• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But for real though, heavy Witch Queen vibes from Grey's mother. Is she a witch who left the forest? Cause the witches all have the most OP powers in this series and her daughter can transform anything.
9bRT5YW.jpg

Man so many Black Bulls had terrible families

Wait what did grey do exactly turned the sword into flesh?
It seems that's what happened. We'll get an explanation next week I guess cause Vanessa was cut off by Asta's limp body falling to the ground.
-------------------------------------------------
Next week would be Ch. 245, which should be the halfway point of Vol.25 (should end on 250) and if it's handled like Vol. 24 (split between Asta and Yuno), this part could end soon and we'd go back to the Heart for a few chapters. Dante's target has finally arrived after all. Or maybe we wait a few more chapters until seeing what's going on in the Heart.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Grey's Cinderella and Noelle is the Ugly Duckling...wonder if there are more references to stories like that.
Someone in the Mangaplus comments pointed out that Charlotte is Sleeping Beauty and Vanessa is Rapunzel.
----------------------------------------------
So with Dante getting really excited at the sight of any Arcane stage, I now wonder if his ambition is to invade the underworld and take control of it.

CS5pEah.jpg

This is what he said in 239 before moving out, either talking to himself or chatting with Spade's "ancient evil". At first this, along with him wanting Yami and William, had me wondering if he just wanted some arcane powers to visit the underworld (cause Dante's Inferno and World Tree + Dimension Slash = door to another world or something like that).

Now though? Seems like it could be more than that. He seems excited by all of them and the one common point they have is the ability to kill devils. And yet the Spade are the ones with the most devils, he did not even know there was one in Clover (w/ Asta). Is he getting ready to have to fight some? Spade is expanding their territory into the other 3 known countries but does he somehow want to expand into the underworld. Cause that'd be fitting and pretty interesting.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Asta really went and got bodied, so much for a power up lmao. Loving how Dante uses his gravity magic though, so much cooler than what you normally see.

Also, finally, the Hero arrives on the scene!!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Asta really went and got bodied, so much for a power up lmao. Loving how Dante uses his gravity magic though, so much cooler than what you normally see.

Also, finally, the Hero arrives on the scene!!
First he's making boulders into diamond swords, now he's just throwing heavy punches lmao. Love it. And yeah not even berserk Asta could do anything besides a tiny injury, it's not gonna be easy to take him down later.

Real Goku vibes from how we were just waiting for Yami to come in. He even came in floating lol (with that and the way his slash looked, guess he's more adept at Mana Zone now). Yami w/Finral's assist may actually put in a good showing.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready for the flashback to end with Yami showing up with a uniform in true Black Clover flashback fashion.

lol at it made so it seems like Asta is just getting worked the whole time.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
First he's making boulders into diamond swords, now he's just throwing heavy punches lmao. Love it. And yeah not even berserk Asta could do anything besides a tiny injury, it's not gonna be easy to take him down later.

Real Goku vibes from how we were just waiting for Yami to come in. He even came in floating lol (with that and the way his slash looked, guess he's more adept at Mana Zone now). Yami w/Finral's assist may actually put in a good showing.
Yami is the Goku of Black Clover

Asta is the Gohan

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
While short (and kinda out of nowhere) it's cool we got some Grey background. I love how fairy tale-esque it is, and it makes sense that it's Gauche she had her first encounter with. I really wonder what kind of magic she's awakened though, considering her specialty.

In any case, best boy Yami is here! A bit dissapointed it's the same design, although I wasn't expecting a redesign for any or most adult characters tbh. Hyped to see how the fight goes, poor Asta got destroyed.

Oh, and since I haven't posted on here in a while, gotta say I love the whole vibe with Lucifero, the unnamed devil and Megicula (Noelle, get her!) we've got going. I'm a sucker for evil organizations such as this one.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't say that lol
While short (and kinda out of nowhere) it's cool we got some Grey background. I love how fairy tale-esque it is, and it makes sense that it's Gauche she had her first encounter with. I really wonder what kind of magic she's awakened though, considering her specialty.

In any case, best boy Yami is here! A bit dissapointed it's the same design, although I wasn't expecting a redesign for any or most adult characters tbh. Hyped to see how the fight goes, poor Asta got destroyed.

