• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
I think it should get there, unless they decided to give us an original arc. If they do then I think we will definitely get a year two BLack Clover anime.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it should get there, unless they decided to give us an original arc. If they do then I think we will definitely get a year two BLack Clover anime.

I hope you're right. I've said this before but this adaptation desperately needs the word of mouth that the Seabed Temple can give it, especially if the fight with Despair is as well-produced as the better Pierrot fights are. (God imagine if the guy who did Kakashi vs Obito and Naruto vs Sasuke does it)

Oct 28, 2017
The TV Broadcast is planned for 50 episodes right now. It's depressing that I have to say this but with the rate at which it has been going, we can't even be sure it'll reach Chapter 70 (which is the end of the Water Temple arc).
That´s what i wanted to know actually. That arc could pull many people into the manga.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So I had to jump over to the manga because I feel like there was a lot that the anime was scratching at the surface and boy did I not expect that pace change switching to the manga. All caught up now and I want so much more. I looooove how the manga doesn't dick around with pacing. From memory, was the hotspring the only filler? Even that at least had skill development.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I had to jump over to the manga because I feel like there was a lot that the anime was scratching at the surface and boy did I not expect that pace change switching to the manga. All caught up now and I want so much more. I looooove how the manga doesn't dick around with pacing. From memory, was the hotspring the only filler? Even that at least had skill development.

Nice to have another manga reader. When your used to Shonen Manga, the BC manga will seem very fast but if you start reading after the extremely slow paced anime then it seems extremely fast in that regard (funny how the manga is paced faster than most and the anime is the opposite). The quick pace of the manga is definitely refreshing and arcs get to the heart of the matter pretty quick. Hot Springs is the only thing that's kind filler-ish but reading it all at once helps, as does the fact that their hot springs is a fucking volcano and it serves as Mereoleona's introduction. What's your favorite arc now that you're caught up?

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to see Henry and the base move in the anime (praying for a 2nd year). Interesting that he did manage to prevent the intruder from getting the gem in Asta's room.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get to see Henry and the base move in the anime (praying for a 2nd year). Interesting that he did manage to prevent the intruder from getting the gem in Asta's room.

I had forgotten about that gem before reading this chapter. That's the one the bird Nero got from the village in the beginning right? It's weird they didn't hand that over to Yami.

Also, I hope we get a second year to cause the content of that season would be much better. And they could adapt that light novel so that we know who the hell those people are.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
This mech hideout is pretty cool.

lol at Yami's it would be weird to live here if you died line

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of why I love Yami. He's the antithesis to dramatic backstories with how he just cuts people off to let them know ahead of time that he doesn't really care.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Nice to have another manga reader. When your used to Shonen Manga, the BC manga will seem very fast but if you start reading after the extremely slow paced anime then it seems extremely fast in that regard (funny how the manga is paced faster than most and the anime is the opposite). The quick pace of the manga is definitely refreshing and arcs get to the heart of the matter pretty quick. Hot Springs is the only thing that's kind filler-ish but reading it all at once helps, as does the fact that their hot springs is a fucking volcano and it serves as Mereoleona's introduction. What's your favorite arc now that you're caught up?

Hot spring definitely isn't bad filler and yeah it still has some good utility.

Looking back at this point I think the dungeon arc and witch forrest arcs gotta be best for me. Turning of the golden noble personality, the sylph, the second sword. So many good moments. Intro of lotus and Marth. Loved it. For witches, loved the followup on Marth, super evilness of the queen, Destiny cat, nine tails moment, fana. Tons of good moments there as well. Plus the bonus transformations of the bulls after that arc.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of why I love Yami. He's the antithesis to dramatic backstories with how he just cuts people off to let them know ahead of time that he doesn't really care.

Yeah Yami's carefree attitude is fantastic. A character can tell him the most tragic thing and he'll just be thinking about how he needs to go take a shit then when that character gets offended Yami can just be like "whatever man surpass your limits"

Hot spring definitely isn't bad filler and yeah it still has some good utility.

Looking back at this point I think the dungeon arc and witch forrest arcs gotta be best for me. Turning of the golden noble personality, the sylph, the second sword. So many good moments. Intro of lotus and Marth. Loved it. For witches, loved the followup on Marth, super evilness of the queen, Destiny cat, nine tails moment, fana. Tons of good moments there as well. Plus the bonus transformations of the bulls after that arc.

Solid choices! I really liked the Witch arc because of the big ass team fights at the end (big ass team fights are my number one reason for liking this series tbh). And Mars is a cool character.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Ep 15

Seems to have covered two chapters at my quick count. Luck is still really good, maybe its cause his voice actor is really making him shine plus he has a cute design and cool powers.

