• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
What level are you? Are you awakened and do you have skill add ons?
I'm 54 so no I'm not awakened yet lol, but I do have skill addons set up, dream of doom for MP recovery on hit and bloody calamity for extra health, the enemies are all green but whenever the white enemies show up it gets bad enough that I'm basically spamming potions on cool down. I've got the yellow off hand from that quest that I'm using now but I think I need to be 55 to get the final upgrade for my chest piece since I just got the blue one and I'm using it with the rest of the pieces being the heve's set.

Will awakening and leveling up really help that much? It seems like I have to wail on a guy for a good 30 seconds straight to kill it, and if I pull a big pack then it takes so much longer since I'm trying to avoid getting killed more than I am doing damage. It wasn't anywhere near this bad at the abandoned mine and all the areas seem to recommend similar enough AP requirements.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
You get 1 more add on at 54, take Claws of Darkness or dark flames with additional monster ap. Max these skills if you haven't as they deal great damage. Between these two and shard Explosion you should be able to fair quite well. Don't use dream for mp in tough/dangerous areas unless you have the quick cast upgrade. It is too slow, use mp pots.
Be sure to use your shield of darkness/free dp boost.

I think it is Dark Flame that has frontal guard so that really helps out sometimes once you get the timing right as you can just keep on attacking.

Depending on skill points available you can do sneaky stuff, Sorceress has a skill that converts a chunk of hp into shards of darkness, you can use shard Explosion then convert for more shards, explode again then blood calamity the hp back. If it doesn't kill, try proving your add on monster ap buff first.

If you need help I'm happy to go grinding in the areas! Minty probably needs help leveling his Maehwa too!

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thanks for the heads up mephala, I've pretty much all of those set up or maxed out that way but I didn't know that dark flame had frontal guard and that'll really help a lot with up time with enemies so I'm not constantly warping in and out of a fight. Also that trick with shards seems pretty awesome, I gotta give that a shot, i've mostly just been alternating between consuming my shards for the buff and exploding them. I've got like almost 500 SP on my sorc since she's an old character so I think I've got enough to make something functional.

My family name is Drillingsworth if you wanna add me!

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thanks for the heads up mephala, I've pretty much all of those set up or maxed out that way but I didn't know that dark flame had frontal guard and that'll really help a lot with up time with enemies so I'm not constantly warping in and out of a fight. Also that trick with shards seems pretty awesome, I gotta give that a shot, i've mostly just been alternating between consuming my shards for the buff and exploding them. I've got like almost 500 SP on my sorc since she's an old character so I think I've got enough to make something functional.

My family name is Drillingsworth if you wanna add me!
Join the guild!

Just focus on hitting level 56. Once you do, you get the Scythe, and everything dies approximately 3 times as fast. 55 to 56 is a weird difficulty spike that goes away.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Its been so long since I leveled pre-awa Sorc but I remember Claw of Darkness to Dark Flame being the bread and butter combo , especially for Dark Flame.

But yeah Scythe speeds up things a lot. This is pretty much true for every class, Awakening skills have higher damage multipliers. In the case of Sorc, the Scythe also adds more AoE so it's easier to kill more enemies together.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I really liked the sorceress's pre awakened attacks. It felt very aggressive and violent even though I was expecting to sit back and shoot fireballs

Oct 25, 2017
Lol there are moments in BDO that you really can't get in many other MMO's.
I was getting annoyed at having all of my stuff in calpheon because it was becoming ridiculously inconvenient since I'm mostly in the mediah region like everyone else now.

So I decided to pack up and leave, I got a wagon together, tied my two best horses to it, turned all my money into gold bars for ease of transport, stuffed all my valuables and stuff into my wagon, reclaimed all my contribution points in calpheon and departed to my new home of altinova. Once there I went to the warehouse where I set up my stuff, bought more storage space, and set up the houses i needed and then dropped the horses off at the stables, maybe I'll even decorate a new residence.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I was getting annoyed at having all of my stuff in calpheon because it was becoming ridiculously inconvenient since I'm mostly in the mediah region like everyone else now.

So I decided to pack up and leave, I got a wagon together, tied my two best horses to it, turned all my money into gold bars for ease of transport, stuffed all my valuables and stuff into my wagon, reclaimed all my contribution points in calpheon and departed to my new home of altinova. Once there I went to the warehouse where I set up my stuff, bought more storage space, and set up the houses i needed and then dropped the horses off at the stables, maybe I'll even decorate a new residence.

pjYuma0.gif

You can probably set up smaller bases at each major city. You can transport items for a small price from storage to storage. I had a small base in Altinova and just transferred items through to my other cities.

Just so you are aware.
Calpheon/Serendia(Heidel)/Velia(Balenos) regions are the first areas of the game.
Pretty central location wise. Lots of resources, lots of world bosses (Karanda, Tree, Kzarka, Bheg being the big ones).

Mediah is the first expansion.
Has sausages, great but contested grind spot. Has some better farming areas than vanilla areas. Pretty much required to go there even if you don't set up base.

Valencia expansion is further East from Mediah, contains the annoying Black Desert for which the game is named. Has two world bosses (Kutum & Nouver) and a lot of pretty good but out of the way grind spots. Desert debuffs can be annoying and Camels.

Magoria expansion is the water and ship content. You can go across to the other continent but so far isn't much there other than a few quests and a bunch of knowledge.

Kamasylvia expansion is the most recent. It is south of Calpheon.

Still, I enjoyed moving. It felt adventurous. I still kept a lot of the resources in Velia and Heiden because they were more centralised and a lot of my resources flow through to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow the game has had a lot more expansions than I thought, I thought Valencia was it lol.
I think what I'm gonna do is keep Heidel as jumping off point where if I need to I can quickly get stuff from there and move it to where I need to be since it's so central, but packing up and moving around in this game really does feel awesome.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Oh wow the game has had a lot more expansions than I thought, I thought Valencia was it lol.
I think what I'm gonna do is keep Heidel as jumping off point where if I need to I can quickly get stuff from there and move it to where I need to be since it's so central, but packing up and moving around in this game really does feel awesome.

Yup a lot of people do this because Heidel's location is really convenient. Calpeon isn't bad either. It also depends on where you want to be and what you are currently prioritized in doing.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I dunno if it was just your intention or you forgot about the transport but I understand. Sometimes its nice to do it the old/real fashioned way lol

I honestly like seeing people right and left with their wagon trading stuff. It's a nice change of pace from the perpetual angry dudes at grind camps.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty pissed that I spent about 15 million gold on my +13 scythe and not only did I not get to +14, but I lost 20 net durability. Makes me want to set the game down for a bit.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Green Awakening weapons can be bought for 200k the pop from the blacksmith in Altinova. That's why repairing them is dirt cheap. But you PvP-obsessed man went for blue, and now I've got nothing.
But it's not a big deal. In fact, we've all been there.
Hmm, should I use my other Ultimate Reform Stone on a Greek weapon and get it to a high value?

I'm not into PvP right now...honestly I'm prejudiced against green gear as a WoW player. It just feels bad to see that color. :-P

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just buy a TRI green from the marketplace. For PvE the difference between green and blue is not worth the hassle.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I know the Dandelion is a little better than the blue PvP weapon, but how much better is it than the green one? I hate investing into something that will one day be a waste.

No investment like that is ever wasted. If you find yourself in possession of a blue or Dandelion weapon eventually, you can just sell off the TRI Green for almost full price. Until then, it will greatly help you grind, and thus make money.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No investment like that is ever wasted. If you find yourself in possession of a blue or Dandelion weapon eventually, you can just sell off the TRI Green for almost full price. Until then, it will greatly help you grind, and thus make money.
Okie, I will do that.
Just buy a TRI green from the marketplace. For PvE the difference between green and blue is not worth the hassle.
Too expensive right now!

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
For what its worth, a 15 green is about 18m. It is pretty easy to PRI yourself and then DUO.
Blue becomes a bit more comparable to Green after TRI I think. It has a 5AP lead ignoring their perk bonus.
CjbRAGS.png

Ultimately it depends on how much you want to spend because getting Blue to TRI is far more expensive than the Green. Again, Dandelion is far more difficult than the Blue.

Hilariously trying to get my heve gloves to +15 from +14, I went from 0 to 21 by just dumping black stones into them trying to get them to 15. I think it's more dumb luck than anything.
14>15 is a bitch. A base of 2.5% and a max of 15% according to the failstack chart. This is why we use +14s to build early FSs.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About to quit this game before I even start it thanks to the ridiculous character naming situation.

First names have to be unique... even when we already have unique last names. Gotta be one of the more absolutely braindead design decisions I've ever encountered. And there's no name generator to help you out either. Fucking what?

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
About to quit this game before I even start it thanks to the ridiculous character naming situation.

First names have to be unique... even when we already have unique last names. Gotta be one of the more absolutely braindead design decisions I've ever encountered. And there's no name generator to help you out either. Fucking what?

Yeah, it's rough. But you shall prevail! May I introduce you to my good friend the capital i. It poses and performs just as well as a small-case L.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol bigwitch is my only character who has the name i wanted them to have, and i made her literally within the first few weeks of the NA server's opening.
The rest of my characters are all some variation of my usual online name butchered or bungled till the game accepts it.

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How every company on the planet hasn't adopted the Blizzard naming system is beyond me.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Free weekend and I'm downloading this to try it out, anything I should know?

I'm looking at the store page and I can't fund much information on the different packages on offer, if I decide to buy which would you recommend?

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Free weekend and I'm downloading this to try it out, anything I should know?

Hmm, don't expect traditional MMO type hooks. This game has a few similarities but its strong points are in my opinion its unique areas such as the worker/node system and most things to do with contribution points. Combat is fun too.
The combat is quite fun though once it gets going a bit. Game is really, really easy until about level 50, even then some classes that are stronger in PvE will be having a pretty easy time and the real challenge doesn't come in until you start going to tougher areas. Questing isn't particularly fun and sometimes won't feel rewarding. I would say approach the game in a way you feel is fun, if you enjoy the casual questing, go for it, if you want to just smash some mobs and level up do that! If you want to train your gathering skills or start life skills work on that!

The UI is horrible. After progressing the tutorial a bit you can go into the menu and change some stuff such as turning off all the popup notifications.

Hmm, maybe join the guild discord. While we're not particularly active here we do talk in there daily. The game's learning curve is pretty steep, it can be overwhelming. Try to focus on smaller things that interest you and ask questions as you need.

I'm looking at the store page and I can't fund much information on the different packages on offer, if I decide to buy which would you recommend?

So, looking at the editions here is my opinion.
$4.99 - just the game. Its quite cheap and pretty fail proof for light enjoyment.
$14.99
  • Value Pack (30 Days)
    Value Pack is an item that gives a variety of buffs that is equivalent to a subscription.
    It is quite valuable and trying to snipe one of the in game market place is real rough. Its value is about $10.
  • 5 Elion's Blessing
    This lets you revive on the spot without fear of losing exp. It isn't great, you won't even start to lose exp on death until level 50+
  • Character Slot Expansion Coupon
    This is actually quite nice if you actually sink deep into the game because alts are useful the the free method of getting character slots is time consuming. Since most characters play a little differently it can be fun to try a few of them out, some are easy while others are more technical.
  • Inventory Slot +8 Expansion Coupon
    This is pretty nice, keep in mind it is for 1 character so if you make an alt later and decide to make him your main instead this will not transfer if you have used it already.
  • Tier 3 Horse
    Worthless. These are really cheap and not actually a good horse. The game will give you free horses later
  • Horse Flute (7 Days)
    You can whistle to summon your horse (within 100 meters or so). This isn't very far but useful for crossing rivers or other obstacles sometimes. The horse flute increases the distance but it still won't be far enough to say, go from one side of the town to the other.
  • Silver Embroidered Life Clothes Exchange Coupon
    Useless. There are cheap ones that can be upgraded and are abundant on the in game market.
  • 3 Housing Coupon
    Most items are cosmetic house decorations. They usually cost money to buy, I think the value is around $9-15.
  • Pet of choice
    The singularly most important cash shop item in my opinion. Pets will pick up loot for you. You can have a total of 5 pets follow you at once. For optimal grinding you want wants. Grinding and looting enemies is the best way to actively make money in the game.
    Pick what you want for sure but I think Cat types is the most useful to have at least 1 of because they will point you to gathering points. Not all rocks can be mined, not all trees can be chopped etc. The cat's skill is to point out which ones can be gathered from near you. You can also turn the skill off when not needing it.
    Pets are $6-12.
$24 package
You get the previous tier as well as
  • An extra Value Pack (30 days)
  • 5 extra Elion's Blessings
  • 1 Extra Character Slot
  • 8 more inventory slots
  • Permanent Horse Flute
  • Tier 5 Horse
  • 2 more housing coupons.
Of this, I think the only items of interest are the value pack and inventory slots.

Tier 5 horse is actually fine for beginners but this is still not a good horse and there are merits for running around on foot. You can likely easily buy such a horse later easily.

Having 2 extra character slots maaaaay be a bit of an over kill for now. I say this as a player who is currently waiting for daily loyalty points to buy a new one and have over 10 characters.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
It seems it's possible to buy houses and set up some sort of industry and trade? I bought a bunch of houses in Olvia, can I set up a weapon & armor factory there? What would I need for that?

There are a variety of housing options.
Residence - Allows you to go into it, decorate it and place kitchens or alchemy labs here for these two life skills.
Lodgings - Allows you to hire more workers in this city. These workers will go out to connected nodes to gather items for you.
Factories - Can craft items for you. You need to have the ingredients in your storage and a free worker (in the same town). Then, from the map click on the town and select your factory. Select the item you want to craft and your worker will get to it.

It is simple though sourcing ingredients supplies can be trickier.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Happy 2nd anniversary BDO! To celebrate, everyone gets a boss item box with surprisingly good rates! Not just that, our mainhand weapons get a new tier level that brings them up to par with their Awakening counterparts, and our UI gets a partial makeover. If you have been waiting for an opportunity to jump back in, now is better than ever!

If you want some company, ResetEra NA is always happy to see new faces. Quote to reveal a link to our Discord!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I love this game. I played a lot at launch (EU) and have recently come back and gotten in deep. I've got a Tamer, Witch, Mystic and Ranger at 56 and 260 contribution points. Tonight I'm going to link up the nodes to Valencia. I'm also nearly finished my sailboat. Just need another 246 timber squares to complete.

Character wise I love the visuals on my Tamer but didn't really get into the awakened weapon (Despite it being a sweet staff). I may have to revisit her and try again. Witch makes for easy grinding but I found it a little dull. Mystic is grinding easy mode :) My Ranger was the biggest surprise. The slog from 50-56 was very, very bad but the awakened weapon is just delicious. Super powerful and fun to use.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely didn't give my awakened tamer enough of a chance if I'm honest. I should really go back to her and see. Pre-awakening grinding with her was no issues.

MbC88fZ.png

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The game is now available in my region and on sale too. Gonna grab the limited edition for USD 6 soon.
Dunno which class to take TBH, but are any bonuses I get from my purchase active from when I start playing or from when I make my purchase?

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The game is now available in my region and on sale too. Gonna grab the limited edition for USD 6 soon.
Dunno which class to take TBH, but are any bonuses I get from my purchase active from when I start playing or from when I make my purchase?

There is currently a pre-creation even for the new class Lahn. She will be released next week after maintenance I think and if it follows other class releases then there will be tiered rewards for leveling up as her during this time. That said, it is best to pick a class you like. This game actually somewhat encourages multiple characters as well.

I think some of the items need to be sent to your character via logging into the website. This is also where you pick which item if there is a choice. Some of the items might be "character bound" meaning the character who uses it will be stuck with it but other items like pets are account bound and will show up on all characters you create.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Create a Wizard if you want to be a VIP class and be left alone while Pearl Abyss nerf the rest of classes to make sure they're never win you :/