Black Clover |OT| Far From Home

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
So this is neat

That is the Black Apple from Hungry Joker, Tabata's previous series in SJ. When the MC took a bite from it, he got gravity powers and gravity magic user Dante's mark is a nod to that. I hadn't even realized that at first.
So now we have current MC Asta going up against this world's version of Tabata's old MC lol.

(Another random neat Hungry Joker connection is how Noelle's predecessor in that used Steel powers. So both her predecessor in Shonen Jump and her in-universe predecessor, her mother, have steel powers)

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
(Interesting spell name btw, "Presence of the Demon King")

I've been thinking about this bit and it possibly seems obvious, I wasn't quite sure myself and the hype of finally seeing Gravity magic took over my brain so my mind went to Dante's Devil at first, but the "Demon King" in this instance probably isn't someone else but rather points to Dante himself. He is the "Demon King".

It's in line with the distinction there seems to be in the series between "Devil" and "Demon".
(I checked the Spanish chapter and the distinction there is "Diablo" and "Demonio". From the anime, I'm pretty sure the distinction in Japanese is "Akuma" and "Majin")

Here's a reminder on what so far it seems to have been like:

Devil/Akuma = Someone from the other world, they're probably born as devils

Demon/Majin = Someone from this world but affected by the other world
(Actually becoming a "demon" like Licht did is probably the final form of the Weg curse Julius mentioned)

(Licht became a "demon" when taking in negative mana and using forbidden magic, Patry became able to use "Demon Light Magic" after becoming corrupted into a Dark Elf.)

So Dante being the "Demon King" just ties back into this

(And reminder, their epithet in the anime was straight up "Demon Kingdom")

The "demons" there are just the people themselves, the Dark Triad (+ maybe the disciples counts), who use "devil power" but the devil/demon distinction is maintained.

All this to basically say that the name of the spell is not to point towards Dante's devil, Dante's just the demon king cause he rules the demon kingdom, Spade. But it's not confirmation that some devil king is within Dante (if there's a Devil King, they'd probably be in the other world).

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Demons might also be referring to "Arcane" spellcasters.
For some of them yeah.
I think not all Arcane Stage folks are demons but all "demons" (or those demon-like) are Arcane Stage. So Asta, Secre (they haven't been officially called demons yet but they have horns) and presumably the Dark Triad are arcane from having devils possessing them.

It will be clearer when Patry shows up again and we see if he's called Arcane or not. Presumably he would because his magic worked on the Word Devil's spells.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
So Captain Yami is the real mystery here.

Vangeance and Charlotte were cursed. Patri was turned into a Dank Elf. Pasta Salad is possessed, sort of. Yami...just has Shadow element stuff which can pierce demon magic? Okay. Cool. Cool.

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that's weird about "Arcane Stage" is that it applies to people in different circumstances. Basically, if we take it as "Arcane = Can kill devil", which makes sense given what Lolo told them and Yami then getting confirmed as one despite not being cursed or anything, then right now we basically have two types of Arcane Stages.

Inherently Arcane (special, unique magic attribute that happens to work on devils):
-Yami
-Julius
-Vanessa (She's called Stage Zero in the English version but it's apparently a mistranslation and it's "arcane" in the JP version. She's also called Arcane in the Spanish version btw)
-William?
-Nero?

Artificial Arcane (affected by the other world so their abilities work on devils):
-Asta
-Licht
-Lumiere
-Patry
-Nero?
-William?
-Charlotte??

(Not exhaustive, just examples off the top of my mind)

Question marks on William and Nero because I don't know for sure which one they'd count as. Zeno noted William's magic, saying "So that's World Tree Magic, is it? For the benefit of the Spade Kingdom, I'll take it", so I assume William's magic is inherently Arcane (it would make sense for it to be special cause no one else has World Tree magic) but he also has a curse so maybe it's from the curse (BUT it's a curse from birth so does it even matter?!?!).

Then for Nero, Lolo mentioned both her magic attribute AND the fact that she used forbidden magic. So no explicit distinction made.

That's why I want to see if Patry (because his magic was shown to be effective on a devil and unlike Lumiere/Licht, he's still here) and Charlotte (because she was cursed) are officially called "Arcane" or not.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dante's words about Vanessa's magic in this chapter is the clearest designation. Magic that goes against the Natural Order basically. That also coincides with Loro's explanation about Clover's use of unnatural magic.

As for those who are curse, It's hard to say. I think we'll get confirmation if Dante mentions anything about Henry in the next chapter or if Loro gives any sign of it. But it would be the best explanation for William since his magic (and Loro's) is natural.