Oh, and since I haven't posted on here in a while, gotta say I love the whole vibe with Lucifero, the unnamed devil and Megicula (Noelle, get her!) we've got going. I'm a sucker for evil organizations such as this one.
It's some Giorno Giovanna turning shit into body parts stuff lol. It is interesting that it's Vanessa that was like "this spell! It's-" as if she recognizes what's going on cause she's been through an awakening like this herself...and Grey's (step-?)mom looks like a witch.

I would've loved a redesign (Wano going on in One Piece had me wondering if Yami's potential redesign would lean even more into his origins haha). Shame it isn't really, though the cape seems longer.

Yeah man the way these devils have been presented has been so good. They're so intimidating even just being silhouettes lol. The Dark Triad have really made a much stronger impression than the Midnight Sun imo.

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I think Yami not changing designs checks out because he's basically worn the same type of clothes forever, even when since he was a teen.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
True he's worn that white tank top in every part of his life in Clover lol. I do like that the cape is longer now, he looks even more imposing.

If he does get a completely different design some day, I'd love something like Gintoki and (kinda) post-timeskip Zoro that evokes the look of a samurai but keeps the pants and boots he has.
Maybe if we go to his country hmmm...
------------------
Someone in the M+ comments suggested that Grey just learned True Magic for her Transformation attribute, like Rades did and like Gaja showed, and I like the idea.
(Makes me wonder if Rouge is "True Magic" too cause it's tied to but not exactly like the rest of her Thread Magic, it was the result of Vanessa's awakening, as the Witch Queen called it, and I don't think it has ever gotten the traditional "Attribute X: Spell Y" casting like most spells. Could be why Vanessa seems to recognize what's going on.)

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I think we might someday get a slightly different attire for him (like for the final arc or whatever), but yeah, his design is great as it is, so why change it.
It's some Giorno Giovanna turning shit into body parts stuff lol. It is interesting that it's Vanessa that was like "this spell! It's-" as if she recognizes what's going on cause she's been through an awakening like this herself...and Grey's (step-?)mom looks like a witch.

I would've loved a redesign (Wano going on in One Piece had me wondering if Yami's potential redesign would lean even more into his origins haha). Shame it isn't really, though the cape seems longer.

Yeah man the way these devils have been presented has been so good. They're so intimidating even just being silhouettes lol. The Dark Triad have really made a much stronger impression than the Midnight Sun imo.
Oh, didn't catch that. I want the manga to tackle more on the witch stuff, that arc was cool. Achieving new kinds of magic is always cool, can't wait to see the other guys' improvement over the timeskip (curious that Gray didn't achieve this during it, but it makes sense she, of all people, would need a bigger push to awaken stuff). The True Magic theory is interesting, had honestly forgotten it was a term used several times. It's also an exciting prospect for the other characters.

And yep, I loved the Midnight Sun and the whole elf thing, but given how prominently they were featured (like most of the manga) I kinda was over them by the time they got defeated.

These new guys are exciting with the fact they're from another country, have great designs and their concept of being possesed by demons is really cool (which will tie them with not only Asta, but also Noelle, which is always welcome).

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Black Clover Anime Casts Ryotaro Okiayu, Yū Serizawa, Kana Ueda

Both voice actors play Heart Kingdom citizens // This year's 17th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine announced three more cast members on Monday...
For whatever reason I thought Undine's skin would be water colored like the rest of her but guess not.
----------------------------
Even more stories the girls are seemingly based on

Anyway, now time to look forward to Noelle getting stomped too I guess...(though she's got more powerful people to potentially help her)

For the two DT fights we've had, Yuno lost pretty badly against Zeno but I'd say Dante humiliated Asta more. The beginning of the fight Asta was just screaming for his attention, and Dante didn't care, then he only got Dante to go a little serious when Gauche helped make copies of him and after Dante transformed Asta was just done, getting slammed to the ground, watching his friend get hurt and losing control. Even his berserk form couldn't do anything once Dante actually got serious. It'll be interesting to see how Asta feels about this.
Oh, didn't catch that. I want the manga to tackle more on the witch stuff, that arc was cool.
Same, I'm really curious about the Queen (especially now that she or some lookalike popped up in Grey's flashback). And with Spade wanting control of everything, it seems possible the Witch Forest will get involved somehow. (Right now it's looking like everyone in that region just needs to team up on Spade)

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Random theory time! Leaving this here for the record so that I can brag 3-5 years from now if this is true.

