta, Finral and Vanessa.

After that the author kept mixing up the pair-ups, with the witch arc where we get people from other kingdoms and especially in the great tournament arc where you got to see people bond with knights from other teams that they didn't even know.

And now we're at a point where despite the main action happening in the raid, it's still interesting to see Gauche, Grey and Gordon defend the HQ even though the MC is not even there.

Fairy Tail friendship shit was bad

I remember when Natsu during the tournaments kicked his partner Gajeel to the curb so he could be the Dragon duo who were working together

but Natsu was wining and was getting the whole Natsu love friendship speech from Mavis

That was BS. Like, it was badass to see Natsu solo the Twin Dragons but you can't take their power of friendship BS seriously after that.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
This chapter actually had me liking Gauche and co.

I'm behind on the anime but I think there should be a new op tomorrow so that's fun.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Just watch this show for the first time with my 2 sons....all 4 episodes amazing Anime...best I've seen since "One punch man" love the idea Asta has no magic in a magic filled world !

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Latest episode was pretty good. Not the biggest fan of Yuno but for whatever reason I got chills at the end. Maybe the last few episodes where they've endeared us to him are the reason.

Just watch this show for the first time with my 2 sons....all 4 episodes amazing Anime...best I've seen since "One punch man" love the idea Asta has no magic in a magic filled world !

1. As one of the biggest BC fans on this site, I'm happy you enjoyed it. However, if the first 4 episodes of Black Clover are the best thing you've seen since One Punch Man then damn you need to watch more anime.

2. This OT is now manga territory. Tread carefully

Hope this dungeon thing isn't the whole cour lol.

I love the new OP! I like the song about as much as the first one but the visuals are much better. For some reason, recent Pierrot OPs have been stellar on the visual department (Tokyo Ghoul, Twin Star Exorcists, Boruto and now this). They all have an incredible sense of style.
(edit: The re-used Asta animation towards the end is funny though)

Also, http://blackclover.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Story_Arcs

Introduction Arc is 10 chapters and 13 episodes.
Dungeon arc is 11 chapters so...it's not looking good.

In a perfect world, the current cour would adapt the Dungeon arc and the Royal Capital arc, with 1 episode adapting 2-3 chapters but with our current pace I doubt it. I wonder if we're even gonna get to the Water Temple arc, which I'd argue the anime adaptation desperately needs in order to get some good word of mouth. Though ending on the snow arc with the first big fight against the Midnight Sun, especially Yami vs Licht, wouldn't be so bad I guess.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
I guess next episode has to do two chapters since the running chest shown in the preview is 2 chapters ahead of where we stopped.

Actually was surprised we only covered one chapter, it felt like more content was in the episode.

Holy Lightning Shoes is actually pretty awesome. Luck is so fun in the anime.

The Dungeon appearing was actually good as well as the random traps.

Yuno/Asta together at last!

ED song is hot!

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Latest episode was pretty good. Not the biggest fan of Yuno but for whatever reason I got chills at the end. Maybe the last few episodes where they've endeared us to him are the reason.

1. As one of the biggest BC fans on this site, I'm happy you enjoyed it. However, if the first 4 episodes of Black Clover are the best thing you've seen since One Punch Man then damn you need to watch more anime.

I love the new OP! I like the song about as much as the first one but the visuals are much better. For some reason, recent Pierrot OPs have been stellar on the visual department (Tokyo Ghoul, Twin Star Exorcists, Boruto and now this). They all have an incredible sense of style.

In a perfect world, the current cour would adapt the Dungeon arc and the Royal Capital arc, with 1 episode adapting 2-3 chapters but with our current pace I doubt it. I wonder if we're even gonna get to the Water Temple arc, which I'd argue the anime adaptation desperately needs in order to get some good word of mouth. Though ending on the snow arc with the first big fight against the Midnight Sun, especially Yami vs Licht, wouldn't be so bad I guess.

Not the biggest fan of anime ...but this one out of like 3 id waste my time with ...most are too damn wierd

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not the biggest fan of anime ...but this one out of like 3 id waste my time with ...most are too damn wierd

Well hey, as long as you and your children are enjoying spending time together watching this, it's all good! At the end of the day, enjoyment/engagement derived from something is all that matters!

welp this is going to be painful

We'll get through it man! We somehow got through the first cour so an actual arc with action should be fine...right?

