• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Magna wasn't shown so he's presumably not in the assault squad. But yeah I'd like him to get a power up too. He's the Bull that's the most at risk of falling behind due to being a peasant but he's been able to keep up for now. I'm cool with him not being chosen because as a fire user, Leopold needs the shine more but I assume everyone in the series will just get stronger over the timeskip even if they're not trained by the Heart people.
I just think magna is cool lol

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This week's Black Clover dub was pretty good. I like how they didn't even bother to try and recruit real Xerx or those other jabronis. Asta agreeing to be experimented on was the lewdest thing he has ever done. Magna finally realized his hair and glasses looked dumb so he's kept his battle damaged look.
Black Clover's dub has become a uniquely impressive part of Funimation's lineup considering it's probably the longest Simuldub they've handled by far, with 100+ uninterrupted episodes and no delays as far as I can remember. Also has a huge cast of characters and the director seems to avoid using the same actor for multiple characters. And it'll only keep going.
Funny considering it's technically a Crunchyroll show.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Asta's voice in the original is beyond grating so the dub is a hundred percent improvement there but it really is a great effort by them. Fairy Tail also had periods of being simuldubbed with an even larger cast and it's one of Funimation's best efforts.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice episode. I liked the Latry fight a lot in the manga and liked it here too. Finral's punch was so good.
I liked seeing Patry look forward to seeing Licht again. Makes it even more impactful that their first real conversation is after Patry knows how much he messed up.

But damn things are moving quick. There's only two fights left and we're in the Shadow Palace. I guess the arc started 6 months ago but it doesn't feel like it lol. Looking forward to seeing how Glamour World is adapted.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So spoilers for Jump manga are coming out and I haven't looked at them as usual but I did come across the color spread for this week's Black Clover chapter. Not sure if I can post it or link to it but it's out there.

Yes. The spread features four characters and two of them have new looks.
Mimosa and Nero don't have any changes I can see.
Edit: Actually Mimosa got a very very small change to her outfit, seemingly having a belt instead of her brown corset.

Noelle got minor changes to her outfit that may be hard to notice, and also wears her Black Bulls robe a bit differently but she looks the same for the most part.

Asta got a big change to his outfit, wearing a black medium-sleeves vest with no shirt underneath (think Luffy post-timeskip, showing off a small scar too lol) and he now wears his Black Bulls on one shoulder, similar to Yami but it's not torn like Yami's. He's also got a new headband with the red demon mark thing back on the front (like before he joined the Bulls), next to the Bull symbol, and turned sideways.
I feel his new design is a very big improvement. Love it!

Only 2/4 new designs and only one of those is a big difference so best to keep expectations in check regarding the rest of the cast not on the cover. Still, for a timeskip of only six months, anything on top of "they're more powerful" is bonus to me lol.

If you wanna see it and don't know where to look or don't want to risk looking for it and seeing spoilers from the chapter itself, just PM me.

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
So spoilers for Jump manga are coming out and I haven't looked at them as usual but I did come across the color spread for this week's Black Clover chapter. Not sure if I can post it or link to it but it's out there.

Yes. The spread features four characters and two of them have new looks.
Mimosa and Nero don't have any changes I can see.

Noelle got a very minor change to her outfit that may be hard to notice , and also wears her Black Bulls robe a bit differently but she looks the same for the most part.

Asta got a big change to his outfit, wearing a black medium-sleeves vest with no shirt underneath (think Luffy post-timeskip, showing off a small scar too lol) and he now wears his Black Bulls on one shoulder, similar to Yami but it's not torn like Yami's. He's also got a new headband with the red demon mark thing back on the front (like before he joined the Bulls), next to the Bull symbol, and turned sideways.
I feel his new design is a very big improvement. Love it!

Only 2/4 new designs and only one of those is a big difference so best to keep expectations in check regarding the rest of the cast not on the cover. Still, for a timeskip of only six months, anything on top of "they're more powerful" is bonus to me lol.