Theory: Grey is the Black Clover version of Loki (and the Queen of Witches is a goddess too)

Reasons I suspect this:

1. It's already been suggested that their are gods in their world. Throughout the Underwater Temple arc, a "Sea God" is mentioned multiple times, as the one to whom Kahono and Kiato would dedicate their performances to as children and it's also the term used by the people who live there when they see Noelle's Sea Dragon. And Noelle is called the "Sea Goddess" by the people of the temple. Vanessa also mentions a "God of Fate" during the same arc, when talking about Asta's nature. But the most concrete evidence of there not only being gods but also that the gods have interacted with mortals before is what Patry says about the elves to Yami in their first encounter:

O73nrvY.jpg

(Vol. 6, Chapter 47)

There's also Sephira from which comes the name "Apostles of Sephira", the ten elves who can receive "divine" revelations.
29KlIgEm.jpg

(Vol. 19, Chapter 182)

There may be other mentions of them beyond those. And also just there being demons/devils means we're likely to see their counterparts.

2. Black Clover is inspired by Norse mythology in many ways. The currently known races of humans, elves, dark elves and dwarves are present in Norse mythology. There are also references in the magic used by some characters. Noelle and Acier Silva have "Valkyrie Armor" spells. William Vangeace uses World Tree magic and one of his spells is named "Great Tree Misteltein" which is apparently the name of a sword in Norse mythology. And the mark that was on Julius' is a Nordic rune.
And we also know that there are multiple worlds. There's the normal one we've been in so far and what is often called "the other world" or "underworld" (from which devils come, as well as some forbidden spells people use), the shadow palace which is in between the two and possibly others. (And William's World Tree magic may end up being the key to travelling between them, based on how Yggdrasil connects the nine realms in Norse mythology)

3. Grey's backstory is still largely unknown, with the only detail being that she wasn't confident and couldn't reveal her true form to people. Prior to the reveal of her true form, she's shown to use her transformation magic to be somewhat mischievous around the Black Bulls. And her transformation is presented as unique because she can transform her body like a few others but she can go beyond that to transform things around her, which other characters aren't used to seeing.
r3pGDLm.jpg

(Vol. 8, Chapter 66: Underwater Temple Fight with Eye of the Midnight Sun)

ZEiR8dV.jpg
VBWhQwR.jpg

(Vol. 15, Chapter 139: G3 vs Eye of the Midnight Sun at Black Bull HQ)

And so far, the Black Bulls that were noted to have surprisingly or atypically strong magic have had big reveals tied to that. Charmy's magic was described as weirdly impressive and she was hinted at for a while as being something more than just a normal human, then was revealed to be a Dwarf hybrid. Luck had noble-class magic power despite being a commoner, then was revealed to be an elf reincarnation (incidentally, with Luck not knowing his father, having noble-class magic and his elf Rufel being the younger brother of Charla who took over Charlotte Roselei, there may be more to learn about his past).

Also, this is how Grey is first shown:
OJ0nJOl.jpg

(Vol.1, Chapter 4)

Not her true form but she's introduced looking like a giant, considerably bigger than anyone in that panel and anyone we've seen in the series thus far (except for Licht's demon form). Besides this form, she's only transformed into people she's seen so this might be a hint at the kind of people she had around her in her past. And not only are Giants present in Norse mythology like the other races in BC, Loki is a half giant from his father.

4. This is the simplest yet biggest one to me...we still don't know what Grey's name is...

sTsXxzB.jpg

(Vol. 8)

I had either never noticed or forgotten about this until recently seeing it again but yeah...we don't know her real name.

Every time a character's real name has not been revealed at the time of introduction, it means that the name is important or has special significance. The most obvious case is how the leader of the Eye of the Midnight Sun is first called "The Master", then it's "Master Licht" once he appears on screen, then "Master Licht" talks about how everything he's doing is for "the master", suggesting someone above him and afterwards we learn that the real Licht died a long time ago and the one who went by that name is actually "Patry".

