• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watched all of Squishy! and it was pretty fun.

I especially liked comedy Yuno because a neat thing about Yuno is that he happens to share a voice actor with Shun Kaido from "The Disastrous Life of Saiki K" in not just Japanese but in English (for the Funi dub of Saiki K, not the new Netflix one) as well. And that feels very fitting because Yuno is exactly the kind of cool OP battle manga pretty boy that Kaido wishes he was and so it's cool when Yuno's persona broke in this and I felt like I was hearing Kaido. I hope Funimation can dub this too. Might be tricky with some jokes but they been handling Petit Clover well so they could do this well too.

And also it's funny that the spin-off has a good OP too. Looking forward to the new main series songs this week.

Very random thing about Squishy! I also like is how one of the fake next episode previews is an Avengers Endgame parody. And the reason I like that is that there are funny similarities between the MCU's Infinity Saga and Black Clover's first arc.
I remember the first time I re-read BC after having seen Infinity War, when the reincarnation happened I thought "wait...this is the snap!" lol. Cause it's basically half the cast forcefully being taken away because of the execution of the big bad's great plan with involved super powerful gemstones being brought together in a special item. Then the rest of the arc is Endgame with one big ass conflict and involves villains who came from the past.
(Hell, the fight in the Underwater Temple is kinda Avengers 1, with all the heroes coming together after multiple arcs introducing them separately to fight the villain sent to retrieve one of those powerful gemstones for the big bad)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Full version of the OP is out already.

As usual, I love it. Vickeblanka snapped on this. (Them keys too, damn!)
------------
Really like the new key visual for the anime. Love how it's just swordsmen lol. Truly the Demon Slayer part of BC.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Squishy was so fun, Sally is always just a fun antagonist cause shes just so silly and over the top.

Hope it was popular enough to get more someday...also Im so glad they gave me my wish of an AstaYuno song, my shippers heart is exploding, and both sound really good, always loved their va's singing voices elsewhere.

--

Episodes have been awesome to watch back to back since I feel slightly behind. Demon's voice sounds familiar but I forgot the voice actors name and didnt see him listed anywhere, and I really find how they do that filter over the flashbacks really nice for some reason.

Will further voice thoughts once seeing it dubbed since sub I often zone out and just focused on the things happening on screen (manga reader means everythings not fresh)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Episodes have been awesome to watch back to back since I feel slightly behind. Demon's voice sounds familiar but I forgot the voice actors name and didnt see him listed anywhere, and I really find how they do that filter over the flashbacks really nice for some reason.

Will further voice thoughts once seeing it dubbed since sub I often zone out and just focused on the things happening on screen (manga reader means everythings not fresh)
Devil's voice actor is Showtaro Morikubo, voice of Shikamaru Nara.
Curious to see who voices him in English.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Welp...Spade is pretty damn scary.

This chapter is interesting because the Golden Dawn seemingly didn't pay much of a price for being the secret true enemy of the first saga, including William who is still captain apparently, and I assume it's just cause the kingdom can't afford to bench strong people right now but damn...they're certainly paying the price now, and doing so while hyping up the new villains.

Seems like all of the ones there at the entrance are dead. Unconfirmed but it sure looks like they're dead and Zeno said to kill everyone except William last chapter.

Speaking of William, very curious to see what they want his magic for. They clearly want him alive and want his World Tree magic.
I wonder what for. (...dimensional travel? Cause that's what God of War taught me the World Tree does lol. And William did send the elf souls to a different plane of existence.)

Bone magic is very cool (Kimimaro homage? Tabata wanting to give a bone user the shine they deserve?). Zeno continues to look very cool.
Big Rock Spade guy was funny too, explaining things for no reason. Reminds me of Muscular from MHA too.

Will Yuno lose? Cause the Dark Disciples are apparently much stronger than the one Asta faced.
With the end of this chapter, the title of the first chapter of this arc "Beginning of Hope and Despair" already makes more sense. Gonna be interesting for Yuno.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some of them are kinda dead. There was one dude in the penultimate page who looked like he was missing half his body.

Going by the previous chapters, it looks like the Golden Dawn who participated in the attacks against the Nobles themselves have been let go, like Langris. These look like a bunch of newbies who filled in the gaps. William slipped by because he wasn't present at all, so he has a legit excuse to still be Captain. He regrets his actions, but only a few people know his role in the previous arc.

Speaking of William, we finally get to see what he's all about. I think it's fair to say he's Tier 1, so he should put up a decent fight. The fact that that Spade is going on a Grimoire hunt surprising. I wonder if they need the magician as well, or just want the books.

