• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

Yuno being accepted was nice, but also the flashback and showing hows hes smiling more and probably treating all his comrades like family was nice. Sad to see some of them dying and such :(

Curious what the true goal of the triad is as I dont think its necessarily as the bad guy said that everyone just wanted to fight, guess there has to be some goal beyond just conquering all lands.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Yuno era, damn.

I wanted to see him lose though, would've made an eventual win in the arc more satisfying. I suppose it makes sense he'd be able to take down whoever's right below the Dark Triad given he's a VC now.

It seems Spade wants Arcane stages in general and not just William. Guess they'll be looking for Asta and Nero as well.

I was kinda surprised to see Yuno kill him. Makes sense given what Gaderois did but I guess I figured Yuno shared Asta's no-kill policy. It's interesting to see. As is Yuno saying he doesn't care whether he changes things as part of Clover or Spade. I had hoped he wouldn't just accept ruling Spade as a possibility so quickly. Curious to see how he feels about the country once he sees them and if that really makes him decide he'll do more good joining them. Also curious to see how Asta will feel about learning about Yuno's past and him considering ruling there.

"I have no name to give to scum like you" and "I'll be the one to shut this down" are good lines, the latter being accompanied by a pretty cool panel.
----------------------------------
Something that's very weird to me about this chapter: reiterating that it has been 18 months since Yuno joined the Golden Dawn.
It was said in 234 and I figured it was just a mistake but here it is again. How has it been 18 months? I thought it was just a mistake because 18 months is, as far as I know, the time since Asta/Yuno got their grimoires and the author just got that mixed up.

We know from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2, there's a 6 month timeskip where they train until the exam.
Then at the Star Festival, Julius says it's been 6 months since Asta/Yuno joined the MK (Bulls and Golden Dawn).
1 week later, the Royal Knights Selection happens.
A few days later, the attack on the Midnight Sun HQ and the Great War happen.
Then shortly after the trial happens, they go to the Heart soon after and then we get a 6 month timeskip.

To me this means it's been 12ish months since they joined.
So where do the extra 6 months since they join the MK even come from? Or was the mistake somehow made twice (I hope that's it)? Or is that one GD guy just bad at counting.

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking since Yuno kinda struggled against this dude, his next fight will have him getting stomped. We still got another Spade Mage kicking around somewhere.

Also, Noelle and Mimosa better be Stage 0 and Stage 1 respectively if Yuno is Stage 0.

So where do the extra 6 months since they join the MK even come from? Or was the mistake somehow made twice (I hope that's it)? Or is that one GD guy just bad at counting.

Definitely a mistake. It does add up to 18 months if you count the 6 months they had prior to joining the Magic Knights. Tabata probably forgot where he placed the initial 6 months timeskip between the two beginning chapters.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the impression I now have because of this chapter is that the idea for Yuno's is akin to Zoro where he's simply not meant to lose fights until he faces Asta. Because though it makes sense for him to win here, this felt like a good opportunity to have him lose and for whatever reason not get killed. And thinking back on his track record, he's only lost against Licht and Mars, both fights in which Asta was involved and losing too so neither could get ahead. So I think unless he's fighting alongside Asta, he may just be meant to win everything so that Asta delivers him his first solid L.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking since Yuno kinda struggled against this dude, his next fight will have him getting stomped. We still got another Spade Mage kicking around somewhere.

Also, Noelle and Mimosa better be Stage 0 and Stage 1 respectively if Yuno is Stage 0.

Definitely a mistake. It does add up to 18 months if you count the 6 months they had prior to joining the Magic Knights. Tabata probably forgot where he placed the initial 6 months timeskip between the two beginning chapters.
At least him struggling here means he's not ready for a 1v1 against a Dark Triad, which is nice cause I'm hoping for team fights there. Would be cool if as Zeno leaves, presumably having achieved his objective, he just destroys Yuno on the way out lol. Then Yuno gets his post-timeskip hype and an L to motivate him.

Noelle may be 0, she was Stage 1 pre-timeskip.

And yeah I hope it's a mistake. Gonna wait and see if volume 24 changes it.

uh excuse me sir mimosa is stage 0 too
Lol take what you can get. She ain't on the Big 3 level.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
losing against some no name dude without any depth wouldn't have been satisfying at all though, further losing here would destory the golden dawn HQ which currently has like 0 named characters here beyond yuno so there would be no emotional tug of our heartstrings since no one any reader is emotionally attached to is here except Yuno.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
uh excuse me sir mimosa is stage 0 too

She's Stage 0 in our hearts, but in the story, we know that won't be the case.

