• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
We are happy to announce that as backwards compatibility is a core feature of both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, you will be able to enjoy Black Desert on the next generation of consoles from day 1. There will be no need to purchase any additional bundles as all current owners of Black Desert will be able to continue their adventures on these devices. The only caveat is that your current Xbox Live Account must be the one used, and if it is, you will be able to continue where you left off!

Our partners at Sony are also working hard to make sure that PlayStation users will also be able to enjoy Black Desert on PlayStation 5 on the day that the console makes its way to your home. We will keep you updated if there are any updates in the near future!

Link

People have been making a pretty big deal about this in world chat (in game) throughout the day, and also on Discord. I hope Sony pulls through for day one play because PS4 players have issues running the game without an SSD especially in Siege and Node Wars and the thought of many regulars is that PS5 would allievate this.

That said, if PA doesn't stop treating us console peasants like an afterthought via content/release schedule compared to PC, I'm probably gonna quit the game soon (near 600GS Striker/Mystic here). My backlog is too big to be devoted to an MMO.

Edit:

Fuck yeah, Pearl Abyss!

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's just an app on the Xbox store. Just works across devices. No notes here about optimizations

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm guessing it's just backwards compatibility mode rather than optimized for next gen consoles? Hopefully Sony can sort that out in time for PlayStation players.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Sony...

Seriously, I forgot where I read this (here or Reddit), but on PSN each version of a game is a different SKU, thus these issues with forwards compatibility.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
My hope is that just like MHW/RDR2 etc which have drastically reduced load times and more on XSX|S without any optimization at all, that this game would be similar.
Sure. Yeah that's raw hardware power. Again, systemically, it's just an app. Sounds like the structure of PS5 is much different.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so they're saying they're still working on getting this working in BC mode on ps5?

This has to do with a PS5 native version so not sure why you would think this.
Because the post about xbox highlights compatibility because of BC, not because they have an actual series sx version

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That said, if PA doesn't stop gimping us console peasants with content/release schedule compared to PC, I'm probably gonna quit the game soon (near 600GS Striker/Mystic here). My backlog is too big to be devoted to an MMO.

It'd be nice if we didn't use words like 'gimp', they have an ableist connotation.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Man this game runs SO BAD on PS4 wtf???

The worst performing game I ever bought on this system ever

If you can't be bothered to properly optimise then just give us better graphical etc options for us to disable I'll disable everything to lowest graphics if need be to atleast make it "playable"

Me and my friend had to drop it after 10 mins it was too dogshit to control play jank ui etc

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Oh Sony...

Seriously, I forgot where I read this (here or Reddit), but on PSN each version of a game is a different SKU, thus these issues with forwards compatibility.

Yeah, if you purchase the wrong version on PSN and get a refund from Sony (which is hard as is), even to buy the more expensive version, PA usually bans your account. Lots of people get hit by that.

Man this game runs SOO SO BAD on PS4 wtf???

If you can't be bothered to properly optimise then just give us better graphical etc options for us to disable I'll disable everything to lowest graphics if need be to atleast make it "playable"

It runs alot better with an SSD on PS4. Did you try that?

It'd be nice if we didn't use words like 'gimp', they have an ableist connotation.

Good catch, didn't even think about that. Edited.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Link

People have been making a pretty big deal about this in world chat (in game) throughout the day, and also on Discord. I hope Sony pulls through for day one play because PS4 players have issues running the game without an SSD especially in Siege and Node Wars and the thought of many regulars is that PS5 would allievate this.

That said, if PA doesn't stop treating us console peasants like an afterthought via content/release schedule compared to PC, I'm probably gonna quit the game soon (near 600GS Striker/Mystic here). My backlog is too big to be devoted to an MMO.
Wait.. it's not even gonna be available through Back Compat on PS5? Or just won't have a next gen patch? That's a surprise.