I think Yuno needs to take an L here. He needs something to build to. He's been coasting pretty well since the Royal Knight Tourney.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These chapters are too short; the anime is catching up at a frightening pace.
It's Pierrot, they'll do filler or something lol
While I'm glad the anime got extended as it allows the arc to be adapted in full, I do feel a new full year-long run is a bit much given the available material.
What I think, and hope, will happen is the anime will extend the post-war stuff before they go to the Heart and/or add stuff while they're in the Heart in the period the manga skipped (there's also two more LNs to potentially adapt) then end the run right before the start of the post-timeskip period.

If it keeps going for a fourth year, then I'll be quite concerned. Of course if it ends, there's also no guarantee that it'd come back but I'm hopeful that it would considering how well it seems to do for TV Tokyo and how important it seems for Crunchyroll.
Yeah, some of them are kinda dead. There was one dude in the penultimate page who looked like he was missing half his body.

Going by the previous chapters, it looks like the Golden Dawn who participated in the attacks against the Nobles themselves have been let go, like Langris. These look like a bunch of newbies who filled in the gaps. William slipped by because he wasn't present at all, so he has a legit excuse to still be Captain. He regrets his actions, but only a few people know his role in the previous arc.

Speaking of William, we finally get to see what he's all about. I think it's fair to say he's Tier 1, so he should put up a decent fight. The fact that that Spade is going on a Grimoire hunt surprising. I wonder if they need the magician as well, or just want the books.

I think Yuno needs to take an L here. He needs something to build to. He's been coasting pretty well since the Royal Knight Tourney.

That assessment of GD's status makes sense. But one of them looks like David/Baval who was in the Vermillion house, though thanks to Kirsch no one actually died there so maybe the ones sent there wouldn't have been punished.
(edit: though I re-read and in this chapter he looks like he could be someone else, idk)

You think they want the grimoire specifically? I thought they'd take William to force him to use his magic somehow cause the grimoire can't be used by others. But maybe they've got a way around that.

I definitely want Yuno to lose here too.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone think Yuno will finally be defeated for once where as he just wins again and the arc ends.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even with timeskip boosts, I think that Spade Rock guy should be able to take down Yuno alone considering what he did to all those (edit: counted, 16!!) GD members together. And there's still that other Spade guy.
Edit: And with Ralph telling Yuno not to rush out and figuring that they sent some of their strongest, it feels like Yuno should lose here.

It's possible help will come though. They're not being that discreet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
darn i just want to know where my Langris is.

cool chapter especially with enraged yuno.

not giving him a loss since he should have powered up too. Sylph as well.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
That assessment of GD's status makes sense. But one of them looks like David/Baval who was in the Vermillion house, though thanks to Kirsch no one actually died there so maybe the ones sent there wouldn't have been punished.
(edit: though I re-read and in this chapter he looks like he could be someone else, idk)

You think they want the grimoire specifically? I thought they'd take William to force him to use his magic somehow cause the grimoire can't be used by others. But maybe they've got a way around that.

I definitely want Yuno to lose here too.

I say that, but I'm not entirely sure,lol. We never really saw much of the Golden Dawn to begin with.

The way it was worded made it seem like that. Plus, given the demons' apparent obsession with grimoires, it seems like something they'd do. Maybe four leaves aren't as necessary as we were led to believe?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The way it was worded made it seem like that. Plus, given the demons' apparent obsession with grimoires, it seems like something they'd do. Maybe four leaves aren't as necessary as we were led to believe?
Yeah that's a good point, they love their grimoires. And Spade seems on a whole other level with their devil shit. Maybe the 4 to 5 leaf transition is only for a devil to inhabit/own a grimoire but they can imbue their power in a regular 3-leaf and make use of that.
(Cause Spade doesn't seem to have "special" grimoires but multiple people have some devil power)

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like William comes away from this but Yuno will get taken. He will do something impressive in the process as we know Yuno can't take a truly solid L. That said, the reveal of his past combined with the death of his squad may be too much for even Yuno to calmly and cooly process.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Not that whooping the eight shining generals was that big of a feat but William manhandled the ones he fought back then. He's plenty tough. Yuno also can't lose on the path to becoming Blizzard King, it's all about results.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Episode 116:
Nice Episode. Love this part, which is when I officially became a Nozel fan. I like how it pays off on him swearing revenge after Fuegoleon was defeated and then being the one to look for the Midnight Sun base after that while the Bulls were doing their thing, love how he was just controlling the fight (his magic is so cool). And I also like how he makes himself a WK candidate at the end.
"Let your own deeds be your undoing" is one of the best quotes in the series.

