• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah! This was one of the most complex character creators when it released. It let's you edit so much.

Funny thing, the in-depth creator was what had me dismiss this game for the longest time. Whenever you'd read about BDO, it would be about this character creator. That would be the only thing to be mentioned. I thought to myself that this game could not have much else to offer. Then, years later, I came across a screenshot of this game at the old place, and thought "Woah. Why did no one tell me this game looked so beautiful?" A day or two later, my journey into BDO began. It's really a beautiful world, with incredible amount of detail poured into every corner.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is an absolute blast. Been speeding through the main story I believe beating the shit out of goblins as a Mystic. Class is flashy as hell and the sound effects for their attacks are ace. Currently lvl 17 right now and I should honestly check out the gathering professions and whanot, but I'm having way too much fun crushing skulls. lol

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
This game is an absolute blast. Been speeding through the main story I believe beating the shit out of goblins as a Mystic. Class is flashy as hell and the sound effects for their attacks are ace. Currently lvl 17 right now and I should honestly check out the gathering professions and whanot, but I'm having way too much fun crushing skulls. lol

The main quest is a bit of a slog. There are a lot of quests but it is pretty worthwhile as you get some inventory slots and items along the way. It also takes you to most of the towns and cities and doing the main quest for the expansions will do the same with other regions.

I would recommend depositing your silver in the storage vendor in town as it weighs a lot.

Gathering can be pretty fun but it might be a bit annoying if your weight and inventory is still limited so maybe having fun stomping stuff in the main quest is actually better for now. :D

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks again for giving me the heads up about the current bonuses they are giving out. One of my fears with the game is the process of obtaining a horse, so to get one right now (a tier 7 at that I believe) is pretty goddamn cool. Will probably drop by the discord in a few days and see what's up as I find myself being drawn to this game more and more.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The main quest is a bit of a slog. There are a lot of quests but it is pretty worthwhile as you get some inventory slots and items along the way. It also takes you to most of the towns and cities and doing the main quest for the expansions will do the same with other regions.

I would recommend depositing your silver in the storage vendor in town as it weighs a lot.

Gathering can be pretty fun but it might be a bit annoying if your weight and inventory is still limited so maybe having fun stomping stuff in the main quest is actually better for now. :D

Thanks for the tip, I made sure to do that before I logged off last night. Should I focus on having conversations with NPCs? And if so, any guides out there that have determined the best order of topics to max out favor? And last question, would being a solid fisher lead to a profitable life or are there other gathering professions that are better suited for income. Thanks a bunch!

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip, I made sure to do that before I logged off last night. Should I focus on having conversations with NPCs? And if so, any guides out there that have determined the best order of topics to max out favor? And last question, would being a solid fisher lead to a profitable life or are there other gathering professions that are better suited for income. Thanks a bunch!

The game offers you many ways of earning your silver. Some of those require extensive preparation, others you can just jump right into. Fishing is the first lifeskill to be picked up by most, as all you gotta do is get a fishing rod and afk overnight. There are so-called fishing hotspots in towns that you will recognize by the vast amount of players gathered around it. In Velia, that is a spot at the beach, and in Heidel it is the river right at the storage keeper. Yet, while this is a great way of making money doing practically nothing, this method is crippled easily by your inventory size, especially early on.

There is plenty of guides out there on each of the lifeskill activities, really, but for now I'd recommend you focus on finishing the first storyline in order to increase your inventory space and gain better equipment through quest rewards. As for afk activities, you should go to a trade NPC and get some trading wares. Those will have you carry a backpack and severely slow you down. However, walking with this backpack on you increases your weight limit over time. Nothing crazy, but every bit will matter. In order to level this efficiently, select a long route within a city and activate auto-loop through the map. Then ensure your character does not get stuck anywhere, and you're good to go.

