• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. This is not what I meant when I said I hoped Yuno would lose...

This chapter is really interesting. I was curious about who was the one Yuno saw in his flashback because the silhouette, and hands looking in their pockets, suggested Zeno but I figured Dante would lead the attack so I was unsure. Interesting that Zeno could just lead that, though consistent with him leading these attacks on Diamond and Golden Dawn. Is he the strongest among the Triad? Is he the weakest but strong enough so the other two don't bother? Does he just like looking for smoke?
(This also means he's got 4 more disciples besides the two that lost here, presumably stronger than those two and presumably Dante/Vanica have their own).

Bell being scared too is very surprising, not even Licht did that. The importance that devils are getting as power boosts makes me more okay with how Clover has 2/4 great spirits cause evidently, there are other ways to keep up.

Speaking of devils, I like the confirmation that Zeno's devil isn't even Megicula. Gaderois' explanation left it a bit vague, only saying Zeno was "possessed by the devil", and it didn't feel like Megicula would be that (probably not possessing any of them or possessing King Dante). Julius describing the Spade kingdom as "country of demons" and "served by the ancient evils" as well as Loro saying Gaja got his scar from a "devil", but not saying Megicula even though they were the topic, already suggested as much but now we know: multiple devils over there. Makes me wonder how they were summoned and how they tie into that country, cause folks there were already familiar with devils at the time when Ciel was king.

(Btw, still don't know if these devils are showing up as Stands/Personas or if they just represent the user's aura like with the captains way back when but I love this either way)

I like that Zeno's hands came out of his pockets only to finish the job and kill the last of the old monarchy, while revealing his cool devil form (an honor even William didn't get, the white fur on Zeno's coat becoming black when facing William suggests Zeno only used a little bit of his devil's power against him).

That end though...is he dead? I think given the way the panel looked and the way Yuno reacted, Klaus and Letoile were killed (fucking hell man) and again, Zeno himself did say "get William, kill the rest" and so it'd be surprising for him of all people to not do that and that panel sure looks like someone who died but...can he actually be dead?

I thought that Ch. 228's title The Beginning of Hope and Despair" meant Yuno would be "Despair" and everything all the way up to his last scream lined up with that but now? I don't know. Still has that magic stone, maybe someone will use that.

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
How dare Tabata!

I'm not convinced this is it for Yuno but Klaus might be done.....

Going to be emotional to see Ralph's reaction next week.

Excellent art!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced this is it for Yuno but Klaus might be done.....
Oh Klaus is dead dead.

Yuno tho, besides being the second MC, looking more closely actually is just "dying" for now (like how all the ones who fought Gaderois looked dead but he said half of them were only close to death).

His grimoire is still there on the last page, seemingly not even having begun disintegration like what Fuegoleon and Julius had. Maybe that suggests he will "despair" for real.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice parallel between Zeno and William here
oZn9M4Fm.jpg

(Kiten invasion)

All
9NBKeg3m.jpg

Not the only one there's been between those two events, as Zeno and co.'s entrance was made to look like how the GD came into Kiten in paneling and framing.
sKbqnwQl.png

fmYI0WPl.png

Helped sell the idea of how bad Golden Dawn was gonna get wrecked here, considering that's just what they did in Kiten, and also how they're crushing their symbol as the strongest of the Clover Kingdom. Very curious to see what the reaction will be to all this.

Anyway, still can't believe this chapter. Also still can't get over how cool Zeno's Devil Trigger looks. Those bone wings!!

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
Really awesome chapter, really wish tabata had done a page at least with Asta feeling something or sensing something when Yuno got hit like that. I'm sad.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which do you think Zeno would be of these three?
en.wikipedia.org

Dark triad - Wikipedia

Really awesome chapter, really wish tabata had done a page at least with Asta feeling something or sensing something when Yuno got hit like that. I'm sad.
You were right btw. I'm glad Yuno didn't lose against Gaderois so that he could get stomped here, so much more impact from this L. And now there's direct setup for a proper payback against one of the main villains themselves.

It'd be cool to see Asta's reaction to this next week (I still think we'll be switching back since next chapter should be the end of Vol.24). Loro should be able to see all this with her magic.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
With Klaus either dead or gravely injured the new top spot in Asta's Harem opened up. I'm betting on Sally taking out Noelle and Mimosa to become the new Harem King.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
i doubt klaus or william are dead, compass girl as well...if someone as injured as Finral was can bounce back up they can too.