Asta entering Patry's mind has been very well handled. I love what they did with him delving deeper and seeing the memories, from how that was presented to the score. Good stuff. I also loved Gakuto Kajiwara's performance on Asta's scolding of Patry (his best non-fight moment imo), he's come a long way.

The post-credits scene was handled in a pretty clever way too.

Opening 10:

Love this. This opening is so cool. Always love a scene of the hero falling deeper underwater in a shonen OP, and fitting that it's the true MVP of the saga. I also really like the way the final big players of the arc are presented before the hook.
And I just love what they did with the visuals when the hook kicks in, always keeping the devil in the frame while rotating to show all the people fighting him. Does a really good job of conveying his power, presence and what it takes to stand a chance against him.
The end with Nero looking at Lumiere and Licht as dawn rises and color comes in is beautiful.

What a classy OP lol, damn. Easy contender for favorite of the series. Even if this adaptation has been far from ideal, I'm very thankful to at least get to see the arcs I love presented in as cool a manner as they've been across these OPs.

Edit: Also I like how the only thing that's in color are the red eyes of the devil and Asta/Nero.

Ending 10:

ED is glorious as well, visuals and song alike. Love the focus on Nero (between the OP, the ED, the cover of volume 23, Nero's getting a lot of love this month and I'm into it). I really like the various shots of her in her room. That scrolling image as the hook comes in showing the elves and the characters introduced in the aftermath of the war is really cool as well, love it. Feels like a nice pass of the baton lol. Though I was shocked when they started showing the new characters and speechless when the last one showed up. Clearly the staff is hyped about the manga too haha.
(It's weird, I knew they were coming in the anime but now it feels more real and thus more scary in terms of how close to the manga it is. Very curious to see how they handle things)
The last part is beautiful too.
The art style used for the ED is the same as the one in the standout eps of the show and it would be so nice if the characters always looked like that, even if I'm used to the flatter look they tend to have. Anyway, new ED is a new favorite too lol. Love Nero, the song, the direction.

I feel like William comes away from this but Yuno will get taken. He will do something impressive in the process as we know Yuno can't take a truly solid L. That said, the reveal of his past combined with the death of his squad may be too much for even Yuno to calmly and cooly process.
I didn't think they'd want Yuno as of now cause Zeno said get William, kill everyone else. However now that you mention it, beyond maybe being interested in his wind spirit, it's quite possible they'll see the resemblance between Yuno and his father that Ralph did and figure out his identity.

Not that whooping the eight shining generals was that big of a feat
Harsh, but not inaccurate.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
new OP is great, but holy shit at the ending visuals. Already manga content which we just saw?!

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think they'd want Yuno as of now cause Zeno said get William, kill everyone else. However now that you mention it, beyond maybe being interested in his wind spirit, it's quite possible they'll see the resemblance between Yuno and his father that Ralph did and figure out his identity.

You know what, they mentioned they were after an Arcane Stage Mage, but I never pieced together that it could be William.

I guess there is a unique property of World Tree Magic that we don't know of that would allow William to beat a devil.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This seems to be her week so here's some Nero fan art:

Cool fan art from the same person that works kind of like a poster for the first saga:

------------------------------------
Random Fun Fact about these new OP/EDs, it seems like the company behind the music for BC is the same as the one for Fruits Basket 2019 because Vickeblanka who we already had did an ED for that but the new ED is from the group behind the music for this masterpiece:

(Anyway please watch Fruits Basket)

new OP is great, but holy shit at the ending visuals. Already manga content which we just saw?!
I was shocked lol. That Zeno shot was from 2 months ago in the manga and the ED director jumped at the opportunity haha.
You know what, they mentioned they were after an Arcane Stage Mage, but I never pieced together that it could be William.

I guess there is a unique property of World Tree Magic that we don't know of that would allow William to beat a devil.
I'm very curious to see if they're looking for other Arcane mages because if not then there's something specific about World Tree magic, as opposed to just managing threats.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I hope that we get the golden chance for once that a Mangaka supports the studio by adding the stuff he skipped at a timeskip. All those Shounen animes those past two decades that made stupid fillers (looking at you Naruto to Naruto Shippuden) even though the Mangaka could have given them sticky notes with some stuff to add meaningful content. I hope the staff is able to do that with Tabata or else I don't see it being good at all.