This game heavily encourages the creation of multiple characters, and most players at the very least seperate their primary character from their lifeskill character. Reason being, you'd typically want to fish at the same spot every night, or cook at your homebase in one of many towns, but your primary character will likely be somewhere completely different. The world is huge, I am sure you have noticed, and it can be bothersome to ride for 20 minutes at the end of the day just to start your afk activities.

As for conversing with NPCs... don't bother yourself just yet. Just be sure to talk to them once in order to gain knowledge about them. Completing knowledge categories increases your energy, which is used in lifeskill activities later.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously second guessing taking Tamer as my beast master main. Just realized her pet takes so many skill points to get to max effectiveness, while the Witch/Wizard only need 1.. wait they don't invest any points in their pets. Good range, pets that work well (unlike Tamer), awesome survivability compared to Tamer, etc. Having the beast is neat and riding it seems cool at times, but trying to fight things on it back seemed pointless. It's good for jumping off cliffs safely, and maybe jumping large gaps. Korea's Tamer seems great, I hope they are planning to bring that over.

Thankfully witch is still my most geared class, and it's just one level below Tamer. This is giving me Diabo 3 vanilla feelings all over again, with me trying to make Witch Doctor work in Torment Act2 with it's stupid and squishy AI, while Wizard and it's pets were very powerful and unkillable.

Wizards everytime. I might start associating them with being pet classes after these two examples lol. Witch Doctor did eventually become the better pet class of the two. Wizard was still hanging in though with those powerful hydra buffs on the pets side.

tamer pet in bdo is the weakest pet i've seen in any mmorpg since i started playing mmorpgs.. you realize that there are games where your pets can solo people and in those games people dont have access to iframe/block/sa like they do in bdo (so they are more limited by the game - refer to the first part of my post and why i chose to play korean games in the first place)

also witch/wiz will do less dmg without pet but it won't be as low as tamer and at the same time witch and wiz pet work 100% cus of the design of their skills - when they use a skill the pet always hits in a fixed area while tamer pet has to run to its target and often bugs out or hits the air or no target at all because if they gave fixed aoe pet damage to tamer (like witch wiz striker have) we would see a lot of people crying cus they cant be objective or fair

when striker uses his buddha monk breakdance stun skill the clones always do the same thing, when tamer uses fire staff the pet not always does the same thing and it often has queued skills and teleports left and right around and the pet doesnt always reliably hit the same place like other classes do
(I assume that the tamer pet missing and breaking is also another product of delay desync or increased ping)

Author Name = Irrelevant
https://community.blackdesertonline...problems-with-tamer.141510/page-2#post-828620

Interesting Tamer discussion going on there. Irrelevant seem like he has a ton of experience with the class, he does well with it in spite its flaws. I'll probably shift back to wizard to get faster exp for farming money and working towards unlocking that sweet level 61 ring (never getting 61)

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I think Tamer needs a bit of rework. She is at a really odd place for me with a mix of MP annoyances, melee range and limited AoE. When it comes to Heilang, easily the coolest pet but also currently the least effective. Ultimately I don't find her payoff as satisfying as some of the other characters such as Sorceress.

I stand by my opinion that the devs are getting better at making really effective classes, almost leaning on to being broken. That also means their starting classes needs more work to catch up. Heilang and Tamer look beautiful in action but BDO has never really been balanced. She is still strong enough as far as PvE goes but when it comes to PvP, it is more about the latest balance pushed trend. Minty is still lamenting warrior.

Tamer is still one of my favourite classes. I playing as her over Ranger and Witch. Maybe also more than Kun.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played Tamer myself, but used to watch a Tamer main on the regular on Twitch. From what I gathered, Tamer is a monster in one-on-one PvP, an absolute tank that excels even at lower ranges of AP thanks to one of their class-inherent skills. That actually is a huge perk, since the class can focus on raising DP over AP, which is considerably cheaper, and still dish out good amounts of damage. They falter at large-scale PvP due to their lack of AoE however, and the same can be said about grinding.

