• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
EppionbWMAABKCn

Synopsis: Asta and Yuno were abandoned together at the same church and have been inseparable since. As children, they promised that they would compete against each other to see who would become the next Emperor Magus. However, as they grew up, some differences between them became plain. Yuno was a genius with magic, with amazing power and control, while Asta could not use magic at all, and tried to make up for his lack by training physically. When they received their Grimoires at age 15, Yuno got a spectacular book with a four-leaf clover (most people receive a three-leaf-clover), while Asta received nothing at all. However, when Yuno was threatened, the truth about Asta's power was revealed, he received a five-leaf clover Grimoire, a "black clover"! Now the two friends are heading out in the world, both seeking the same goal!

-Inspired by the talented mind behind Naruto, BLack Clover joins Hero Academia as the newest series to try to emulate while bringing fresh ideas to the table in Shonen Jump. With magic, fun, comedy, great music and visuals, BLack Clover begs to be watched.

See it on

Crunchyroll (JPN Audio)
Funimation (English Audio on hiatus because of Covid-19)

*NEWS* (as of December 19, 2020)
With the anime reaching the newest manga arc, Tabata is working with the anime staff for original animated content to fill in the gaps left between the introduction of the newest kingdom and the beginning of the plot for the ensuing antagonists.

BLack Clover is entering into its 4th season

Please watch BLack Clover, do it for Asta ^_^
tumblr_oyc582bp5X1sqwgnro1_540.gif

tumblr_oyc4xkTP1j1vj5j9co2_540.gif

tumblr_oyc26wBp1o1qa94xto2_540.gif

Last edited:

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about the manga here too :P? Because goddamn it is intense.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 was the best of the series by far.

Teasing some random future characters lol (I don't know how to do spoilers here).

Neophant

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe there's already a forum here. Big fan of the manga and just caught up to the anime. Really loving how it looks and animates so far!

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Latest chapters have been great. I think all the manga needs to a great villain.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
English SimulDub Trailer

Starts on the 29th October.

Based on the trailer the dub sounds pretty good to me. Don't know yet if I'll drop the sub for the dub.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely.

--

Didnt expect funi was dubbing ep1 and 2 on today. I think I definitely prefer this dub a bit, it makes everything feel was more intense and exciting.

Damn I didn't know the dub would come out today (expected it on Tuesday).

Unrelated to Black Clover but it's amazing how quick dubs come out nowadays. I remember when they were years behind. It's a fantastic time to be a dub lover and I think that'll help the industry in the long run.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the two dub episodes and it is much better than the sub. Good on Funimation for releasing both episodes at once. Not only does that allow them to stay on their two-week target (episode 5 sub comes out tomorrow so 3 dub tomorrow would make sense) but with the anime weirdly splitting a 50-page chapter 1 into two episodes with an unnecessary flashback (which I enjoyed but undeniably unnecessary), being able to watch the two episodes back to back is better. Hope the dub is as good as it initially seems and I hope the anime in general gets better. Hopefully people stick around until we get to see more of the supporting cast as they are by far the highlight of Black Clover (as is often the case in Shonen anime/manga IMO).

I've also been progressively re-reading the manga. I read Weekly Shonen Jump but when I catching up to Black Clover, I read it on scanlation sites (until I got to the chapters that have been in the issues I've had access to since subscribing) so I'm now buying the official volumes and it's been fun going through it again. I can easily recommend the volumes as they're good quality and available for a good price (both digitally and physically).

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

I actually felt a bit of suspense and shock when Asta wasnt picked there, no hands or nothing, I guess I completely forgot how that whole moment happened in the manga but it was amazing here.

Random fights and randoms giong through the process was a good addition.

Also Yuno protecting Asta (unaware) was pretty awesome too. Great episode.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Episode was alright, but felt too slow. I didn't like them playing up that Asta had no offers after the silence here where it went straight to Yami jumping down in the manga, but I guess it made sense for a commercial break spot.

It's lame that they didn't include the shot of the group being crazy here and it was instead just fire. Make's Yami's line less cool. I imagine they will include the shot next episode though.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like it'd be enjoyable, but the anime feels unbelievably slow right now.

Really is a big problem for the anime. The manga starting off generic doesn't hurt it as much because it goes through the generic stuff quickly whereas the anime doesn't seem at all interested in convincing people that there's more to it.

At least we're finally getting to the supporting cast, which is my favorite part of Black Clover. I like Yuno because I'm a sucker for cool, edgy characters (though he's best in the comedy situations) but the supporting cast of Black Clover, starting with the Black Bulls, are a much better part of the series and I don't like how the anime has focused on Yuno so much.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Dub is way better then the sub, anecdotal evidence but a bunch of my friends who shut the sub off after 5 minutes finished the first two episodes dubbed easily.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Before this started airing I was hoping it was gonna have short seasons like MHA but after seeing how it's paced I guess it's for the best that we don't only get 13 episodes. Guess Pierrot needs to make money considering Naruto Shippuden ended. Hopefully it gains momentum overtime and manages to grow a bigger audience. I'm currently re-reading the manga through the volumes and Black Clover really is very good as a shonen action series so I'm hoping the anime gets some good buzz once we get into the real stuff.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really cannot defend this adaptation anymore. I just saw Episode 6 and the pacing is just terrible. I don't know how the hell you take 6 episodes to adapt 4 chapters but somehow they did it. This is even more ridiculous than the One Piece anime and there is no excuse for that considering how far ahead the manga is.