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Luck to do this post-timeskip. I'd hope he reached this level due to his training in the Heart, or at least something close to it (since the Golden Dawn folks weren't able to match the strength of their elves yet). We should see if he can do it fairly soon.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Arc sure is moving. Even with 15 pg chapters

Noelle about to get Yuno'd
Asta gonna get Yuno'd
Vanessa Vangence'd

You hate to see it.

What in the world are Magna and Fake Xerx up to

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Luck to do this post-timeskip. I'd hope he reached this level due to his training in the Heart, or at least something close to it (since the Golden Dawn folks weren't able to match the strength of their elves yet). We should see if he can do it fairly soon.
Hnnnnng stop it’s too early for stimulation

also I coined the term yuno’d let it be known

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Hnnnnng stop it’s too early for stimulation

also I coined the term yuno’d let it be known
Oh don't worry, "getting Yuno'd" is canon now, updated my chapter thoughts to reflect that.
-----------------------
Btw, Dante was using a bit of his devil power already I think. "zzt" seems to be the sound effect for when that happens. But the fur on his coat didn't turn black like Zeno when fighting William so it wasn't that much (edit: it's subtle but it's his eyes that change). Gonna be interesting to see if he uses more now, how far he can actually take it and if Asta gets to go all out or if it's saved for later.

Last edited:

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017

(One of my favorite volume covers, Punished Patry)

After Mars, the character I want to see the most again is Patry. I'm very curious about what he and the remaining elves have been up to since the reincarnation was dealt with. I thought he'd likely be in the Golden Dawn cause he has ties to it but it looked like every GD member besides Mimosa and Langris was at the base during the attack so it's looking less likely (still possible he was just out). If he's not Golden Dawn, my best guess would be he's working directly under Julius and/or the Wizard King now.

And if there's some special, ANBU Black Ops-like, secret squad that reports to the Wizard King for Patry (and maybe the other elves) to be put in, and it's something we've seen already then it would probably be this:

(Ch. 1)
(Though there are also other mages who worked directly under the WK who just have generic robes)

Or maybe he's busy with something else, like figuring out the origins of the elves (though he maybe knows already). Whatever he's up to, I wanna see him again this arc cause I love the idea of him defending Clover as part of his atonement and it would be cool for him to go help save William. (Curious what his design would be too, maybe he's got an eyepatch or hides his black eye or doesn't mind showing it.)
---------------------------------
Btw, it's still unclear who actually is the Wizard King at the moment. Julius can't fight anymore so even though he could've kept the title to just give orders, it's likely he stepped down so that someone who's more fit for the job can take the seat (cause the Wizard King is first and foremost the leader of the military, sometimes on the front-lines). If Julius stepped down, I think the most likely WK candidate right now is Nozel. Though it's also possible he kept the job and just uses transformation magic (he presumably did that with an item cause it's not Time Magic so his single-page grimoire wouldn't affect that) to fool the people of the kingdom when he has to appear in public. That would also make sense cause it'd keep the idea of Asta having Fuegoleon and Nozel as rivals.

Oct 25, 2017
Just a black clover women appreciation post there’s a bunch more I could’ve shown too really one of my fav parts about the series was doing a reread and they do they thing every arc

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Just a black clover women appreciation post there’s a bunch more I could’ve shown too really one of my fav parts about the series was doing a reread and they do they thing every arc

And now there's Lolopechka and Vanica looking like promising additions to the cast.
--------------------

(Wonder the age gap actually is)

Last edited:

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017

There's a new version of OP 10, focusing on the Volume 23 stuff, from the aftermath of the war to right before the timeskip. Pretty cool update. I like the contrast between how somber the first version was due to the devil fight and flashback to how colorful this one is now that the fight is over. Cool to have a color scheme for Gadjah. And the Megicula/Acier and Dark Triad parts are hype, surprised they showed the latter cause Vanica and Dante aren't shown until after the timeskip. (Funnily enough, the posing for the Dark Triad part is inspired by a panel in Ch. 236 which only came out a month ago)

Mendrox

Oct 26, 2017

There's a new version of OP 10, focusing on the Volume 23 stuff, from the aftermath of the war to right before the timeskip. Pretty cool update. I like the contrast between how somber the first version was due to the devil fight and flashback to how colorful this one is now that the fight is over. Cool to have a color scheme for Gadjah. And the Megicula/Acier and Dark Triad parts are hype, surprised they showed the latter cause Vanica and Dante aren't shown until after the timeskip. (Funnily enough, the posing for the Dark Triad part is inspired by a panel in Ch. 236 which only came out a month ago)
Great OP update. Still feels surreal that we have so few chapters to animate now lol