A change they made a few weeks ago allows the Tamer to buff DP of all of its party members, so it also is a great asset to have when party grinding at locations like Gyfin. I think it occupies a bit of a niche, but certainly a valuable one to.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Tamer seems to just be unreliable in a lot of things. Tight combo reliance, Legendary Beast Dance, the cloud ride escape/chase ability can be interrupted (too long of an animation), Heilang. I was trying to see if there was a way to tell when the Korea tamer Heilang fixes would come, but I got nothing.

If this was a one enemy at a time game, I would feel at home with Heilang's attack, stay, sit, follow commands. I'd treat it a bit like Final Fantasy XI's beastmaster. I wonder if I could get Heilang to pull 8 far away clusters towards me (Attack, wait, Follow commands) while I start working on a new cluster. Though that's something else Witch can do and melt that cluster without having to pull it with Toxic Flood, then alternate that with Magic Lighthouse (for pulling 8 extra enemies maybe since it does no damage). Witch/Wizard just seems to versatile, they can even pull more than 8 enemies which could have been Tamers thing, well if Striker, and whoever else it is couldn't also do it with their summons. I just found out Magic Lighthouse counts as a summon.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Tamer seems to just be unreliable in a lot of things. Tight combo reliance, Legendary Beast Dance, the cloud ride escape/chase ability can be interrupted (too long of an animation), Heilang. I was trying to see if there was a way to tell when the Korea tamer Heilang fixes would come, but I got nothing.

If this was a one enemy at a time game, I would feel at home with Heilang's attack, stay, sit, follow commands. I'd treat it a bit like Final Fantasy XI's beastmaster. I wonder if I could get Heilang to pull 8 far away clusters towards me (Attack, wait, Follow commands) while I start working on a new cluster. Though that's something else Witch can do and melt that cluster without having to pull it with Toxic Flood, then alternate that with Magic Lighthouse (for pulling 8 extra enemies maybe since it does no damage). Witch/Wizard just seems to versatile, they can even pull more than 8 enemies which could have been Tamers thing, well if Striker, and whoever else it is couldn't also do it with their summons. I just found out Magic Lighthouse counts as a summon.

What Heilang fixes are you refering to? We always get balance updates the same week as KR or one later, so we should have them by now.
And comparing your class to either Witch or Wizard is not something you should do. Those two are the best grinding classes in the game bar none. Every class falters compared to their grinding capabilities. If PvP matters to you at all, both of these classes absolutely struggle in the current meta, which actually has them less popular than they have ever been.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What Heilang fixes are you refering to? We always get balance updates the same week as KR or one later, so we should have them by now.
And comparing your class to either Witch or Wizard is not something you should do. Those two are the best grinding classes in the game bar none. Every class falters compared to their grinding capabilities. If PvP matters to you at all, both of these classes absolutely struggle in the current meta, which actually has them less popular than they have ever been.
Oh interesting, good to know. I was looking at the tamer KR patch, and noticed it seemed to line up with what was on ours, like the reduction in time to cast Heilang: Howling, so I looked over the US patch notes history to search for when the tamer changes were introduced and didn't find it. When people talk about Korea's Tamer, they seem to talk as if it's so much different from Tamers in other regions. All of the KR Patch below seem to be in current US build, but I didn't find it in a patch notes after June 7th 2018, weird. Though I did start skipping the pearl store update notes.

I really like the sound of the Attack and Follow in the notes. I've been so used to summoning Heilang and ordering him to attack the air to just put him in a battle mode and forgetting it. Now I will see how things are when I order him to attack often, especially big targets, and start using him to pull with Attack > Follow > attack after he's back to me.

June 7th 2018 Korea
https://www.invenglobal.com/article...es-june-7th-tamer-buffs-new-hpmp-bar-ui-added
[Tamer]

Heilang: Howling has been reworked.
- The cooldown has decreased to 40 seconds.
- If you have a target, Heilang will teleport to the target and use his skill.
- If you don't have a target, Heilang will use his skill on the spot where he is standing.
- The skill will inflict Stiffness instead of Knockback.
- The speed at which Heilang uses his skill has increased.