To be fair, I don't the critical mass of players on PS5 wouldn't necessarily be enough to alleviate the SSD problem, since the vast majority of players will still be on PS4. But, yea, sooner than later is always preferred. (Actually, did they confirm cross-play across generations?)

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Wait.. it's not even gonna be available through Back Compat on PS5? Or just won't have a next gen patch? That's a surprise.

To be fair, I don't the critical mass of players on PS5 wouldn't necessarily be enough to alleviate the SSD problem, since the vast majority of players will still be on PS4. But, yea, sooner than later is always preferred. (Actually, did they confirm cross-play across generations?)

Yes, cross-gen is confirmed on XSX|S. Should be the same for PS5 but for now all they can say pretty much is stay tuned if we get any updates.

Nobody is going to play an MMO they invested a year+ into and have to start over. Would be catastrophic. I'm in the top 1% of console players and if they pulled that shit I'd quit so fast, lol.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
It runs alot better with an SSD on PS4. Did you try that?
No other games on our PS4s requires buying and installing an SSD replacing our already fine HDD just for a single game that's ridiculous

If their optimisation is so bad that they recommend you put a SSD in your PS4 to make their game more playable they should have mentioned that in their store listings and such before we purchased the damn game

It's a shame can't refund it

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yes, cross-gen is confirmed on XSX|S. Should be the same for PS5 but for now all they can say pretty much is stay tuned if we get any updates.
Gotcha thank you. Is this game worth jumping into on console? I have it downloaded on Xbox, and I dipped into the character creator briefly. But.. as you say... MMO

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So it sounds like PS5 backwards compatibility is still a question mark. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm guessing people are going to be disappointed with what works on day one.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sounds like it has more to do with account stuff and less to do with the game running or not.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
As a XIV PS4 player this worries me since I figured Sony and MS would make sure those kinds of games work since it's free real estate as far as padding out your launch window. Not that its on Sony to announce such issues, but my ears are now perked for anything SE states regarding S5 compat for XIV due to this news.

Slightly more on topic that sucks to hear cuz I do wanna go back to this game but launch congestion plus base PS4 made my brief experience kinda bad but I dont hold it against the game cuz shit happens and it was console launch. hopefully its sorted out by the time i get a PS5 so i can see what this game is like cuz I remain super interested.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

New PS4 games must also run on PlayStation 5 from July, Sony tells devs

Sony has told PlayStation 4 game developers that any new titles submitted for certification must also be compatible wit…

These developer notes also detail Sony's rules for patches to existing games and remasters of previously-released titles.

If a game was originally submitted to Sony before 13th July 2020, any new patch or remaster after that date would not require PS5 compatibility, but it would be "strongly recommended".

Sounds like it's on them to update the game to make sure it supports BC, not Sony. Guess this is a 1% game.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a XIV PS4 player this worries me since I figured Sony and MS would make sure those kinds of games work since it's free real estate as far as padding out your launch window. Not that its on Sony to announce such issues, but my ears are now perked for anything SE states regarding S5 compat for XIV due to this news.

Slightly more on topic that sucks to hear cuz I do wanna go back to this game but launch congestion plus base PS4 made my brief experience kinda bad but I dont hold it against the game cuz shit happens and it was console launch. hopefully its sorted out by the time i get a PS5 so i can see what this game is like cuz I remain super interested.

Square will probably release a PS5 version anyway. But yeah, I hope it works via BC meanwhile.

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Gotcha thank you. Is this game worth jumping into on console? I have it downloaded on Xbox, and I dipped into the character creator briefly. But.. as you say... MMO

Well, that's hard to say. MMO and all. The game does have the most detailed and complex movesets for its 20(!) classes (and they're always adding more), thus it has the best and most complex PvP (skill ceiling). Also has the best character creator and graphics for an MMO. Between PvE, PvP, lifeskilling or just exploring the big ass world and sailing the oceans, the game has alot for every type of player.