Klaus is almost really annoying at times, no wonder Yuno typically ignores him. I loved how Klaus was consistently getting flustered though, really awesome comedy.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ep 15

Seems to have covered two chapters at my quick count. Luck is still really good, maybe its cause his voice actor is really making him shine plus he has a cute design and cool powers.

Klaus is almost really annoying at times, no wonder Yuno typically ignores him. I loved how Klaus was consistently getting flustered though, really awesome comedy.

Two chapters? I'm pleasantly surprised. This episode was pretty enjoyable. I definitely like Luck's voice actor a lot, and I'm looking forward to the dub getting to this episode in two weeks to see how Justin Briner does this. And this episode reminded me how much I love Luck.

Klaus is interesting to see here again because he does become a lot more likeable when once he joins the Asta fan-club. I love Klaus now and hated him in the beginning of the Dungeon arc.

Well the Luck Vs Lotus fight wasn't greatly animated

No it was not...Hoping Pierrot comes through for the big fights cause that's one aspect where they often deliver in their shows.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
If we get to the Witch Arc in the anime, I hope someone get's the idea to have the Fate Cat actually unravel everything when it changes the outcome of things. That would have been a fantastic visual to show the Cat's powers taking effect.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we get to the Witch Arc in the anime, I hope someone get's the idea to have the Fate Cat actually unravel everything when it changes the outcome of things. That would have been a fantastic visual to show the Cat's powers taking effect.

I completely forgot about Fate Cat lol. I don't think the anime's getting there on this run though since we can't even be sure if it'll reach the Seabed Temple. But yeah they could probably make something that looks really cool out of that.

I should really re-read that arc. Don't remember much of it compared to the rest.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about Fate Cat lol. I don't think the anime's getting there on this run though since we can't even be sure if it'll reach the Seabed Temple. But yeah they could probably make something that looks really cool out of that.

I should really re-read that arc. Don't remember much of it compared to the rest.

I did a re-read of it earlier in the month. It's not as bad as I remember. I still think it's the weakest arc in the series, but the pacing was better altogether than reading it week after week. The Witch Queen is actually an interesting character that I hope comes back into play. I'm interested in her history.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did a re-read of it earlier in the month. It's not as bad as I remember. I still think it's the weakest arc in the series, but the pacing was better altogether than reading it week after week. The Witch Queen is actually an interesting character that I hope comes back into play. I'm interested in her history.

Yeah Witch Queen was cool. It was nice seeing someone like that that's really powerful and not affiliated with any of the major nations. Makes the world of BC more interesting and her potential role in a future big conflict is something I'm looking forward to seeing.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man what a fucking chapter!

This chapter is pretty much everything I love about Black Clover. It had cool, varied powers, great art and TEAM FIGHTS!!! Everybody's useful. Everybody's relevant. This was too good. And I love Henry already!

That dark item stuff was BS though. But at least it led to a cool combination of powers.

Looking forward to going back to the Raid next week. (Well maybe there's still one more chapter for this base thing)

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
The writer had fun with this miniarc, who would have thought the base would be used in this capacity, when all it was before was just thought to be one of the many other random zany things about the black bulls. Awesome. And I guess he can make him as powerful as he wants since he has the limitation of a weak constitution and not being able to leave the base.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The writer had fun with this miniarc, who would have thought the base would be used in this capacity, when all it was before was just thought to be one of the many other random zany things about the black bulls. Awesome. And I guess he can make him as powerful as he wants since he has the limitation of a weak constitution and not being able to leave the base.

Yeah, Mecha-Base is just too good.
I do wonder how Henry will play into future arcs though. Can't really have the base be attacked every 20 chapters (or can you?) so he'll probably have some way to assist outside the base that doesn't involve him leaving. Or maybe he'll be able to leave but not use his full strength and have to be nearby the Black Bulls.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
The friendship thing in todays episode was actually a nice parallel even especially more so with Kid asta narrating it over and then Yuno and Asta making the same declaration. They will always have an awesome and really deep bond.

Cool teamwork.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Mecha-Base is just too good.
I do wonder how Henry will play into future arcs though. Can't really have the base be attacked every 20 chapters (or can you?) so he'll probably have some way to assist outside the base that doesn't involve him leaving. Or maybe he'll be able to leave but not use his full strength and have to be nearby the Black Bulls.

The base will have wheels and become a mobile tank. At least, that was my immediate thought.

Or Finral will just keep teleporting the base whenever Henry's needed.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The friendship thing in todays episode was actually a nice parallel even especially more so with Kid asta narrating it over and then Yuno and Asta making the same declaration. They will always have an awesome and really deep bond.

Cool teamwork.

Yeah I really liked that part as well.

The base will have wheels and become a mobile tank. At least, that was my immediate thought.

Or Finral will just keep teleporting the base whenever Henry's needed.

