• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
IxXIpOJ.jpg

He7eSQj.png

First Look Trailer | Origins Trailer | Ressurection Trailer | Power Struggle Trailer | Family Fights Back Trailer

Main Cast
Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning
China Anne McClain as Jennifer Pierce
Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce
Christine Adams as Lynn Pierce
James Remar as Peter Gambi
Damon Gupton as Inspector Henderson
Marvin 'Krondon' Jones III as Tobias Whale

Recurring or Guest Stars
Kyanna Simone Simpson as Kiesha
Edwina Findley as Tori Whale
Chantal Thuy as Grace Choi
Jill Scott as Lady Eve

giphy.gif

Questions and Answers:
How many episodes will there be? At least thirteen, the CW has a habit of ordering more after the first few episodes have aired.
Who is running the show? Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil known for Being Mary Jane and that is about it.
Will Black Lightning be a part of the Arrowverse? No. At least not yet, Mark Pedowitz, president of The CW said in May 2017 that the series "at this time, is not part of the Arrowverse. It is a separate situation." However, the showrunners have not ruled out crossovers in the future. As well the cast wants to do a crossover in the future. Supergirl was not originally part of the Arrowverse either so anything can happen.
Will the show follow a villain of the week format? No, Salim Akil said the show would not follow a procedural format and instead wanted to "explore the characters, even the villains".
Who is the villain of season one? The 100 Gang led by Tobias Whale.
Are Thunder and Lightning going to be a part of the show? Yes. Both of Jefferson Pierce's daughters will appear. However, it does not appear as though they are active heroes yet only just discovering their powers.
Is Static going to show up? Salim Akil wants Virgil to show up but as of now, nothing official has been planned.
Are there any other DC characters the show will adapt? As with any show, there are interviews in which the showrunners display who they want to adapt, besides Static another that has been referenced is Metamorpho.
Is the show any good? It will likely be on par with other Berlanti Productions shows so when you tune in you know what you are getting. Early reviews have been good. If you like it great if not, hey why not give it a go and make up your own mind.
Is there a consistently updated Spotify playlist I can listen to? Yes, here you go.

K0PFowI.gif

Related OTs: SUPERGIRL S3 | LEGENDS S3 | FLASH S4 | ARROW S6
Spoiler tags should be used when discussing anything not seen in trailers or the show itself.
(a.k.a. leaks)

iMyDMEF.jpg

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this show well... but I have almost no interest in it, other than an obligation I feel to watch DC TV since I watch everything else.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
More episodes won't be ordered this season , no CW show that started mid season ever got more episodes. They will just consider giving next year more episodes.

OP
OP
tgrfawcett

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I thought so

it's why I'm excited him being a father to two daughters with super power add more dimensions and differentiate him from other heroes

Black-Lightning-CW-DC-TV-Thunder-ad.jpg
I am still 50/50 on the outfit but I am excited to see Thunder and Lightning as much as I am to see Black Lightning on screen. Some heroes don't get their due in other media so it nice to see it happening.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Some reviews are out there

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...lack-lightning-has-powerful-spark/1025240001/

Superhero shows are so plentiful now that they risk turning spectacular heroes into something much more common and ordinary. It's refreshing and gratifying to see that a new hero can, well, electrify us.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/...-a-purpose.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&smtyp=cur

https://nypost.com/2018/01/07/black-lightning-gives-the-cw-a-long-overdue-jolt-of-diversity/

The 2018 TV season is only a week old and we already have one new fun show, Fox's "9-1-1." With "Black Lightning," The CW has given us another entry — an entertaining, edgy piece of escapism that adds some much-needed diversity to the network's lineup of white-bread soap operas.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If its good then all they need to do is get rid of those awful costumes :D

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
really looking forward to the premiere tomorrow night. been getting more and more excited for the show the more I hear about it

some quotes from creator Salim Akil from an interview he did with THR

"Fans should understand that it is a journey. It's a marathon, not a sprint," Akil says of Black Lightning. "We're not going to have the villain of the week. We're going to explore our villains and our good guys and we're going to stew in that and really get to know them. I didn't want to do a show where the villains were twirling their mustaches. I wanted you to understand how and why they were the way they were. That will be a big difference from what you may be expecting."

"Right from the beginning you're immersed in a new world you probably have never been immersed in before," Akil says of the community. "I want you to dislike the things you should dislike. I want you to enjoy the things you should enjoy. You should never like to see someone get shot and I didn't want to do a show where violence was just a throwaway for a scene. I wanted to do a show [where] when violence happened, you felt it."

In addition to her growing abilities, Anissa's story will be emotionally powerful to many viewers because she's an out-and-proud lesbian. LGBTQ representation in superhero shows and movies is incredibly rare, so Akil is making sure to give her story its due for comic book fans who desperately need it.

"It's crazy, right?" Akil says of getting to show a lesbian superhero on primetime TV. "I didn't want it to be a 'very special episode.' We just open up on her in bed with her girlfriend and having a discussion not about her sexuality but about what are you going through? How are you feeling? I think it's one of the most sophisticated and loving scenes we've done in this show."

Akil is keeping her story revolutionary by not treating it like it's revolutionary. "I'll be honest with you, we rarely mention it," Akil says. "We just show it. It's not something I'm interested in mentioning, not because I don't want to mention it but because I'm able to show it."

And if he gets his way, Black Lightning will only run for three seasons. "They're going to hate me for saying that," he says with a laugh. "But three [seasons]. Realistically, for me, I could get out what's inside me in that time."

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
In addition to her growing abilities, Anissa's story will be emotionally powerful to many viewers because she's an out-and-proud lesbian. LGBTQ representation in superhero shows and movies is incredibly rare, so Akil is making sure to give her story its due for comic book fans who desperately need it.

"It's crazy, right?" Akil says of getting to show a lesbian superhero on primetime TV. "I didn't want it to be a 'very special episode.' We just open up on her in bed with her girlfriend and having a discussion not about her sexuality but about what are you going through? How are you feeling? I think it's one of the most sophisticated and loving scenes we've done in this show."

Akil is keeping her story revolutionary by not treating it like it's revolutionary. "I'll be honest with you, we rarely mention it," Akil says. "We just show it. It's not something I'm interested in mentioning, not because I don't want to mention it but because I'm able to show it."
Good stuff, love that approach.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
SEASON PREMIERE TONIGHT!

#1.01 "The Resurrection"

First Look Trailer
Resurrection Trailerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZpJeuXo2CY
Power Struggle Trailer
Family Fights Back Trailer
Preview Scene
Preview Scene #2
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% Fresh
SERIES PREMIERE — Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Ann McClain), and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe-haven for young people in a neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero in his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning, but he left the Superhero days behind. Almost a decade later, Pierce's crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. Christine Adams, James Remar, Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star. The episode was written and directed by Salim Akil (#101).
BLK101c_0055r.jpg

BLK101d_0100r.jpg

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
This will be on Netflix,one week behind...anyone know if it will be 4K HDR ?...might wait till next week to start watching...I mean my satellite TV shows at 720P,upscaled to 4K still look okay but it should look a lot better on Netflix.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this is good. Other than the costume, I like everything I've seen about the show. (Cast, direction, potential plotlines).

OP
OP
tgrfawcett

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Hope everyone enjoys the episode. I am on the road tonight and won't be able to watch till later. I have a good feeling about this one.