• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I went to the website and clicked on the "start 7 day free trial" - I input my email. I got the email and verified my account...I don't see where to download the launcher or start the trial. Kind of an irritating experience...

Edit: Found it under Account. Why make it so hard, though?!

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I went to the website and clicked on the "start 7 day free trial" - I input my email. I got the email and verified my account...I don't see where to download the launcher or start the trial. Kind of an irritating experience...

Edit: Found it under Account. Why make it so hard, though?!

If you find that irritating, wait for the actual experience! I recommend joining our Discord and maybe guild so we can give you advice. You'll have plenty of questions.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Good morning, everyone! Santa Biestmann brings you both patch notes and pearl shop updates!

[URL='https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/641']Patch Notes - 20th December 2017[/url]

Highlights:
  • Farming buff! Following actions will be faster as the character's Farming level grows: Harvest, Upgrade, Killing Insects, Pruning
  • Kutum Sub-Weapons now available from the Night Vendor
  • Claim a free maid by talking to the Black Spirit! [Level 52 or higher; once per family]

New Events

[URL='https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/650']Special Sales/Pearl Shop - 20th December 2017[/url]

!There won't be maintenance on December 27th!​

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if I can get a Santa hat with this event.

Btw, now that I'm Mystic 55 close to 56 I found a flaw with her, she's totally not controller friendly lol

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Man, I feel so aimless in this game. Doing the Black Spirit quests aren't fun, and trying to find other things to do feels like such a chore.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Man, I feel so aimless in this game. Doing the Black Spirit quests aren't fun, and trying to find other things to do feels like such a chore.

I can definitely agree with this especially at the beginning where I didn't know what I should be doing or even what I wanted to be doing.

In the end I just did a bit of everything before finding a few things I did like and looking up some quick start guides for that. It turned out to be
1. Combat
2. Investing in a node empire and having workers collect stuff to hoard.
3. Exploration and expanding the map.

Later I also enjoyed a bit of gathering and cooking as well as boss hunting when I feel like it.

I really enjoyed learning different characters and combat so I started making a bunch of alt characters which is also pretty useful for other things.

The black spirit missions were incredibly boring because there wasn't much in terms of difficulty or rewards. You greatly out level the story events. Doing them repeatedly was burning away the enjoyment of the game as i was constantly hoping for something good but not getting it. I think I got to around level 30 when i stopped, power leveled a bit and just went out exploring and trying different stuff. There is no right or wrong approach to this, some guilds stick to life skills almost entirely for example.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

Exploration was big for me starting out, and again when I decided to collect knowledge entry of areas, NPCs and monsters. Then I began building my lifeskill empire and created a worker node system. Of course, I grind some like everyone else. Basically anything you do in this game is progress, so no time spent is really wasted. Of course, if you don't enjoy yourself doing any of those things, maybe the sandbox approach to MMOs isn't for you.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I only had to fight off 1 other player at Catfish this time. Oddly enough they weren't as geared as I was and kind of ran away mid fight.
bhXsKBh.gif

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game due to the Steam sale, and I've never been so confused playing any other MMO. Everything's so different. I'm sure I'll figure it all out in time, but I also get the feeling that the game isn't telling me about everything I should know about.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I bought the game due to the Steam sale, and I've never been so confused playing any other MMO. Everything's so different. I'm sure I'll figure it all out in time, but I also get the feeling that the game isn't telling me about everything I should know about.

Game certainly doesn't explain itself very well, especially when you look outside of combat , because there's so much of it. In some towns there's quests that guide you through lifeskills, and the black spirit quest more or less guides you through combat (it's too long though).

I just saw this thread in the subreddit that is fairly good for newcomers

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/7lmv41/rundown_for_beginners/

I only had to fight off 1 other player at Catfish this time. Oddly enough they weren't as geared as I was and kind of ran away mid fight.

I noticed Mystic is tanky as fuck and pretty annoying to fight (even if her damage is pretty shit), so maybe that's why.