If you wanna see it and don't know where to look or don't want to risk looking for it and seeing spoilers from the chapter itself, just PM me.
I switched to official release for OP, BC and DS recently (for the most part, if I'm very pumped for a chapter... well), but I couldn't help but check this lmao.
Not a huge change in the characters for the most part, but it makes sense seeing how short and sudden of a timeskip it was.
This is pretty much what I was expecting and wanting.

Asta is indeed the one that changed the most, I really like the new design. The headband looks amazing and the way he channels Yami is :chefkiss: Also, does he look a bit more jacked or is it just me?

I hope we get other characters sporting new looks as well, at least the younger ones (I don't expect people like Yami to change much).

I don't know what the chapter entails beyond these new designs. I can't wait to see the repercusions of the timeskip in the status quo and the characters themselves.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I switched to official release for OP, BC and DS recently (for the most part, if I'm very pumped for a chapter... well), but I couldn't help but check this lmao.
Not a huge change in the characters for the most part, but it makes sense seeing how short and sudden of a timeskip it was.
This is pretty much what I was expecting and wanting.

Asta is indeed the one that changed the most, I really like the new design. The headband looks amazing and the way he channels Yami is :chefkiss: Also, does he look a bit more jacked or is it just me?

I hope we get other characters sporting new looks as well, at least the younger ones (I don't expect people like Yami to change much).

I don't know what the chapter entails beyond these new designs. I can't wait to see the repercusions of the timeskip in the status quo and the characters themselves.
Yeah not many big changes from those we've seen. I think for the royals especially changes can't be too big due to each family having their trademark style. But I'm very curious to see how the rest of the cast looks.

The Yami influence in Asta's outfit is so good. He did look more jacked to me too. Maybe it's just tighter-fitting clothes but it's not unlikely he'd get bigger after a timeskip and a lot of training.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the 15th in Japan meaning it's the queen's birthday and since I won't be here tomorrow, I'm celebrating now.
tmeRUT3l.jpg

dARq0x0l.jpg

lZpF7t0l.jpg

"I don't care whether you acknowledge me or not..."
VyTrlEJl.jpg

jUBp6OFl.jpg

dm2nmXYl.jpg

yxsgGM7.gif

(Thanks again PhantomKnight )

Love this character, my favorite in this series as you may know. I've loved seeing her grow and become more powerful, learn to be more trusting of others and believe in herself and show her family she's not the failure they judged her to be. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next for her. Megicula being tied to her story is so interesting and makes me so happy.

Praise her! Revere her! Absolutely subarashii

Oh and it's also Kahonos birthday, in case anyone cares. It's funny they share a birthday. I like her too and hope to see her again in the manga's future.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
She's gonna eat I think this arc and during EoS I think. The Magicula connection plus her untapped potential... Love the character.

Kahono was cool, I want to see the siblings come back too. Interesting magic as well.
Yeah not many big changes from those we've seen. I think for the royals especially changes can't be too big due to each family having their trademark style. But I'm very curious to see how the rest of the cast looks.

The Yami influence in Asta's outfit is so good. He did look more jacked to me too. Maybe it's just tighter-fitting clothes but it's not unlikely he'd get bigger after a timeskip and a lot of training.
To be fair, he looks way beefier han he should anytime he takes his shirt off (which is pretty often lol). So maybe him going full Luffy mode is just giving off that impression, we'll see in the chapter.

I remember disliking his design before starting the manga and during the first few arcs (mostly out of being tired of the hyperactive looking teen MC in shonens). I eventually warmed up to it to the point of really liking it, now even more. The athlete vibe he's got is really cool, especially in a world of wizards.

I hope Magna gets some makeover as well. And some action, my boy has been kinds left behind :(

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, he looks way beefier han he should anytime he takes his shirt off (which is pretty often lol). So maybe him going full Luffy mode is just giving off that impression, we'll see in the chapter.