Im sure all the other randoms and no names are though.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're right but man did that actually look brutal.

Either that or everyone is actually dead and they'll be some Pein style bullshit revival.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
After Yuno's first mission, Klaus became such a likable character. If he's dead, I'm going to be so disappointed. Sadly, Letoile barely had a role in the manga aside from being possessed by an elf.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i doubt klaus or william are dead, compass girl as well...if someone as injured as Finral was can bounce back up they can too.

Im sure all the other randoms and no names are though.
William that isn't even suggested, they came here to capture him.
And Finral had a healer on him immediately. All these folks with fatal wounds have no one.
If Ralph has healing magic, he's gonna prioritize Yuno.
Either that or everyone is actually dead and they'll be some Pein style bullshit revival.
Or...maybe they're just dead. It's not like Pain where many main characters died. The only kinda important character that can be presumed dead here is Klaus. The rest are just dead for Yuno's development, they aren't necessary to the plot.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the author comments it seems the author of the Guardian of the Witch series that launched today is a former assistant of Tabata. Neat! I think it's the second or third Tabata assistant to get jump series serialized. Definitly see some similarities in the swords/effects.

Anime should end on this chapter.
Oh Klaus is dead dead.

Yuno tho, besides being the second MC, looking more closely actually is just "dying" for now (like how all the ones who fought Gaderois looked dead but he said half of them were only close to death).

His grimoire is still there on the last page, seemingly not even having begun disintegration like what Fuegoleon and Julius had. Maybe that suggests he will "despair" for real.
Missed the grimoire. Good catch. Yuno has to live to shut this down another day.

Zeno seems like Machiavellianism for the dark triad post to me so far.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the author comments it seems the author of the Guardian of the Witch series that launched today is a former assistant of Tabata. Neat! I think it's the second or third Tabata assistant to get jump series serialized. Definitly see some similarities in the swords/effects.

Yup, there's no assistants page for Volume 1 but they show up on that from Vol.2 to Vol.10. Here's a chapter appropriate drawing of theirs from one of those pages:
STarpiMm.jpg

(Leaked pic from the afterlife...)

Yuno has to live to shut this down another day.
Exactly.
----------------------
Something I'm more curious about with this chapter are the demon power percentages. When Gaderois was kindly explaining it all for no reason, I figured they just alternated between "Normal form" and "Devil power" with the latter being at a set percentage based on who's using it but now apparently Zeno only used 55% to finish Yuno when he can go up to "80%".
It's interesting cause the way Zeno looks at 55% means Asta's probably at a similar 50ish% level and also curious that Zeno "only" goes up to 80%. What happens past that? Is 100% the devil taking over your body? Cause that's what Asta's devil wants to do to him and this may give some insight into how that happens.

(Btw I saw someone on Twitter say the % thing might be inspired by Younger Toguro in HxH and I can buy that considering Hiei's Evil Eye directly inspired the Third Eye in this)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some ppl hate it but I love me a good powerscale number mechanic lol
For me it depends, I'm iffy on vague numbers for power levels but I don't mind the percentage thing here, it's just something simple to keep track of. Now that we know more, when he actually busts out 80% (and pulls that second hand from his pocket), that could be hype.

Reminds me of when they got in the Heart Kingdom, when Finral did something and Gaja was like "hmm, that's third stage or so" I was like "what the fuck is this" and got concerned lol. Thankfully, we didn't have to deal with the idea of rising through many "stages" and most of the fighters/soldiers are already high up. (which makes sense considering the ranking has to include literally everyone in that world including weak ass kids since everyone uses magic)

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Something I'm more curious about with this chapter are the demon power percentages. When Gaderois was kindly explaining it all for no reason, I figured they just alternated between "Normal form" and "Devil power" with the latter being at a set percentage based on who's using it but now apparently Zeno only used 55% to finish Yuno when he can go up to "80%".
It's interesting cause the way Zeno looks at 55% means Asta's probably at a similar 50ish% level and also curious that Zeno "only" goes up to 80%. What happens past that? Is 100% the devil taking over your body? Cause that's what Asta's devil wants to do to him and this may give some insight into how that happens.