If the base is a mobile tank with wheels that cool but it'll destroy everything in its path lol (well the Bulls do that already anyway)

Also, DTL can you post about the OT in this thread? https://www.resetera.com/threads/community-ot-list.3561/
I don't know if newcomers actually check that thread to see what OTs there are but whatever, might as well be on there

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping Finral is part whatever's crew is in the next arc (which I have no idea it'd be about anyway). Love him too much, especially after the tournament arc.

Finral probably needs a power boost (or some temporary boost), I thought he kind of tires easily.

He'll probably go through some INTENSE training when he recovers because of losing to his brother and his newfound determination to make the BBs the best squad.

Finral is about to ANNIHILATE THE LIMITS!!!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'd rather we just get the typical arena fighting game.
Wonder how much material this is supposed to cover. Anime barely has anything so they're probably just gonna go for what's been in the manga. If there's no "destroy the enemy team's crystal" mode then they don't get it.

Also, for some reason the people in the comments are saying this is what Shinobi Strikers should look like and I haven't looked at that game in a while but that's pretty depressing.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks grerat and Id agree with the SHinobi Strikers commentors, Shinobi Strikes looks fun and it could be even more awesome if it had as much stuff going on as this video of Quartet Knights has.

I think thats would makes this game look so impressive to me is that in this video so much is going on that feels as actiony as a shooter though with magic, so it feels different and ends up being refreshing. Graphics could use a boost though, but otherwise would get. I assume theyd price it 39.99

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks grerat and Id agree with the SHinobi Strikers commentors, Shinobi Strikes looks fun and it could be even more awesome if it had as much stuff going on as this video of Quartet Knights has.

I think thats would makes this game look so impressive to me is that in this video so much is going on that feels as actiony as a shooter though with magic, so it feels different and ends up being refreshing. Graphics could use a boost though, but otherwise would get. I assume theyd price it 39.99

Yeah if the graphics and overall visual direction were stronger I'd be way more into this. I doubt they'd price it at $60 with how it's looking and with the seemingly small fanbase that BC has outside Japan.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather we just get the typical arena fighting game.
Wonder how much material this is supposed to cover. Anime barely has anything so they're probably just gonna go for what's been in the manga. If there's no "destroy the enemy team's crystal" mode then they don't get it.

Also, for some reason the people in the comments are saying this is what Shinobi Strikers should look like and I haven't looked at that game in a while but that's pretty depressing.

Yuno is using his bow which, if I recall correctly, appeared after Asta broke his arm against Vetto, so hopefully it goes up to there.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
This looks good and better than I expected, might actually consider getting it, for the right price. While I hope it's 39.99, considering that Seven Deadly Sins is $60 and I believe LWA launched in Japan at full price(i might be wrong) I really doubt it.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
Oh cool, didn't realize there was a thread for this series on here. After watching the first couple episodes of the dub on Toonami, I was intrigued by the concept but impatient with the pace so I checked out the manga and devoured it within just a few days....Think that's the fastest I've torn through a series. The pacing of the manga is a large factor, it's such a quick read and there's usually only a chapter or two in between progressive story arcs. It's kind of refreshing and makes it easy to be drawn in. It's a shame the folks in the Toonami thread are shitting on it based on the dub portrayal and pacing so far. They instantly wrote off the Black Bull characters from the first impression when any anime/manga fan should assume there are more layers to a person and the first impression isn't the whole story not to mention there tends to be growth from interactions and experiences with the other characters.

Anyway, what I've really enjoyed about this series is how the cast grows together and while Asta and Yuno are obviously becoming powerhouses, the supporting cast tends to get powerups of their own around the same pace so that they're never relegated to irrelevance and can always contribute in some way. In fact, the series goes above and beyond this with constant team battles where support units are contributing in a big way while most other shounen series simply have the other characters provide an emotional boost or inspiration to the main character so that they can overcome every obstacle on their own. The power of friendship and emotional inspiration is found in BC too, but it's great that the supporting cast does much more than that and participates to the degree friends would in supporting one another. It's particularly nice seeing the cast grow together after suffering the main two characters do everything syndrome from Dragonball and Naruto Shippuden (yes I know the ToP arc in Super is a pleasant exception in this regard for the most part).

The fights are very entertaining as they incorporate a healthy dose of strategy beyond the "epic" fare. Whether that be in devising a plan on how to mesh the skills between three people to coordinate an effective attack against a strong opponent, figuring out what element to use to counteract the magic of an opponent, or Asta determining the best approach to a unique situation using his skillset. There are a number of fights I can't wait to see animated.