I remember disliking his design before starting the manga and during the first few arcs (mostly out of being tired of the hyperactive looking teen MC in shonens). I eventually warmed up to it to the point of really liking it, now even more. The athlete vibe he's got is really cool, especially in a world of wizards.

I hope Magna gets some makeover as well. And some action, my boy has been kinds left behind :(

I never really disliked his design, just went from indifferent to liking it but this new one I just love. The old one just looked like a plain peasant outfit, which I was fine with because that's what he was lol. But now? He looks like a damn warrior! And I love that cause he deserves the glow up after all his accomplishments (and it still remains modest and not too flashy, which is nice).

Magna getting a redesign would be cool (though I'm not sure we'd see that here considering the group members shown last chapter). I think he looks cooler with his hair down like in the war against the elves but that's a kind of haircut that's already pretty common in the cast so I can see why Tabata brought back his normal look. But I'd love a new outfit at least. Don't really think he's been left behind though. I mean, he literally is with this arc lol since he wasn't chosen and beyond that, I do think he's the one with the most risk of falling behind everyone else and becoming a Yamcha but he did get some action relatively recently with the Reve fight, though admittedly Sally was the key player in that. That's far away in chapter number but in terms of actual opportunities to fight, not really cause after that we pretty much went straight into the Shadow Palace and then the war ended. Still, I also look forward to seeing more from him in the future.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man this chapter got me hype.

Firstly, Asta's new design is so damn good. Absolutely love it. Big improvement over the first one. I like it much better than what I've been imagining a timeskip redesign would be for Asta, which was something sleeveless like what Yami has. But I really love the Luffy-style medium sleeves vest, and I like that there's still Yami influence with the way he wears the robe. Cool that he still keeps it pretty simple. New headband looks cool too. I like that it makes the reference to Licht's demon form more obvious due to the pattern not being formed by stitches and that the symbol is back on the front, both fitting how more in tune with his demonic/"arcane" abilities he's become.
latest
U2E5pQfm.jpg
Ayk6Nnym.jpg

Speaking of which, this chapter does a good job of giving a idea in very few pages of just how much stronger Asta is. Seems he can surf on his sword now, which is both cool and funny, I'd never even considered that as a potential upgrade. And he can call the sword back too? Another thing I've never considered but is very cool, especially that he shouts the name. (I wonder how that works. Is it an application of his anti-magic? Or is it like the thing that makes Grimoires react to the users' will?)

Most telling by far though is just how casually he used his Black Divider.

For reference, this is how it looked in the devil fight, the very first time Asta used his sword this way:
c1UJ70y.jpg

In the devil fight, he had immense trouble even getting the anti-magic to take shape and then more trouble maintaining it. You can see how much he's straining here. And importantly, he did in not just in Black form but also while being boosted by his devil resonating with the Word Soul Devil (the boosts Yuno and Asta had there kinda give a taste of what they could be like now, Yuno especially was just stacking buffs haha).

Now though? We go from a page of him not having it on to:
21bLTEK.jpg

In an instant. No enemy devil boost. No Black form. Yet much quicker and much longer. So damn casual about it lol.

Have to note that this still isn't at the level of what killed the Word Devil:
K9vqBBdl.jpg

Clearly that Spade goon didn't warrant this effot but my guess is that he can do a Black Divider of this level too now. Maybe in his normal form, maybe in his transformed form.

So yeah, safe to say this timeskip benefited Asta quite well (he's like Thor/Kratos/Jedi now lol). I'm curious to see how he fights with the other swords, as well as his black form. Hype!

As for the rest of the chapter, bunch of curious stuff there too. Spade having control of the Diamond Kingdom now makes sense and puts us in an interesting place, with the Heart assault squad planning to invade the Spade while Spade is getting close to a place where they can invade both Clover and Heart, potentially involving known characters beyond the 12 chosen from Clover.