At least him struggling here means he's not ready for a 1v1 against a Dark Triad, which is nice cause I'm hoping for team fights there. Would be cool if as Zeno leaves, presumably having achieved his objective, he just destroys Yuno on the way out lol. Then Yuno gets his post-timeskip hype and an L to motivate him.

This is why I'm a little okay with him winning against this guy. A loss usually follow this type of win. Zeno stomping Yuno easily would just be the best case scenario.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The manga does a better job of making Nero look different from the other anti birbs in Chapter 2.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, where is that other Dark Disciple? They weren't with Zeno and weren't with Gaderois when Yuno showed up so what could they be doing.
----------------------
ufk1WjTl.jpg

Small thing I like about the fights in this are the cut-in images like the one in the middle of this page. The first time it actually stood out to me was in the Noelle/Nozel vs Kivn fight when Noelle drowned Kivn, she released her field spell and Nozel attacked immediately. They just give a good sense of immediate reaction and here it feels like Yuno sees Gaderois prepare and quickly launches an attack before he's ready.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Eng voice for the demon is actually a great one, definitely more jovial than I was going for him, which makes him sound even more evil and vile to me.

For some reason I thought the dub had fell behind than usual 2 episodes its at compared to JPN, but I guess I was mistaken, 115dub vs 117sub.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Want my Post-Timeskip Noelle showcase now. Asta and Yuno got theirs, I want to see the queen too.

I assume Vol. 24 will go up to 239, which would mean we have three chapters left for its contents and I imagine we'll switch back to Asta/Heart within that time frame, maybe for 239 itself.
Eng voice for the demon is actually a great one, definitely more jovial than I was going for him, which makes him sound even more evil and vile to me.

For some reason I thought the dub had fell behind than usual 2 episodes its at compared to JPN, but I guess I was mistaken, 115dub vs 117sub.
Yeah I really love his voice. You can tell the VA was having fun in the booth.

The sub/dub gap has been kept the same, yeah. There was no episode last week because Asta's VA was sick, which may be what you were thinking of, but they uploaded two eps this week to make up for it.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
2020, the year of Yuno.

"I'll be the one to shut this down" can replace Yuno's wizard king line as his new catchphrase.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yuno has some classic Asta putdowns. He remains silent the rest of the time just so he can burn him.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love the latest episode! Lumiere vs Licht looked amazing! Gonna rewatch this one a lot.

The beginning was hype too. It was cool to see them do the intro in a different way now that we're in the moment where the truth is known. 117 episodes of watching that same intro again and again made the change here pretty impactful, and just adds to the fight overall. I remember getting tired of the intro in the past and then when the truth was revealed in the manga I was like "nah nevermind keep it please" haha.

Loved the performances in general too. Licht's voice actor particularly impressed, from his words to Lumiere before the wedding and as a demon, his reunion with Lumiere in the present and then his words to Patry. The way he manages to differentiate Patry and Licht is really cool.

I recommend watching this latest episode (118) even if you don't keep up with the anime.

Apparently, this was the directorial debut of Isuta Meister, an animator who shows up frequently in the series and has provided some of its best-looking cuts. He does not disappoint with this debut and I would love to see him at it again.
Episode trended in Japan, which he seems happy about:

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I did like the moment between Licht and Patri. Patri committed reprehensible crimes but he was manipulated by the Devil and Rhya hid the fact that Lumiere wasn't involved with the massacre so he's not completely irredeemable. Does Licht know that Yuno is possessed by his unborn son?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did like the moment between Licht and Patri. Patri committed reprehensible crimes but he was manipulated by the Devil and Rhya hid the fact that Lumiere wasn't involved with the massacre so he's not completely irredeemable. Does Licht know that Yuno is possessed by his unborn son?

I like that moment a lot. Throughout the arc I looked forward to Licht to waking up because I expected him to be like "Kid...the fuck?!" when he saw Patry because in the flashbacks he didn't feel like the kind to want what Patry was doing. Then the devil was revealed so I got even more curious to see him wake up and it did not disappoint. I like that he shows Patry he's there for him but makes it clear he messed up and people can't just forgive him, as Asta says before.

