• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Yuno was pretty epic with both Mana Zones and also glad its not totally invincible. Still wonder who is reincarnated, someone totally new or someone who was in the manga's past. Need the next chapter now.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
D1UwwvlX0AATOab

Devil Summoning plot is wow, Im glad that there was some behind the scenes manipulation going on. Sad this kind of throws out one of the Nero theories I think. But still, pretty compelling way to use Yuno's pendant stone. Guess the question to ask is who and how did he get it.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
BLack Clover indeed. AstaYuno both saying they have each other and their powers perfectly augmenting each other. This chapter was so exciting.

Kind of hoping they weaken the dude and he runs away and we get kind of a pause and return to normal.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Okay Im glad everything has finally come together to focus onto one point. Having one clear cut antagonists, and having it state how a five clover grimoire forms, as well as specifying Asta's and Yuno's roles and showing their abilities, as well as Yuno showing immense concern for Asta in that one moment, was excellent.

Still think this demon dude is going to get free and we get a break or such.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Nozel continuing to be incredibly epic and making the most improvement from sstart to finish from being cold to now being the best of the Silva's and even eagles. Really epic chapter for him.

D3A6yiGWoAICONO.png

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the new OP/ED for this cours. OP song isn't immediately as hype as the past few OPs but still found it good and the visuals are hype, especially the part with the Royal Knights walking towards Mereoleona. ED is smooth as hell, I love it.

Funny to get a reminder of how bad Solid was soon after the chapter with Big Brother Nozel being a boss ("Let your own deeds be your undoing" got me way too hype).

Also, crazy that Johnny Yong Bosch is Zora in the dub. I haven't heard him in recent non-Netflix anime so I didn't even dare imagine but it's a great fit that has me very excited for his performance in key moments for the character.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the new OP/ED for this cours. OP song isn't immediately as hype as the past few OPs but still found it good and the visuals are hype, especially the part with the Royal Knights walking towards Mereoleona. ED is smooth as hell, I love it.

Funny to get a reminder of how bad Solid was soon after the chapter with Big Brother Nozel being a boss ("Let your own deeds be your undoing" got me way too hype).

Also, crazy that Johnny Yong Bosch is Zora in the dub. I haven't heard him in recent non-Netflix anime so I didn't even dare imagine but it's a great fit that has me very excited for his performance in key moments for the character.
Im glad Langris and Finral got in the ED.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
The demon being the real bad guy was expected but still feels like poor writing. It couldn't even be one of the main reincarnated "elves" but some rando named Lonne.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the Anime is getting closer and closer to the Manga now. We are about 70 Chapters behind and seeing the new OP (Black Clover only has awesome OPs, I love that) it seems like we will go full force into the Assault and Elves Arc. I guess the anime will go till the end of the current manga arc (seems like we are close to the end) and then hopefuly just go on a break without doing fillers for years like Naruto. Even though the Anime looks like shit most of the time I still enjoy it a lot.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So the Anime is getting closer and closer to the Manga now. We are about 70 Chapters behind and seeing the new OP (Black Clover only has awesome OPs, I love that) it seems like we will go full force into the Assault and Elves Arc. I guess the anime will go till the end of the current manga arc (seems like we are close to the end) and then hopefuly just go on a break without doing fillers for years like Naruto. Even though the Anime looks like shit most of the time I still enjoy it a lot.
I'm curious to see where it'll end. Six months left means it should end at some point during the arc unless they really speed through it. I really hope they do put it on a break though instead of doing what Bleach did at some point and going "we know you're excited for the resolution of this actual canon fight but here's an unrelated imaginary arc in the middle of it" (I believe it was for the Shusuke Amagai arc). Though with the fighting focus and shorter pages of the chapters this arc, maybe speeding through it is kinda feasible as you suggest.

And yeah for whatever reason I've been enjoying it a lot recently despite the visuals. (I don't even think there was a standout "holy shit this is so well animated" episode in the cours that just ended like there had been in the couple preceding ones)

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

We made it, remember when peole were like the manga was gonna be cancelled before chapter 20.

In any case, think we are definitely getting to the end of the arc, perhaps the anime can actually do all of this.

Surprised Asta said he won't forgive Patry for killing the wizard king, wonder if he will truly uphold that in the end or...

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HE FINALLY TALKED! Okay who wants to bet who he really is? I think he is the
first magic emperor

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
In before Nero was also one of the awakened elves.

Also, loved Yami and Charlotte teamwork, pretty cool.

Demon seems dumb, why not just break through the door and leave instead of fighting...

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

I assume he was speaking through Nero, maybe.