I also really dig the concept of a character lacking any magic in a world where it comes so naturally to all others and he alone has the unique circumstances to wield the black clover grimoire and the swords it provides. I too agree that Asta and Yuno's parentage likely lies with the powerful demon and elves, respectively. I also consider the possibility that the endgame will reveal that Yuno is royalty because a clean solution to both Asta and Yuno desiring to be king could be Yuno becoming the nation's King while Asta becomes the Wizard King. Granted, Yuno desires the Wizard King position in particular but his character could grow to desire change for the nation and feeling responsibilities for all its denizens. He certainly has the magic power of the nobles so why not royalty? I know it's way too early to predict such things but it's fun to think about.

I've also enjoyed the arcs where the supporting cast gets fleshed out. Like some, I wondered if Vanessa would be a Cana clone from Fairy Tail but was pleasantly surprised with her growth in the Witch Forest arc. Each time a character's past is revealed to us, they become more sympathetic and I appreciate them more. Let's hope Final gets satisfying treatment as he works to catchup to his brother in strength. I bet he'll be damn motivated when he's healed up. I also appreciate that Yuno didn't go full Sasuke and still holds an affinity for Asta. While discussing characters, the last chapters revealed Henry and it was pretty cool because he was actually teased a couple times earlier. I'm too lazy to look it up but I remember there being a couple panels earlier on in the manga where he'd be in the background at the Black Bull castle and have his back turned but you can make out his distinguishable bushy long hair. I'm going to keep an eye out for the anime and see if I can notice him anytime it's at the castle. His ability is interesting and certainly unique and between that and finally seeing Gordon's magic plus what Grey can do has actually made the home stand-off interesting despite the other characters being involved in a high stakes raid. Speaking of the raid, good lord is Ms. Vermillion a freaking beast! Just when you start thinking Yami is secretly the strongest captain this woman comes along like a hurricane. I thought it was mostly a gag until the raid but she is absolutely wrecking Liar. All that hype and when we finally see him show his stuff it's completely ineffective ;p His abilities are pretty nice though, he'd have been a tough opponent for many others.

As for the discussion above on where the story could go after Licht's crew is dealt with (including him), Licht isn't the actual leader. He leads the eye members we've seen thus far, sure but there was a chapter where Licht referred to a leader above himself. He didn't provide a name, however. Wish I could remember what chapter that was. In any case, there's someone pulling the strings from higher up. If that's meant to be the endgame, the mangaka could always come up with other groups like Licht's that serve this leader that the knights have to deal with. There is also, of course, the Diamond realm where Mars could ask for Asta's help which could easily become a large arc as they deal with all the Diamond equivalents of the Clover captains. I wonder if this week's chapter will resolve the battle at the base or if we have a couple more chapters before going back to the raid?

Oh, and one other element that serves as an argument against the volcano arc being filler, the magic skin technique or whatever they called it that they used to endure the heat actually served applications outside of that arc. In particular, the powerful move Yuno used against Lil in the tournament. I want to say Magna used it against the snow magic lady knight in the tournament as well to endure her spell protecting the egg. I believe I've rambled on long enough for now but yeah, I'm digging this series. Hopefully, as the characters are fleshed out and a more serious arc gets going, more people will get into it and some minds in that Toonami thread here will change ;)

Oct 25, 2017
The characters in Black Clover are one I've seen debated quite a bit, but honestly, I really like all the Black Bulls compared to stuff like MHA and Fairy Tail. Obviously, MHA has a lot more complex characters, but because of the relatively small cast of BC, we've gotten way more character development from them across the board and I end up like the cast as a whole a lot more. Sure they're all relatively simple character arcs and MHA has way more complex characters than anyone in BC, but I think the weakest character in the Black Bulls is a lot better than the weakest character in Class 1-A.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
NEW MEMBER HYPE!
tiLhbPl.gif

Squall ASF WELCOME! You have no idea how much of a pleasure it was reading through your post.

Oh cool, didn't realize there was a thread for this series on here. After watching the first couple episodes of the dub on Toonami, I was intrigued by the concept but impatient with the pace so I checked out the manga and devoured it within just a few days....Think that's the fastest I've torn through a series. The pacing of the manga is a large factor, it's such a quick read and there's usually only a chapter or two in between progressive story arcs. It's kind of refreshing and makes it easy to be drawn in. It's a shame the folks in the Toonami thread are shitting on it based on the dub portrayal and pacing so far. They instantly wrote off the Black Bull characters from the first impression when any anime/manga fan should assume there are more layers to a person and the first impression isn't the whole story not to mention there tends to be growth from interactions and experiences with the other characters.