I think what we've seen of Asta might be lower than 50%. Mainly because I think the darkness will spread across the body more the higher percentage you use. Zeno even popped a second horn, which we've yet to see from Asta.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think what we've seen of Asta might be lower than 50%. Mainly because I think the darkness will spread across the body more the higher percentage you use. Zeno even popped a second horn, which we've yet to see from Asta.
Zeno's horn on the other side, along with the white wing, looked like it's just his bone magic to me and I thought it made sense if "55%" means the devil form is only affecting half his body, like how it does with Asta. Cause I think the black color is the predominant sign of devil power (edit: he even has a little of bit black aura on his right wing suggesting to me that that's more the ">50%" part of the transformation than the right wing/horn themselves), with new features coming second and always being black (Cause when Asta grows a second wing and horn in the Word Devil fight, those are still on the right side of his body).

Though I guess it could still be the devil because the shape matches his devil's horns but then it's still weird to me that it isn't black. But maybe for Zeno's devil form (or past 50% in general) the new features start being formed first before the color bleeds over to the other side. Have to wait until we hear someone give a % for Asta to be sure I suppose.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Cool Zeno art. Looking forward to the rematch with him cause I like him a lot already. Yuno's probably in that fight, Mimosa would make sense too. Maybe Langris will join in as well, depends on how Clover reacts to this and if they decide to send more people to fight against Spade, beyond the ones in Heart, or hold their defenses.

Hope next chapter brings us back to Heart and we maybe see some reactions from there. Also would be nice to finally see Zora, Charlotte and Nero.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried about Zora getting nerfed and being reduced to a background character.
I wouldn't worry about that for now. He's one of the few characters in the cast who's known to be relevant this arc cause he was sent to train with Asta and co. He just hasn't been seen yet cause the Golden Dawn wrestled screen time away from everyone to show themselves getting wrecked.
Also Klaus is so dead it ain't even funny. :(.
Shit legit went through his heart it looks like, and he was already injured before.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ArgyleReptile
I looked back on some old panels and I grossly overestimated how high Asta's devil trigger percentage should be lmao. So far, the time where he looks to have used the most power was after the word devil showed up and in the clearest look at that I know of, the aura is only on his right side sure but only affects his right upper body, unlike Zeno whose leg is affected too.
LtpQWsgm.jpg

Timeskip means he can probably do more than this now (he didn't even use that much against that Spade guy, less than here), but I won't yet say he's on the level Zeno showed here (and it's still crazy to think Zeno can go even further).

(He does go a bit further than that for the final attack but we don't get a clear look, though it still doesn't cover his leg, all we see is the additional little wing)
vdX36ETm.jpg

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I looked back on some old panels and I grossly overestimated how high Asta's devil trigger percentage should be lmao. So far, the time where he looks to have used the most power was after the word devil showed up and in the clearest look at that I know of, the aura is only on his right side sure but only affects his right upper body, unlike Zeno whose leg is affected too.

Yeah, as soon as Zeno showed his stuff, I went immediately back to previous chapters to see where Asta was in comparison. And yeah, it seems like his Pre Time Skip limit was just on the upper right side of his body, which I'd guess would be around 30% or so. I'd say it's probably risen given the new abilities he's mastered.

Timeskip means he can probably do more than this now (he didn't even use that much against that Spade guy, less than here), but I won't yet say he's on the level Zeno showed here (and it's still crazy to think Zeno can go even further).

This is what I was thinking. As soon as I saw Zeno get a hype moment of going over 50%, I thought to myself that Asta would also get one when he finally goes 50%. I imagine that also involves him talking to his devil more. Then again, I'd like if that is dealt with similarly to how Asta's relationship with Henry was revealed.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
how does Asta using his devils powers actually work though?

like the dark triad guy's devil seems like it enhances his inherent bone magic beyond its' natural limits. is that the case for Asta, too where his Devil enhances his inherent anti magic powers? Or do the anti Magic powers come from the devil itself? And if that's the case, then what exactly does Asta's grimoire do, just give him weapons?

Not really sure how the whole Devil possession thing works. Although I guess it hasn't really been properly explained yet.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
how does Asta using his devils powers actually work though?

like the dark triad guy's devil seems like it enhances his inherent bone magic beyond its' natural limits. is that the case for Asta, too where his Devil enhances his inherent anti magic powers? Or do the anti Magic powers come from the devil itself? And if that's the case, then what exactly does Asta's grimoire do, just give him weapons?