As for that question...my answer from an anime-only perspective would be "probably, yes". Remember Raia's already figured it out long ago and the elves can tell who each of them are just by their mana (how Raia and Droit immediately recognized Patry when they first saw him despite looking like Licht).

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

---------------------
I will miss my "NINGEN WA" a lot.
Gonna be weird not to hear it anymore. But can't complain, it did the job and the truth finally being animated makes me appreciate it way more.

(There's still the off chance that they keep using it I guess but man that would be silly and I hope not)

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I like that moment a lot. Throughout the arc I looked forward to Licht to waking up because I expected him to be like "Kid...the fuck?!" when he saw Patry because in the flashbacks he didn't feel like the kind to want what Patry was doing. Then the devil was revealed so I got even more curious to see him wake up and it did not disappoint. I like that he shows Patry he's there for him but makes it clear he messed up and people can't just forgive him, as Asta says before.

As for that question...my answer from an anime-only perspective would be "probably, yes". Remember Raia's already figured it out long ago and the elves can tell who each of them are just by their mana (how Raia and Droit immediately recognized Patry when they first saw him despite looking like Licht).

Seriously, why do so many shounen titles can't grasp that forgiveness has to be earned? So many villains who have pulled worse crimes than Patri are immediately forgiven. Naruto and Bleach are prime examples of this.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's an uncolored drawing of Asta at the end of Volume 14 that was made for the Jump cover from when the anime started and over the past few days I've been coloring it in different ways when I was bored and basically applied colors from other protagonists to Asta's design (think fighting game alts). The only real rule was that I couldn't take one color and turn in into two. So if a certain part was a solid color, it stayed that way. That applied to clothing and hair/eyes.
Can you guess who's who? (You probably can, should be obvious lol)

v7fYkfsl.jpg

So this is obviously good-old regular Asta, thought I'd at least do his normal colors. Nice and simple.

zt2aALXl.jpg

Second one I did, it was what I was the most eager to do. Think it turned out well enough. The only part I'm not too sure about are the shoes because they're the furthest from what Asta wears.

4dpEi1Ol.jpg

This is the one I'm the happiest with in terms of how simple it was to adapt to Asta's design. This looks like a fighting game alt I would actually pick because I like when alts don't change the hair/eyes (then it feels like a different person) and this is the closest to looking like Asta just put on different clothes. (hair/eyes still different of course, just less so than the others)

kqIrZHMl.jpg

This was a pretty hard one. This one is where the "1 color stays 1 color" rule had a big effect, as seen in the hair. This character's hair has more black than green in it but green evokes the character more imo so I went with that. But it was still hard to get a satisfying color, still not fully satisfied with it tbh. The outfit I'm more satisfied with but it was a compromise. The green I wanted at first was more like what the character has nowadays but I couldn't do it without looking to close to the hair so I instead chose the color of his initial outfit (which still required me to mix some weird colors haha).

R8s0h7ql.jpg

Another hard one to do, where the rule had the biggest effect. Once again for this character, I chose the highlight hair color instead of the main hair color. For the headband I chose the colors of his accessory but in hindsight the main hair color might've worked too. The pants and shirt color were pretty hard to find and I almost gave up and just went for black but his outfit isn't exactly black so it didn't feel right. Satisfied with the color I ended up with.

The process itself was inspired by fighting game alts but it was actually after seeing this lovely art that I thought I'd do this. It was fun and relaxing to do, might try again with a different base character.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an uncolored drawing of Asta at the end of Volume 14 that was made for the Jump cover from when the anime started and over the past few days I've been coloring it in different ways when I was bored and basically applied colors from other protagonists to Asta's design (think fighting game alts). The only real rule was that I couldn't take one color and turn in into two. So if a certain part was a solid color, it stayed that way. That applied to clothing and hair/eyes.
Can you guess who's who? (You probably can, should be obvious lol)

v7fYkfsl.jpg

So this is obviously good-old regular Asta, thought I'd at least do his normal colors. Nice and simple.

zt2aALXl.jpg

Second one I did, it was what I was the most eager to do. Think it turned out well enough. The only part I'm not too sure about are the shoes because they're the furthest from what Asta wears.