The manga's quick pace is one of the best things about it. It's really refreshing to see a Shonen series that moves this fast and yet I still feel like it gives each arc enough time to make you care about what is at stake and whoever is being introduced. I got into it this summer and I think that I read 3 chapters one day, 3 more the next and then the following day (either a Saturday or a Sunday) I somehow read 100 chapters. I blazed through so much of it that by the end of the day I was like "wait, just how many arcs have I been through today" lol.
It is a shame that people around the site are shitting on BC but I can't really blame them. The anime adaptation brought this upon itself with its extremely slow pacing (which is slower than modern Shonen anime adaptations and contrary to the BC's manga that has a pacing faster than other series). Hopefully in time the anime adaptation can garner some positive buzz once it gets to the really good arcs that are coming up and people can give it and/or the manga another chance.

Anyway, what I've really enjoyed about this series is how the cast grows together and while Asta and Yuno are obviously becoming powerhouses, the supporting cast tends to get powerups of their own around the same pace so that they're never relegated to irrelevance and can always contribute in some way. In fact, the series goes above and beyond this with constant team battles where support units are contributing in a big way while most other shounen series simply have the other characters provide an emotional boost or inspiration to the main character so that they can overcome every obstacle on their own. The power of friendship and emotional inspiration is found in BC too, but it's great that the supporting cast does much more than that and participates to the degree friends would in supporting one another. It's particularly nice seeing the cast grow together after suffering the main two characters do everything syndrome from Dragonball and Naruto Shippuden (yes I know the ToP arc in Super is a pleasant exception in this regard for the most part).

YES!!!
Black Clover handles its supporting cast exceptionally well and everyone is kept relevant and useful. The constant TEAM BATTLES are always a treat and when BC gets into typical Shonen Power of Friendship BS, at least you buy it here because every one significantly contributes to something. Best example is the Despair fight where you have both people inspiring determination into the people around them (which culminates in the fantastic panel with Asta asking Despair if he had managed to make a single one of them lose hope and it shows all the points where the various participants in the fight basically said "fuck you" to Despair) AND you have people cooperating with each other and using on-the-fly tactics to defeat this guy who is way stronger than any of them is. Even the recent chapters with the base being attacked were great about this because you get to see members cooperating but Asta isn't even there and instead you get Gauche leading the fight and inspiring his teammates as a result of the influence that Asta had on him previously.

There are a number of fights I can't wait to see animated.

Despair fight is number one for me. With how slowly the adaptation is going, we probably won't get to it this run but if we ever do and Pierrot works their magic like they do in big fights then that fight really has the potential to make people turn around on BC and give it a significant popularity boost. I read that fight over and over and over again and I simply can't get sick of it so I cannot wait for the day we get to see it animated.

I also consider the possibility that the endgame will reveal that Yuno is royalty because a clean solution to both Asta and Yuno desiring to be king could be Yuno becoming the nation's King while Asta becomes the Wizard King.

I never thought about them potentially splitting it up this way but with Yuno most likely being a royal descent that would be really cool. I think there is a point where someone talks about Fuegoleon (or maybe another mage with royal blood) and how he could become the true King by being both Wizard King and the nation's King but considering Asta and Yuno grew up together and are really close, them occupying those spots would have a similar effect.

I've also enjoyed the arcs where the supporting cast gets fleshed out. Like some, I wondered if Vanessa would be a Cana clone from Fairy Tail but was pleasantly surprised with her growth in the Witch Forest arc. Each time a character's past is revealed to us, they become more sympathetic and I appreciate them more. Let's hope Final gets satisfying treatment as he works to catchup to his brother in strength. I bet he'll be damn motivated when he's healed up. I also appreciate that Yuno didn't go full Sasuke and still holds an affinity for Asta. While discussing characters, the last chapters revealed Henry and it was pretty cool because he was actually teased a couple times earlier. I'm too lazy to look it up but I remember there being a couple panels earlier on in the manga where he'd be in the background at the Black Bull castle and have his back turned but you can make out his distinguishable bushy long hair. I'm going to keep an eye out for the anime and see if I can notice him anytime it's at the castle. His ability is interesting and certainly unique and between that and finally seeing Gordon's magic plus what Grey can do has actually made the home stand-off interesting despite the other characters being involved in a high stakes raid. Speaking of the raid, good lord is Ms. Vermillion a freaking beast! Just when you start thinking Yami is secretly the strongest captain this woman comes along like a hurricane. I thought it was mostly a gag until the raid but she is absolutely wrecking Liar. All that hype and when we finally see him show his stuff it's completely ineffective ;p His abilities are pretty nice though, he'd have been a tough opponent for many others.