Edit: Also Secre is too cute in the anime.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rhya knew the truth about the elf massacre but he didn't tell Patri about it. Rhya is absolute trash.
He didn't exactly know the truth, rather just that the first WK was not lying and really was an ally to them. But yes, he certainly messed up severely, not telling Patry that they weren't betrayed by the WK (and again to a smaller degree at the start of the arc when he knew Asta was serious about wanting understanding but he still carried on). The devil exploited Patry's childishness but Rhya's selfishness in wanting to see Licht again no matter what was very costly for him but many other people.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
New OP and ED are both great.

The way the volume cover gets worked in is a nice touch.
These chapters are too short; the anime is catching up at a frightening pace.
Anime will have to give the people what they want.

50 original episodes of Mars (and some shining generals) attempting to prevent Spade's invasion into diamond kingdom.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently today is Mars' birthday. I actually like him quite a bit and look forward to seeing him again. He's got a cool design, power and I liked his story from the Dungeon mission to the Witch Forest. He's also cool in how he expanded the world of BC pretty quickly, and served as a tether to the idea of there being so much more ahead when the climax of the first saga was going on.

I wonder what he's up to now. He and Asta promised they'd help the other if in need, one needs to clear his name by facing Spade, the other's home has been taken over by Spade. It seems like it lines up for them to meet again in this saga.

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Mars is probably a revolutionary seeking to free Diamond from both Spade and Morris. If he isn't, then I'll be sorely disappointed.

Speaking of Morris, he's an enigma I want to hear more about. I was thinking that he's maybe join up with Spade and use them for his own purposes.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mars is probably a revolutionary seeking to free Diamond from both Spade and Morris. If he isn't, then I'll be sorely disappointed.

Speaking of Morris, he's an enigma I want to hear more about. I was thinking that he's maybe join up with Spade and use them for his own purposes.
Lol I like the idea of him being a revolutionary. He was planning to use more subtle means but that doesn't seem to be possible anymore (makes me wonder if he used that puppet's blood vial yet and if not, if that'll come into play eventually). I really just want to see him again and see what's up.

With Diamond taken over, the Heart + a few Clover mages prepping an attack, Clover itself already being attacked right now, there's just so many ways this arc could go. (Like, for all we know there could be a One Piece-style thing with Asta (and maybe others) splitting off from the main group to go help Mars, secure the country and their power for use on a bigger Spade assault.)

Morris is one I want to hear more about too. I can see him being involved with Spade too (maybe he joins, maybe he was undercover Spade all along, maybe he's using them lol).

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
New OP and ED are fantastic! Loving the Nero love.
I haven't been keeping up with the anime for a while, so I'll make time later this week to catch up.

As for the manga, it has been great so far.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Small thing but I've been slowly re-reading in the past couple weeks and saw this.
ZF3yx8gm.jpg

It's from Chapter 54, after the fight with the Midnight Sun when the captains are summoned by Julius and are waiting for him, and I believe this is the very first mention of there being a Spade Kingdom. Remarking it because I always somehow didn't notice this and glossed over it and thought the first mention of Spade was in the Star Festival listing of the GD's achievements when this is much more obvious haha.

He's saying this to Gueldre btw. And it does make sense, as later we learn (when Zora's introduced) that the Purple Orcas' VC Xerx was stationed in the "borderlands" (probably just the neutral zone) and so presumably he was watching out for attacks from other kingdoms.

(Also knowing how Xerx wasn't even known by some of his squadmates just makes me think about the Bulls VC and want to see them more lol)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Cool Asta art from Tatsuya Yoshihara.

-----------------------
Checked the anime awards nominees, Black Clover got robbed. No Asta/Yuno vs Licht in best fight is crazy to me. No OP nomination is weird too, if unsurprising given past years.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't plan on pulling a triple until the chapter but I saw this on Twitter which was funny timing cause I re-read this part yesterday and it stuck out to me as well.
Especially when considering this page

elSspW8l.png

Like...the Underwater Temple inhabitants are merfolk right? I'm pretty sure they might be merfolk now lol. Cause this page and the sfx suggest she just dove in, somehow able to swim back home. It's possible her song magic lets her somehow control underwater currents I guess but with Asta's line about mermaid rumors, Kahono sneaking away and us not being shown what exactly she did, I'm inclined to believe she just changed form underwater.