Not really sure how the whole Devil possession thing works. Although I guess it hasn't really been properly explained yet.
In Asta's case, the anti-magic comes from the anti-magic devil who is in the grimoire. Because the weapons are stored in the grimoire, they're imbued with the devil's anti-magic. Then Asta himself accesses the anti-magic through his swords (he makes it flow from the swords into his body).

So yeah it's different from Zeno who seemingly has his magic boosted by the devil.

Maybe the Spade folks actually host their devils (or some of their power, for those below the Triad) in their bodies instead of their grimoires like Asta and that's why they still have their own magic, just boosted. In Clover, only special grimoires can hold devils but we haven't heard anything about special grimoires for Spade. And if Zeno actually hosts a devil, that could explain why he has that mark on his face at all times (and it does react to him using devil power), unlike Asta who doesn't have such a mark on his face.

Won't know for sure until it's explained I guess.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
In Asta's case, the anti-magic comes from the anti-magic devil who is in the grimoire. Because the weapons are stored in the grimoire, they're imbued with the devil's anti-magic. Then Asta himself accesses the anti-magic through his swords (he makes it flow from the swords into his body).

So yeah it's different from Zeno who seemingly has his magic boosted by the devil.

Maybe the Spade folks actually host their devils (or some of their power, for those below the Triad) in their bodies instead of their grimoires like Asta and that's why they still have their own magic, just boosted. In Clover, only special grimoires can hold devils but we haven't heard anything about special grimoires for Spade. And if Zeno actually hosts a devil, that could explain why he has that mark on his face at all times (and it does react to him using devil power), unlike Asta who doesn't have such a mark on his face.

Won't know for sure until it's explained I guess.
So would Asta's grimoire do anything if there wasn't a devil inside?

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Zeno has a unique devil magic as well, something related to the cube that the two popped up in when he started using his devil magic. I'd hate to think that it was just an aesthetic choice that won't show up again.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So would Asta's grimoire do anything if there wasn't a devil inside?
The grimoire would presumably still just be a Sword Magic grimoire that could eventually accept a devil in it (like it did the AM devil) or be used by a devil with a physical body who found it (like the Word Devil used Patry's grimoire and made it his own), with both outcomes changing the nature of the grimoire to fit the devil's power (but the second one obviously being their preferred option).

Also, it's probable that until a devil interacted with it, no one would be able to do anything with it anyway. It seems that becoming a 5-leaf is what made it so Licht's grimoire didn't disappear when Licht died but in that case, before the AM Devil got in it, it probably just followed the usual rule of "a person can't use a grimoire that's not theirs".

What we'd have to see to know for sure is someone have and use a 5-leaf without a devil yet in it and also how the AM Devil got in it in the time where Nero was asleep (which was a few years).
---------------------------------------------
Nice and emotional episode today. I like a lot of the new tracks that have been used for this arc, including in this episode, so I'm looking forward to the 3rd OST's release.

One thing I'm curious about from the episode is this:

I remember when I saw this in the chapter, I didn't want to think much of this because I figured it could've been a mistake from the weekly grind and wanted to wait until the volume release of the chapter to be sure. This being in the anime means it's probably still in the Japanese volume release and thus not a mistake. So...two elf children...pretty interesting. Are they descendants of elves who somehow luckily escaped the wedding genocide? Were there elves outside of Licht's tribe? Witch Queen did say the elves origins' were mysterious so maybe this is related to that. (And there of course were more humans than the ones in Clover who interacted with the elves so maybe it's the same for the elves)

Feels like the kind of thing that may not be answered for a while.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The grimoire would presumably still just be a Sword Magic grimoire that could eventually accept a devil in it (like it did the AM devil) or be used by a devil with a physical body who found it (like the Word Devil used Patry's grimoire and made it his own), with both outcomes changing the nature of the grimoire to fit the devil's power (but the second one obviously being their preferred option).

Also, it's probable that until a devil interacted with it, no one would be able to do anything with it anyway. It seems that becoming a 5-leaf is what made it so Licht's grimoire didn't disappear when Licht died but in that case, before the AM Devil got in it, it probably just followed the usual rule of "a person can't use a grimoire that's not theirs".

What we'd have to see to know for sure is someone have and use a 5-leaf without a devil yet in it and also how the AM Devil got in it in the time where Nero was asleep (which was a few years).
---------------------------------------------
Nice and emotional episode today. I like a lot of the new tracks that have been used for this arc, including in this episode, so I'm looking forward to the 3rd OST's release.