Absorb Heilang will have Super Armor.

Absorb Heilang V and VI will give the same effects to a maximum of 4 friendly targets.

Command: Attack and Command: Follow have been reworked.
- Attack: When the distance between Heilang and the target is more than 5m, Heilang will quickly approach the target to deal damage to the target and on the area around the target .
- Attack: The speed at which Heilang runs towards the target has increased by 1.5x.
- Attack: Heilang will deal 1.5x more damage and will not knockback enemies.
- Follow: Heilang will always appear right next to the Tamer, regardless of distance.

Heilang: Berserk - When Heilang's Berserk mode is over, Heilang will not disappear.

The distance at which the Tamer can target enemies has increased by 25%.

Legendary Beast Dance
- Vermillion Bird: The AoE of spinning attack and the last attack has increased.
- White Tiger: AoE has increased.

The first 2 hits of Garuda will deal more damage.

AoE of Flow: Soaring Strike has increased.

The Tamer will take less damage during the "going up" animation of Cloud Stomping.

You can now press F during Cloud Stomping to attack.

You can hold F after the attack during Cloud Stomping to activate Moonlight Strike.

Heilang's combo will attack the targets more naturally after Beast Rampage, Allround Spinner, Legendary Beast Dance, Whiplash, Surging Tide, Lightning of Earth, and Void Lightning.

AoE of Flow: Intimidation has changed to be in front of the Tamer.

I'm seeing that all versions of the game are on the same patch now after reading your post, and looking closely at the skills and KR Patch Notes. Maybe people separate KR Tamers because, "KR being so small everyone is pretty close to the servers (source of comment linked here)." I was actually going to play witch now and wait for our patch to catch up to that June 7th update. Bringing back my Diablo Wizard vs Witch Doctor early Inferno example though, if this is the updated Tamer, it's probably best to grind on Wizard with pets, and summoned pool aoe damage/aggro turrets and get faster money to fund a hobby Tamer (Beastmaster). I don't pvp, but when people come to me when I'm grinding I'd probably scare them more as a Witch, if not I can probably get away better with the teleports and invincibility frames. Also the world bosses with magic damage seem to squish tamers, and I plan to start messing with those. Wizard gets to stay back I suppose thanks to ranged abilities, and maybe magic shield.

This was posted on June 11th. This here kind of reminds me of Square Enix only listening to Japan players (FFXI). So if what Korea players think affects the patches of Tamers, and everyone wants to know how they feel to predict the future of Tamer, I can see why everyone place such importance on Korea. I learned a lot about the relationship of Korea BDO and everyone else now. Though they still seem to have the new classes a bit earlier.

June 21, 2018
Question:
We have just finished a large number of patches and a recent tamer "rework" so I am just wondering how KR thinks tamer is doing in terms of class standing compared to other classes in PvP in 1v1s, Node Wars, and Sieges and what specifically are the reasons for tamer being in that position in PvP.

Also does korea have the same problems with cloud stomping and cloud ride being changed to super armor as NA/EU is having and do they think that this should be reverted?

Answer:
KR players think that some parts of the changes were good, while other parts are bad. There are no significant changes in 1vs1, but the fact that the Tamer can now poke enemies from a distance using Heilang: Howling is a good change. The Tamer can now start a combo from a distance instead of trying to counter-attacking enemies. However, as the Tamer does not have any long Super Armor duration skills, it is hard to use Tamers in Node Wars.

