• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
7Y0mfVQ.png

7JQ4KBf.png

• Developer – Pearl Abyss
  • US/EU Publisher – Pearl Abyss
  • Genre - MMORPG
  • Director – Kim Daeil
  • Release Date – KR: July 14, 2015 | RU/JP: 2015 | NA/EU: March 3, 2016 | TW: January 2017 | WW (Xbox One): Q1: 2018
  • Platform - PC, Xbox One, Playstation 4
  • Rating - CERO: N/A | ESRB: N/A | PEGI: 16

Looking for a guild? Join ResetEra (NA)
Visit my Profile -> Information for the Discord link.

Umlpllk.png

Black Desert Online is an MMO in the vein of older sandbox titles. Explore a vast, ever-expanding world that really knows no limits. No instances, no loading times – everything is one and connected.

You can live your life as you choose: be it the grind you are after, the life of a fisher, farmer, gatherer, horse trainer, alchemist... you follow your own call.

YUNJoGi.png

dUr95OG.png

4hP7B01.png

CvMTIvF.jpg

tZEouZX.jpg

vlbbxSP.jpg

9wG2Vbw.jpg

UQ0CXfh.jpg

JOr4uDP.png

Biestmann
Pearl Abyss

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I bought the game but haven't started playing yet!

Any tips are appreciated.

I'll probably heal.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

I'll probably heal.

The greatest tip I can give you is to not get discouraged at the beginning of the game. Since it does a poor job explaining its various mechanics, it will seem overly complex and complicated to you. From my own experience, that was very frustrating, and nearly drove my girlfriend and I to quit very early on. But we endured, and soon realized there is no need to understand everything right away, and that you can experience and discover things at your own pace. Since the game is rather complex though, you will have questions, no doubt, and we'll be here to help you then. You say you'd like to be a healer, meaning Valkyrie, Wizard and Witch would be the ideal picks for you. All three classes only have a small selection of healing skills, however, since none of them are dedicated healer classes, and the game has none. They all are fun, though, so you really can't go wrong.

Laoth checking in! You forgot to mention training horses! We get to train horses!!!!

I did mention it in Features! You're right though, I might add a section for guides.

Last edited:

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought but am considering it as it's on sale right now. Are the extra perks from the Traveler's Package and Explorer's Package a big deal? Or am I going to be OK with just the starter edition.

Redmoon

Oct 26, 2017
You also get a horse, Teir 3 from the Travelers, and Tier 5 from the explorers. Certainly will help traveling around till you tame wild ones and make better horses. Higher Tier horse = better horse(they also have different skins that grant different stats), and they go up to Tier 8. The T8's that meet a certain requirement can also be awakened to become a (Tier 9) Pegasus, which is the only outcome right now, but that will change in due time.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

I'll probably heal.
Yeah, just FYI the game doesn't have a healer class, at least formally. There aren't really any traditional MMO roles in the game, as every class is meant to be some kind of DPS. Some are better at it than others, and if you want something that's less difficult I'd probably recommend Berserker/Wizard/Witch as a starting class (most difficulty in the game is presented via the combat in how often you switch in and out of a thing the game calls Awakening, which you get at level 56). Valkyries are by far the tankiest class in the game, and the closest to a real support class.

The game's fun, but beware that the end-game is pretty much just a grind, both AFK and regular grinding. Though if you like crafting, this game's got one of the most involved crafting systems I've ever seen. Even after playing the game for about a month I still didn't fully understand the node system, and needed a Youtube video to help fully take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I made my Tamer my cook but I'm feeling its time to air her out and maybe grind her to 57.
kWW4zKO.gif

I feel like I struggle with Maehwa but it is oddly satisfying... Maybe it is the flashiness.
wL8DdzU.gif

Turtle Tax
v9E5Z5V.gif

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I slightly updated the OT to link to character overview videos through class images. Might be easier for some to make a pick that way.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, just saw they buffed Ranger's bow on KR, finally!

Yeah, most classes have been getting a great amount of buffs. While things aren't perfect just yet, they seem dedicated to bringing every class up to snuff. Then we have the absolute skills, which will make the mainhand weapons relevant again, so perhaps we'll be able to go back to being an actual Ranger very soon.

you get a lot more exp now from life skills, or at least a lot more compared to what it used to be

I went chopping the other day and was blown away by the exp I received. Korea just made levelling from 56-60 easier by about 50% this week too, so once that patch hits our servers, we'll likely be seeing a lot more high level players running around. I assume all of this is preparation to raising the level cap sometime soon, perhaps with the release of the upcoming region.