The vehicle fortress Candelo seems way more advanced than anything seen in the series up to this point, suggesting Spade's military superiority goes beyond just strong mages. I wonder if the one we see is the only one or if there are multiple. Cause presumably, Asta is taking this one down since the chapter ends with him declaring a battle with all of them.

I'm also curious about whether the way low-ranking citizens were used to power the fortress indicates that in the Spade, those citizens are generally exploited for military power, in contrast to Diamond seemingly using them for experiments and Clover for hard labor. Would fit the fact that "military focus" is basically all that was known about them but gotta wait and see.

Last Spade thing is that the Spade symbol on that enemy's grimoire, as well as the Spade symbol on the map, look very simple, which further lends credence to the idea that the guy we saw in Diamond is the "Ace of Spades", given his symbol looked special. Maybe their "4-Leaf" equivalent or just a special symbol for their strongest.

Finally, the end with that guy saying "Master Yuno" is very curious. I wonder where he came from and why he's looking for Yuno. Both this chapter and the previous one end in Hage Village and last time it was Yuno who was there so those things might be tied. Or maybe it's time to learn about Yuno's origins and this guy is tied to whoever brought Yuno to the church.

Looking forward to the next one. Hoping to see the new designs for more characters but if not, whatever I'll try to be patient lol

-----------

Btw, random neat thing about the series, so far you could say that the story of Black Clover kinda happens in chunks of 6 months. The timeline we've had since Ch. 1 is basically:

Prologue: Yuno and Asta receive their grimoires.

Then 6 months of training until Magic Knight Exam.

Part 1: Asta and Yuno enter MK squads. 6 months later, they are named best rookies at the Star Festival. One week later, the Royal Knights Selection happens. A few days after that, the raid on the Midnight Sun hideout begins and the Elf Resurrection happens that same night. In the aftermath, Asta gets exiled, Bulls have to learn about devils/curses, alliance with Heart happens. Overall, this takes place across 6.5 months, maybe 7 depending on how long the post-resurrection stuff was.

Then 6 Months of training in the Heart Kingdom.

Part 2: Present, Spade Invasion.

With Loropechika saying she had a year left to live if the curse wasn't broken and 6 months were dedicated to training for the coming invasion, she now has 6 months left to live as things are now. And I feel that makes it likely that'll be the time frame within which this Spade part happens, with her condition basically being the deadline for defeating Megicula.

If it does end up working out that way then the roughly similar chunks of time for story progress would be interesting. Seems to play into the idea of the author wanting this to last a while, as these 6 month chunks justify big things happening while not making time progress so quickly that the cast ages too fast. Does make me wonder if we'll see a bigger timeskip eventually or a story part that lasts longer than that. Hell who knows, maybe this Spade thing goes on for longer than 6 months and Loro dies partway through (hopefully not).

Last edited:

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
So, are all of the reincarnated elves with the exclusion of Yuno vengeful misanthropes? Patri's overall objective has some huge flaws.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still crazy to me how quickly the arc is progressing in the anime, gonna be in the Shadow Palace pretty soon. Such a far cry from the first 13 episodes adapting 10 episodes lol.

I really liked how Reve taking out half the mech looked. Looking forward to next week. Seems like both the Droit and Reve fights will be shown.

After that they enter the Shadow Palace and then Yuno shows up so with the anime adapting the arc's events chronologically, it doesn't seem like we'll see filler of what Yuno was doing. But at this rate filler's gotta come sooner or later if this is meant to last until September of last year. Probably gonna use the aftermath of the war instead, and maybe the timeskip period.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, just caught up with the manga latest chapter. One thing has bugged me, are there two Fanas now? Since we had the Diamond Kingdom Fana and now the Elf Fana.
Ya. It's very weird, especially cause in addition to looking the same they're the only ones that share the same name, and I want them to meet so that it becomes even weirder.