The Underwater Temple is weird and mysterious with how they have their own religion, called Noelle a goddess and are not allowed to explore the Clover Kingdom beyond this beach, unless they receive special permission. Maybe being merfolk is tied into all of this (last time another race started interacting with Clover humans in a serious capacity...it ain't end well for them).
Before seeing this again I already thought we might eventually learn more about them and this just adds a bit more fuel to the fire. But I can't imagine under what scenario we'd come to learn more about them in the story, given we already had an arc there. Gonna have to wait and see.

(Additional random but weird thing about Kahono is how she somehow shares a birthday with Noelle, November 15th, and same age too so she was literally born on the same day as her people's so-called "goddess". That's a trait only seen with Asta/Yuno, for whom it's just the date the church found them, and the Human/Elf counterparts like Patry/William, Luck/Rufel, etc.)

-------------------------------------------

Another thing I've been thinking about is Damnatio, the Pillar of Justice himself. Not much is known about him but there's a small bit of info we've been given that I find pretty interesting:

7h55wv3l.jpg

At first this just seems like a line to hype him up as really serious or whatever but, like, why the hell would he need to pass judgement on his father in the first place?

We don't know much about Damnatio but we know that dude knows what devils are and he hates them.

URnbmzVl.jpg

"This reaction" and "Devil-possessed" suggest he has some experience with this. And in the trial, he's immediately ready to have Asta take the fall and calls him evil just based on him using a devil's power, ending Ch.217 by saying this Asta transforms:

wYy8OFXl.jpg

So, he seems to have some kind of grudge. At the very least, the concept of devils vexes him.

But how could he have experience with devil affairs? For this, information at the top, as well as new stuff from Volume 23 may help. Damnatio is 28 years old (pre-timeskip), thus from the same generation of royals as Mereoleona (32), Fuegoleon (30) and Nozel (29). Given that's he's close in age to them, particularly Nozel, I think it's likely Damnatio's father was close in age to Acier Silva (32 when she died, would've been 48-49 now).

Why am I looking at their ages and why bring Acier into this? Well we know that:
  1. Acier Silva was cursed by Megicula and died.
  2. Damnatio knows devils enough to recognize their presence in his scales.
  3. Damnatio passed judgment on his father.
From that, I think it's quite possible that Damnatio's father had some relationship with Megicula. We don't know much about Megicula but the tiny bit we know suggests one thing: Megi likes to get involved with royalty. 17 years ago, Acier Silva of Clover died because of Megi cursing her. Also 17 years ago, the Zogratis siblings of the Dark Triad took the Spade crown by force using the "power of the devil" and we know Megi is in Spade right now. And finally at some point, Megi cursed Loropechika of the Heart and she'll die in 6 months if nothing changes.

So yeah, Megicula targets royals a lot and I think Megi and Damnatio's father (who will now be called Damn Daddy F-Kira) may have worked together. The idea would be that F-Kira wanted to become the King of Clover. Acier, being from his generation, was a competitor. Pretty strong competition in fact given that Mereoleona said of Acier that "her strength and beauty captivated everyone" and "her magic was dignified beyond belief", while (admittedly biased) Kid Nozel called her "the strongest Magic Knight Captain". Kid Nozel's line always had me consider that Acier would've become Wizard King instead of Julius if she hadn't died but thinking about this Damnatio situation, I now think she would've possibly become a "True King/Queen", aka both having the crown and being WK*, a concept first brought up in the story by someone discussing Fuegoleon's potential.
F-Kira didn't like the competition she posed and so he made a deal with Megicula. F-Kira becomes King, Megicula gets to control another kingdom. Then at some point was found out, judged and then Augustus (35 yo now) became King.

Not a bulletproof theory, to be sure, mostly just a narrative I built trying to put some pieces together. Very reliant on the ages of the characters yet that also presents a potential flaw: the fact that Damnatio would've been 11-12 when Acier died and yet he's shown to be an adult when judging his F-Kira. Could simply be that he found out the devil tie later when he was an adult, had him punished then Augustus took the throne. Megicula could've left already but left some devil power with F-Kira, as some Spade soldiers seem to have, and that leftover devil power would be what Damnatio's scales reacted to and how he recognized Asta's devil power.

At any rate, I'm very curious to learn more about Megicula (especially what Grandma Agrippa said about "the ancestor who made the contract" and "the curse of Megicula") and potentially F-Kira. And I would love an Acier flashback.

(Man, rambled way more than anticipated. But anyway, this is really all just stuff I'll be keeping an eye out for in the future)

*I use Wizard "King" because something Fuego says to Mereo in a flashback, as well as something shown in the beginning of the anime, suggest that it's "Wizard King" even for a woman.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I think your theory has more credence than you think. There are quite a few pieces to even add.

