• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's my favourite. When is saw him with Salmander I was so happy that i had tears in my eyes :D
He's one of my favorites too! He's really inspirational. Though when he came back I wasn't crying (well a little bit maybe...) but screaming!!!!

Honestly I just really love that family of Leona, Fuego and Leo. Laughably better than the Silvas.
(Hell even moreso if you add Mimosa and Kirsch)

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
He's one of my favorites too! He's really inspirational. Though when he came back I wasn't crying (well a little bit maybe...) but screaming!!!!

Honestly I just really love that family of Leona, Fuego and Leo. Laughably better than the Silvas.
(Hell even moreso if you add Mimosa and Kirsch)

Hell yeah they are awesome. Can't wait to see more of them

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yo Silfer, you were right in hyping me on Noelle. Damn, that Valkyrie form!

And it might be kinda cliche having the older siblings being dicks to you and then starting to respect you, but that was really cool and felt earned. Really liked the explanation of her having the potential of a royal and the training of a pleb to achieve greatness. The overall fight was quite smart (I particularly loved how she filled the whole place with water to drown the enemy).

Also, I never felt much regarding Fuegoleon. Sure, he had a cool design and all, but it was too short of a time for me to actually care. Now, that was another great double spread, though. Really excited about the character now. And the stuff with Salamander (and the other spirits) is really cool, dying to see more of them.

This arc is good, son.

PS: I'm sad that I'm getting close to a weekly release, so I'm thinking of rereading this. Doesn't seem like the anime is worth it, sadly?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for a cover image (1000 x 600)?
Otherwise will default and use a YunoAsta one ^_^
How about doing something with this? https://i.imgur.com/EnB9rsc.jpg
From the popularity poll. It's only thing I could think of with characters lined up like that in color.

Yo @Silfer, you were right in hyping me on Noelle. Damn, that Valkyrie form!

And it might be kinda cliche having the older siblings being dicks to you and then starting to respect you, but that was really cool and felt earned. Really liked the explanation of her having the potential of a royal and the training of a pleb to achieve greatness. The overall fight was quite smart (I particularly loved how she filled the whole place with water to drown the enemy).

Valkyrie form is so hype. Made especially cool by having shown her mother like that before.
And it made me appreciate the way people gain spells in this series more because when I started it, the idea that the grimoire would just get new stuff whenever was concerning to me because it felt like it could lead to characters magically getting unearned trump cards. But turns out the grimoire doesn't just give them spells to save them but rather when they're in a particular situation and have accomplished specific objectives beforehand. Like in this case the manga calls attention to the fact that Noelle trained a lot, which is rare for royals (and when they do, they become monsters like Mereoleona), had developed mana skin in an earlier arc and the enemy's compass thing made it so Noelle could only control magic that was very close to her body. And so all that combines into a water armor/spear spell and I can just buy into it more easily.

Also, I never felt much regarding Fuegoleon. Sure, he had a cool design and all, but it was too short of a time for me to actually care. Now, that was another great double spread, though. Really excited about the character now. And the stuff with Salamander (and the other spirits) is really cool, dying to see more of them.

This arc is good, son.

PS: I'm sad that I'm getting close to a weekly release, so I'm thinking of rereading this. Doesn't seem like the anime is worth it, sadly?
You mean BACK-TO-BACK double spreads!! (Real talk, I'm a sucker for when this manga does that lol)
But yeah his comeback with Salamander makes me very excited to see more of him. He will not lose a second time!!

Yeah I've been loving this arc, glad you're enjoying it too. And no, I wouldn't recommend the anime if you want to go through this stuff again unless you're really just curious about it. Even since the anime's been airing, I just re-read the manga. I do recommend checking out Episode 35 (Yami vs Licht) and Episode 49 (End of the Vetto fight).
But the anime's been doing the Witch Forest arc and I've been liking that more than usual so maybe in the future I'll feel better about recommending the anime.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Valkyrie form is so hype. Made especially cool by having shown her mother like that before.
And it made me appreciate the way people gain spells in this series more because when I started it, the idea that the grimoire would just get new stuff whenever was concerning to me because it felt like it could lead to characters magically getting unearned trump cards. But turns out the grimoire doesn't just give them spells to save them but rather when they're in a particular situation and have accomplished specific objectives beforehand. Like in this case the manga calls attention to the fact that Noelle trained a lot, which is rare for royals (and when they do, they become monsters like Mereoleona), had developed mana skin in an earlier arc and the enemy's compass thing made it so Noelle could only control magic that was very close to her body. And so all that combines into a water armor/spear spell and I can just buy into it more easily.
Yeah, at first I was like "I've seen this before" lol. That was a hint that I need a reread, as it took me a few seconds to remember her mother.