Another example is how the First Wizard King was unnamed for more than 200 chapters and his name was only revealed in the most important flashback of the series that revealed the truth about the past, when his friend Licht said "Lumiere, please kill me", showing that even their names are connected.

Name reveals are important and Grey's still going by an alias. Now that Patry and Secre's identities have been revealed, she's the character that's been going by an alias for by far the longest time in the series and her name being very important seems more possible when you consider the following:

The ONLY other character who had a Character Profile in the volumes BEFORE their real name has been revealed is the Queen of Witches (Zora, Lumiere, Secre and Patry all had their Character Profiles after their identities were revealed).

HXy7wwg.jpg

(Vol. 12)

This is the only other time it has happened. And it's very suspicious not only because it wasn't done with the others who had their names hidden, but also because "Real name unknown" suggests a future reveal and the only other character in Grey's situation is the woman who is probably a goddess herself given that she's been alive for over 500 years, seemingly knows about everything, was chaining high-level spells effortlessly to the point where a royal like Noelle found her magic more terrifying than that of the strongest elemental spirit Salamander and she's the one whose daughter can literally reshape fate. She also said that some of the elves were equal to her, which would fit with what Patry said about elves rivaling gods.

To let that man tempt you away...!
89AqOwvm.jpg

(Vol. 10, Chapter 82)

4lYiZKBm.jpg

(Vol. 12, Chapter 101)

Conclusion:
...I think Grey might be BC's take on Loki...don't have much else to say. If she's not Loki, then regardless there's enough that makes it seem like she's pretty goddamn special considering the characters she's similar to. I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now since re-reading the series and thinking about how there was still much unknown about Grey. I'm looking forward to learning more about her in the future.

Maybe there's other stuff I'm missing that strengthens or weakens this but I just felt like writing this up for posterity.

(Edit: Turns out I did forget some stuff, edited two details into points 2, 3 and 4. Took out some unnecessary stuff)

I was eager to learn more about Grey regardless of whether or not it confirmed my theory but now that we finally have more information on Grey's backstory, I thought I'd look at this again.

The theory was born from the fact that Grey had a character profile before she even got her real name revealed, with the idea being part of her name was "Loki".

The main thing I was looking out for in the event of a Grey flashback was the presence of at least 1 giant, which doesn't happen in 244. Instead we get a Cinderella inspired backstory.

Now, does the flashback disprove the theory? On its own, not yet...

"Cinderella Grey" is the title of chapter 244. Is that her real name? Probably not. "Grey" has been an alias so it seems unlikely it'd be part of her real name, especially not after this chapter makes it seem like she calls herself that due to being covered in ashes/cinders and is told "Just wear ashes from now on" to "hide" herself. The name of the family she's in also seems to be "Whiteley".

Is "Cinderella Whiteley" her name, or at least is "Cinderella" her first name?
...Maybe...maybe not. No one called her that yet. Maybe the chapter has Cinderella in the title simply in reference to the story which inspired it. And "Cinderella" itself is a nickname due to her being covered in cinders, like Grey was covered in ash which presumably then led to her alias. But it's still possible that's her actual name here. The answer to that, if it's not actually stated in a chapter for the next few months, would come in Volume 25 if she gets an updated character profile after this chapter. So for now I suppose we either wait for that or for her to tell the truth to the Bulls.

As for how it relates to the other aspects of the theory, well this flashback doesn't feel conclusive. Feels like the main part of it for this chapter is to establish that she knew Gauche already but otherwise not only it doesn't answer why she can transform into a giant, it also leaves us with more to look out for:

3XL3yzK.jpg

In the theory, I drew a connection between the Witch Queen and Grey but it was solely based on them being the only two characters in the series with character profiles and unknown real names and I thought it may hint at god-related stuff being revealed later and both their cases were being saved for that.

Now...well we now have Grey with a Witch Queen-looking woman who's either her mother or stepmother, walking away from the scene immediately as if there's info on her being saved for later. Is that actually the Witch Queen? The dress is similar to the kind she's been seen in (but not as wide) but I'm not convinced yet because this is in the Clover Kingdom and her hat is not pointy but this is still pretty weird. Could be her in a different but similar attire (like her casual, incognito getup or some shit) and maybe she had a family in Clover for whatever reason (we've only seen her in the past in Vanessa's flashback and Vanessa was locked up so we don't really know what she would've been up to).
At the very least, the vaguely similar attire, similar character profile handling, mistreatment of a child and said child awakening to an OP power has me curious to get a confirmation of whether it's the Queen/someone related to her or not.