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
So his name is Henry and he's been siphoning power from the Black Bulls to stay alive. Seems pretty cool.

I wonder if that type of magic is gifted to those who have a natural affinity with Mana Zone? It seems like this magic and that concept should coincide somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Pffft you people and your OP analysis is weak. They showed all the captains in the little quick zoom by, and all the captains were fairly important in the next arc. You anime people will absolutely get into that stuff in this cour.

Also, my reaction to the chapter can be summed up as "We Sengoku Youko now" which I can live with cause that manga is fucking great. Go read it if you haven't.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So his name is Henry and he's been siphoning power from the Black Bulls to stay alive. Seems pretty cool.

I wonder if that type of magic is gifted to those who have a natural affinity with Mana Zone? It seems like this magic and that concept should coincide somehow.
It's also similar to game magic apparently

wonder if he can create monsters

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
...Man, that just gave me some mecha vibes. Including the base coming alive to kick some ass.

I like Henry.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the chapter and I already love Henry! Not the vice-captain like we expected but the idea that people living in that building give him life is very interesting. His power is very cool as well (especially the mecha at the end). I hope he gets integrated into the group after this arc, even if it's just when they're at the hideout.

It's also similar to game magic apparently

wonder if he can create monsters

Maybe brick Monsters that can detach from the hideout but not go too far? Hell maybe they can do something where he creates a brick monster that can go as far as he wants as long as he's near a Black Bull and then he can speak through that monster while staying in the hideout. Like a remote-controlled robot basically.

Also, the art was on point! I'm consistently impressed by it.

Pffft you people and your OP analysis is weak. They showed all the captains in the little quick zoom by, and all the captains were fairly important in the next arc.

You mean like they did in the first OP?

We can't really go off of what is in the OP. The OP clearly focuses on the Dungeon but it shows Licht who we don't see until the end of the arc that comes after the one that is after this one. Obviously I'm hoping for a quick pacing but there's no way we're getting to Licht while this OP is still airing, unless they keep it for the third cour and change the visuals a bit.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus and I thought One Pieces less than a chapter an episode currently was bad. Imagine having that right from the series onset...

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever considering Black Clover has 140 chapters out and this is not even planned to be an ongoing series. It'll just be airing for 50 episodes. They're absolutely not helping themselves, especially considering that Black Clover, more than any other Shonen like it, is something that absolutely needs to blitz past its beginning to show you why it is worth getting into it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
You guys don't understand we needed that 15 minutes flashback in episode 2 that could have been condensed into two minutes

as well as them walking to the capital that needed to be 5 minutes instead just skipping to them being there

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You guys don't understand we needed that 15 minutes flashback in episode 2 that could have been condensed into two minutes

as well as them walking to the capital that needed to be 5 minutes instead just skipping to them being there

*has PTSD flashbacks of the early eps*

Seriously, I'm salty AF over the damage Pierrot did to BC, a property that already needs all the help it can get.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
*has PTSD flashbacks of the early eps*

Seriously, I'm salty AF over the damage Pierrot did to BC, a property that already needs all the help it can get.

In a weird way they managed to make it loop around in so that they undid some of the damage through just how bad it was. In that it caused a lot of people, including some of the bigger fandom names - at least in the west - to check out the manga to try and understand how the show could turn out the way it did, only to come away thinking "That... wasn't half bad." It's caused more discussion and dissection of the source material's strengths vs the adaptation's weaknesses than I think would be normally expected.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Henry's reveal was pretty cool. I think he could be a valuable asset to the team with his base manipulation.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In a weird way they managed to make it loop around in so that they undid some of the damage through just how bad it was. In that it caused a lot of people, including some of the bigger fandom names - at least in the west - to check out the manga to try and understand how the show could turn out the way it did, only to come away thinking "That... wasn't half bad." It's caused more discussion and dissection of the source material's strengths vs the adaptation's weaknesses than I think would be normally expected.

That's actually a fair point!