Last edited:

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I went chopping the other day and was blown away by the exp I received. Korea just made levelling from 56-60 easier by about 50% this week too, so once that patch hits our servers, we'll likely be seeing a lot more high level players running around. I assume all of this is preparation to raising the level cap sometime soon, perhaps with the release of the upcoming region.
Sounds good here, maybe I'll actually get some alts higher up now

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I might jump back in once getting to 60 becomes a bit more reasonable. Still, I genuinely hope they make it so that the Striker's awakening plays a bit more like the pre-Awakened version (was very frustrating - Striker was my favorite class until I got Awakening).

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Oh. Good to see some familiar names.

Striker was my favorite class until I got Awakening).
From my very limited experience Striker is actually very strong after awakening. I think he only gets better at 57 and 58 as he gets access to more skills - which I guess is technically also true for all classes. Even so, now that I have about 10 classes awakened I can say that Striker still felt great leaping into battle with fists of mayhem. I don't really like his Avatar thing but at least it doesn't stick around and sometimes block paths like Witch Golem for instance.

I think I'll dive back in a bit more when Mystic drops. Looks like my Ranger is forever unleveled lol.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting Kami Part Two in November and Mystic in December.

That's hope my too, although I wouldn't expect them any sooner than the end of the month respectively. I was originally planning on playing Mystic, but I've been focusing on my DK so much I am not sure I have it in me to raise another character, investments and all. As for Kama Part 2, I am greaty looking forward to that, and can't wait to decorate my mansion. Very hyped.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Oh. Good to see some familiar names.

From my very limited experience Striker is actually very strong after awakening. I think he only gets better at 57 and 58 as he gets access to more skills - which I guess is technically also true for all classes. Even so, now that I have about 10 classes awakened I can say that Striker still felt great leaping into battle with fists of mayhem. I don't really like his Avatar thing but at least it doesn't stick around and sometimes block paths like Witch Golem for instance.

I think I'll dive back in a bit more when Mystic drops. Looks like my Ranger is forever unleveled lol.
Ah - it's not about damage or power, it's about playstyle. Pre-awakened and post-awakened Striker play extremely differently. Every class I got to Awakening changed of course, but for Striker it was like playing an entirely different class, and not one I was a huge fan of. If I come back I'll probably play Valkyrie, since it was the class I enjoyed the most, and I like the Awakened version too. It matters a lot to me how the character feels when playing, and Striker loses what I can only really describe as the flow of its combat (it changes from this very freeform, creative fighting style to a very rigid series of combos).

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Ah - it's not about damage or power, it's about playstyle. Pre-awakened and post-awakened Striker play extremely differently. Every class I got to Awakening changed of course, but for Striker it was like playing an entirely different class, and not one I was a huge fan of. If I come back I'll probably play Valkyrie, since it was the class I enjoyed the most, and I like the Awakened version too. It matters a lot to me how the character feels when playing, and Striker loses what I can only really describe as the flow of its combat (it changes from this very freeform, creative fighting style to a very rigid series of combos).

I mentioned this in a previous post, but they are currently releasing Absolute Skills (unofficial translation) for the classes in KR. Those skills are the regular mainhand weapon's turned up to 11, on par with those of awakening weapons. They stated that their goal is to make both mainhand and awakening weapons as viable, and leave the choice of weapon to the player's preference. The release of these skills will be staggered, but is already in progress, so we'll see how that pans out fairly soon.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
^ One day my Maehwa will be able to wield a spear in her right hand and her sword on the left like Hilde from Soul Calibur... This will also be the same day my Sorceress will also bring claws back into her attacks as she swings her scythe around all spinny like.

Striker loses what I can only really describe as the flow of its combat (it changes from this very freeform, creative fighting style to a very rigid series of combos)

I felt a bit like that too. I actually didn't like it at all when I got it at first but it grew on me. Stylistically I think pre-awaken is much better, you also had a lot more attacks that felt viable while your other ones were on cool down. Awakening is almost always a step back at first. You lack skills, you lack a decent weapon and you need to play a bit differently so it takes some adjustments. Its like going from the highs of pre-awakened state to a newbie awakened state. I went through this process on most of my awakened classes where the only exception was Warrior who was simply 100x time out the gate with a +0 Greatsword. My biggest gripe with striker awakening is that I dislike the avatar thing he summons on attacks but on the other hand... that attack where he leaps across the field like wolverine from x-men is amazing.

In terms of free form combos into more rigid ones, thats pretty much how I feel about Maehwa as well. Add in some odd hitboxes.

Also. I can buy another character expansion slot with loyalties now... Musa or Ninja?

Last edited:

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Recently got into Black Desert Online.

I've been enjoying it a lot, although the Halloween update seemed a bit disappointing. Figured there would be more, rather than just paid-for content.

Oct 26, 2017
I finally managed to get Witch to 56.

I just have to say that the Aad Sphera is amazing. So much damage and chaos. Right now my Awakening weapon AP is 98. I noticed that there aren't any base weapons to buy off the marketplace to repair durability so where should I look towards to acquire them?

Also if anyone has any general tips for increasing AP. Right now my DP is 174 so I think I'm ok in that department right now. I'm just really hurting for more AP.

Also is it bad that I don't pickup items from mobs I kill? I have a decent amount of money from the free stuff they give you so I'm wondering if it's really necessary as it clogs up my inventory space fast if I pick things up as well as being a bit tedious.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Recently got into Black Desert Online.

I've been enjoying it a lot, although the Halloween update seemed a bit disappointing. Figured there would be more, rather than just paid-for content.
I think there is also the freebies for staying logged in for 2 hours per day or something. You get candies and a basket to make a loot chest out of. I've been neglecting it but it should be there?

I finally managed to get Witch to 56.

I just have to say that the Aad Sphera is amazing. So much damage and chaos. Right now my Awakening weapon AP is 98. I noticed that there aren't any base weapons to buy off the marketplace to repair durability so where should I look towards to acquire them?

Also if anyone has any general tips for increasing AP. Right now my DP is 174 so I think I'm ok in that department right now. I'm just really hurting for more AP.

Also is it bad that I don't pickup items from mobs I kill? I have a decent amount of money from the free stuff they give you so I'm wondering if it's really necessary as it clogs up my inventory space fast if I pick things up as well as being a bit tedious.

If you mean the blue awakening weapon that is given to you at base level enhancement and has bonus to pvp damage then you get them regularly from world bosses.
Green grade awakening weapon that is given to you at +10 can be purchased at the blacksmith in Altinova and possibly a few other towns such as Valencia.

AP is tricky to answer. Depends on your budget and what you currently have. Aim to boost your awakening weapon to TRI or simply buy one off the market. It is a pretty dramatic difference. DUO is acceptable too.
TRI your main hand as well then offhand when you can.
Accessories may be a cheap way to get some AP depending on what you are wearing. A few updates back they released the Asula item set which can be obtained form mobs in the mediah region. This is pretty damn good until you begin replacing them with better stuff. The Asula set cannot be upgraded but are powerful, think of it as a suped up Jarette's accessories set.

bdo-aug16-patch-notes-3_thumb.jpg

I believe this also answers your question on whether or not you should be picking up loot. The answer is technically no. You should have pets to do it for you! Failing that, yes you should. It is an incredible source of income, many events have drops from killing mobs that you will not get if you do not loot. Black Stones for crafting and just selling junk items monsters drop is actually an incredible source of income, arguably the best once you find a good spot and can clear waves of enemies quickly (and loot just as quick).

If you are enjoying the game, I highly recommend spending a few dollars for pets. You could possibly get some off the mp but everyone is bidding for them so the RNG is not going to be favourable. There is currently a halloween pet pack which will give you more pets than you can actually use at once, which is fine since these halloween pets can be mashed to level up each other. A bit pricey though. They really should have allowed you to do a quest for 1 pet or something at least.

Lastly. Whatever you think a "decent amount of money" is, it is never enough in an MMO! A baby elephant needs 35 million and is mostly useless cosmetic slow mount. I need 11 of them.

Post a pic of your witch!

Last edited:

Namiks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there is also the freebies for staying logged in for 2 hours per day or something. You get candies and a basket to make a loot chest out of. I've been neglecting it but it should be there?

You get the basket when you hit two hours, and the cookie when you hit three hours.

I was kinda hoping the spawn rate of the witch in the event would decrease, as well. After discovering that she spawns once every nine hours on a random server, I haven't once contemplated waiting.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
You get the basket when you hit two hours, and the cookie when you hit three hours.

I was kinda hoping the spawn rate of the witch in the event would decrease, as well. After discovering that she spawns once every nine hours on a random server, I haven't once contemplated waiting.
I almost never wait for bosses. I try to catch them if the window happens to align with my playing hours but to wait and chase them? Nah. I did a bit for fun but it... wasn't fun... I just park an alt or five near some of the bosses.

I think there is a specific shoutout for Witch in the boss discord. It yells out at me from my phone and I keep forgetting to turn this notification off.

Does she drop anything good? I haven't even fought it once yet.

Namiks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I almost never wait for bosses. I try to catch them if the window happens to align with my playing hours but to wait and chase them? Nah. I did a bit for fun but it... wasn't fun... I just park an alt or five near some of the bosses.

I think there is a specific shoutout for Witch in the boss discord. It yells out at me from my phone and I keep forgetting to turn this notification off.

Does she drop anything good? I haven't even fought it once yet.

I honestly don't even remember what she drops.

I remember getting the quest, going to the location, waiting a little, then looking it up online to get more information. That's when I noticed it was quite literally every real 9 hours and not in-game hours.

I did every other event quest, which dropped neat little cosmetics. The best is by far the Jack O'Lantern mask.

Namiks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I suddenly find myself in dire need of doing event quests. Are they hard quests?

They're all easy. Most are one-time quests, whereas the one for the Jack O'Lantern requires five real days to obtain 5 undamaged pumpkins (one per day).

You can find that quest at Alejandro Farm not far from Heidel. Although, depending on when the event ends, it might be too late to complete it.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

From last week's patch notes:
  • As Halloween approaches, the Red Moon gains more power, making Isabella the Black Witch even stronger.

• Isabella will appear every 4-5 hours.

• HP of Isabella and Wraith of Death has been increased.

• More Adventurers will be able to loot from Isabella.

• Chance of getting [Event] Halloween Gift Box from Isabella has been increased.

Oct 26, 2017

If you mean the blue awakening weapon that is given to you at base level enhancement and has bonus to pvp damage then you get them regularly from world bosses.
Green grade awakening weapon that is given to you at +10 can be purchased at the blacksmith in Altinova and possibly a few other towns such as Valencia.

AP is tricky to answer. Depends on your budget and what you currently have. Aim to boost your awakening weapon to TRI or simply buy one off the market. It is a pretty dramatic difference. DUO is acceptable too.
TRI your main hand as well then offhand when you can.
Accessories may be a cheap way to get some AP depending on what you are wearing. A few updates back they released the Asula item set which can be obtained form mobs in the mediah region. This is pretty damn good until you begin replacing them with better stuff. The Asula set cannot be upgraded but are powerful, think of it as a suped up Jarette's accessories set.

bdo-aug16-patch-notes-3_thumb.jpg

I believe this also answers your question on whether or not you should be picking up loot. The answer is technically no. You should have pets to do it for you! Failing that, yes you should. It is an incredible source of income, many events have drops from killing mobs that you will not get if you do not loot. Black Stones for crafting and just selling junk items monsters drop is actually an incredible source of income, arguably the best once you find a good spot and can clear waves of enemies quickly (and loot just as quick).

If you are enjoying the game, I highly recommend spending a few dollars for pets. You could possibly get some off the mp but everyone is bidding for them so the RNG is not going to be favourable. There is currently a halloween pet pack which will give you more pets than you can actually use at once, which is fine since these halloween pets can be mashed to level up each other. A bit pricey though. They really should have allowed you to do a quest for 1 pet or something at least.

Lastly. Whatever you think a "decent amount of money" is, it is never enough in an MMO! A baby elephant needs 35 million and is mostly useless cosmetic slow mount. I need 11 of them.

Post a pic of your witch!

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into getting a Tri Awakening weapon and maybe a pet so I can loot those accessories if they're better than the Jarette box stuff.

And here's my Witch.

Namiks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From last week's patch notes:
  • As Halloween approaches, the Red Moon gains more power, making Isabella the Black Witch even stronger.
    • Isabella will appear every 4-5 hours.

• HP of Isabella and Wraith of Death has been increased.

• More Adventurers will be able to loot from Isabella.

• Chance of getting [Event] Halloween Gift Box from Isabella has been increased.

That's cool, although 4-5 hours is still a bit much for me. Is that still on a random server, or on all?

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool, although 4-5 hours is still a bit much for me. Is that still on a random server, or on all?

Right, I forgot to mention that part. She shows up on every server now. Personally, I still don't think she is worth doing since the Halloween box she drops does not offer anything of value. If you have not done so yet, I absolutely do recommend doing the event quest you get from the white witch at Alejandro Farm however. Killing the witch once will net you Sharp and Hard Shards, as well as a Forest Fury (item needed to craft the new best crystals, or a free 4M).

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I mentioned this in a previous post, but they are currently releasing Absolute Skills (unofficial translation) for the classes in KR. Those skills are the regular mainhand weapon's turned up to 11, on par with those of awakening weapons. They stated that their goal is to make both mainhand and awakening weapons as viable, and leave the choice of weapon to the player's preference. The release of these skills will be staggered, but is already in progress, so we'll see how that pans out fairly soon.
Hm. Will definitely hop back in once that's a thing. Need to see what exactly that balance looks like, particularly since some classes already play best by switching back and forth between awaken and pre-awaken. Very curious to see what these abilities look like.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing all these Steam players with their TET boss gear being all "Finally all TET boss gear after three months!" coupled with being level 61s, and I just don't understand what I have been doing with my playtime anymore.

OP
OP
Biestmann

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Great news, everyone! Remember the exp buff for levels 56-60 I mentioned the other day? Well, we got thattoday! This is not some small buff; Korean players are reporting 1.5x amounts of exp. If you ever planned on levelling... there has never been a better time.

You hear that, Mephala?

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017
No love for those of us who are already at lvl 60. This is discrimination! I'm suing kakaheet/pa

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think it does work for those already level 60 doesnt it? I'll grind in a bit and see what kind of exp I get