Btw this Asula grind is killing me lol

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I left the game running in the system tray while my character ran through town with a pack on his back. It's weird how this game embraces AFK progression like that.
Thanks for the link, Ferrs.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Join the guild!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit this Christmas event is a fucking disaster.
First they don't tell you Santa don't appear in Olvia servers. Second the fucker tends to drop the presents on top of buildings, so good luck grabing them, Third he takes his sweet old ass time to drop one, so you waste a lot of time following him, and of course, the present is shared by everyone, because even Christmas events have to be based on your luck.

EDIT: Finally got my Santa hat. That was almost as bad as my Asula farming lol

EDIT2: Just saw Jesus
wjKORTF.jpg

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I'm not a huge fan of this Christmas event either but I'm not even sure what I expected really.

Admittedly racing across Velia to grab a dropped santa present before another player does is some of the most fun I've had in the game recently.

I was sort of collecting casually until a Kunoichi snatched a box I was clearly going for then typed vroom vroom into the chat. It was on! Lol

Kunoichi and Mystics are dumbly quick. I'm a Maehwa so I really have no right to complain as I dash around the map but the Kunoichi's double jump and dash makes her fantastic at crossing roof tops. The Mystic was just oddly quick all round. A poor Witch tried to join us and had to use a quick horse to get around the town. Eventually she left.

I ended up with heaps of items. So many of those silly straw helmets and roast chickens. I got plenty of wall decos but I was mostly after the candles as I think they look nice and I'll find a good home for them eventually.

edit. The boxes mostly drop around the same few locations. I can pretty much do laps checking most of the places I see them and eventually run into boxes if I find a server where no one is actively watching for drops. Sometimes I find boxes stacked in on each other in the same spot.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of this Christmas event either but I'm not even sure what I expected really.

Admittedly racing across Velia to grab a dropped santa present before another player does is some of the most fun I've had in the game recently.

I was sort of collecting casually until a Kunoichi snatched a box I was clearly going for then typed vroom vroom into the chat. It was on! Lol

Kunoichi and Mystics are dumbly quick. I'm a Maehwa so I really have no right to complain as I dash around the map but the Kunoichi's double jump and dash makes her fantastic at crossing roof tops. The Mystic was just oddly quick all round. A poor Witch tried to join us and had to use a quick horse to get around the town. Eventually she left.

I ended up with heaps of items. So many of those silly straw helmets and roast chickens. I got plenty of wall decos but I was mostly after the candles as I think they look nice and I'll find a good home for them eventually.

edit. The boxes mostly drop around the same few locations. I can pretty much do laps checking most of the places I see them and eventually run into boxes if I find a server where no one is actively watching for drops. Sometimes I find boxes stacked in on each other in the same spot.

Ended up getting a lot of hats, and one of each decor, but I wanted more duplicated but keep getting stupid weird hats lol oh well

Merry Christmas to all!

bPOO1Tn.jpg

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm not sure if I want to buy the full game on Steam since I have $90 in my Steam wallet, or if I should take the free code.

What are the disadvantages / advantages between the Steam and launcher versions? Aside from having to uninstall and reinstall the entire damn massive game.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I'm not sure if I want to buy the full game on Steam since I have $90 in my Steam wallet, or if I should take the free code.

What are the disadvantages / advantages between the Steam and launcher versions? Aside from having to uninstall and reinstall the entire damn massive game.

For one, they're not compatible. Since you started your trial version off Steam, you'll have to stick to it if you want to keep your account and your characters.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For one, they're not compatible. Since you started your trial version off Steam, you'll have to stick to it if you want to keep your account and your characters.
Well, that settles that!

Edit: Er, I didn't start the free trial on Steam. I did it through the launcher, FYI.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So, Mystic Awakening, it's cool and I love my Dragon thingy, but it's so similar to the regular skills that it's a shame that the pre-awakening gets outdated. Jin skills can't come soon enough.