And KR players don't like the changes with Cloud Stomping and Cloud Ride either. After the skills changed to Super Armor skills, the Tamer might get hit by the skills that pull enemies and cannot escape safely. However, KR players think that the skills should be reworked again rather than reverting the changes. After the June 7th patch in KR, the Tamer takes less damage during Cloud Stomping and they think that there should be more changes like this.
The guy didn't seem to like that answer. source: https://www.invenglobal.com/forum/b.../460-state-of-tamer?page=1&list=1&sort=recent

Long post but something else I found. There are a group of Tamers working to try to get some change. August 07, 2018 After the KR June patch.

"Bugged skills, slow movement speed/attack speed as compared to other classes, Heilang is unpredictable and unreliable as opposed to witch/wiz who have static pet follow up attacks, lost engage and disengage.

its a super fun class to play but when you get geared and spend thousands of hours with her its very clear she is outperformed in every function by every other class.

Edit: if you go to Tamer forums a thread was started recently where us Tamers are trying to organize our concerns to see if they will ever be addressed. Very knowledgeable players outlining the issues very clearly."

https://community.blackdesertonline...llection-for-the-devs-a-rallying-call.267358/

Come participate...we are tired of being ignored by devs and community. Devs forgot about us and community thinks we're "fine" cause someone got beat 1v1 vs some 270 ap tamer with absorb buff active." - Littledansonman1 Reddit (link)

Last edited:

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Currently fishing in Heidel and I see someone from here is doing the same. lol

Currently lvl 28 and still having a blast, to the point I'm contemplating on whether I should put BfA on the back burner. XD

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I sort of hope they don't tone down the bloom too much. I find it's ridiculousness funny in a way, but also moody when the lighting is very right.

yS4Xv2K.jpg

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Currently fishing in Heidel and I see someone from here is doing the same. lol

Currently lvl 28 and still having a blast, to the point I'm contemplating on whether I should put BfA on the back burner. XD

Glad you're still enjoying the game. That guy you saw in Heidel must have been Minty, our guild leader!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, lol they increased the profit of selling costumes on the marketplace. 110mil per instead of about 30mil. Adjusted for monster hunting inflation? That's a big jump, and you can just get rich so fast by buying lot less packs to sell. Will this cause other pearl items to be dried up on the marketplace?

This is about the p2w cron stone conversion huh? A non payer could buy a costume on the market place and convert to cron stones for free. The dev is probably slowing down the free safe pen attempts.

BEqXUvC.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo, lol they increased the profit of selling costumes on the marketplace. 110mil per instead of about 30mil. Adjusted for monster hunting inflation? That's a big jump, and you can just get rich so fast by buying lot less packs to sell. Will this cause other pearl items to be dried up on the marketplace?

This is about the p2w cron stone conversion huh? A non payer could buy a costume on the market place and convert to cron stones for free. The dev is probably slowing down the free safe pen attempts.

Given a single outfit box yields over 200 cron stones, that translates to a value of 200M for enhancing. Reflecting that value is their official reason for the price increase. They also bumped up the prices of other pearl items to keep them competitive. I am not sure we can expect less pets to go up moving forward, but there will definitely be a lot more outfit boxes given the increase in profit. Unfortunately, it will be even tougher to get one when everyone wants the outfits just to melt them down.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Given a single outfit box yields over 200 cron stones, that translates to a value of 200M for enhancing. Reflecting that value is their official reason for the price increase. They also bumped up the prices of other pearl items to keep them competitive. I am not sure we can expect less pets to go up moving forward, but there will definitely be a lot more outfit boxes given the increase in profit. Unfortunately, it will be even tougher to get one when everyone wants the outfits just to melt them down.

Oh everything increased. This is going to be interesting.

Ooh I can sell the value packs I've been sitting on from buying that Explorer's Pack last year. 70mil, that doesn't seem worth it though. I wish I could sell the bleach and Elion's Blessings.

They are going to be rolling in the money from this.

T2V2wEx.jpg

[print]$$$$$$$$[/print]
What a time to come back to this game huh?