Elf Vetto and Elf Fana are still alive?
...Yeahhhh manga OT so consult at your own risk haha. Though I can say it's not really a big spoiler and isn't treated as a big reveal. With where you are in the anime (I assume you're following the dub), you can already see them in the OP. They just showed up in the sub episode yesterday.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Ya. It's very weird, especially cause in addition to looking the same they're the only ones that share the same name, and I want them to meet so that it becomes even weirder.

...Yeahhhh manga OT so consult at your own risk haha. Though I can say it's not really a big spoiler and isn't treated as a big reveal. With where you are in the anime (I assume you're following the dub), you can already see them in the OP. They just showed up in the sub episode yesterday.

I'm currently around the Elf invasion but I was already spoiled about Patri and the entity who was responsible for the Elf massacre.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
anywho, Yamis magic is probably also connected to the devil world right?
Ooh is it theory time?

Because yeah, given it was said only mages "affected" by the other world could hurt the devil, there is indeed something shady with Yami.

There are a few possible explanations that come to mind.

1. Yami is from "the other world". We know that Yami is from "The Land of the Sun" and ended up on the continent where the story takes place because of a shipwreck caused by bad weather. So in this case, The Land of the Sun would be in "the other world" along with the devils' home.
This is the most simple from an "argument structure" standpoint, yet the one with the biggest implications lol.

2. The Land of the Sun is in the normal world but whatever caused Yami to shipwreck was related to the other world in some way. This is just a more boring version of #1 lol.

3. His magic worked not because of something special that happened to him but because of the property of Dark magic itself. When Licht was transforming into a demon, he said he was absorbing too much "negative mana". If there's any element that seems like it would qualify as "negative", it would be Yami's unique Dark magic.

Those are what come to my mind for now, though there may be other possibilities. Yami's backstory is something that will probably be expanded upon, cause he only told it in some jokey way to make fun of Patry. #1 would be an interesting way to tie two possible future locations together (and it is funny that the name of the one guy from the land of the sun means "darkness").

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh is it theory time?

Because yeah, given it was said only mages "affected" by the other world could hurt the devil, there is indeed something shady with Yami.

There are a few possible explanations that come to mind.

1. Yami is from "the other world". We know that Yami is from "The Land of the Sun" and ended up on the continent where the story takes place because of a shipwreck caused by bad weather. So in this case, The Land of the Sun would be in "the other world" along with the devils' home.
This is the most simple from an "argument structure" standpoint, yet the one with the biggest implications lol.

2. The Land of the Sun is in the normal world but whatever caused Yami to shipwreck was related to the other world in some way. This is just a more boring version of #1 lol.

3. His magic worked not because of something special that happened to him but because of the property of Dark magic itself. When Licht was transforming into a demon, he said he was absorbing too much "negative mana". If there's any element that seems like it would qualify as "negative", it would be Yami's unique Dark magic.

Those are what come to my mind for now, though there . Yami's backstory is something that will probably be expanded upon, cause he only told it in some jokey way to make fun of Patry. #1 would be an interesting way to tie two possible future locations together (and it is funny that the name of the one guy from the land of the sun means "darkness").
i don't think Yami is from the other world...#2 seems more likely to me. I don't think negative mana thing has much to do with it either, because that can just be like mana produced by negative thought, emotions, etc.

not sure i guess we'll find out. his magic being able to affect the devil though makes me think its somehow related to the devil world though. perhaps the magic was created to fight devils in the first place.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Demons only being affected by magic from the other world is a limit.

Yami pushed past that limit.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think Yami is from the other world...#2 seems more likely to me. I don't think negative mana thing has much to do with it either, because that can just be like mana produced by negative thought, emotions, etc.

not sure i guess we'll find out. his magic being able to affect the devil though makes me think its somehow related to the devil world though. perhaps the magic was created to fight devils in the first place.