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017

The map at the end of the OP just makes me more eager to see the Diamond to get involved lol. This arc seems to be presented as involving all the countries in this part of the world at once, with Clover/Heart teaming up, Diamond in shambles and Spade wrecking everyone so I'm really eager to learn more about the Diamond Kingdom. Maybe after Dante and Vanica complete their missions (with Vanica's being the scariest one cause she's just there to straight up kill people), some will be sent to the Diamond to get them to ally up before invading the Spade Kingdom itself and in the process, deal with whatever the Spade occupation there is and whatever problems the country already had.
(And I guess the Witch Queen could get involved too eventually cause Spade want every territory)

This international arc does also make me wonder a little about other countries in that world (putting aside the other world itself), like whatever is beyond Spade (the guidebook map didn't show borders and neither does this anime one so this isn't the full continent) and The Land of the Sun (presumably on the other side of the sea bordering Clover) though we probably won't find out about those for a while, if at all.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Just skimmed through todays episode...really wish we had the missing pieces to Yuno's origin story added as, it still doesn't make sense how he and Asta were dropped off at the same time, dressed in the same shirt and basket.

Also is interesting that Nero has been there since the beginning (when asta got beat up for yuno sake), reminds me of aizen having been watching Ichigo since the beginning... of the story.

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Just skimmed through todays episode...really wish we had the missing pieces to Yuno's origin story added as, it still doesn't make sense how he and Asta were dropped off at the same time, dressed in the same shirt and basket.

Also is interesting that Nero has been there since the beginning (when asta got beat up for yuno sake), reminds me of aizen having been watching Ichigo since the beginning... of the story.
They were just found there on the same day. We were never told they were dropped by the same people and Yuno being left with a precious necklace that turned out to be a magic stone along with having immense magic power seemed to separate his potential origin from Asta's from the start anyway imo.
Them being in the same shirt is an anime thing but doesn't really matter either way.

(Hell, Asta not appearing in Yuno's backstory at all made the idea of his origin more interesting to me, if we ever learn it. Did a family see some kid left at the church and just took the chance to leave their undesired magicless kid there as well? Or is it some grander thing?)

Nero being shown watching them as they were beat up is weird and contradicts the implication from the manga that she only started monitoring Asta after he got the grimoire she was looking after but she hung around that general area anyway (due to its history and it having Lumiere and Licht's remains) and Yuno has one of the magic stones she was looking for and could feel somehow so meh.

Silfer

Oct 27, 2017
Small but neat thing: Watching the updated version of OP10 and seeing the Dark Triad reminded me of something I was curious about. It turns out Zeno almost definitely is the "Ace of Spades".

From his intro in Chapter 227. This had me wondering if he was the Ace and so I was looking out for others who had special symbols and when Vanica was introduced, I thought her eyepatch debunked the idea but looking at the two again, her symbol isn't actually the same:

But what the OP update made me actually check again was the end of the last chapter:

I wasn't really paying attention to this when I read cause there was more important stuff going on but, no Spade symbol on his back.

So it's safe to say that Zeno is meant to represent the Ace of Spades. This would explain why he doesn't actually wear a crown like his siblings (and also why he lead the Diamond attack). Thus in terms of symbols we have:

Dante - Machiavellian (Demon) King
Vanica - Narcissistic Queen
Zeno - Psychopathic Ace

...Neat

---------------------------------------------

Btw, when I checked the chapter again for Dante, I saw that Viz updated it to correct what he says and he now calls Vanessa "arcane" as it was in Japanese/Spanish.

And speaking of Dante, I'm curious what he wants to do with William and Yami's magic.

In the last arc, William did a combo spell with Licht to be help connect and send off the elves and that made me think of what could happen with Yami's magic, more specifically "Dimension Slash". The thing about Dimension Slash is that...it doesn't actually cut through dimensions (or rather, it hasn't up to now), the name is just to say it cuts anything in its path including spatial magic. What would happen if it actually cut into William's World Tree magic? Something to look out for now that they not only have William but also that Dante "this world is too dull for us".

Regardless of what they plan to do though, if the plan isn't merely to secure Arcane folks who their devils are vulnerable against then how would they even put the Arcane magic of others to use? Do they have some way to manipulate them? Are they gonna torture them? Can they steal it somehow? Slightly leaning towards that last one for now because their Candela fortress absorbed magic from people to move so maybe they have something like that in mind that can somehow take someone's attribute. Remember Morris somehow made it so Mars had Fana's magic attribute in addition to his natural one.
(which I guess slightly increases the chance of Morris working with Spade lol)

(And also, Julius looking out after those two kids who had really special arcane magic is slightly suspicious too. Not in a "omg Julius is actually bad" way lol, just curious and now a bit more so with Spade wanting them for something and Julius not really punishing William that much)