Boss this powerful, this is the break they needed to beat him. I guess ive if the one who defeated the demon in the beginning is revived, they will need the help of the others there fighting since their magic is probably not up to speed or some other random handicap.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently not following the anime for now, but had to watch today's episode for this moment.
UV0TOtP.gif

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nero is...
a) a bird with Licht's soul inside
b) a bird with the first Wizard King's soul inside
c) a regular bird

d) some demon girl with ties to the 1st WK

Did not expect that at all lol. I was convinced Nero was (or at least, related to) Licht due to the horns that I assumed were from his transformation. Looking forward to learning more about her and WK1.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
The backstory has been really compelling and I love this other side to it, as well as Licht actually seeing that he regretted doubting the prince and is giving it his all in this final last ditch effort.

Really cool to see how we've gone back to the beginning with this all.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
GADDAMN!!! GADDAMN!!!!!

What an episode today. Fantastic animation for the fights and even the talking scenes had way more energy to them and were shot and framed in way more interesting ways than usual. I didn't know we were getting another 63 style episode (though the preview hinted at it being better than average) but I like this even more than 63 because of all the great character building stuff from this episode. Hell it even managed to make Rill's teammates interesting, which reminded me that of the two of them only Ruben ends up being picked but the increased emphasis on their desire to stand out makes that result make more sense. Love the scene between Zora and Julius at the end with the ED playing. (Crazy to think Zora is one of the few to have had a proper interaction with Julius before his death.)

I hope to see more episodes like this as we get into the next arc but for now I'm really happy with what they were able to put out.

Also, not related to this ep specifically but the last two manga chapters have made me retroactively appreciate more the fact that this whole time, the intro at the start of the anime was of Lumiere vs Licht instead of a more typical "My name's Asta and this is what I'm about" because seeing it at the start of the latest sub/dub episodes with knowledge of what is actually going on re-contextualizes it in a very interesting way and Lumiere's facial expressions on the intro hit way harder now. And it's a good way to start the part of a show about a great conflict between two races based on a misunderstanding and manipulation. It's gonna be interesting to see the anime deal with that part if it ever gets there.

I saw there's a new key visual for the current arc but I doubt they could adapt it all if the anime is ending in October so I guess it might get extended again.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they really brought their A team back out for the 2nd time this arc after the previous Langris

Really loved the Asta moment watching Yuno be all epic and cool and just crying about it and being dissapointed.

Still kind of wish Tabata had like everyone leave the room and just have Asta and Yuno talk and Yuno be all like you saved your friend from Langris, and you stood your ground against Langris, so youre the real winner etc.

Anyway.
tumblr_pru4jw6DXV1r60zuio1_540.png

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the episode was amazing.

Knew going in the episode would be good could since the series director (Tatsuya Yoshihara) has been hyping it, but it still went beyond my expectation. Not only the animation but the direction was amazing as well, I believe Yoshihara directed this episode not sure but if so kudos to him since he also animated some scenes, really putting in a lot of work in this series.

Regarding the latest chapters, if I remember correctly, the first wizard king was named "wizard king" after he defeated the demon, but he turned into stone right after that, so did the people just named him king when he was "presumably" dead? That's kinda odd.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still kind of wish Tabata had like everyone leave the room and just have Asta and Yuno talk and Yuno be all like you saved your friend from Langris, and you stood your ground against Langris, so youre the real winner etc.
I like how it is, with stuff not being spelled out and Yuno just knowing Asta's worth without telling him but just being motivated when it's his turn after Asta's match and smiling when they part ways. Cause the tournament ends up being a cool gauge of how Asta and Yuno are of kinda similar level with one winning against two vice captains and the other pushing a captain to the point where the captain lost control and so despite Asta's frustration at not fighting Yuno, he ended up having a hell of a day in his own right feat-wise which motivated Yuno.

Yeah, the episode was amazing.

Knew going in the episode would be good could since the series director (Tatsuya Yoshihara) has been hyping it, but it still went beyond my expectation. Not only the animation but the direction was amazing as well, I believe Yoshihara directed this episode not sure but if so kudos to him since he also animated some scenes, really putting in a lot of work in this series.

Regarding the latest chapters, if I remember correctly, the first wizard king was named "wizard king" after he defeated the demon, but he turned into stone right after that, so did the people just named him king when he was "presumably" dead? That's kinda odd.
Yup the direction was stellar as well.

As for the WK, I guess it was a posthumous title that then set a standard of having that name for their military leader. Definitely weird and not at all what I initially thought but I think it works since the point was that he "became legend".
Edit: Hell maybe they'll even bring it up and it turns out that the "Wizard King" business is just a part of the cover up and was made to benefit from his actions to cultivate a sense of patriotism or some shit. I'd love for someone to say to Lumiere "You're the first wizard king?!" and have him be like "the fuck is that?"

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Episode was really really good. Great storyboard too and it flowed so well.