Honestly, the whole fighting system in the manga has so many concepts I love: everybody focusing on magic (which makes them disregard their physicality barring a few characters), the nobles having the bigger share of talent (with cool things like the concept of them not really pushing themselves), the Grimoires themselves, mana skin, anti-magic... It helps that fights are easy to follow, really well drawn and not long at all.

Loved that fight.
You mean BACK-TO-BACK double spreads!! (Real talk, I'm a sucker for when this manga does that lol)
But yeah his comeback with Salamander makes me very excited to see more of him. He will not lose a second time!!

Yeah I've been loving this arc, glad you're enjoying it too. And no, I wouldn't recommend the anime if you want to go through this stuff again unless you're really just curious about it. Even since the anime's been airing, I just re-read the manga. I do recommend checking out Episode 35 (Yami vs Licht) and Episode 49 (End of the Vetto fight).
But the anime's been doing the Witch Forest arc and I've been liking that more than usual so maybe in the future I'll feel better about recommending the anime.
Yeah, I was a bit sleepy when reading, so I wasn't paying that much attention and then bam, that spread. One has to wonder (and I assume you guys have talked about this before) that the Water Spirit is going to have some link to Noelle in some way: be it her acquiring it, fighting an enemy that has it or whatever.

Shame about the anime! Will check those episodes out, though. And I will probably do like with One Piece and watch particular moments (or even full chapters) I liked in the manga.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was a bit sleepy when reading, so I wasn't paying that much attention and then bam, that spread. One has to wonder (and I assume you guys have talked about this before) that the Water Spirit is going to have some link to Noelle in some way: be it her acquiring it, fighting an enemy that has it or whatever.
Yeah it's been brought up here since Fuego showed up again. I lean towards her fighting whoever has the spirit (both in terms of what I want and what I expect) because I think that would make for a cool fight where it's the same element but she's at a disadvantage on paper. And also the Clover kingdom already has half of the spirits now, can't stack it too much lol.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice chapter today. Just as last week I liked how Sally deduced she could just ask for an exit, I like how Elf-Dorothy can just seal them lol. The simplicity of this OP as hell dream world is pretty cool. Luck coming up with the plan surprised me but then I remembered he was the one to come up with the plan way back in the first dungeon arc when they fought that Diamond smoke guy Lotus so him doing the same here again is nice. I lost it when I saw the Dorothy silhouette. The way the plan combined the efforts and magic of every one present is excellent and Luck's understanding of being possessed being the key is just great. And of course it just works because that dream world is beautifully simple and now we have a coherent way for them to win. This is why I love these fights lol.

Real Dorothy...I did not expect her to be like this at all lol. I expected some lazy, grumpy person who'd complain about wanting to sleep but she's really energetic (I wonder if the line about finally meeting someone like her means she's just really bored otherwise and that's why she's always sleeping. Probably be digging too much into it). But with how serious and mad everyone is in this arc, I'll take this energy anytime I can.

Yo Tabata letting loose with those spreads again. Back-to-back-to-back lmao. The one with the two Dorothys clashing is especially fun and is a good way to show how ridiculously OP they are (flame tigers are my favorite of the various summons). And then that Lightning/Flame Style: Combo Rasengan is just the cherry on top.
Man writing about this chapter...turns out I love it more than I initially realized lol. One of my favorite battles I think. Cool magic, nice environment, fun displays of personality, great teamwork.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Tabata really loves pushing LuckMagna, I wish someday we get a YunoAsta combo attack, cause LuckMagnas is pretty amazing.

Dream world was massive and all that drawing he had to do for a weekly manga, just wow.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Today's episode didn't look as good as the previous two but it was still enjoyable, and fun thanks to Ladros.
The tiny bit that was shown from next week's episode seems extremely promising though.

Funnily enough, the manga did a better job of conveying a sense of motion in the panel where Asta's sword hits Ladros than the corresponding anime scene did.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

Marie being able to use such a powerful skill no grimoire is pretty awesome, wonder how soon it will take for her to be this epic in her normal form?

I loved magic reflect magic, pretty cool panel.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome chapter. Marie's magic is pretty cool. Wonder if she'll have more beyond just freezing people.
Love the art for the panel of Asta breaking free. As well as the spread for the really quick teamwork. Pretty cool to show them doing that so seamlessly and send it back to Drowa, as a display of the BB's teamwork obviously but also understanding of Gauche's magic, in contrast to the Dream world crew that for whom it took a few more steps.