Last edited:

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Currently lvl 34 and just read about the changes. So... am I screwed unless I break out the wallet in terms of being competitive with other players? LOL

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Currently lvl 34 and just read about the changes. So... am I screwed unless I break out the wallet in terms of being competitive with other players? LOL

To be honest with you, it would have been difficult for you to catch up either way. Some people have been working on equipment upgrades for years, and it'd likely take you a similarly long time to reach their gearscore. This is despite the fact they have made leveling much easier and become much more charitable with item giveaways.

That being said, you'll have trouble finding many of those hardcore PvPers willing to drop thousands(!) of dollars on this game to upgrade their equipment on the spot. Since upgrades are never guaranteed, some people will spend that amount and still have nothing to show for it but their empty wallets. You have to be a higher level of depraved to buy into these P2W mechanics.

The game offers a plethora of grinding options later on, and the kind of people really that depraved will always choose the very best to slaughter themselves over, leaving plenty of other places available.

In the end, nothing really changes for you.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

To some degree yeah. There are certain things which is simply stupid that there is no reasonable way to get in game such as pets which you can have 5 of at any given time or some of the lifeskill perk costumes. The pets pick up loot for you which makes grinding for loot reasonable. Some of the costumes are more about convenience or efficiency such as the ability to process items straight from your storage.

The issue with catch up to a competitive state is always a question of method and speed. The worker and node system means you can generate passive income and this can be spent on purchasing gear off the market place. In the current state of things reaching +15 in gear (aka PEN) is extremely RNG and there is now an option to fuel the process by buying items in the shop and sacrificing it.

I've spent some money on the game over years but majority of it is in convenience (costumes, massive inventory/weight expansions) or the Value Pack/Subscription package. For pets I dipped a couple of times on pets that I liked but I have more than enough to fill the slots with just free event/login pets as well as stuff I won off the market place. If I spent the silver I earned in game towards gear instead of costumes off the marketplace I'm pretty sure I'll be at a pretty competitive state but as a super casual player I'm not really into that. I have far more fun running around testing new classes or even doing bosses and exploring on some of the classes I have but don't use too often.

Also, I might be wrong because it isn't really my area but I believe there are still things you can do in group pvp if you are not as strong as others.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Leveling hunting has been super fun to do. I'll be pushing for Artisan for sure. The key to enjoying this game is to be varied in your long-term goals. It offers too much to neglect one over the other, and focusing on just one activity might leave you frustrated on the long run.

I'll still never try farming.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. We'll I'm still going to keep at it, and if I must I most likely will break out the wallet if I absolutely need to. The game is too much fun and I don't want to quit now.

Will probably take a look at this enhancement stuff soon to find out when I should be doing it,

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Leveling hunting has been super fun to do. I'll be pushing for Artisan for sure. The key to enjoying this game is to be varied in your long-term goals. It offers too much to neglect one over the other, and focusing on just one activity might leave you frustrated on the long run.

I'll still never try farming.
I'll do some hunting leveling soon. I do want to get into it and maybe even put my ship to use. Although I seem to remember reading Fishing Boats are better for it? I took the time to familarise with farming, my Kunoichi was my farmer. While I no longer do it because I'm not really actively going for farming > Cooking > money, I did make use of it again last time the cherry blossom even took place. My Grana mansion is wonderful now. o/

Damn. We'll I'm still going to keep at it, and if I must I most likely will break out the wallet if I absolutely need to. The game is too much fun and I don't want to quit now.
My usual method is to see how far I can go without paying extra. If I'm enjoying the game and want to stick around I generally don't mind spending some more. What I am against however is paying purely for progression and money dumping. A little present for myself here and there isn't too bad if I'm enjoying the game I think.

Edit. How are you liking the Mystic?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My usual method is to see how far I can go without paying extra. If I'm enjoying the game and want to stick around I generally don't mind spending some more. What I am against however is paying purely for progression and money dumping. A little present for myself here and there isn't too bad if I'm enjoying the game I think.

Edit. How are you liking the Mystic?