We also don't yet know who her father is and maybe he's the one who'd be tied to her giant form.
(Note: When she transforms in front of her sisters, she doesn't look exactly like either of them, instead she looks like the "middle" version of them with her hat and hair. That does suggest she can create an appearance instead of only being able to 100% copy others but because she still took inspiration from them and a giant is just too weird/out there of a thing to transform into, I think it's fair to still be on the lookout for that for now)

At any rate, I'm happy to have learned more about Grey, it's interesting that she hid her form not out of shyness but out of fear from being ridiculed all the time. Looking forward to learning more.

(Anecdotally, both Vanessa and Grey are 24 years old)

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Would be cool if Yoshihara animated post-timeskip Asta's Black Divider destroying the fortress, if the anime gets to that point.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Viz has begun taking votes for their Black Clover character popularity poll. (Japanese one started a couple weeks ago)

Wonder what the results will be this here. I'm guessing Nero will be in the top 10, and I feel like Zeno has a chance to end up in there too.
Naturally I voted for Noelle. (Though the pull to Asta's side was stronger than ever this year)

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017

Viz has begun taking votes for their Black Clover character popularity poll. (Japanese one started a couple weeks ago)

Wonder what the results will be this here. I'm guessing Nero will be in the top 10, and I feel like Zeno has a chance to end up in there too.
Naturally I voted for Noelle. (Though the pull to Asta's side was stronger than ever this year)

How do you vote? The link isn't taking me to a poll.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel so bad for doubting Yami lmao. Thought he'd get stomped like William and I wasn't prepared to see that but he said fuck that.

I really liked Dante's interaction with him (especially him calling out how stacked the Bulls are lol), as well as their quick exchange of attacks. It's neat that their powers kinda match and one is so interested in the other.

As suggested at the end of the last chapter, Yami's much better with Mana Zone now and his Black Moon spell is pretty impressive, making him immune to Dante's magic. Dante not missing a beat though just shows some more cool usage of his magic with the regular size diamond sword now (I'm really liking his fighting style).

Dark Cloaked Iai Slash got me all the way hype.

-----------------------------------

Now, with Yami seemingly being able to handle Dante better than I would've thought, it does make me wonder how the rest of this encounter will go. It's possible Dante will just go to a higher devil power percentage and/or try to fight harder/smarter.

But there's something interesting from this week that may point to how this encounter will go and that's the cover of Volume 24.

I can't link it cause it's only out there as a scan but it shows Asta and Zeno, with the background being Zeno's grimoire. If the pattern holds, then Zeno would thus be on the cover of Volume 25, which is where we're in right now. I found that curious because the whole Golden Dawn invasion happens in the Vol. 24 chapters yet if Zeno's on the cover of the Volume we're "in" currently, it'd follow that he's supposed to show up eventually (cause it'd be weird for a character to be on the cover of a volume they're not in unless they're Luffy...).

With the way this chapter went, that cover now makes more sense. It seems a bit more likely now that Zeno will interrupt this encounter, on his way back from the Clover Kingdom with William, and help Dante enough that he'll be able to accomplish at least one of his objectives.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
XsCroIq.jpg

cough
And speaking of Dante, I'm curious what he wants to do with William and Yami's magic.

YbH29h3m.jpg

ET0JSmxl.jpg

In the last arc, William did a combo spell with Licht to be help connect and send off the elves and that made me think of what could happen with Yami's magic, more specifically "Dimension Slash". The thing about Dimension Slash is that...it doesn't actually cut through dimensions (or rather, it hasn't up to now), the name is just to say it cuts anything in its path including spatial magic. What would happen if it actually cut into William's World Tree magic? Something to look out for now that they not only have William but also that Dante "this world is too dull for us".