Btw, Mystic has been the final nail off my Sorc coffin... and it sucks because I wasted money on it, but I enjoy it so much more lol Don't waste money on single character stuff, kids.

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017
So, Mystic Awakening, it's cool and I love my Dragon thingy, but it's so similar to the regular skills that it's a shame that the pre-awakening gets outdated. Jin skills can't come soon enough.

Btw, Mystic has been the final nail off my Sorc coffin... and it sucks because I wasted money on it, but I enjoy it so much more lol Don't waste money on single character stuff, kids.
Well, pa seems to be buffing older classes now..so who knows, sorc will be buffed and become op again!

Oct 25, 2017
Any guides out there on how to set up my nodes properly so I can actually level my life skills? I have like 122 CP and they're all poorly spent lol so I just pulled em out but now i have no idea what to do.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well, pa seems to be buffing older classes now..so who knows, sorc will be buffed and become op again!

Oh, it's not about being OP (my "main" is Ranger, Sorc was my sub lol). It's just I enjoy Mystic combat, it feels like it's the most "smooth", the class that has better mobility, and this is kept with her awakening, and I value that over than AP scaling, considering I have to torture myself to hours and hours of grind lol

But yeah I'm not selling anything from my Sorc yet. And with the free marketplace maid it seems like getting some pearl issues is "less" of an issue.

Any guides out there on how to set up my nodes properly so I can actually level my life skills? I have like 122 CP and they're all poorly spent lol so I just pulled em out but now i have no idea what to do.

Dulfy has a lot of guides for various stuff

http://dulfy.net/2016/03/01/black-desert-node-management-and-hiring-workers-basic-guide/

Here you have a map with all the modes

http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Meanwhile I have monies on my Maehwa.
miAZ2Yr.gif

I haven't abandoned her though even if my other characters feel easier, stronger and just all round more efficient. Maehwa looks so stylish in combat and her attacks flow together so nicely. Shame!

Oh man thanks this is perfect! I have 2 level 53s from ages ago but I have never leveled up a single life skill lol so I figured I'd give that a shot.
Lifeskill is one of those things I like to do when I'm less committed to playing the game. A lot of it isn't very exciting and takes a bit to get going. I do like exploring how to do each life skill though and there are still stuff I haven't tried :P

Oct 25, 2017
Lifeskill is one of those things I like to do when I'm less committed to playing the game. A lot of it isn't very exciting and takes a bit to get going. I do like exploring how to do each life skill though and there are still stuff I haven't tried :P
Yeah I basically played a ton at NA launch and then came back when musa released to play a musa but since then I haven't played much at all. And I realized that I've never once done a single Life Skill lmao so I figured I might give that a shot now that I'm feeling like playing again lol.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not only I wasted all my stones trying to get my green Awa to TRI, I also had a brainfart and used a char I had +40 fs saved for IV to get it back to DUO

crying.gif

Last edited:

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017
Not only I wasted all my stones trying to get my green Awa to TRI, I also had a brainfart and used a char I had +40 fs saved for IV to get it back to DUO
I know that pain..Last week, I accidentally used 35 FS to pri bares ring..-__________-. I've used black smith secret book to save my fs only when it was +40, but now anything over 30 is getting saved.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know that pain..Last week, I accidentally used 35 FS to pri bares ring..-__________-. I've used black smith secret book to save my fs only when it was +40, but now anything over 30 is getting saved.

Makes me feel a lil better tbh lol

I honestly always buy my stuff, but Mystic gear is imposible to get right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying my witch at the moment, it's nuts how much they sped up the 1-56 levels, i feel like i can knock em out in a day if i was straight grinding. I guess they're trying to fast track every one to their awakening weapon.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I think the lack of skill points is a bigger annoyance right now. I hit 56 and was pretty much forced to scrap all my previous skills and reinvest the points for awakening first. I don't remember having this issue with some of my earlier characters.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying my witch at the moment, it's nuts how much they sped up the 1-56 levels, i feel like i can knock em out in a day if i was straight grinding. I guess they're trying to fast track every one to their awakening weapon.