At this point I'm only gonna watch it because I'm a big fan of Black Clover but I really cannot recommend this to anyone as it is now. I hope that they are receptive to the feedback because I want to see good adaptations of my favorite moments.
Swear to God if they mess up the Underwater Temple arc I'll be pissed

In more positive news, Volume 9 of the manga just came out in North America.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Really I thought it was great, and in my quick browsing it seemed they did adapt a bit more than 1 chpter this time.

The firebaseball stuff was hilarious and epic, and Luck was actually pretty funny, well all the Black Bulls were.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the episode but can't help but still feel disappointed in the way they're adapting it, really wished they adapted more than 1 chapter. Nevertheless, it was a fun episode loved the way they introduced the Black Bulls, and can't wait to see more of Luck.

Also, I am probably overreacting but I still can't stand Asta's screaming, usually I would get used to it but this time I can't, even going through the chapters again I can't get it out of my head. Think I'll be dropping the sub for the dub.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really I thought it was great, and in my quick browsing it seemed they did adapt a bit more than 1 chpter this time.
Nope. This was Chapter 4 streched as far as it possibly could with one minute of Yuno stuff added to the beginning. It starts right were Chap. 4 starts (presentation of the BB) and ends exactly where Chap. 4 ends (Noelle looking at what's happening and calling Asta an insect).

Also, I am probably overreacting but I still can't stand Asta's screaming, usually I would get used to it but this time I can't, even going through the chapters again I can't get it out of my head. Think I'll be dropping the sub for the dub.

This episode was the one that started to really test my patience with that but thankfully Yami himself kept telling Asta to shut up.

xZoneHunter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the show so far, for some reason i get a very fairy tail vibe from it. (especially with the magic knight organisations)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the show so far, for some reason i get a very fairy tail vibe from it. (especially with the magic knight organisations)

Beginning definitely has clear Fairy Tail vibes with the Magic Knight squad and the fact that they have a clear HQ, like the Fairy Tail guild does.
If you like Fairy Tail, I think there's a chance you'll like this even more (at least that's my case). Black Clover does a much better job with arc variety as well as the way fighting is handled.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So who exactly is Gauche

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Dude is way too strong so there's probably a lot more of his backstory that's waiting to be revealed. They were saying his powers were similar to the Midnight Sun leader's.

Also, are Asta and Yuno descendants of the big demon and 1st Mage Emperor, respectively? I feel like Yuno looks similar to the 1st ME and Asta being compared to a demon as well as the two being left in the village where the fight happened probably has a reason behind it.

Oh and Mereoleona >>>>>>

Also, I declare Manga discussion welcome to this OT now. God knows y'all don't care bout the anime.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
it's the fact that Licht specifically doesn't want to hurt Gauche that interests me

also fuck the anime

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read the latest chapter. Guache's piwer is pretty cool. It is a shame about his personality.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
it's the fact that Licht specifically doesn't want to hurt Gauche that interests me

also fuck the anime
I didn't notice that.

Also yeah, fuck the anime (though it is slightly getting better).

Haven't read the latest chapter. Guache's piwer is pretty cool. It is a shame about his personality.

The nosebleeds are unfortunate cause otherwise like caliph said, I like the overprotective aspect. It's especially funny when considering how quickly Mary takes a liking to Asta.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think enough about BC that I should probs participate in this. I'm thinking there is going to be a bit of a reincarnated aspect to BC that'll show up in a bit more detail in probably this arc.

Also, I have a slight theory about the whole Guache thing.
Guache might be a demon, but not aware of it yet. If you notice with the three big demon bad guys, they're all kind of one extreme emotion. And Guache has an extreme love for his sister. And if you look at the person next to him, that person looks a little like Nozzle. What I think is that maybe the demon's might have a bit of a reincarnation aspect to them and that the "Three" big bad guys we've been knocking down aren't so much the only remaining demons, but just the only demon's they've been able to awaken. Everyone at that table might possible be a demon waiting to be "awaken"

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the big witch lady (can't remember her name) posited that the villains might be the descendants of Elves - that's what I'd suspect for Gauche as opposed to reincarnation, though those ideas aren't mutually exclusive either. His family is supposed to be nobility after all, and wouldn't it just be funny if the people the Clover Kingdom had sorta literally demonised were the bedrock for its class system?

I must admit, while Black Clover isn't what I'd call the most thorough series, it does have some kinda interesting worldbuilding under the surface. Feels a bit Dragon Age-y with stuff like humans displacing the elves.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the big witch lady (can't remember her name) posited that the villains might be the descendants of Elves - that's what I'd suspect for Gauche as opposed to reincarnation, though those ideas aren't mutually exclusive either. His family is supposed to be nobility after all, and wouldn't it just be funny if the people the Clover Kingdom had sorta literally demonised were the bedrock for its class system?

I must admit, while Black Clover isn't what I'd more the most thorough series, it does have some kinda interesting worldbuilding under the surface. Feels a bit Dragon Age-y with stuff like humans displacing the elves.

I've always stood by the Black Clover is a bit more clever in its writing then people give it credit for. That's not to say it's War and Peace or anything, but that the author has given these things at least a bit of thought.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Lol PAGE TWO HYPE!!! (Also it's funny since chapters are called pages in BC)

Also, Dedication Through Light where you at? Don't tell me you've given up on your own thread?
Too busy writing BLack Clover fanfic(s)

--

There are a lot of things I like with the anime, filling in and giving us tons of backstory is pretty nice.

Though a part of me, as often happens with all these adaptations, does usually wish we could kick it into high gear and get into the major arcs faster. (had the same problems with HeroAca and Haikyuu)).

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
So can we talk about the amazing jump in quality this series has had in the past year or so?

The Witch Forest arc was mediocre to plain bad, but suddenly the series just started being damn good as soon as they were done with the wrap up. Way better than it had been before even.