Regardless of what they plan to do though, if the plan isn't merely to secure Arcane folks who their devils are vulnerable against then how would they even put the Arcane magic of others to use? Do they have some way to manipulate them? Are they gonna torture them? Can they steal it somehow? Slightly leaning towards that last one for now because their Candela fortress absorbed magic from people to move so maybe they have something like that in mind that can somehow take someone's attribute. Remember Morris somehow made it so Mars had Fana's magic attribute in addition to his natural one.
(which I guess slightly increases the chance of Morris working with Spade lol)
5EERyPcm.jpg
At first this, along with him wanting Yami and William, had me wondering if he just wanted some arcane powers to visit the underworld (cause Dante's Inferno and World Tree + Dimension Slash = door to another world or something like that).
cough

Dante's plan taking shape. I guess opening a door to the underworld would be this arc/saga's "major turning point" to match the reincarnation.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fitting chapter for the birthday of Yami's voice actor
twitter.com

Crunchyroll on Twitter

“(3/29) Happy Birthday to the Talented Japanese Voice Actor Junichi Suwabe 🎉”

Anyway, here are more images of Yami being the coolest
xsBjW3d.jpg

tkWMxGP.jpg

MJEX7w6.jpg

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
4ernexN.jpg

Small but interesting bit in this chapter. In line with him seemingly being into devils and preferring their world to the normal one.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And Volume 24's cover is here:
EUUcMbuUYAIqvfb

Source

Kind of a throwback to Volume 1 but with Zeno taking Yuno's place and being the one looming over Asta. You can also see Vanica and Dante in the upper right and Zeno's disciples in the upper left. This isn't what I pictured (surprised not to see Yuno) but I really like it, especially Asta's pose and expression.

ptgazB0.jpg

The grimoire used for the background belongs to Zeno, which you can recognize thanks to the halberds (how dope is it that his grimoire has halberds on it lol), so Zeno will be the center character for Volume 25's cover.
(Which is why I say he's possibly showing up for this fight cause he hasn't been in any "Vol. 25" chapters so far and yet he'll be on the cover)

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Yami not only missed the memo about jobbing to the new big bads, but also revealed a busted technique lol.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If there is a limit, Yami will surpass it.

I do think he'll ultimately lose though, either through Zeno showing up on his way home or Dante using more devil power, cause he's only at 60% and can presumably go up to 80% like his brother. Or both.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the concept of Yami's new technique. I'm a sucker for moves who allow someone to manipulate their space within a certain range. The black sphere just makes it even cooler.

I think we are going to see the full extent of the Devil's Possesssion so we can get a good idea of where everyone needs to be when the rematch inevitably happens.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
So I know next to nothing about this series but the depiction of the kickass female fighters has gotten my attention.

Manga? Anime? Both? What's the best way to get through it?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So I know next to nothing about this series but the depiction of the kickass female fighters has gotten my attention.

Manga. It's a fast read (pacing is lightning fast). Can't vouch for the anime as I dropped out of it pretty early because I was getting impatient so swapped to the manga and haven't gone back. Still in my top 3-4 weekly read.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the concept of Yami's new technique. I'm a sucker for moves who allow someone to manipulate their space within a certain range. The black sphere just makes it even cooler.
Same lol. Love that stuff (part of why I like Jujutsu Kaisen because like Fulmi said, that's a general part of the power system lol). And yeah the sphere helps.
A nice touch I like here is that because the whole area is his "Dark Magic", his "Dark Cloaked" sword attacks look like normal strikes because being in the territory makes it count as cloaked.
Yami, my guy :')

his new move reminds of territories in JJK lol
I'm glad you got to see him look cool for a week before he loses and gets caught!

But for real, I am happy about his performance here because it both makes it clear the younger characters aren't quite on the level of the captains yet and it makes the idea of the Dark Triad eventually losing more realistic, like they're not out of reach.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I recommend the manga. Much better art/presentation and the pacing is better as well (the start of the anime is slow as hell).
Feel free to post impressions if you read.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yami showing once again why he is the main protagonist. Everyone gets wrecked and then Goku appears.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
EUXV7D1XYAIxfc6

(Title seems to be "The Beginning of Hope and Despair", aka 229, unsurprisingly. If the "beginning of despair" is the GD massacre and Gauche almost dying, kinda scared to see what's ahead lol)

Much clearer look at the new cover (don't know why the official account didn't just post this one in the first place). Zeno's top looks red/brownish, and it seems red is the color of Spade overall, which makes sense for the country of demons (whole cover's actually just devil power users).