I think it's kind of a problem, you rush from 56 so much you barely learn to play, and then you get a huge change of pacing with levels taking +10hours to level up.

IMO they should both buff exp required on lower levels and nerf the higher ones. Of course it's not going to happen though.

Tbh I also think Awakening being flat out better it's also a problem. It should be more balanced. I know there's Jin skills but the SP required are insane..

I think the lack of skill points is a bigger annoyance right now. I hit 56 and was pretty much forced to scrap all my previous skills and reinvest the points for awakening first. I don't remember having this issue with some of my earlier characters.

Mystic? same is happening to me, it's the first class that I have this much problems with SPs.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The awakening system is honestly pretty poor. It shouldn't have replaced the first set of weapons, it should have been a strong addition that combos/flows between weapons while using different skills.

I'm mostly bitter that old classes feel mostly neglected until people kick up enough stink about it. Its like play testers test the new classes and say "Yeah this feels great" but doesn't go back and compare it to the old ones. Some classes simply flat out decimate their way up while others will struggle with shitty movement, shitty hit boxes and soggy cereal damage.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Marni stones have properly fucked my exp rotation. Some Sausan idiots are now at Bashims. And Fadus exp is miserable.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of a problem, you rush from 56 so much you barely learn to play, and then you get a huge change of pacing with levels taking +10hours to level up.
Wouldn't this also cause characters to have a lack of skill points available? My valk which I leveled to 52 at launch has like nearly 350sp and my witch who is 40 barely has 180

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't this also cause characters to have a lack of skill points available? My valk which I leveled to 52 at launch has like nearly 350sp and my witch who is 40 barely has 180

Skill points are already a huge problem, another thing that needs a rebalancing.

... it makes me angry how much shit needs a rebalance and yet they refuse to do anything lol

Oct 25, 2017
So about how frequently are outfits even listed on the marketplace? I've been trying to get something to change my sorceress appearance for what feels like years now lol.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
So about how frequently are outfits even listed on the marketplace? I've been trying to get something to change my sorceress appearance for what feels like years now lol.
Quite frequently but I wouldn't bet on getting exactly what you want. Between costumes for all the characters and all the costumes available there are some that are simply more common. Heled for DK for instance has been going pretty strong and of course the mystic costumes are very popular at the moment.

Sorceress I still see Lucien costumes fairly regularly, I would put a notification on it and maybe a few of the other ones.

You can try requesting via the server and world chat channels. I haven't had much luck but I've seen some others get some costumes put up for them (which they lost the bid to).

There is currently the 10 and 20% off coupons that expire soon. If you still have them it might be good to just buy the costume you like especially if it is one rarely seen put up on market (can generally tell by how many boxes have been sold).

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Those are for the pearl shop right? I'm guessing they dont stack right?
Sadly they don't stack and can't be used on a basket of items, you need a singular transaction from the pearl shop and apply the coupon before paying.

The pet package isn't bad. If you haven't got pets then I recommend this, they really help speed up loot/money grind efficiency.

Regarding pets, I would recommend a cat since it can make gathering a lot less frustrating as they will show you which ore/tree can be gathered from.

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly they don't stack and can't be used on a basket of items, you need a singular transaction from the pearl shop and apply the coupon before paying.

The pet package isn't bad. If you haven't got pets then I recommend this, they really help speed up loot/money grind efficiency.

Regarding pets, I would recommend a cat since it can make gathering a lot less frustrating as they will show you which ore/tree can be gathered from.

Awesome thanks for the tip, I've only got one pet, that silly chick with the egg shell on its head thing I got as a login reward lol. It auto loots rare equipment for me which is great. I dunno about dropping 30 bucks on pearls though, I might just set up notifications on outfits that interest me and wait it out.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Awesome thanks for the tip, I've only got one pet, that silly chick with the egg shell on its head thing I got as a login reward lol. It auto loots rare equipment for me which is great. I dunno about dropping 30 bucks on pearls though, I might just set up notifications on outfits that interest me and wait it out.