One thing I believe Black Clover overuses is the "2+ people shouting the same line at the same time!" thing but at the end of this chapter I really liked it because of the well-drawn and gripping facial expressions and dynamic paneling. Good stuff.
I can't believe Drowa/Ecra are about to useTHAT!!!

Minor thing that has me MIFFED: Elf Gauche, or Drowa (btw I'd much rather "Droite" like in one of the fan versions), is positioned as a reflection of Gauche not only in his being an elf but also his name being supposed to be the opposite of "gauche" in french...and yet his hair is positioned in the same manner and covers the same eye as regular Gauche. You might think "oh well that's cause it's still Gauche's body" and that would be fair as I thought the same but then I checked the wiki and even as an elf his hair is the same way! Missed opportunity!
Marie being able to use such a powerful skill no grimoire is pretty awesome, wonder how soon it will take for her to be this epic in her normal form?
We would need quite the timeskip for that considering they get grimoires at 15.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Today's episode

That was a differentially animated episode even simple shots (the girls looking at black meteorite for example) looked beautiful.

Favorite was the aerial scenes. I couldnt rip my face away from my TV.

Asta slashing through the dragon was the best.

Last edited:

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that was a great episode!

Great animation, some beautiful shots and overall great direction.

Definitely Black Clover's best episode.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love today's episode. They really went all out. Many different art styles were used for the various moments and moods and I think it was done to great effect. I don't think there's been another episode of this series where my eyes were just glued to the screen like this anticipating every single second lol. Definitely gonna be rewatching this one a lot. Great stuff.

Tornak Feel free to add Episode 63 to the shortlist of eps you should check out when you can.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Me during that fight:

tenor.gif

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Love today's episode. They really went all out. Many different art styles were used for the various moments and moods and I think it was done to great effect. I don't think there's been another episode of this series where my eyes were just glued to the screen like this anticipating every single second lol. Definitely gonna be rewatching this one a lot. Great stuff.

Tornak Feel free to add Episode 63 to the shortlist of eps you should check out when you can.
I actually saw a few gifs on my Twitter timeline this morning and what I saw looked just great. I'll remember!

I'm finally on the current chapter btw! I read it last night and I'll post my overall impressions later; will now follow the manga week to week. In the meanwhile, I might continue MHA from what I left it off (I loved it, but yeah) and Blue Exorcist (I started the manga back when the very first chapter came out! But at some point I stopped reading it and kinda forgot about it, even though I really, really like it. Fuck monthly releases tbh).

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually saw a few gifs on my Twitter timeline this morning and what I saw looked just great. I'll remember!

I'm finally on the current chapter btw! I read it last night and I'll post my overall impressions later; will now follow the manga week to week. In the meanwhile, I might continue MHA from what I left it off (I loved it, but yeah) and Blue Exorcist (I started the manga back when the very first chapter came out! But at some point I stopped reading it and kinda forgot about it, even though I really, really like it. Fuck monthly releases tbh).
Nice!! Looking forward to those impressions (gotta ask you to include your favorite fight of this arc so far), as well as MHA impressions eventually in that thread. And if you want to discuss Blue Exorcist, just feel free to tag me anywhere lol. Love that manga (but yes monthly is hard lol).

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Finally up to date! The dream world chapters were really fun, the art was stellar there and the powers, very interesting. The dream eaters were really cool.

Actually, the author is really good at creating a constant stream of big ass effects and explosions, come to think of it. Every fight is pretty spectacular in their own way.

I don't think we've got much left of this arc, and I'm really curious to see where we're headed next.
Nice!! Looking forward to those impressions (gotta ask you to include your favorite fight of this arc so far), as well as MHA impressions eventually in that thread. And if you want to discuss Blue Exorcist, just feel free to tag me anywhere lol. Love that manga (but yes monthly is hard lol).
I really liked Julius vs. Patolli! It wasn't the longest fight, but the sheer power of both of these characters and that backdrop made it really cool. The stakes were really high and the result is basically going to change the country now. I'm also partial to Noelle's Valkyrie form, as I really like the design, the character as a whole and the fight was meaningful (the sibling and all) and inventive.

What I hate the most is that my memory is shit and has been for a while even though I'm still very young :( So I only truly remember the broadest of strokes when it comes to manga (curiously enough, OP, as massive as it is, I remember better than shorter series like this one or MHA). But that's also kinda nice as I get to enjoy rereads more lol. I'll try to juggle between MHA, BE and a BC reread.