One thing I'm curious about from the episode is this:

I remember when I saw this in the chapter, I didn't want to think much of this because I figured it could've been a mistake from the weekly grind and wanted to wait until the volume release of the chapter to be sure. This being in the anime means it's probably still in the Japanese volume release and thus not a mistake. So...two elf children...pretty interesting. Are they descendants of elves who somehow luckily escaped the wedding genocide? Were there elves outside of Licht's tribe? Witch Queen did say the elves origins' were mysterious so maybe this is related to that. (And there of course were more humans than the ones in Clover who interacted with the elves so maybe it's the same for the elves)

Feels like the kind of thing that may not be answered for a while.

Did the manga give any implications of elves residing outside of the Clover Kingdom?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think Zeno has a unique devil magic as well, something related to the cube that the two popped up in when he started using his devil magic. I'd hate to think that it was just an aesthetic choice that won't show up again.
That's a good point, that cube was weird lol. We've had folks with two attributes because of altered grimoires + experiments (Mars/Fana) and due to being hybrid (Charmy) so having two attributes from having a devil in you would make sense. Kinda cool actually.
Did the manga give any implications of elves residing outside of the Clover Kingdom?
Kiiiiiinda?
As far as I know, we really only have what the Witch Queen says. These were my thoughts when I saw it again on a re-read a few weeks ago.
At the end of the Witch Forest arc, when she's talking to the bulls about the elves, the WQ says "the origins of the elves are unclear". I wonder what that means. They're probably not native to that region then. Maybe they came from whatever is west of the Spade Kingdom. Or maybe they come from another world and their arrival here is tied to the pact made with ancient humans regarding the Shadow Realm and Sephira stuff.

At any rate, there is much to learn about the races in that world, from the elves and dwarves to possible giants and whatever else may be out there. And also the devil world stuff and Sephira stuff and if there's even other worlds besides the devil one to begin with.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Rades punishing Patri by reviving him in Licht's body. I'm curious how will Patri redeem himself? Raia barely looks remorseful for his actions.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rades punishing Patri by reviving him in Licht's body. I'm curious how will Patri redeem himself? Raia barely looks remorseful for his actions.
Probably just by working to protect the Clover kingdom.
I'm curious to see if they actually became Magic Knights, if they just work with the WK or what exactly they're doing if not. (I kinda want them to be a Suicide Squad under the WK lol)

(Also, the Third Eye had their epithets based on the opposites of what the three clover leaves represent, despair/hateful/disloyalty and because of Licht saying there may be some reason/meaning in them staying, a part of me wonders if they'll each get new epithets of "hope/love/faith" as part of working with the Clover kingdom lol.)

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to bring this up earlier but the episode also made me curious again about whether Rades' second spell could come into play again. Because the conditions are too specific for it to seem like an option in the future. First he needs a soul that's without a body, then that soul needs to belong to someone he's spent a lot of time with and finally he needs a compatible body for that soul (their own bodies for him, Sally and Valtos and a clone for Patry).

I don't see how it could come back for now. It doesn't seem like there is gonna be any soul stuff going on in this arc to begin with. But he's still around so maybe he'll be allowed to use his first spell instead. (What if he's allowed to zombify the Golden Dawn corpses lol. That'd be crazy)

Patri and The Third Eye will be a part of the rescue team to save Vangeance.
I would LOVE that lol. Would make sense too, maybe they can't afford to send away Magic Knights but those 4 are very powerful.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
no one has the episode listing for the content of the next episodes. Really curious how deep into the next arc we're getting or if original storyline writers wil take their hand at this anime.

Emotional episode.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
G2ZSGvFl.jpg

With this latest chapter, the Clover Kingdom has likely tragically lost its 5th most attractive man (his glasses even fall off as he takes that attack, as if Tabata wanted to drive the point home). Who slides into the top 5 now? Fuegoleon? Hair-Down Magna? Mask-Off Zora?

I'd say Zora.
Edit: Wait what am I talking about? It's obviously Damnatio.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
G2ZSGvFl.jpg

With this latest chapter, the Clover Kingdom has likely tragically lost its 5th most attractive man (his glasses even fall off as he takes that attack, as if Tabata wanted to drive the point home). Who slides into the top 5 now? Fuegoleon? Hair-Down Magna? Mask-Off Zora?

I'd say Zora.
Edit: Wait what am I talking about? It's obviously Damnatio.
give magna some respect