All right. Do note that some outfits can't be placed on the market place. Desert/Forrest Camo, Riding, Cooking/Canape, Processing/Maid, Fishing, Shark will never be placed on the market and these ones have buffs you can't really get elsewhere.
I think I read Canape has cooking + regular outfit buffs which is pretty great.

Don't feel too pressured though, the coupons will come again eventually. I didn't spend pearls until I played for over 6 months and was still interested ;)

Oct 25, 2017
All right. Do note that some outfits can't be placed on the market place. Desert/Forrest Camo, Riding, Cooking/Canape, Processing/Maid, Fishing, Shark will never be placed on the market and these ones have buffs you can't really get elsewhere.
I think I read Canape has cooking + regular outfit buffs which is pretty great.

Don't feel too pressured though, the coupons will come again eventually. I didn't spend pearls until I played for over 6 months and was still interested ;)

Alright cool that's good to know. So something a bit more immediate though, I've got 118 AP and 148 DP on my sorceress and 124 accuracy and I'm trying to farm out the Asula's pieces so I'm at helms and elric's shrine. However it's roouughh out here, despite the thing recommending at minimum 110 AP It's taking ages to kill things and if I pull certain enemies it's basically time to run lol. I'm using all of my sorc's strongest abilities off cool down so I'm not quite sure what's going on here, how can I smooth this grind out lol. This is like "full attention" kind of difficult.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Alright cool that's good to know. So something a bit more immediate though, I've got 118 AP and 148 DP on my sorceress and 124 accuracy and I'm trying to farm out the Asula's pieces so I'm at helms and elric's shrine. However it's roouughh out here, despite the thing recommending at minimum 110 AP It's taking ages to kill things and if I pull certain enemies it's basically time to run lol. I'm using all of my sorc's strongest abilities off cool down so I'm not quite sure what's going on here, how can I smooth this grind out lol. This is like "full attention" kind of difficult.

What level are you? Are you awakened and do you have skill add ons? Since you are farming accessories the more immediate things to upgrade would be the awakening weapon followed by the main hand then the offhand. Your armor is a bit low as well, first PRI then DUO as you go up. The first set is always going to be difficult. Rather than trying to upgrade every piece I suggest you pick maybe 2 or 3 and buy the rest. You can get the Roaring armor chest piece from the Black Spirit quests. It gives you the Dim Magic armor or something like that and it upgrades to 60DP IIRC. You can also use the free offhand weapon given in the same manner. It gives a little AP and about 18 DP I think. It isn't great but it is a decent enough option to allow you to prioritize other areas a bit.

At Helms, avoid the big Metal guy. That is a bad fight at your AP/DP. If you DO fight him, be sure to use your guard with the Scythe, you press RMB to slam the scythe down and enter a guard stance.

At Elrics, I struggled there for a bit but once I got into a rhythm it was ok. The little red cape dudes will kick your shit at range. I usually target them first because they go down pretty quick but also because if I don't see them and they hit me in the back it hurts. They also have knockback which is annoying.

If the enemies are higher level than you (purple) having higher accuracy will also help a lot.

If you want some immediate accessories, Red Coral Rings are cheap and pretty good value early on and remain pretty good backups. I suppose it also depends on how much you want to spent. If you want to buy a weapon, green tri awakening is a good start that should last quite a while. DUO is also an option. I wouldn't go lower than that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The offhand weapons can be upgraded while you progress the Mediah quests. It ends up adding like 20 AP or so.

Be sure to also use the strongest skills. Sadly skills are very unbalanced and only a couple of them are worth it.

There's also main hand and foot/hands/helmet lvl54 quest items that are like a PRI gear. Be advised the hands quest is extremely anoying lol