• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Noelle is alright but her tsundere schtick gets old.

I really do enjoy her character a lot more when she's not doing that.

My faves are:
Patry & The Third Eyes
The entire Vermillion Clan (Though Leo is meh)
Asta
Zora
Charmy
Klaus

That's probably it. I get a few flavor of the months now and again, but these are constant. Loro will probably be added with more time.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I will never get tired of Zora beating down Magic Knight assholes.

Klaus, Finral, Vetto (Human Form), Rades, and Ladros deserve honorable mentions.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

--------------------------
I'm curious to see how Yuno is handled this arc. He was told The Dark Triad overthrew his family back home and that didn't mean much to him because he'd spent his whole life in Clover but now they're imposing on his Clover life as well, killing much of his squad and clearly getting a reaction out of him. I'm interested in seeing how what has happened, and what may still happen in the coming chapters I guess, motivate him going forward. I kinda got some "budding anti-hero" vibes from those last few pages of Ch.236, especially cause of that "the world gets warped because it has people like you in it" and then the fairly brutal kill (maybe not the first kill of his, depends on if that Diamond guy he impaled in Kiten actually died or was just captured later, but this is one of the more gruesome kills in the series). Asta got mad at that military captain and his goons too but I don't think he killed them, as per his policy. I don't see how it would for now considering they're still on the same side but maybe Yuno going to a darker place in this arc is what eventually one day leads to his fight with Asta (or maybe it'll be for a different reason and Yuno's not actually becoming that dark).

Whatever happens, besides him accepting a potential Spade role this quickly (even if he hasn't made a decision just yet), so far I like what's been done with Yuno post-timeskip.

Also, with how much of a split Asta/Yuno focus has been seen post-timeskip, I wonder if the cover of Volume 24 will be an homage to Volume 1 which only had the two of them on it (kinda like One Piece Vol. 1 and 61) or be completely different. Looking forward to seeing it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The best characters are the ones we all truly love

Solid Silva
Nebra Silva
Dear Sweet Langris
Revchi
Gifso

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Nebra is an asshole though. The only reason people hate Solid more is that he got his ass kicked and still didn't repent.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason people hate Solid more is that he got his ass kicked and still didn't repent.
If people dislike Solid more as I do, I would say it's more to do with how he simply had way more screen-time than Nebra. Compared to Nozel who wasn't even as bad as the other two when he was being distant with Noelle but ended up apologizing while also getting cool moments unrelated to the family drama and Solid who has been on screen more than Nebra and always the most proactive in his mistreatment of Noelle, Nebra hasn't been on screen that much, is always with one of her siblings when she is and is always just backup to Solid when he's talking shit rather than being the main one to insult. She's barely been a character outisde of the family drama and within in, she's just that girl who also hates Noelle but hasn't had that be a focus as much as Solid, leading to Solid being even easier to dislike while she's just there.

TL;DR: Solid just got even more chances to show just how much he hates Noelle than Nebra.

Though at least Solid has now accepted he's weaker and declared he'd catch up, which is nice. But that means Nebra will probably just go with the flow again and join the other two in accepting Noelle while remaining unremarkable herself, with that recognition not coming from any moment specifically between her and Noelle.
(or maybe she'll still hold a grudge...)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Been rewatching/rereading the anime/manga lately and while Nozel isn't physically abusive as the other two are his words are what hurts and shapes Noelle the most. He wants her dead because he blames her for his mother's death and says as much to her face. Now he did come to terms with it in an honest manner and now believes in her but he was the one that caused most of her problems to begin with. Not a curse, not physical abuse, but verbal abuse to a vulnerable young child that shattered her confidence and fed into a cycle of her failure to control magic.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been rewatching/rereading the anime/manga lately and while Nozel isn't physically abusive as the other two are his words are what hurts and shapes Noelle the most. He wants her dead because he blames her for his mother's death and says as much to her face. Now he did come to terms with it in an honest manner and now believes in her but he was the one that caused most of her problems to begin with. Not a curse, not physical abuse, but verbal abuse to a vulnerable young child that shattered her confidence and fed into a cycle of her failure to control magic.
He never wanted her dead though. He tried to keep her away from battle cause he thought she was too weak and went about it in a terrible way that absolutely made him a horrible fucking brother to her but he didn't want her dead. Nor does he actually blame her for Acier's death, he's the only one in that family who actually knows why she died, he just told her that as part of his again terrible strategy.