You can be killed/ganked at any time if you're over level 50, though, but this usually isnt a problem if you're in a decent guild or are not getting in someone's way or grindspot. I usually give a warning before I kill you but then again I grind in spots that are usually contested by high players and if you're there and in my rotation there's a 99% chance you're doing it on purpose, so you have it coming to ya. There usually is lots of drama via the bigger guilds against others but that's not exclusive any MMO, lol. Lots of people aren't competitive and just do relaxing things like fish and hang out in server chat.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
www.eurogamer.net

Sony has told PlayStation 4 game developers that any new titles submitted for certification must also be compatible wit…

Sounds like it's on them to update the game to make sure it supports BC, not Sony. Guess this is a 1% game.
I mean no because no matter what it should just work. It is very unlikely this would be part of the "1%" as that would be something like 30 to 40 titles total. Until Sony shows different I don't think anyone should be confident in their backwards compatibility. I also think we should be very hesitant to believe the Jim Ryan 99% quote if only because he probably wasn't being super specific. It could be 90% or 99.9% in actuality or a completely different percentage especially at launch.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

If back compat was being left up to developers ps5 would be nowhere near 99% of games supported. That quote is simply about games that get certified on ps4 after that date must be compatible with both. It has no effect on games released before then.

Zerot

Oct 30, 2017
These kinds of statements are worrying a month before launch, even when you don't consider the language difference between the Xbox paragraph and the PlayStation paragraph.

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
If back compat was being left up to developers ps5 would be nowhere near 99% of games supported. That quote is simply about games that get certified on ps4 after that date must be compatible with both. It has no effect on games released before then.

That's my understanding, as well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they just haven't received confirmation its good to go, not necessarily that its not working.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I ain't gonna lie. Sony's backward compatibility out here looking kind of spooky just in time for Halloween. I know 99% will work. But between the one off game's that might not work and the questions with saves transferring to the next gen consoles, I've been holding off buying new PS4 games or starting new playthroughs to continue on PS5 until we hear more from Sony regarding them.

I don't hear Xbox gamers facing these issues.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I ain't gonna lie. Sony's backward compatibility out here looking kind of spooky just in time for Halloween. I know 99% will work. But between the one off game's that might not work and the questions with saves transferring to the next gen consoles, I've been holding off buying new PS4 games or starting new playthroughs to continue on PS5 until we hear more from Sony regarding them.

I don't hear Xbox gamers facing these issues.

They've been unequivocal on 99% and Xbox are the about the same. Saves will transfer for BC also, don't think that's ever been in doubt.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
They've been unequivocal on 99% and Xbox are the about the same. Saves will transfer for BC also, don't think that's ever been in doubt.
You're right. I mean with Xbox, it seems you just get the best versions of games.

But with PS5, I've been waiting to start a new play through of Spider-Man. Now there's a full blown remaster that won't work with my PS4 save. Not a big deal as the amount of work that went into it, but I can't even buy or upgrade to it separately. Strange call. My old Spider-Man works on PS5 no doubt, but who wants to play that when they know there's a better version on the same system lol.

I don't think GoT or TLoU2 will get a remaster any time soon, so they will probably a "safe" play throughs being so recent. But I'm looking at games like GoW and Days Gone like
giphy.gif

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
99% of my ps4 games better work on day 1, I'm buying at launch and sold my ps4 because they said it would. Gonna be pretty pissed if I have to keep a 4 around like my ps3 to play the games I invested in on their platform.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
99% of my ps4 games better work on day 1, I'm buying at launch and sold my ps4 because they said it would. Gonna be pretty pissed if I have to keep a 4 around like my ps3 to play the games I invested in on their platform.
Honestly I would keep your ps4 until you pull up your library on ps5 and see what it allows you to play from ps4 just to be safe.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm definitely given a weird vibe on the fact that the Black Desert devs say that Sony is still working to ensure it will work at launch... even with 99% of games supposedly working, I really hate the overwhelming vagueness with everything. If it works properly, then say it

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game ran so terrible on PS4 it caused me to quit. I went pretty hard at first and had pretty much everything I wanted at TET but finally gave up a month or so before the Kamasylvia update.