But now I am afraid that we will have soon caught up with the manga. We are just about 70 chapters behind the current manga chapter so they will either fuck the pacing up again, extend many fights or that including the next cour will be the last arc for the anime for now. I didn't like the anime at first, started reading the manga from this incoming arc on, but I will be sad if they end it after this arc, but I also don't want stupid filler arcs etc.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Black Clover 206

Holy shit how does this get better and better every week? I am way more excited about Black Clover than any other Shounen Jump manga currently. With all those things happening and the other world it really feels like the series prologue will be over after that lol

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Black Clover 206

Holy shit how does this get better and better every week? I am way more excited about Black Clover than any other Shounen Jump manga currently. With all those things happening and the other world it really feels like the series prologue will be over after that lol

This arc has been too good. It's crazy how Tabata managed to make "let's raid the Eye of the Midnight Sun's base" feel like "humble beginnings" but somehow he has and the arc just keeps ramping up in ways that I couldn't predict yet make sense and greatly strengthen the overall story and character arcs. Even just this one chapter somehow manages to give us in just 15 pages good comedy with the two kids fanboying over Lumiere, two emotional reunions (Licht's words to Patry were more impactful than I ever could've imagined cause now we know Licht easily could've been like him if not for Lumiere) and then a hype as hell team up between two OP characters. So good.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the latest anime episode after seeing the positive buzz and it was great. Might have to go back and also check out the Langris match. I like how there are two opening songs that have a name drop lol.

Would be funny if the successor to Julius is the OG wizard king.

Curious to see how this arc wraps up/where they go from here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Really loved the chapters ending since it didnt do the usual and make the protagonists just spectators but actually vital and necessary characters. Yuno there with the epic toss of Asta.

guess one or two chapters to end this.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Great chapter!

This arc or at very least these final battles, kinda feel like "final arc" stuff, so I am very curious where they will go after this.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
All these swords! But Asta's is cooler, wow at how both Asta and Yuno considered the magic to the same shape and at the same time. Probably gonna end this next chapter I think, wont be able to make the final blow, but Yami seemed to communicate that he probably might.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Devil finally down for good lol. Love the way the final attacks were handled. Yami thinking back to a conversation with Julius made it really emotional and that coupled with Charla helping him and him getting Mana Zone made that attack so satisfying. And Asta getting hyped up by Secre, surpassing his limits and making his Black Divider even bigger was so cool. Even Yuno lost his cool and was energetic for once, screaming twice as he was attacking the devil.

Asta's devil talking trash is funny.

The panels of Patry and Secre realizing that it's all finally over is very good. I had not thought much of the two of them together before this but there is an interesting parallel between them since they're both remnants of the distant past who were greatly affected by those events but saw them from different perspectives which led to them being different sides of the current conflict and having their on ideas on how to make things right.

Really looking forward to seeing the aftermath of these events. Presumably the elves who possessed humans at the beginning of this arc will just leave but what happens with Licht, Fana and Vetto who have their own artificial bodies? Will Raia stick around or give back control to his human who we don't even know about? Will William still share his body with Patry? In general I'm curious about what they're relationship to the Clover kingdom will be going forward.

Will Revchi and Gueldre just go back to prison? They seemed like they may have had big plans and they collected some stuff form the Shadow Palace but now they're just with everyone else so they can't just walk away.

Many other things I'm curious about, like of course the next Wizard King. I really hope the author takes his time with the aftermath of this arc.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
After this week's episodes, I was thinking about how I wanted a bit more of Julius and now Tabata grants my wish and brings him back. I'm not as upset as some people are about his survival and with him have time magic I can see it making sense, at least him being younger and only have 1 page makes it more interesting.

As for the arc overall I've really enjoyed, it did drag quite a while with the demon fight but I liked how it ended. I will most likely re-read this arc since there are some details I've missed or forgotten. Besides that really looking forward to where things are going after this.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow excellent ending to the arc, could have condensed a few fights as they felt like a chapter two chapters long but then we do have reduced page counts and got some cool multi page spread chapters so it balanced out in the end.

Love the cute new Julius, hope he still maintains his position.

Curious about the future organization of the kingdom now and what future arcs there will be.

Rades staying as intense as ever was great too.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a very interesting video I saw on the Julius development:

Main points in regards to the Jesus comparison are:
  • Julius wears a cross on his chest. Has a large following and is well-loved.
  • Julius suspects that he's been betrayed by his ally. Forgives said betrayal.
  • William = Judas. William is manipulated by Patry who is manipulated by the Devil, like Judas.
  • Julius "dies" for the Clover Kingdom's sins during their judgement.
  • Was buried in a cave.
  • Is resurrected.
Found that very interesting. The video makes what I think is a flaw regarding the duration of the arc, cause the sun sets when Julius fights Patry and then rises at the end when Lumiere leaves (the "golden dawn" that the elves were awaiting) so I feel like this was just an evening. But besides that, it's really solid and makes me see this revival in a whole new light. I liked it to begin with but this makes me appreciate it as well as Tabata's writing even more.