4dpEi1Ol.jpg

This is the one I'm the happiest with in terms of how simple it was to adapt to Asta's design. This looks like a fighting game alt I would actually pick because I like when alts don't change the hair/eyes (then it feels like a different person) and this is the closest to looking like Asta just put on different clothes. (hair/eyes still different of course, just less so than the others)

kqIrZHMl.jpg

This was a pretty hard one. This one is where the "1 color stays 1 color" rule had a big effect, as seen in the hair. This character's hair has more black than green in it but green evokes the character more imo so I went with that. But it was still hard to get a satisfying color, still not fully satisfied with it tbh. The outfit I'm more satisfied with but it was a compromise. The green I wanted at first was more like what the character has nowadays but I couldn't do it without looking to close to the hair so I instead chose the color of his initial outfit (which still required me to mix some weird colors haha).

R8s0h7ql.jpg

Another hard one to do, where the rule had the biggest effect. Once again for this character, I chose the highlight hair color instead of the main hair color. For the headband I chose the colors of his accessory but in hindsight the main hair color might've worked too. The pants and shirt color were pretty hard to find and I almost gave up and just went for black but his outfit isn't exactly black so it didn't feel right. Satisfied with the color I ended up with.

The process itself was inspired by fighting game alts but it was actually after seeing this lovely art that I thought I'd do this. It was fun and relaxing to do, might try again with a different base character.
Your drawings are amazing do a asta and zenitsu so I can avatar it 👀

I also really really like the naruto one like a lot put ya stamp on it so I can save it

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Your drawings are amazing do a asta and zenitsu so I can avatar it 👀

I also really really like the naruto one like a lot put ya stamp on it so I can save it
LMAO. I didn't draw this dude, wish I could draw 1% as well as this, it's just art from Tabata that wasn't colored so I felt like coloring it different ways.

Can do a Zenitsu color scheme tho if you want. I'll let you know when I do.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lmfao goddamit all that praise....well nice coloring and plZ do
As requested, Asta with Zenitsu colors.
This one was pretty tricky because Zenitsu doesn't have a lot of color going on but the annoying thing is he has gradiants everywhere, in his hair, eyes, clothes, everywhere. Chose to just have the colors of the design get more orange as it goes down, except for the headband which instead represents the orange ends of his hair.
Not sure if this screams "Zenitsu" but I think it's a nice look for Asta (which I guess speaks to the colors chosen for Zenitsu being good despite how few are being used).

Oct 25, 2017
As requested, Asta with Zenitsu colors.
This one was pretty tricky because Zenitsu doesn't have a lot of color going on but the annoying thing is he has gradiants everywhere, in his hair, eyes, clothes, everywhere. Chose to just have the colors of the design get more orange as it goes down, except for the headband which instead represents the orange ends of his hair.
Not sure if this screams "Zenitsu" but I think it's a nice look for Asta (which I guess speaks to the colors chosen for Zenitsu being good despite how few are being used).
Love it thank you

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing that the Sol is the only black character in Black Clover.
Yes it would be nice to have more.

Maybe, there is a kingdom in Black Clover that is an equivalent of the Cloud Village from Naruto.
It's possible. Clover and the kingdoms around it seem to represent Europe so maybe there are countries west of those that represent other places, or maybe overseas like Yami's Land of the Sun which represents Japan.

World Map
(Don't worry, no manga spoilers here. This was released in a guidebook well before the part of the story the anime is in.)

The Diamond Kingdom actually had a black guy shown among its strongest mages so maybe there are more black people there. Or maybe he's like Yami.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Favorite Characters Updated

Yami Sukehiro
Zora Ideale
Nozel Silva
Licht
Charmy Pappitson
Mars
Vanessa Enoteca
Mereoleona Vermillion
Mimosa Vermillion
Charla

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Favorite Characters Updated

Yami Sukehiro
Zora Ideale
Nozel Silva
Licht
Charmy Pappitson
Mars
Vanessa Enoteca
Mereoleona Vermillion
Mimosa Vermillion
Charla

Nice list. If they're ordered by preference then I'm surprised but happy to see Nozel and Mars so high.

For me it would be:

Noelle
Asta
Yami
Mereoleona
Zora
Finral
Fuegoleon
Charmy
Nozel
Patry

But that bottom 5 could change depending on my mood. Many characters I like a lot at this point.