I'm loving the Mystic. The sound effects for her strikes are on point and I love her flashy combos. I just hope I can get her geared in a reasonable time frame (which sounds unlikely as you guys put it) as I don't want to get bodied by other players constantly haha.

I'm more of a PvE person but I guess the endgame in this is more focused on PvP.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I'm more of a PvE person but I guess the endgame in this is more focused on PvP.

Oh even better. I think this is generally a bit easier since you're not constantly chasing the very top. I guess later gearing for PvE is more for smooth, group grinds and bosses. There are also other activities, Biestmann and I were just talking about taking up some hunting. Non-PvP content itself can stretch quite far I think though the game does lack co-operative raid type events. The Savage Rift is interesting but not really the same. I quite like just exploring and mapping the world by activating the nodes.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh even better. I think this is generally a bit easier since you're not constantly chasing the very top. I guess later gearing for PvE is more for smooth, group grinds and bosses. There are also other activities, Biestmann and I were just talking about taking up some hunting. Non-PvP content itself can stretch quite far I think though the game does lack co-operative raid type events. The Savage Rift is interesting but not really the same. I quite like just exploring and mapping the world by activating the nodes.

Oh yeah? Around what level can you do hunts? If you can get decent gear from boss grinds that sounds right up my alley. lol

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Oh yeah? Around what level can you do hunts? If you can get decent gear from boss grinds that sounds right up my alley. lol

Hunting is a profession much like gathering, fishing, horse training. It needs to be leveled from scratch. There is no rush for it and eventually I believe the big game hunting is to hunt the blue whales out at sea on a boat. I haven't actually started hunting at all so Biestmann or someone else will be able to explain better than I can.

There are arguments that bosses aren't really worth doing because they drop boss chests which give their gear at base level. Enhancing hell often refers to boss grade items because the repair costs here are the steepest. Rare (blue) and normal (green) gear are not too difficult or costly to upgrade over time. I don't go and fight all bosses but I do enjoy them from time to time and even the off chance I get a boss item I can't use I can still make a tidy bit of profit from it. I actually had pretty decent boss runs before I took my short break, I think I got 3 kzarka boxes in about 10~ runs. Probably all my luck for the year.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hunting is a profession much like gathering, fishing, horse training. It needs to be leveled from scratch. There is no rush for it and eventually I believe the big game hunting is to hunt the blue whales out at sea on a boat. I haven't actually started hunting at all so Biestmann or someone else will be able to explain better than I can.

There are arguments that bosses aren't really worth doing because they drop boss chests which give their gear at base level. Enhancing hell often refers to boss grade items because the repair costs here are the steepest. Rare (blue) and normal (green) gear are not too difficult or costly to upgrade over time. I don't go and fight all bosses but I do enjoy them from time to time and even the off chance I get a boss item I can't use I can still make a tidy bit of profit from it. I actually had pretty decent boss runs before I took my short break, I think I got 3 kzarka boxes in about 10~ runs. Probably all my luck for the year.

I gotcha. At this point I would say my desire is to be geared enough so I can grind in peace and make a decent income doing so.

Oh and thank you two for suggesting I wear a trading pack while I afk loop to increase my strength. Worked like a charm!

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

The official BDO Youtube uploaded a trailer for the upcoming Drieghan region! Now date given yet, but hopefully a community post will let us know more soon. Finally!

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone still playing this here? I just got back into it myself and I'm totally lost.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I'm tempted to get this on Xbox One X when it releases, I have not played a MMORPG since the vanilla World of Warcraft days.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The guild is on and off in terms of activity. I think Minty is still on. Our discord is still regularly active even if we're just discussing updates, events and such. There just isn't the same buzz in this thread as there was at launch back on GAF.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I just got this, took a 7 day pass one to try it out. Started a Archer, reached level 16.

I am completely confused, it seems like most guides just say kill mobs and level. Do I do quests or what little quests are there?

What is the node management thing?