Incidentally, I would like to see their father now. He only shows up silhouetted in a flashback but certainly did some damage too so I'm curious to see how he'd react to Noelle now (especially now that she's actually inherited the spell that got his wife her nickname), and also just what he's been up to, if anything.

Did Zora ever confront the people who were responsible for his father's death?
I don't think so. If he did, that wasn't shown as far as I know.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I think Asta has all of Naruto's strengths, but with none of his weaknesses. Especially with Part 2 Naruto is taken into consideration.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Asta really grown on me over the serialization. Any character who is always shouting (hey, at least it is almost always positive things he is shouting) and has a catchphrase about not giving up isn't going to fare well online (and that's not entirely unwarranted). Favorite Asta moment is the scene where he talks about building the kingdom as a place without discrimination crossing with WK's definitive death. Sure it's simple, but sometimes it is nice just to have a positive message like that.

What really unlocks him for me is when I realized that despite how he seems, he is actually acting as the straight man in like 85% of the comedy character interactions (there are exceptions like when with Yuno of course) and holding the whole series together.

I'm glad Asta has gone on to directly inspire other shonen protagonists who have been more well received like Emma from Promised Neverland. Undeniable that she was created with Asta in mind between being an orphan, wanting to save everyone, and having no magic.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love how Asta just has his goal and his story is more about him affecting the people/world around him than being affected by them, no matter what happens to him that may test his ideals. He reminds me of Luffy in that sense. And his ambition of ending the discrimination he grew up facing is a respectable one. It also works well with this story and the world he's in and can be worked into the conflicts easily, with Ch. 230 already suggesting it will play into this Spade arc when he tells the captain "Sacrificing citizens for the sake of the country? What kind of prosperity is that?!" (as part of his most badass looking panel in the whole damn series) before destroying the fortress.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017

There we go, loved seeing Klaus and Letoile and evn William suggesting everyone use their elves power. Taking down these two or so baddies at the Golden Dawn was amazing.

not expecting them to win now that the true big baddie arrived, imo.

Though I guess Silver Eagle or another brigade will show up.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yoooo Klaus showing up!!!! You love to see it.
I like that Disciple's power, attacking from the mist, and it seems he did a fair bit of damage too (rip Hamon, damn). I was afraid Klaus was gonna die too but thankfully Yuno showed up. Nice little teamwork between Letoile and Klaus. Happy to see the former again as her power is cool and Klaus' last finisher was pretty hype. (Nice little callback to Asta motivating him to train his body).

Seems William lost and got caught (all his limbs impaled too, damn) with Zeno not looking like he struggled. Is Zeno stomping Yuno next week as I hoped? Will help come before he can actually kill them or will he just bounce and leave them alive?
(And will he recognize Yuno since he looks like the king he helped kill?)

With the way this chapter ends, I think it's likely next week finishes this Golden Dawn focus and 239 brings us back to Asta for the presumed end of Vol.24's chapters.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Important to note, Zeno did the job not just with ease apparently but also with his hands still in his pockets. No respect.

What? Klaus and Letoile still have Elf mana?
"A little" of the elves' magic remained in the possessed it seems. But they're not as powerful for now.
Yuno bout to hold this L this is it this the moment
For sure. Zeno swatting him like a fly on his way out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
ep118

BLack Clover animators are really using effects to their fullest potential, episode 118 had some pretty beautiful moments.