#2 feels actually like the unlikeliest one to me. Cause it just seems weirdly specific for him to be normal, go from one part of the normal world to another part of that same normal world but somehow that involved something from the other world and thus he is now "affected". If he's from the same world as the devils somehow, then what happened to him is basically the same thing that happened the devils but he had no control over it.

We don't really know anything about negative mana beyond Licht saying he was pulling it in to transform but because of the nature of his transformation, I don't think it's about negative emotions rather than just another term for forbidden or demonic mana.
Regardless, whether it's cause it's called "negative" or not, the point for #3 is just "it worked because Dark magic, not Yami, is special".

Demons only being affected by magic from the other world is a limit.

Yami pushed past that limit.
Lol that's the secret option #4.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's also cursed to always be on the toilet.
Lol. Curse saga be like "Every character trait is a curse"

Btw, on the topic of out there ideas like potential reasons for Yami hurting the devil, if it were not for both the Witch Queen and Gordon's father saying "No mana aside, Asta is completely normal", then when this chapter came out and one of the Spade guys said "Mana dwells in life energy" then I bet you would've seen people say "what? Is Asta actually dead? Is he a zombie/undead?!" lol. That's kinda why for me it's not enough right now to just say "oh Yami is from the demon world cause he could hurt the devil. Simple!", even if I recognize it as a possibility.

Asta was drawn as a zombie for a cover tho...
tumblr_oxsiiuIBlk1vy2tgqo4_250.png

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
#2 feels actually like the unlikeliest one to me. Cause it just seems weirdly specific for him to be normal, go from one part of the normal world to another part of that same normal world but somehow that involved something from the other world and thus he is now "affected". If he's from the same world as the devils somehow, then what happened to him is basically the same thing that happened the devils but he had no control over it.

We don't really know anything about negative mana beyond Licht saying he was pulling it in to transform but because of the nature of his transformation, I don't think it's about negative emotions rather than just another term for forbidden or demonic mana.
Regardless, whether it's cause it's called "negative" or not, the point for #3 is just "it worked because Dark magic, not Yami, is special".

Lol that's the secret option #4.
I don't really think Yami is necessarily special but i do think Dark Magic is special

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Always been like that. Elf Fana got a clone body after being exorcised from Human Fana in the forest of witches.

Got it. I like human Fana better than elf Fana tbh, her schtick of losing clothes was... ehh. Human Fana was a badass.
Love how Black Clover has so many amazing female characters. Charmy vs elf Rill was amazing.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got it. I like human Fana better than elf Fana tbh, her schtick of losing clothes was... ehh. Human Fana was a badass.
Love how Black Clover has so many amazing female characters. Charmy vs elf Rill was amazing.
Badass makes me think you're thinking about the elf version while she was possessing Human Fana as a Third Eye and was super mad and serious. Cause actual Human Fana hasn't done much yet lol. Regardless, I hope to see Human Fana again soon, as well as all those other Witch Forest arc characters, cause the Diamond is in a dire state.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Yami is directly linked to the Devil World. He's just a mage who's magic happens to have a quality they are adverse to. We already know that Clover has unnatural magic due to them having given up the "Divine Natural Mana" protection, so it's likely a result of that.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Yami is directly linked to the Devil World. He's just a mage who's magic happens to have a quality they are adverse to. We already know that Clover has unnatural magic due to them having given up the "Divine Natural Mana" protection, so it's likely a result of that.
Yeah it just being a property of Dark magic is what requires the fewest leaps.

Though what you bring up is still curious because how would Yami, as a foreigner, be affected or tied by whatever ancient Clover folks did? That was something I found odd about what Loro said, and Tabata made a point to have her mention Yami there.
Did Yami not have magic before coming there? That'd be weird.
Was he actually drawn there somehow? (like maybe "the land" liked his magic or potential haha)
What is it that makes him count as both an irregularity born from decisions in that environment's past yet also a foreigner not descendant from anyone there?

It really just made me more curious to learn about him.