Vanessa is great! She really did come off as a Cana clone at first but I started liking her a lot due to her contribution in the Despair fight and the Witch Forest arc that came right after made me like her even more. I also hope Finral gets some nice growth but I think we'll be happy. He started off as someone who seemed pretty aimless but after being progressively influenced by Asta and after he stated in the tournament that his goal was to make to Bulls into the strongest Squad, I'm sure we'll get some nice stuff for Finral very soon.
And now that you mention it, I do recall seeing Henry's hair before his introduction this arc. I'll have to keep an eye out in the anime as well.
Mereoleona is too good! It's crazy cause she wasn't even the captain of her squad and just took the role because her brother was incapacitated. And her wrecking Liar is cool because it shows that the power scaling is coherent. She's captain-class and can go up against a Third Eye by herself, whereas it took so many participants in the fights with the other two Third Eye members to take care of those. It really makes you look forward to the growth of the younger mages in the series while keeping some room for the power levels to grow reasonably because if we get people that are stronger than the Third Eye, then we could realistically see multiple captain-class mages go up against them (either mages that are currently at that level like Yami/Mereoleona or the younger mages who'll reach that level one day like Asta/Noelle).

As for the discussion above on where the story could go after Licht's crew is dealt with (including him), Licht isn't the actual leader. He leads the eye members we've seen thus far, sure but there was a chapter where Licht referred to a leader above himself. He didn't provide a name, however. Wish I could remember what chapter that was. In any case, there's someone pulling the strings from higher up. If that's meant to be the endgame, the mangaka could always come up with other groups like Licht's that serve this leader that the knights have to deal with. There is also, of course, the Diamond realm where Mars could ask for Asta's help which could easily become a large arc as they deal with all the Diamond equivalents of the Clover captains. I wonder if this week's chapter will resolve the battle at the base or if we have a couple more chapters before going back to the raid?

Nice to have this perspective as it is still fresh for you. Licht not being the leader is definitely something I forgot so it's nice to know we still have interesting places the story could go in.
I really want a Diamond Kingdom Infiltration arc with Mars calling upon Asta. I always love seeing completely new locales in Shonen series and the BC author could make going into the Diamond Kingdom very interesting, kinda like when we get to a new island in One Piece. (and "Diamond Kingdom" already sounds like a cool arc name)

Phew, man your post made me happy! Looking forward to discussing weekly chapters with you!

Also, may I have your permission to part of your post in another OT? I'm the resident Black Clover evangelist of the One Piece board and I want to show them what it looks like when someone gives BC a chance.

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't checked out MHA but a buddy of mine is always trying to get me to so I possibly will in the near future.

NEW MEMBER HYPE!
tiLhbPl.gif

Squall ASF WELCOME! You have no idea how much of a pleasure it was reading through your post.

The manga's quick pace is one of the best things about it. It's really refreshing to see a Shonen series that moves this fast and yet I still feel like it gives each arc enough time to make you care about what is at stake and whoever is being introduced. I got into it this summer and I think that I read 3 chapters one day, 3 more the next and then the following day (either a Saturday or a Sunday) I somehow read 100 chapters. I blazed through so much of it that by the end of the day I was like "wait, just how many arcs have I been through today" lol.
It is a shame that people around the site are shitting on BC but I can't really blame them. The anime adaptation brought this upon itself with its extremely slow pacing (which is slower than modern Shonen anime adaptations and contrary to the BC's manga that has a pacing faster than other series). Hopefully, in time the anime adaptation can garner some positive buzz once it gets to the really good arcs that are coming up and people can give it and/or the manga another chance.

YES!!!
Black Clover handles its supporting cast exceptionally well and everyone is kept relevant and useful. The constant TEAM BATTLES are always a treat and when BC gets into typical Shonen Power of Friendship BS, at least you buy it here because every one significantly contributes to something. Best example is the Despair fight where you have both people inspiring determination into the people around them (which culminates in the fantastic panel with Asta asking Despair if he had managed to make a single one of them lose hope and it shows all the points where the various participants in the fight basically said "fuck you" to Despair) AND you have people cooperating with each other and using on-the-fly tactics to defeat this guy who is way stronger than any of them is. Even the recent chapters with the base being attacked were great about this because you get to see members cooperating but Asta isn't even there and instead, you get Gauche leading the fight and inspiring his teammates as a result of the influence that Asta had on him previously.

Despair fight is number one for me. With how slowly the adaptation is going, we probably won't get to it this run but if we ever do and Pierrot works their magic like they do in big fights then that fight really has the potential to make people turn around on BC and give it a significant popularity boost. I read that fight over and over and over again and I simply can't get sick of it so I cannot wait for the day we get to see it animated.

I never thought about them potentially splitting it up this way but with Yuno most likely being a royal descent that would be really cool. I think there is a point where someone talks about Fuegoleon (or maybe another mage with royal blood) and how he could become the true King by being both Wizard King and the nation's King but considering Asta and Yuno grew up together and are really close, them occupying those spots would have a similar effect.