Also secre should always be on the top of the list for best femchar in BC,

Awesome action and YunoAsta quick attack was amazing.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's been suggested here and elsewhere that Morris may have ties to Spade and these recents events have made this old panel from the Kiten fight aftermath more curious:
I2ZbHO2l.jpg

So this just seemed like he was a magic nerd like Julius (which btw, the idea of all the leaders being magic nerds is something I love but unfortunately Loro doesn't quite seem to be that). But him being like "World Tree Magic, hm?" may hint that he's at least interested in the power like the Triad is or understands it's uniquely useful (don't think we know if Diamond uses the "magic stages" terminology). I don't take it too mean he's in cahoots with Spade or anything but this panel is just a bit more interesting now in hindsight.

Btw, Zeno taking out William so easily makes me feel better about him taking out those two Diamond generals who are captain-level.
Wonder how the real fight with him will go. It would be interesting to see Luck in there, either still scared by his magic but still rising to the occasion or more confident following his training.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Bruh when Zeno finally takes out his hands...
(or maybe we only see them out when he loses lol, could be cool too)

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Yuno cannot stop winning. About to take Zeno and shut down this war.

Pleasantly surprised about the amount of Klaus this chapter. Some nice moments. Wish we weren't already so in the thick of the next giant saga but we should see a bit of lull (in the case that Yuno does not in fact shut it down)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Seems a new Bleach animated project is being announced soon (along with a new Kubo work). Might be that rumored Burn the Witch OVA or could be a TV anime, or both maybe. Talking about this here because a new Bleach TV anime could end up replacing Black Clover's current anime run and mean this run would end this year, which is something I would like. Bleach has a common producer with BC (TV Tokyo) and it seems it had a similar timeslot (Tuesday 18:00 JST compared to Tuesday 18:25 JST for Black Clover) so I can see it taking over BC's timeslot.

I'd like the anime to end its run this year because there isn't enough manga material to extend it for a fourth year without having a lot of filler and/or considerably slowing down the pacing (Ideally for me it'd stop right before the timeskip and a new run would pick back up there). So I'm curious to see if this new Bleach project may tie into that.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Would be very surprised if the anime continues on for a fourth year.
Only 30 chapters back with 30 or so episodes to go.

Wonder if they will plan on a bunch of anime original content for the time skip or just really slow things down.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The next episode is called Final Attack. So, is this the penultimate episode to the Elf Invasion arc?

Yes

Seems a new Bleach animated project is being announced soon (along with a new Kubo work). Might be that rumored Burn the Witch OVA or could be a TV anime, or both maybe. Talking about this here because a new Bleach TV anime could end up replacing Black Clover's current anime run and mean this run would end this year, which is something I would like. Bleach has a common producer with BC (TV Tokyo) and it seems it had a similar timeslot (Tuesday 18:00 JST compared to Tuesday 18:25 JST for Black Clover) so I can see it taking over BC's timeslot.

I'd like the anime to end its run this year because there isn't enough manga material to extend it for a fourth year without having a lot of filler and/or considerably slowing down the pacing (Ideally for me it'd stop right before the timeskip and a new run would pick back up there). So I'm curious to see if this new Bleach project may tie into that.

That...makes a ton of sense and would make me happy. Bleach stans would get their end animated and Black Clover won't get touched by SP fillers hands and be broken again. Bleach could also run for a year.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this episode is so hype!!! Absolutely loved it. I'm so happy they did the end of the fight justice, those last few minutes starting with when Yami readies his attack are by far the what has had me the most excited since the adaptation began. Had me emotional too, with Yami's flashback and especially Nero looking back on all that Asta has did and saying "You're gonna be the Wizard King, aren't you". The final attack looked spectacular. Love it so much.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
omg todays (well today since Ive nearly worked a 22 hour workday) episode

Omg this anime making me get so teary eyed all over again, all those scenes before Asta surpasses his limit when Secre is putting all her trust in him and reminded him of everything.