The series implies that there was a large incident between Megicula, Heart, and Clover.

Julius fought Gaja in the past, Charlotte's curse was said to have originated from Heart (at least, the person was and they knew forbidden magic from a demon), then, of course, there is Acier's curse and Loro's curse.

It's making it appear as if Megicula had been around the block for a while before settling up North. Although F-Kira may have had a hand in dealing with Megicula, something had to have not have worked out in Megicula's favor, seeing as how they weren't able to remain in Clover to build power, forcing them to move on elsewhere. Same thing could be said for Heart. And it seemed as if the same would've happened in Spade had the Dark Triad/Zogratis Siblings not came into play.

A lot of this stuff feels like it's a hop skip away from being fully linked.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think your theory has more credence than you think. There are quite a few pieces to even add.

The series implies that there was a large incident between Megicula, Heart, and Clover.

Julius fought Gaja in the past, Charlotte's curse was said to have originated from Heart (at least, the person was and they knew forbidden magic from a demon), then, of course, there is Acier's curse and Loro's curse.

It's making it appear as if Megicula had been around the block for a while before settling up North. Although F-Kira may have had a hand in dealing with Megicula, something had to have not have worked out in Megicula's favor, seeing as how they weren't able to remain in Clover to build power, forcing them to move on elsewhere. Same thing could be said for Heart. And it seemed as if the same would've happened in Spade had the Dark Triad/Zogratis Siblings not came into play.

A lot of this stuff feels like it's a hop skip away from being fully linked.

Forgot about Julius fighting Gaja. Yeah something weird might've happened in the past with Heart.
And we also know Gaja's scar is from a devil.

Unless I missed something I don't think we know that whoever cursed Charlotte is from Heart, just that they aren't Clover. But it's either Heart or Spade anyway since both are known to have devil ties. (Curious to learn more about this, and see Charlotte post-timeskip)

Good point about the Zogratis, it'd make sense that they were the ones that made the difference and let Megicula succeed where he failed elsewhere. But it's kinda cool how Megicula got involved with multiple countries in a short span of time, presumably wanting to takeover all of them.

Man, Megicula has not even been seen yet and I'm surprised at how interested I already am in them (killing the mother of my favorite character went a long way). Feels like we're gonna get a really important flashback eventually in this saga, akin to the chapters for Lumiere and Secre revealing the truth of the massacre, that may tie much of this together.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't no one beating my boi Julius for title of Blizzard King. Even Pasta Salad and Prince of Provisions Yuno don't have the results needed to best the king.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got to the Witch Forest and this is something I meant to bring up in my Grey post which was also partly a "Witch Queen is a goddess" post and completely forgot to add.
When talking with Vanessa after she comes back, the WQ says:

To let that man tempt you away...!
89AqOwvm.jpg

(Chapter 82)

Like, this is weird right?! To have her not just insist on the "man" part but then say "a mere human at that". This panel implies that she and her witch tribe count as their own species (still presumably compatible with humans like elves/dwarves). Cause it'd be weird for a human mother to talk down to her human daughter for running off with a human guy. At the very least she isn't human (but then if so then neither are her daughters/descendants, not 100% humans at least).

Anyway, still think she's a goddess whose name matches that of some well-known goddess (to the audience) and that's why her profile says "real name unknown".
---------------------------
Witches also said to be skilled in the use of curses so might see them in this saga (hell maybe a witch cursed Charlotte).

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered why they didn't try taking Charlotte and Henry to the Witch Queen to see if she could do anything about them.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the Witch Forest arc, when she's talking to the bulls about the elves, the WQ says "the origins of the elves are unclear". I wonder what that means. They're probably not native to that region then. Maybe they came from whatever is west of the Spade Kingdom. Or maybe they come from another world and their arrival here is tied to the pact made with ancient humans regarding the Shadow Realm and Sephira stuff.

Also she says many elves had mana equal to her own which if she does turn out to be a god would line up with what Patry said about elves having power to rival the gods.

Edit: Also, I'm so curious to see what the deal is gonna be with the Anti-Magic Devil. He wants to control Asta's body, said so when talking with Asta, and the Word Devil thought something like "if you don't take over that body soon, you'll die along with it" when looking at Asta. Wonder if its gonna come into play in a big way this saga or if it's for the end of the series.
-----------------------------
Random thing I want: guns. We know from that Star Festival game they have some concept of magically-charged firearms so I'd love to see that in actual battles. Maybe a new character, maybe Magna to help him keep up with the others (picturing something like Xanxus for Hitman Reborn where he charges he flames into guns and shoots).