Wonder if 25 will be solo Zeno or maybe have Asta, Grey, Yami and Dante too. Still surprised it's Zeno's grimoire as the background here, after 244 I thought it'd be Grey's turn finally but I guess that just further points to there being more Grey stuff later on like the flashback implied.
-----------------------------------
Btw, minor thing but what are we calling this arc? I've just thought of it as the Spade Arc but with the characters not even in the Spade kingdom proper yet, and the Dark Triad being involved even outside their home, I guess Dark Triad Arc would be more fitting for now. Though it doesn't matter much either way.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For Royal Day here's P5-inspired Asta cut-in art. Love all of this (and fitting cause Tabata himself uses cut-in-like panels occasionally, including twice this latest chapter)

And here's cool Yami art
EUVXGScUwAAVMz5

twitter.com

ソラツキ♉︎@本誌垢 on Twitter

“黒の暴牛団長”
--------------------------

Really enjoyed today's episode. I like the additions made from the manga version, it all looked nice, especially the second part and the very end and I like the voice actors for the Heart characters. The OST for when they entered the Heart is really nice too, felt like in JRPGs when you get to a new town. Hopefully they release the new OST volume soon because there have been some really good tracks since the reincarnation happened that are still unreleased.

Crunchyroll seems to be going with Viz's original spellings for Lolopechka and Gadjah instead of Tabata's, which Viz updated to (at least for Lolo, Gadjah/Gaja's name hasn't been said aloud in the manga since the update but probably it changed to). Hopefully they fix it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
EUgPcdDWkAE2641

A better look at Zeno's grimoire.
Even his grimoire has way more drip than everyone else. It's not fair.
-------------------
CsaHE8oO6cHxz_kRWTtFU0wyc8xWpS0_VhOxoF1JIMo.jpg

Yami in 245.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man last episodes looked baller. Love it. Also feels like any time Noelle does some cool shit the animation goes ham or well the art is way more beautiful.

OP
OP
Dedication Through Light
Oct 25, 2017
runchyroll seems to be going with Viz's original spellings for Lolopechka and Gadjah instead of Tabata's, which Viz updated to (at least for Lolo, Gadjah/Gaja's name hasn't been said aloud in the manga since the update but probably it changed to). Hopefully they fix it.
I hope, but thers so much stuff they dont change when people bring it up.

Though I guess BC is popular enough that if people mention it/report it hopefully they do.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I call favoritism!!!

I don't mind ;) Give all the woman even more great animation. They rule this series. Everyone is important and even useful. I mean without Vanessa for example they would all be dead 10x+, Mereoleona had the most brutal fights so far, Noelle shines with her development and is not a one note "I have a crush on the MC" character (unlike Ochako in MHA for example), Mimosa is not just a healer character but even fires solar beams at enemies and I could go on. It's amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind ;) Give all the woman even more great animation. They rule this series. Everyone is important and even useful. I mean without Vanessa for example they would all be dead 10x+, Mereoleona had the most brutal fights so far, Noelle shines with her development and is not a one note "I have a crush on the MC" character (unlike Ochako in MHA for example), Mimosa is not just a healer character but even fires solar beams at enemies and I could go on. It's amazing.
There's no debate about black clover being on top women wise among shonen right now. Ppl can try

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also feels like any time Noelle does some cool shit the animation goes ham or well the art is way more beautiful.
Cause they know who deserves the attention. Like how Nero got a whole ED focused on her before anime-only people knew her or like how Mimosa had...

Anyway, fun fact, there's actually one time where we missed out on a very cool looking animation for Noelle because I guess the people in charge of corrections/supervisions didn't have enough time and had to make cuts.

Look at the genga (I think that's the term) version of her Sea Dragon's Roar against Salamander in Episode 59. And here's what was actually in the anime. Shame considering the animation was already done and looks really good yet couldn't be in the anime (not even restored in the Blu-Ray).

--------------------------------------------------------

(Cool Nero and Mimosa versions)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of outfits I've been holding onto this opinion for awhile.

The Royal Knights outfits suck. Asta, with half a uniform, looks cooler than the rest of those nerds combined, and Asta usually looks dumb in comparison to other magic knights.

HOWEVER.

When the top part of the robe gets blown off on certain characters the under robe looks dope as hell. They should have just gone with that.