BLack Clover makes me feel so good, Asta is my hero!!!

And using the first song again, wow

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Omg this anime making me get so teary eyed all over again, all those scenes before Asta surpasses his limit when Secre is putting all her trust in him and reminded him of everything.
Yeah I was getting teary eyed at that too. Kid's come a long way. And it really hits because of how it emphasizes Secre was there with him the whole time and those are the things that made her believe in him more and more. The shot where Lumiere is in her eye then she blinks and it's Asta is just beautiful.

And I just love Haruka Mirai as an insert. Works so well as Asta's theme song and it was both touching and incredibly hype here.

The episode just made me love Asta even more. He's a great one.

Also props to Sakura Ayane, voice of Nero. She nailed it this episode and her performance is also a big part of what made that moment powerful to me.

Last edited:

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I'm starting to think Rill is an underappreciated character. I know people think Rill is annoying but he is one of the few captains who didn't despise Asta for being a commoner. He immediately wanted to befriend Asta. It's a shame Rill never faced Luck in the Royal Knights Selection Exam.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know people think Rill is annoying
They do?
It's a shame Rill never faced Luck in the Royal Knights Selection Exam.
He did. Took care of Luck's team's spell real quickly lol. Unless you mean a more serious, all-out fight.

But yeah Rill is cool, I like him. His power to recreate any element is really OP and allows for some fun stuff, and I like his personality and as you say his immediate acceptance of Asta.

Not that many captains who actually disliked Asta though. The only one I think could be said to have disliked him was Nozel when he didn't accept his presence at the gathering (and Gueldre who got caught because of Asta). But Rill does stand out in that country as not being a prejudiced noble pretty much from the very start.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
They do?

He did. Took care of Luck's team's spell real quickly lol. Unless you mean a more serious, all-out fight.

But yeah Rill is cool, I like him. His power to recreate any element is really OP and allows for some fun stuff, and I like his personality and as you say his immediate acceptance of Asta.

Not that many captains who actually disliked Asta though. The only one I think could be said to have disliked him was Nozel when he didn't accept his presence at the gathering (and Gueldre who got caught because of Asta). But Rill does stand out in that country as not being a prejudiced noble pretty much from the very start.

He still doesn't realize that Charmy is the dream girl who saved him?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He still doesn't realize that Charmy is the dream girl who saved him?
I guess you heard about recent his recent manga appearance then. He hasn't been seen since that cause the focus turned to other characters after that so as far as we know, yeah he still doesn't realize Charmy saved him.

It's kinda funny there are really only 3 people who saw Charmy's other form.
--------------------

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
N1wOBBH.jpg

Almost ashamed that it's taken me over two years to realize this ("almost" because they never released this damn LN here so it's not like I see its cover that often) but the covers of Volume 7 and Light Novel 1 line up! (...except for the sword)
I like the cover of LN1. Kinda funny how Fanzell looks like he's fiddling on a phone. I assume that's his grimoire pattern on there.
Both were released on the same day in Japan and its in Vol. 7 that Tabata says the LN characters would show up later in the manga.

Anyway, looking forward to whenever those characters come back in the manga, along with Mars/Fana/Ladros. The situation of these Diamond allies is one of the things I'm most curious about for this arc.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It would've been funny if he made a declaration like this at the Star Festival.

I wonder if this old illustration suggests Nero is supposed to be a part of the harem.
It will be interesting to see Fana meet her elf counterpart in the possible future.
It'll be weird for sure. Especially cause they're the only human/elf counterparts who share the same name (wonder if there's some reason/significance to that cause it's weird).

Btw, with the arc almost over in the anime (and the shadow of filler looming), have you considered reading the manga or do you plan to stay anime-only?

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I will only accept Mimosa, Secre, or Rebecca as the end game. Their interactions with Asta are the most interesting.

Besides, Asta already blends in perfectly with the eccentric clan that is the Vermilions.