However what's most interesting and what flew over pretty much everyone's head is the symbol on Julius' forehead. Apparently, that symbol is a rune which literally means..."Life Protection".

Julius, from Day freaking 1, has been walking around with a sign that says "When you see me die, I'm coming back" on his face lmao. Can't believe it.

Even the thing about 13 years of stored time is coherent because Yami is currently 29, Julius met him when he got his grimoire at age 15 (so 14 years ago) and didn't have the rune at that point.

Posted my long ass initial thoughts on the manga thread the other day, a few hours after reading the chapter (cause that whole morning I'd been thinking hard about the chapter lol).
----------------------
Anyway, besides the Julius thing, I really liked that Rades brought back Patry because it justifies his presence in the Shadow Palace and I really didn't feel good about Patry just walking away like that without having to atone (all "happily ever after" like Rades said). Lumiere's farewell is very good as well.

After this week's episodes, I was thinking about how I wanted a bit more of Julius and now Tabata grants my wish and brings him back. I'm not as upset as some people are about his survival and with him have time magic I can see it making sense, at least him being younger and only have 1 page makes it more interesting.

As for the arc overall I've really enjoyed, it did drag quite a while with the demon fight but I liked how it ended. I will most likely re-read this arc since there are some details I've missed or forgotten. Besides that really looking forward to where things are going after this.

Surprisingly, the demon fight flowed MUCH better for me and didn't feel too long when I re-read the arc a few days after that fight ended. Same for the arc as a whole really.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I popped in here, but I'll post my thoughts on the past chapter.

Didn't expect it, but don't mind it. I feel that the consequences that would've arisen from Julius' death are still very much in play without having to actually commit to the death. It's a have your cake and eat it too situation. I've seen this moment compared to Marakov's several fake outs, but there were never any major or permanent changes in those. Marakov still stayed Guild Master, despite the constant teasing of new leadership and kept the status quo. Julius, on the other hand, is outta the game entirely for the next decade or so.

There is still a void left by Julius, so we will need a new WK. I imagine nobles will be trying to get their main dude in, so politics and infighting might become an issue. Can't imagine the Diamond Kingdom will let this opportunity slide on by either.

Do yeah, I like it. Julius is now a peer with the kids, so that'll be interesting as well.

Also, Patry somehow became my favorite character over time so I'm glad he's still kicking it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, Patry somehow became my favorite character over time so I'm glad he's still kicking it.

He's not my favorite but he's one of the characters who strongly benefited from this arc for me (Nozel being another notable one) and now I like him a lot. The story with him and William, his cult of personality for Licht and just how dirty the devil did him by taking advantage of his delusions of grandeur made him such an interesting character, much more so then when he was just "Leader of the Eye of the Midnight Sun".

His story also redeemed what seemed like one of the dumbest things about BC's first chapter when I read, which was basically "in this world, everyone gets 3-leaf clovers on their grimoires.Wait, is that?! 4 leaves?! Oh my god Yuno is so speci-Hold up...No way...this can't be...5-leaves?!!!!!". At first that just seemed like the story was desperate to one up itself from the start to hook me quickly but now it turns out the 4-5 leaf situation is very interesting and had long-term implication. And it's still interesting going forward because now Yuno is the only one with a 4-leaf and two of the four people like that got corrupted...

------------------------

Fun fact/anecdote: I was recently looking for interviews Tabata did and in this french interview, he calls all that we've been reading up until now "the first arc".

Q: Have you already thought about the end of the story?
A: I've thought about the major points, but I don't yet know exactly how Black Clover will end. However, I know that the first arc is ending soon.

This is from September 2018 and it's there that he says he wants BC to last "years like Naruto and One Piece" (which is what I was originally looking for).
It's interesting, and very surprising, to think that to him this has all been one arc. I'd thought of this as one "saga" with multiple arcs but what do I know.

Ultimately, the actual term used doesn't matter as much as the confirmation of this being the "first" part, which given its size lends credence to the idea that this is meant to run for a while. If I were to guess what the next parts would be, I'd say:
Arc 2: Diamond/Heart/Spade Kingdom
Arc 3: The gods come into play

I don't think each of the other kingdoms would get arcs the size of the Clover/Elf Revenge story but maybe I'm wrong. Feels like anything is possible at this point.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
is this the true translation or, i remember there was another translation that left me pretty baffled
Well it's the best translation I can give you as a native speaker...and also the word "arc" can be used in the same way in French as it is in English in regards to story structure and it literally says "le premier arc".

Though the word itself doesn't matter much, just that the author only sees this as the first "part" of the big story.

Last edited: