• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
1361913601-black_history_month_2011_.jpg

What is Black History month?

Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in the U.S., is an annual observance in Canada, Ireland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States. It began as a way for remembering important people and events in the history of the African diaspora.

Why is it important?

When the world pushes the notion that you are less than human it is important to see all the great things the black community has accomplished and have pride in our skin.

When is it?
All of February.

How do I celebrate?
Look for local events. If you're in a big enough city, chances are there will festivals and art galleries of black talent. Support community events and donate to charities that go towards combating racial injustices. Watch black created and led television and film.

How comes there's not a white history month?
Shut up.

28118396279_dc1e3a9cdb_b.jpg

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
As a white dude, I always use this month to reflect on the black heroes that sacrificed so much and stood up against such terror. I find it an important reflection to make because without their efforts, I likely never would have been graced by the amazing people of color that have given me the best friendships/neighbors/coworkers, the poc that honestly saved my life and treated me like family, the experiences that really proved to me (a boy raised in the south) that skin color ain't no thang but a lovely hue on everyone.

Favorite black historical figure? I know it sounds cliche but I love Martin Luther King Jr. He was brave. And he his technique of oration was important. He was approachable but strong. And that really helped us all. The part of his speech about all kids playing on the playground gives me this glow. I love that dream. And I can say, despite today's terrors, we are at least living that much of the dream.

Be reflective today. This month is important for everyone to think about.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I love this thread every year. I usually post Black History Facts on my facebook throughout Feb and annoy my friends so this thread is right up my alley.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Looking forward to reading more into what gets posted here. I'm gonna do my best to go to some events in Boston based on what I can find out is going on.

Jan 18, 2018
I love this, thank you. Just had a baby girl a few months ago and I can't wait to see her grow and see how she reflects the culture. When I was growing up my parents didn't really reinforce that black identity or listen to my problems. I went from an all black school in memphis to an mostly white school in Mississippi, so you can imagine.
I really want her to know the history, especially the parts that I missed out on after I moved to mississippi and my white teachers glossed over slavery and segregation.
I recently learned about Sarah Baartman from my fiance, there's a lot of wild shit in African American history that my history teachers felt we didn't need to learn.
_87523034_376392001.jpg

OP
OP
TheGreatDirector
Oct 26, 2017
I love this thread every year. I usually post Black History Facts on my facebook throughout Feb and annoy my friends so this thread is right up my alley.
Looking forward to reading more into what gets posted here. I'm gonna do my best to go to some events in Boston based on what I can find out is going on.
Yeah, I encourage people to post whatever they can every day. Be it historical facts or black content that just interests you.

OP
OP
TheGreatDirector
Oct 26, 2017
Carter G. Woodson

carter-woodson-9536515-1-402.jpg

Who is he?

Carter Godwin Woodson was an American historian, author, journalist and the founder of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. He was one of the first scholars to study African-American history.

Why is he important?

Is widely considered the father of Black History Month through the creation of "Negro History Week" its precursor.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna leverage a bit of my time from working on the Black and British: A Forgotten History documentary (a recommended watch, though there sadly aren't really any legal options), as I'd like to tell the unfamiliar of a man by the name of Bill Richmond

220px-Bill_Richmond_1810.jpg

Who is he?
American born boxer - pugilist, strictly speaking - who made quite a stir in England, to which he moved after the American civil war, owing to his employer - Hugh Percy, who had also arranged for a young Bill's freedom - being on the losing side of the conflict. While there were quite a few black people in Britain at the time as veterans of the war - which would later play a factor in the creation of Sierra Leone - Bill had the rare opportunity of an education. None of this endeared him to the bigots of the time, so Bill resorted to a language they might understand: His fists.

Through a new employer in London that was an avid fan of the sport, this enabled him a chance to be formally introduced to the art of pugilism. Bill proved rather good at it, at one point challenging - though losing to - Tom Cribb, later the pugilist champion. Cribb also defeated Richmond's apprentice, Tom Molineaux - another black pugilist of some renown - in a controversial match, which soured the relationship of the latter two. Ironically, Cribb and Richmond went on to be strong friends, with the latter's dying day spent in the former's pub. Richmond's distinction as a pugilist lasted well into the 1820s, where he was an usher - as one of the top men representing the sport - at the coronation of George IV.

His record was 19 matches, 17 wins. My favourite is when he laid out fellow pugilist Jack Carter - who was being a bit of an ass, fancying himself the champion after Cribb had refused a fight - in three rounds. Richmond was 55 at the time, just for further context.

Why is he important?
Bill Richmond is regarded by many as one the first black athletes - if not the first - of renown in the English speaking world. At a time where slavery was still on the books, he carved out his place as one of the greats of his sport, setting the stage for so many more to follow.

OP
OP
TheGreatDirector
Oct 26, 2017
I've shared this video before, but figured I'd spread it again to get more people in on the topic.

And I guess I'll throw in a question along with it.

What is your favorite animated black character?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'm a white dude in Québec. Black History Month is important to me, because every year I get to read incredible threads here about historical figures and moments that weren't taught in school.

I just want to thank the community here for teaching me so much, and I am looking for to learning more this year!

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I've shared this video before, but figured I'd spread it again to get more people in on the topic.

And I guess I'll throw in a question along with it.

What is your favorite animated black character?

He admittedly falls on the 'ambiguous' side of things because anime, but if applicable, Loran Cehack:
23992.jpg

Part of it is because, yeah, he's that rare example of a visibly non-Japanese, PoC main character in an anime - a mecha series at that. Beyond that however, he's just a really well realised character, able to provide fun antics as much as dish out an awesome fight, and emotional drama. Fights for peace with double Gundam hammers. Dude's just awesome.

Meanwhile, in terms of real life figures:
John Blanke:
Black_Trumpeter_at_Henry_VIII%27s_Tournament_CROP.jpg

Who is he?
A trumpeter in the employ of Henry VIII, most likely having come across to England alongside the King's then wife, Catherine of Aragon. Now, Blanke's exact origins are unclear - Spanish nations such as Castile were already expanding into the Americas and had established contacts along North and West Africa. It's possible that Blanke might have been a darker skinned Berber, or he might from been from south of the Sahara outright - England certainly considered him 'black' in some fashion (though bear in mind, literal Indians were once classified as black) as we literally have his paycheck to verify this:
e36-214-109.jpg

Further, he is shown at the Westminster Tournament that celebrated the birth of Henry's heir:
blacktrumpeter.jpg

Why is he important?
Mostly as evidence of an important point: That black people (and otherwise, non-white, non-European folk) were in Britain - and indeed, wider European civilisation - before the modern day, and without being slaves. Improbable? Maybe. Impossible? No. So remember John Blanke if someone tries to tell you how it was 'literally impossible' for there to be non-white people in a (especially late) medieval setting, particularly a fantasy one.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about this woman who's been beasting it for over 3 decades:

Mae C. Jemison
87129_254x191.jpg

We'll start with the biggie: She became the first African American woman to travel in space when she went into orbit aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour on September 12, 1992. That alone puts her in a very exclusive club.

But man, she's just so... wow.

She has an MD from Cornell. She was a medical doctor in the Peace Corps. She went to Stanford when she was 16. She got a B.S in chemical engineering, and an B.A in African / Afro-American studies. She was a professor at Dartmouth and Cornell. She founded BioSentient Corp and has been working to develop a portable device that allows mobile monitoring of the involuntary nervous system. She was a dancer. She's written multiple books, including her memoir. She hold nine honorary doctorates, and speaks three languages. There are actual INSTITUTIONS named after her. Hell, she was on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

She's now a public speaker. I'm mad that I missed her when she was in Minnesota last month. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Jemison

OP
OP
TheGreatDirector
Oct 26, 2017
Let's talk about this woman who's been beasting it for over 3 decades:

Mae C. Jemison
87129_254x191.jpg

We'll start with the biggie: She became the first African American woman to travel in space when she went into orbit aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour on September 12, 1992. That alone puts her in a very exclusive club.

But man, she's just so... wow.

She has an MD from Cornell. She was a medical doctor in the Peace Corps. She went to Stanford when she was 16. She got a B.S in chemical engineering, and an B.A in African / Afro-American studies. She was a professor at Dartmouth and Cornell. She founded BioSentient Corp and has been working to develop a portable device that allows mobile monitoring of the involuntary nervous system. She was a dancer. She's written multiple books, including her memoir. She hold nine honorary doctorates, and speaks three languages. There are actual INSTITUTIONS named after her. Hell, she was on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

She's now a public speaker. I'm mad that I missed her when she was in Minnesota last month. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mae_Jemison
Goddamn, I've sadly never heard of her before. She's done so much.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about justice that was over 30 years in the making.

p2k5rTl.png

Medgar Evers was a dude who was doing it back in the day. Grad from Alcorn State University. Fought in the battle of Normandy in 1944, and honorably discharged as an Army sergeant. A Mississippi civil rights activist. Field secretary for the NAACP. Worked to overturn segregation at the University of Mississippi, end the segregation of public facilities, and expand opportunities for black folk, which included the enforcement of voting rights.

This dude was challenging the system in profound ways. Some folks didn't take kindly to that.

ySOjRk2.png

Byron De La Beckwith was a white supremacist, and a member of the White Citizens' Council. This group was formed in 1954 in Mississippi to resist the integration of schools and civil rights activism. Byron decided that steps needed to be taken against Evers.

On June 12, 1963, Beckwith was positioned across the street with a Enfield .30-06 caliber rifle, and he shot Evers in the back. Evers died an hour later, aged 37 years. Myrlie Evers, his wife, and his three children, James, Reena, and Darrell Evers, were home at the time of the assassination.

After Evers' murder, an estimated 5,000 people marched from the Masonic Temple on Lynch Street to the Collins Funeral Home on North Farish Street in Jackson. Allen Johnson, Reverend Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders led the procession. This was big. REAL big.

Beckwith was tried twice in 1964. BOTH times, he was let go, because of a hung jury. Both times, the jury was all white. He would get into other trouble with the law, including an assassination attempt to kill A.I. Botnick, director of the New Orleans-based B'nai B'rith Anti-Defamation League, in retaliation for comments that Botnick had made about white Southerners and race relations. But it seemed Evers would never receive justice.

O7TfL1N.png

So you'd think.

Myrlie Evers, who would later become the third woman to chair the NAACP, refused to abandon her husband's case. When new documents showed that jurors in the previous case were illegally investigated and screened by a state agency, she pressed authorities to re-open the case.

They did.

De La Beckwith was convicted of murder on February 5, 1994, after having lived as a free man for much of the three decades following the killing of Medgar Evers. He was sentenced to life imprisonment for first-degree murder without the possibility of parole. Byron died in prison in 2001.

A5jkOoj.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada added Viola Desmond to the $10 bill last year.
=Viola Desmond was a successful black businesswoman who was jailed, convicted and fined for defiantly refusing to leave a whites-only area of a movie theatre in 1946. Her court case was an inspiration for the pursuit of racial equality across Canada. Viola's story is part of the permanent collection at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
200px-Canadian_%2410_note_2018_specimen_-_face.jpg

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story above, is seriously the super cliff notes version of a very long, fascinating tale. It's interesting to read up on everyone involved. Medgar really was making moves back in the day. He truly was a force for the NAACP, and there are rumbles that it wasn't just Byron who had planned his death. Then there's that Citizens' Council, which had well over 50,000 members in the late 1940s. They had their hands in a lot of things in Mississippi, and made things brutal for black folk. Firings from jobs, being denied for loans, lobbying for voter suppression, etc.

Byron had a son named Delay, who as far as I know is still a member of the KKK. There's a documentary out there about him that I'm looking to track down.

Hell, even the prosecutor Bobby DeLaughter, who got the guilty verdict, had drama later in life.

If you want some good reading about superstar Myrlie Evans, you can go here.

Oct 26, 2017

p2k5rTl.png

Medgar Evers was a dude who was doing it back in the day. Grad from Alcorn State University. Fought in the battle of Normandy in 1944, and honorably discharged as an Army sergeant. A Mississippi civil rights activist. Field secretary for the NAACP. Worked to overturn segregation at the University of Mississippi, end the segregation of public facilities, and expand opportunities for black folk, which included the enforcement of voting rights.

This dude was challenging the system in profound ways. Some folks didn't take kindly to that.

ySOjRk2.png

Byron De La Beckwith was a white supremacist, and a member of the White Citizens' Council. This group was formed in 1954 in Mississippi to resist the integration of schools and civil rights activism. Byron decided that steps needed to be taken against Evers.

On June 12, 1963, Beckwith was positioned across the street with a Enfield .30-06 caliber rifle, and he shot Evers in the back. Evers died an hour later, aged 37 years. Myrlie Evers, his wife, and his three children, James, Reena, and Darrell Evers, were home at the time of the assassination.

After Evers' murder, an estimated 5,000 people marched from the Masonic Temple on Lynch Street to the Collins Funeral Home on North Farish Street in Jackson. Allen Johnson, Reverend Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders led the procession. This was big. REAL big.

Beckwith was tried twice in 1964. BOTH times, he was let go, because of a hung jury. Both times, the jury was all white. He would get into other trouble with the law, including an assassination attempt to kill A.I. Botnick, director of the New Orleans-based B'nai B'rith Anti-Defamation League, in retaliation for comments that Botnick had made about white Southerners and race relations. But it seemed Evers would never receive justice.

O7TfL1N.png

So you'd think.

Myrlie Evers, who would later become the third woman to chair the NAACP, refused to abandon her husband's case. When new documents showed that jurors in the previous case were illegally investigated and screened by a state agency, she pressed authorities to re-open the case.

They did.

De La Beckwith was convicted of murder on February 5, 1994, after having lived as a free man for much of the three decades following the killing of Medgar Evers. He was sentenced to life imprisonment for first-degree murder without the possibility of parole. Byron died in prison in 2001.

A5jkOoj.png

This has me in tears. Thank you for educating me on this wonderful husband and wife.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017

p2k5rTl.png

ySOjRk2.png

O7TfL1N.png

So you'd think.

They did.

A5jkOoj.png

It's upsetting that it took so long for her to get justice for her husbands murder, but I'm glad that she did.

OP
OP
TheGreatDirector
Oct 26, 2017
Let me share with you all a very incredible person in the history of music.

gettyimages-74298156.jpg

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Who is she?

Sister Rosetta Tharpe was an 1915 Arkansas born singer, the daughter of cotton pickers. At the age of four, she picked up the guitar and began singing spirtual church. Seen as incredibly gifted, Tharpe was signed by Decca Records, and began recording the first gospel songs ever for the label.

From then on, her career took her all over, from playing with Cab Calloway to being one of the few musicians who record V-records for troops in WW2.

Why is she important?

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is the godmother of rock and roll. Her unique style of guitar playing which combined folk, blues, and swing techniques formed the basis for what many of the early rock artists of the 20th century played with. In a time where music was dominated by men, her mere presence as a black woman shook the industry, as her talent far exceeded the majority of guitarists and musicians around her.

Seriously, just watch her.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, to reinforce the theme with John Blanke earlier:

The Beachy Head Lady:
beachyheadwoman-215x300.jpg

(Note: A reconstruction)

Who is she?
The Beachy Head Lady was a woman of sub-saharan ancestral origin, seemingly first unearthed sometime in the 1950s but left in storage until the remains were re-examined as part of the Eastbourne Ancestors project. Osteoarchaeology quickly identified her likely racial features, while radiocarbon dating put her chronological origins sometime around 200-250 AD. Isotopic analysis - which has been used elsewhere to peg the Amesbury Archer as coming from the Alps - suggest that she either grew up southeast England from a very young age, or that she'd been outright born there.

Why is she important?
Once more, the actual person of the Beachy Head Lady is somewhat incidental - Blanke at least has the benefit of his paperwork to confirm who he was - but her existence in itself defies an oft assumed notion of the Roman Empire. While regional populations would still largely reflect their localities, along with literally Roman settlers, it was quite possible to have people from the complete opposite end of the empire - from outside it most likely even, as the Romans didn't much extend past the North African coast with exception to Egypt - be present there. This lady and/or her parents - were able to move all the way to freaking Britain, meaning anywhere else in the empire was pretty much fair game.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
A fantastic topic each and every year. Strange question but I was interested if there existed any black confederates who helped to undermine the confederacy under their noses during the Civil War? Black espionage such as what's featured in that recent series TURN is a subject I'm always interested in digging into.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
A fantastic topic each and every year. Strange question but I was interested if there existed any black confederates who helped to undermine the confederacy under their noses during the Civil War? Black espionage such as what's featured in that recent series TURN is a subject I'm always interested in digging into.

Looks like the chief one in that regard is one Mary Bowser, who was apparently right inside Jefferson Davis' household.