I played on PS4 Pro and even bought an SSD specifically for the game. It still never ran properly which made PVP and Node Wars impossible. One of the most poorly optimized games out there for sure.

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
This game ran so terrible on PS4 it caused me to quit. I went pretty hard at first and had pretty much everything I wanted at TET but finally gave up a month or so before the Kamasylvia update.

I played on PS4 Pro and even bought an SSD specifically for the game. It still never ran properly which made PVP and Node Wars impossible. One of the most poorly optimized games out there for sure.

Yeah, that's a pretty common consensus, although it runs just fine on Xbox One X even without an SSD so the optimization seems to be lopsided in that regard. And as if that wasn't enough to make a disparity in a cross gen open world PVP game between consoles, PS4 got the game 6 months later so by the time they merged servers all the elite PS4 guilds pretty much disbanded because they couldn't compete with the Xbox scene.

Thankfully now things are a bit more even across the field due to intermingling, well aside from performance issues on PS4.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm definitely given a weird vibe on the fact that the Black Desert devs say that Sony is still working to ensure it will work at launch... even with 99% of games supposedly working, I really hate the overwhelming vagueness with everything. If it works properly, then say it
I wish we would get a list of games with issues. Doing a list for working games would be much longer imo.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Man this game runs SO BAD on PS4 wtf???

Me and my friend had to drop it after 10 mins it was too dogshit to control play jank ui etc
Had no problems on my pro/ssd when I was trying it out during release. I also think It's pretty impressive they even managed to get the gaming running somewhat decently on consoles considering how massive the world is.

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Had no problems on my pro/ssd when I was trying it out during release. I also think It's pretty impressive they even managed to get the gaming running somewhat decently on consoles considering how massive the world is.

That's because you were just trying it out. The game is extremely expansive outside of the beginning quests.

OP
OP
Liliana

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Why was the title edited to say backwards compat version? There is no next gen sku of BDO, nor will there be one for ESO, FFXIV, etc. These games are MMOs that are crossgen and in most cases, crossplatform.

Having the hypothetical Xbox version be backwards compatible while PS5 players need to start over after hundreds/thousands of hours invested would be a death sentence to that version and playerbase. It's obvious both versions will be BC.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Why was the title edited to say backwards compat version? There is no next gen sku of BDO, nor will there be one for ESO, FFXIV, etc. These games are MMOs that are crossgen and in most cases, crossplatform.

Having the hypothetical Xbox version be backwards compatible while PS5 players need to start over after hundreds/thousands of hours invested would be a death sentence to that version and playerbase. It's obvious both versions will be BC.
The title change is technically correct (though not at all more informative, I agree). It is the "back compat version" - and also, the only version lol. Regardless, it suggests that this stuff isn't as turnkey as the Xbox solution. If they figure it out within like the first week, then it's not THAT big of a deal (maybe a small black eye sort of thing).

But... not having saves carry over for a MMO would be disastrous. Really hope they avoid that.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
oh....another miss about PS5 backcompatibility ....

Maybe not available day1, but im sure that in a few weeks , all will be fine.

Xbox is definitively doing the things very well regarding Next Gen features.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The title change is technically correct (though not at all more informative, I agree). It is the "back compat version" - and also, the only version lol. Regardless, it suggests that this stuff isn't as turnkey as the Xbox solution. If they figure it out within like the first week, then it's not THAT big of a deal (maybe a small black eye sort of thing).

But... not having saves carry over for a MMO would be disastrous. Really hope they avoid that.

Its technically correct but misleading, because calling it 'backward compat version' implies there are other version.

"Black Desert Online available day 1 on Xbox Series X|S via backward compatibility; Sony still working on PS5 backward compatibility for the game" is much better.