Vanessa is great! She really did come off as a Cana clone at first but I started liking her a lot due to her contribution in the Despair fight and the Witch Forest arc that came right after made me like her even more. I also hope Finral gets some nice growth but I think we'll be happy. He started off as someone who seemed pretty aimless but after being progressively influenced by Asta and after he stated in the tournament that his goal was to make to Bulls into the strongest Squad, I'm sure we'll get some nice stuff for Finral very soon.
And now that you mention it, I do recall seeing Henry's hair before his introduction this arc. I'll have to keep an eye out for the anime as well.
Mereoleona is too good! It's crazy cause she wasn't even the captain of her squad and just took the role because her brother was incapacitated. And her wrecking Liar is cool because it shows that the power scaling is coherent. She's captain-class and can go up against a Third Eye by herself, whereas it took so many participants in the fights with the other two Third Eye members to take care of those. It really makes you look forward to the growth of the younger mages in the series while keeping some room for the power levels to grow reasonably because if we get people that are stronger than the Third Eye, then we could realistically see multiple captain-class mages go up against them (either mages that are currently at that level like Yami/Mereoleona or the younger mages who'll reach that level one day like Asta/Noelle).

Nice to have this perspective as it is still fresh for you. Licht not being the leader is definitely something I forgot so it's nice to know we still have interesting places the story could go in.
I really want a Diamond Kingdom Infiltration arc with Mars calling upon Asta. I always love seeing completely new locales in Shonen series and the BC author could make going into the Diamond Kingdom very interesting, kinda like when we get to a new island in One Piece. (and "Diamond Kingdom" already sounds like a cool arc name)

Phew, man your post made me happy! Looking forward to discussing weekly chapters with you!

Also, may I have your permission to part of your post in another OT? I'm the resident Black Clover evangelist of the One Piece board and I want to show them what it looks like when someone gives BC a chance.
lol, thanks! I don't know how to quote by paragraphs as you did so I'll just settle for separating responses.

Yeah, it's going to require reaching a good arc that displays what the series actually is and what it could be to get more people hooked. It's difficult to convince them to give it a chance with the current pacing of the anime and how the characters are initially portrayed before you get to know them better. Not that their initial impression rubs everyone the wrong way but certainly a fair few if the Toonami thread was anything to go off of.

Yessir, the power of friendship shtick made me roll my eyes in Fairy Tail but as you stated, it feels more natural and earned in BC. The fight against Despair is probably my favorite fight in the series thus far and the prime example of one I look forward to seeing animated. You pretty much covered the finer points of it displaying exemplary teamwork that also allowed support characters to step into the lime light and gain the confidence they needed to participate in the more dangerous battles which are a very important point to make because it suggests that the strongest opponents won't be automatically relegated to Asta, Yuno, or a captain to deal with on their own. Moreover, Asta wouldn't have had a chance in hell without BOTH Finral and Vanessa's help, they were as essential as he was in defeating as you stated, a far stronger adversary and boy is it exponentially more satisfying and plausible for a foe like Despair to be defeated by strategic, intelligent teamwork rather than Asta getting an ass-pull powerup out of nowhere like lesser Shounen have been known to do. I'm right on board with you feeling that the teamwork shown in many of the fights are one of the greater highlights in the series that make it worth reading/watching. This series could have easily settled for a protagonist that just overpowers his foes with mighty swings of giant swords while other characters blow everything up with flashy spells without any other substance or nuance to the fights but thankfully the battles are well thought out where even the characters profiled as brawn think things through on the battlefield.

Yes, number one fight! That will indeed be a missed opportunity if they can't reach this fight in the first season's running. They need a starling example of the reason haters should go back and give the show a chance and something to look forward to for the next season. It likely would get more to read the manga to see what happens next as we did as well.

You might be right concerning another character being mentioned as potential royal bloodline or perhaps it was a fan theory. It's honestly too early to be worried about that just yet but it's not too early to speculate on their parents and that kind ties into this theory so crazy theories I'll ponder ;p

You're right, the first sign of their being more to her was during the Despair fight, the Witch Forest arc is what further fleshed her out. She definitely exhibited another more serious and supportive side to her during the fight against Despair. I want to say she sparked Finral too (aside from Asta's inspiration) into thinking he could contribute and that they had a shot at winning but it may have been the other way around, I don't quite recall hehe Oh yeah, I have no doubts that we'll get more character development from Finral soon. They are already on the fast track to becoming the greatest guild considering they in actuality already are. If not for the -50 star deficit, to begin with, the BB would have been ahead of the GD. I expect BB to be ahead come the next evaluation although I wonder how the Royal Knights will impact this because it's not only taking guild time away from the Royal Knight members, but the type of missions that the Royal Knights are taking on where a large source of the starts earned by BB and GD last time around. I guess they'll have to do blue collar missions now like the other guilds :p