And yeah, it really turns me off, even when it's manga I really love (Vinland Saga, OPM, AoT...) and then I have a hard time going back if a few months have gone by. I remember putting Blue Exorcist on hold a little bit after the Impure King arc wrapped up. Don't know why I didn't continue, I love everything about it tbh.
no need to rush since we've been in backstory arc for like 1.5 volumes worth of content, but its nearly over ^_^.
Haha, I'm taking my time then! I'm on the Impure King arc climax as of now. I think I know what backstory arc you're talking about, as I decided to return to the manga after reading impressions of the current chapters in the manga thread.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice chapter, though it seemed pretty short. "THAT" wasn't what I expected (not quite sure what I actually expected lol) but it makes sense for Elf Gauche to apply something Gauche already did but more dangerously because of Marie. Asta going into his Black from while Henry sent stuff up for cover was pretty cool and I'm really liking Grey's magic conversion stuff.
Looking forward to what Henry has planned. I assume this battle will end next time.
I really liked Julius vs. Patolli! It wasn't the longest fight, but the sheer power of both of these characters and that backdrop made it really cool. The stakes were really high and the result is basically going to change the country now. I'm also partial to Noelle's Valkyrie form, as I really like the design, the character as a whole and the fight was meaningful (the sibling and all) and inventive.
Yeah I really liked the Julius fight too. Quick and yet it's the biggest scale seen so far with two of the strongest characters at that point (and one of the rare 1v1).
My favorite is Noelle's recent fight because she's my favorite and that was a great fight for her character in terms of power and character building but I also really like Mereoleona's fight with Raia (+the other elves who joined in later) and the dream world fight from a couple chapters ago.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Asta's Zwaaa was the coolest panel ever and I like how even with this powerup it hasnt made him like invincible and etc since he still was prone to forgetting about his Ki just used moments prior and even forgot about not looking at Gauche.

Henry with that well timed support was awesome.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
They made the cat so insanely cute.

Loved the anime version because of the faces and voice to the witch and seeing her trying to defy fate/destiny ceaselessly.

Dec 28, 2018
Because of the long break I decided to give this series a read through and I've read up to chapter 40. Despite it employing a great number of Shonen tropes I like it so far. Asta is a pretty likeable protagonist and Yuno seems like a good rival so far, the Black Bulls seem like an interesting group for the most part, though I don't like either Vanessa or Gauche. Noelle is okay as far as main female leads go but I don't have much hope for her, as time and time again I've been burned by the treatment of female leads in Shonen manga, so I'm not about to get my hopes up for her. Story wise its nothing to great but its decent enough that I want to keep reading to see what happens. villains so far are kind whatever but for some reason I rather liked that Lotus guy, he was pretty chill. So far I'd say It's a solid 7/10.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
The scenes in the new OP!!!!! WOW its gonna be so epic seeing those team ups animated! But even if the episode quality doesnt match the OP quality, just seeing what the OP did for them was exciting on its own, like. Wow.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
I just caught up with the dub(we are 2 episodes behind at this point) and man....I haven't seen an ability this potentially overpowered since seeing JoJo. That cat might as well be a stand. Worse(or better depending on how you look at it) than Bites the Dust and The World.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

Nero knows whats up.

The way my heart leaped for joy at so many characters showing up, and that Solid moment! Still, enjoyed Nozels the most. Also the Feugoleon and lerleona!!!!! This arc is epic!

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

That was actually a great way to get rid of two antagonist at once while finally showing us the Mereo Fueggy fight of a lifetime and their current levels. Pretty epic chapter.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I visited this thread.

Today's episode adapted another of my favourite moments, and besides the limited animation, I thought they did a pretty decent job. But more importantly, Mereoleona has finally appeared, can't wait to see more of her.

Also, the latest chapter was great with Mereo and Fugeo, glad they finished their fight within this chapter.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This Charmy reveal.

r8ZGKel.gif

All of my respect. Apparently, it was even foreshadowed a few times too.

EDIT: WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING. I love this reveal even more.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

Thats actually interesting, humans/witches, elves, and now dwarves, theres so much future potential for tons more content for this series. Go Miz Charmy.

Pretty epic chapter, hope Rill returns to normal so we can see more of his magic in action.

Where Yuno go.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent chapter. I'm really happy to see this long ass build up with Charmy paying off like this and her reaction to the news is hilarious. Overall really funny and exciting chapter with great art.. The sheep/wolf thing is very cool as well.