Skills seemed to be 2 ways - one unlocked based on character level and others learned using points. Is that correct?

Is the goal basically to get to level 56 or something and not worry about anything?

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
I just got this, took a 7 day pass one to try it out. Started a Archer, reached level 16.

I am completely confused, it seems like most guides just say kill mobs and level. Do I do quests or what little quests are there?

What is the node management thing?

Skills seemed to be 2 ways - one unlocked based on character level and others learned using points. Is that correct?

Is the goal basically to get to level 56 or something and not worry about anything?

Questing is very important for inventory expansion, Roaring Magical Armor quest series from the black spirit, energy, knowledge, contribution points and many other things.

56 will unlock your class awakening quests. This will unlock the full potential of your class and give you your class awakening weapon. Archer is special in the sense that they start with their awakening weapon(only class in the game that does this). When you get to 56 you'll be able to unlock the rest of your awakening skills.

IMO a brand new player shouldn't be racing to lvl56. You're most likely going to burn yourself out on gridning mobs and not learn about anything else the game offers.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I want to bump this thread to highlight two additions Pearl Abyss has introduced to the game these past two months. Game legitimately feels different now.

1# Shadow Arena

A new battle royale mode that sees 50 players fight it out either alone or in a party of three. You begin as a black spirit and choose a class to possess once the round starts. This mode is separate from the MMO, meaning everyone is on an equal footing. It's tons of fun and you get rewards for the main game in form of memory fragments among other things. And that's a game changer, since they used to be frustratingly difficult to come by. No more so.

2# Dark Rift

Strong bosses will spawn across the world of BDO just for you alone to fight. They reward you with accessories you'd never see in your life previously like Ogre Rings and so forth. They can even go up to DUO on drop! Fighting these guys has been a lot of fun, and the rewards just are great. Riding towards a rift means knowing your efforts will be rewarded even before you get there.

BDO has always been an on and off affair for me, but playing these days has been a lot of fun. I recommend lapsed players to come back and give the Shadow Arena a shot in particular. Our guild's always open!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'll check out some youtube videos to see how the BR turned out.

I was never a fan of pvp in BDO, or actually participating in battle royale outside of Apex and Realm Royale (the magic spell caster one looks like it's going to be amazing too). I think I saw that gear and pearl shop advantages won't be a thing in this BR mode, if all players are equal, it kind of make me wish that worked for PVE leveling zones at the least. Also I'd be super surprised since it's one less thing for Pearl Abyss to make pearl shop money on. Would they be selling battle passes, and frequent new skins? Now I'm interested in seeing how they went about their monetization on it.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'll check out some youtube videos to see how the BR turned out.

I was never a fan of pvp in BDO, or actually participating in battle royale outside of Apex and Realm Royale (the magic spell caster one looks like it's going to be amazing too). I think I saw that gear and pearl shop advantages won't be a thing in this BR mode, if all players are equal, it kind of make me wish that worked for PVE leveling zones at the least. Also I'd be super surprised since it's one less thing for Pearl Abyss to make pearl shop money on. Would they be selling battle passes, and frequent new skins? Now I'm interested in seeing how they went about their monetization on it.

As of now, you get additional rewards if you have an active Kamasylvia Blessing. While I have a few from events, they are sold in the pearl shop as well and are comparable to value packs. That's all the monetization there is at this point.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Xbox player here. Glad the console version is separate from the PC version for the sole reason of getting people to start the meta off from 0.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
How's the game performance? The beta was terrible

On the S, performance can be choppy depending on the amount of shit around you. It's not unplayable, though. Most of the performance hits happen in towns—textures and NPCs taking a few seconds to load, etc—but the only overworld "problem" is that pop-in can be a bit aggressive at a close distance.

I don't know what the game is like on the X, but I've been hearing people say that with HDR off performance is great.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So I realize that I'll probably get melted for asking this question and probably very few can actually answer lol, but is it worth picking this up if I only have the OG Xbox One?