Marleona was retired, wasn't she? She made it sound as though that was the case and why her brother was leading the guild. It's clear who the stronger of the two are haha Indeed, the stronger captains should be expected to fight well against the White Eyes members. Yami handled their leader himself in the first round though that was largely due to him being a good matchup up element-wise with Licht. I don't think simply being strong would have cut it fighting Licht solo. There will definitely be stronger foes as I don't see the series ending anytime soon. Certainly not without a large time-skip.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain he made a comment that there was a boss, I remember taking a moment to visualize someone pulling the strings above Licht and speculating who it could be thought it's likely someone we just haven't been introduced to yet. If it is someone we've been introduced to, it's either the so obvious it must be a red herring William Vengeance, or the more likely prospect, perhaps a great demon. If the latter, it might still be banished and the point of collecting the gems for the special tablet is to resurrect it/bring it back to this world. I'm getting ahead of myself again though haha

Now that you mention it, traveling to the Diamond Kingdom would indeed feel like a new island being reached in One Piece. A contained arc in a new region but one that can still easily have implications for what happens later especially in the form of obtaining new comrades in the Diamond Kingdom like Mars. I would think this arc will happen eventually.

Thanks, buddy! It will likewise be fun to have someone to discuss chapters and theories with for my part as well :) Certainly, you can use my post in the other thread if you think it will help. Is the OP thread crapping on this series too? haha If it helps with my credibility, tell them it's from someone that reads One Piece as well ;p Speaking of which, a new chapter for both these series tomorrow! Hiatus x Hiatus coming in a few days too :D Or was that next weekend? Either way, soon!

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Well then, that was unexpected. It's like, it was obvious, but there was enough reasonable doubt. And now we know why, they are still two different people, but they share the same vessel, like Fana did with The Hatred. I wonder how this happened and what it means for everyone else Licht has his eyes on.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So Vengeance is a bastard and the White night eye or at least some if them are apparently descendants of elves since they can use the magic stones

plus Gauche we know is important and looks like one of the elves plus Finral brother looks like be was possessed plus the WIZARD KING thinks some are unconsciously working for the White night eye

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man this fucking chapter! There was clearly something being set up with Vengeance but I didn't expect him to be a shapeshifter, more like someone working undercover for a long time to gain the WK's trust.
What was it that they got though? I assume they're talking about the crystal in Asta's room that Nero picked up way back in the beginning but I thought that it was protected when Henry was shifting the base around.

Well then, that was unexpected. It's like, it was obvious, but there was enough reasonable doubt. And now we know why, they are still two different people, but they share the same vessel, like Fana did with The Hatred. I wonder how this happened and what it means for everyone else Licht has his eyes on.

Ooh vessel makes sense. Still wonder what happens next though. If one of them loves the Clover Kingdom and the other one hates it, who decides what they'll do? Hell, I can't imagine that Vengeance will be able to go back to his squad after this so he probably switched to Licht cause he plans on fighting the WK. I guess Light Magic vs Time Control Magic will make for a cool fight, probably the one on the highest scale in the series so far.

And if Vengeance leaves and presumably takes Langris with him (since I assume what was implied is that it's the Licht-personality that cultivated the hatred in Langris and not Vengeance), who leads Golden Dawn?...Klaus?...Rising Rookie Hotshot Yuno?
(kinda pissed that they didn't show Mimosa when Vengeance was talking about Golden Dawn)

And yeah what's gonna happen with Gauche too?

Marleona was retired, wasn't she? She made it sound as though that was the case and why her brother was leading the guild. It's clear who the stronger of the two are haha Indeed, the stronger captains should be expected to fight well against the White Eyes members. Yami handled their leader himself in the first round though that was largely due to him being a good matchup up element-wise with Licht. I don't think simply being strong would have cut it fighting Licht solo. There will definitely be stronger foes as I don't see the series ending anytime soon. Certainly not without a large time-skip.
I don't know if she was retired. Might've been though. I think there's a part where they say she doesn't like the Royal Capital and thus spends most of her time in the wilderness or something so maybe that's why she wasn't captain at first.

Thanks, buddy! It will likewise be fun to have someone to discuss chapters and theories with for my part as well :) Certainly, you can use my post in the other thread if you think it will help. Is the OP thread crapping on this series too? haha If it helps with my credibility, tell them it's from someone that reads One Piece as well ;p Speaking of which, a new chapter for both these series tomorrow! Hiatus x Hiatus coming in a few days too :D Or was that next weekend? Either way, soon!

OP thread isn't really crapping on it lol. Just more like unaffected by my praise of BC lol. I've made my peace with not convincing anyone, just want to show I'm not crazy for loving BC like I do.
And you should totally get into MHA when you find the time! It's my favorite manga currently running.

Oh and to quote parts of someone's post, you just highlight that part and then "Quote/Reply" will pop up and you click that.