I've always wondered why they didn't try taking Charlotte and Henry to the Witch Queen to see if she could do anything about them.

"I am the Queen. Why would I grant a wish to someone like you?" is what she says as she's about to use Asta to kill all of them.

Beyond there being the more pressing matter of finding devils due to Asta's pending execution, I don't know that the WQ is straight up an ally to them, willing to help anyone they bring to her for free. She just did favors to the Bulls and Diamonds that helped protect her forest. They weren't celebrated there like in the Underwater Temple. Realistically, she's probably only on amicable terms with Vanessa now, knowing she can't control her.

We don't know what happened in the timeskip though, maybe Vanessa took Henry there (Charlotte's busy in the Heart Kingdom).
But neither have shown an interest in breaking their curses anyway, Henry never even addressed it after the others learned, and the worst of it (Charlotte losing control of her magic at 18, Henry's loneliness) has passed for both.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Dark Angel Nero

I like that the CR sub uses "Lumiere" like the English manga instead of Tabata's romanization "Lemiel", which really doesn't make sense to me compared to "Lumiere" and makes me sigh every time I see it on the wiki. Though I would have preferred if they hadn't showed his name on screen when he was unsealed and did it like the manga where Licht's "Lumiere, please kill me" is the reveal of his name. Felt really impactful to me that with all the times we'd seen and heard of him, it was in that particular situation that we learned his name.

Also those mages bowing to Nero was funny.
-----------------------------
Random re-read thoughts:

-I'd love to see Asta, Mimosa and Zora team up again. Asta and Mimosa are cool together, Asta and Zora are cool together and I really like their dynamic in the tournament of Offense/Tank, Support/Healer and Strategist/Trickster. All 3 are in the Heart so it's possible for this arc.

-It's crazy how much more powerful Noelle is than Solid. In the tournament his snake spell looks pathetic compared to Noelle's dragon. I wonder if he's training hard now, he did say he'd catch up, and if we'll ever see the fruits of that. The royals that train hard are shown to be monsters.

-Always funny to re-read and see how much the anime extends the fights for the standout episodes. Ladros vs Black Asta is literally just Ladros getting scared/panicked and shooting a beam, Asta homing into the beam and cutting it then striking Ladros.
Yuno vs Rill is just Yuno doing one attack, Rill blocks it easily, Yuno transforms, beam clash then Rill breaks his own crystal.
Asta/Yuno vs Licht is the funniest considering how hype the episode is. Licht just grabs Asta's sword, does some energy slashes that knock Asta away then he's out, struggling to maintain his transformation, Yuno does two Spirit Storms and then Asta comes back for the final attack and the two get launched out of the HQ.

-Charlotte's curse is already broken for good, according to Yami's inner monologue during his fight with Charla. It's not even that her losing control was the worst of it and now it's still interfering with her magic and making her weaker or anything, losing control was it and the color of the roses is just a lingering effect.

-Still love the Valkyrie Armor moment. Especially appreciate the way that power-up comes about. I remember when I started the series, the way grimoires getting new spells was explained had me concerned they'd be get out of jail free cards but it ends up never really being that. In this case, Noelle takes into account the effects of her environment (can only manipulate creation magic close to the body), her mana skin training and conceptualizes a new spell based on that info that uses her powerful royal mana in a dense form then the grimoire just writes it down.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Secre is best girl by a mile. But Black Clover has so many great women in it. Some Mangakas could learn from Tabata

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Secre is best girl by a mile. But Black Clover has so many great women in it. Some Mangakas could learn from Tabata
She was an immediate favorite for me. It's rare that I love a character that quickly (though her being there all along helped).

Lumiere and Secre

-------------------
Re-read done, stray thoughts:

-Just love the devil fight, even more on re-reads than when following weekly. Might be my favorite in the series above Vetto. So much hype, so much good teamwork (Lumiere and Licht together were so good and I love the way Yuno kept trying to hype up Asta while also assisting him with his wind magic in clever ways), so emotional, so much good art and paneling. The Yami/Asta/Yuno page at the end of Ch.210 and Asta's final Black Divider are already all-time classics for me lol. ("Right here, right now, I'll surpass my limits", chills!!!)

-Also love every thing post-fight, from the elves and Lumiere's goodbyes (Lumiere and Licht get particularly emotional scenes, fittingly) to the end of Chapter 214.

-Damnatio is just way too handsome.

-Post-trial chapters are really fun. Asta's post-timeskip showcase is still hype as hell (Black Divider just brings the hype, goddamn. Would love to see a Mentor/Student Divider + Dimension Slash combo one day).

-Zeno just got way too much drip as he enters the Golden Dawn HQ.

Looking forward to the next chapter on Sunday. Really hope Yuno loses. Interestingly, it seems that even with the timeskip, Yuno's Spirit Dive is still weaker in the latest chapter than what he had in the devil fight thanks to Licht's son (the crowns on his head and arm are smaller, the transformation doesn't seem to change the left side of his body as much). Kid lost his buffs and the timeskip wasn't enough to catch up in this particular regard (unless he's holding back but he's got no reason to considering he saw dozens of his squad dead and transformed immediately) so it seems likely he'll lose.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not convinced there is any character stronger than Meroleona besides maybe regular Julius.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool Nero art:
------------------------
Something to look out for in the future: Yuno actually using his Magic Stone

The end of the last arc was a good opportunity for the author to get rid of Yuno's stone along with the others. If it didn't come back, I wouldn't have questioned it. But Tabata had Revchi/Gueldre pick it up so it could be returned to Yuno, which is nice for him cause it has sentimental value to him and it already served the purpose of helping Ralph recognize Yuno (though he would have anyway).

However, I think it's also still here maybe so that Yuno can actually use it one day. I say that because it's not only a temporary (I think) power boost but also because the main enemy of this arc is Megicula, a devil, and Yuno cannot harm devils. I'm imagining the Megicula fight to be much like the Word Devil one with multiple people teaming up and more specifically, multiple who can actually kill them (like Asta, Yami, Lumiere and Licht in the first one). Yuno couldn't actually harm a devil but if he uses a magic stone which is forbidden for humans, it might make him count as "affected" by the other world (like Secre and Lumiere) and thus able to kill a devil.

(I'm of course imagining Noelle in that Megicula fight as well and in her case, I think her mother being cursed while she was pregnant with her might make her count as "affected" and let her harm devils.)
I'm still not convinced there is any character stronger than Meroleona besides maybe regular Julius.
Among the captains, sure. I used to think she was the strongest, not so sure anymore, but I think no one surpasses her.

Regular Julius for sure though, lot of magic, very fast and can one-hit kill anything he actually feels like killing. Him trivializing any threat is probably why his whole thing happened, and what kept Clover the safest by far, as there are things that hint at him going to deal with Spade attacks.

Loropechika as well, given that she's said to have power to rival the Golden Dawn on her own.

Dark Triad folks gonna end up stronger than her for sure too.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very cool Nero art:
------------------------
Somethhing to look out for in the future: Yuno actually using his Magic Stone

The end of the last arc was a good opportunity for the author to get rid of that Yuno's stone along with the others. If it didn't come back, I wouldn't have questioned it. But Tabata had Revchi/Gueldre pick it up so it could be returned to Yuno, which is nice for him cause it has sentimental value to him and it already served the purpose of helping Ciel recognize Yuno (though he would have anyway).

However, I think it's also still here maybe so that Yuno can actually use it one day. I say that because it's not only a temporary (I think) power boost but also because the main enemy of this arc is Megicula, a devil, and Yuno cannot harm devils. I'm imagining the Megicula fight to be much like the Word Devil one with multiple people teaming up and more specifically, multiple who can actually kill him (Asta, Yami, Lumiere and Licht in the first one). Yuno couldn't actually harm him but if he uses a magic stone which is forbidden for humans, it might make him count as "affected" by the other world (like Secre and Lumiere) and thus able to kill a devil.

(I'm of course imagining Noelle in that Megicula fight as well and in her case, I think her mother being cursed while she was pregnant with her might make her count as "affected" and let her harm devils.)

Among the captains, sure. I used to think she was the strongest, not so sure anymore, but I think no one surpasses her.

Regular Julius for sure though, lot of magic, very fast and can one-hit kill anything he actually feels like killing. Him trivializing any threat is probably why his whole thing happened, and what kept Clover the safest by far, as there are things that hint at him going to deal with Spade attacks.

Loropechika as well, given that she's said to have power to rival the Golden Dawn on her own.

Dark Triad folks gonna end up stronger than her for sure too.

Be honest. You are Tabata aren't you?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

What could have been. Shame.
(I wonder if Dorothy didn't make a Dream Acier because she never met her or didn't want to hit Noelle with that).

Cool Mimosa art too.