• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Teen Titans was really bad about that shit, Go City was a fucking ghosttown outside of two episodes.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Lala starring in another show, good to see for the actor. He immediately stood out in BL and it makes sense considering the creators of the OWN show.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this finally. Black Lightning is easily the best superhero show out of what I've seen, aside from IMO Daredevil. Even then BL has actual superpowers rather than just some dudes in costumes.

In any case, great finish. I'm not mad at them killing Proctor. Sometimes you write yourself into a corner and your characters are idiots for doing anything other than killing a villain. See: Flash S4, Ralph should've killed DeVoe.

Phyranion

May 1, 2018
This show really nailed its villains. Tobias Whale, Lady Eve, LaLa, that Syonide girl. Great presence, great acting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If he is, it's not gonna stick anyway. I think he's definitely coming back.

Dude exploded. I would love to see him come back, but I find it hard to believe they can bring him back from blowing the hell up unless we wind up in full-on supernatural territory.

Really, Lala and Tobias are both fantastic antagonists and I want them to both be part of the show for a long time. Marvin Krondon Jones III is just amazing at what he does, and it's unfathomable to me that this is basically his first real acting job.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
So i just finished D1 yesterday and im already itching for more.
Its kind of amazing how confident this show is in putting some very real topics right next to capital S superheros and it coming out perfectly natural.

Has there been any word of a season 2 being greenlit?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping the others would get knocked down, focus on telling a compelling story and leave the audience wanting more.
Im just like "well, its finally over" with these 23 episode shows

I pray LoT and BL's quality holds
Yeah they really don't have enough to do for 23 eps

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I think Black Lightning could benefit from 4 extra episodes if it gives Anissa and Jennifer more to do on their own.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I still haven't watched this last season of Jane the Virgin... So many distractions.

Oh and I'm glad they're sticking with not giving BL 23 episodes, also wish the same would be done with Arrow, Flash and Supergirl.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't watched this last season of Jane the Virgin... So many distractions.

Oh and I'm glad they're sticking with not giving BL 23 episodes, also wish the same would be done with Arrow, Flash and Supergirl.
Seriously. All three have proven this year they don't need a full 23 episodes. Arrow proved it a few seasons ago. They can't handle it story wise at this point. To much gets dragged out and stretched to fill time

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the episodes, it's that they to try do one big bad for the entire season. They just need better writers tbh

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the episodes, it's that they to try do one big bad for the entire season. They just need better writers tbh
Yeah the lenght isn't the cause of the problem. It's the writer inability to give the characters shit to do.. No reason Flash's and Supergirl's season arcs couldn't have been 6 ep mini arcs

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Arrow season 2 and 5 had midbosses and half season 2 of was brother blood plus 5 had a lot of focus on training the team

They just find good ways to fill time which Flash in season 3 and 4 haven't been able to

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the lenght isn't the cause of the problem. It's the writer inability to give the characters shit to do.. No reason Flash's and Supergirl's season arcs couldn't have been 6 ep mini arcs
Remember how season 3 in flash the second half is just them basically wasting time because you know the kill iris thing won't matter until the finale

Plus it means Savitar doesn't do crap until the finale

It's like they intentionally sabotage themselves

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The thing about Black Lightning is it was like half a season. Tobias disappeared out of the spotlight for a good chunk of it and wasn't the big bad. This is like episodes 1 to 9 of other DC shows.

Arrow has already set up mini arcs for S7 thankfully, they've got a lot of storylines ready to go so it hopefully won't drag too much.

Flash and Supergirl I don't even know. Actually I do know Supergirl will give Kara and Brainiac an awkward romance where she still has more chemistry with Lena than anyone else.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Of course length isn't the main problem, the Netflix Marvel shows prove that seeing how they struggle to do 13 episodes or in Defenders case, 8.

Mini-arcs wouldn't hurt but still, the writing would probably get in the way.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course length isn't the main problem, the Netflix Marvel shows prove that seeing how they struggle to do 13 episodes or in Defenders case, 8.

Mini-arcs wouldn't hurt but still, the writing would probably get in the way.

Legion had 11 episodes this season, and also suffered greatly from pacing issues

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Netflix Marvel is trying to be like a 13 hour movie telling one continuous story, that's why they have atrocious pacing. Broadcast TV shows are at least structured to try and tell a story with a beginning, middle and end over the course of one episode because they're weekly. Netflix stuff often just picks an arbitrary cut off point from one episode to another.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Luke Cage S2 also has pacing issues

*googles

Yup, it does.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to say it, but i will say it. AoS is pretty much the only comic show with perfect pacing, hell it has better pacing than most shows

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to say it, but i will say it. AoS is pretty much the only comic show with perfect pacing, hell it has better pacing than most shows

I didn't want to say it cuz I feel like I'm always saying it lol

But it's true. :3

If it's a Netflix marvel show it has pacing issues

Fucking defenders was 8 episodes but instead of I don't know giving each of the five fingers more focus we fill time with nothing

Man, imagine if the Avengers ended up being as big a disappointment as Defenders was

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Man, imagine if the Avengers ended up being as big a disappointment as Defenders was
If it was made by the same team Thor and Iron man can't use their shit because they use too much energy and Thor is a moron not the lovable kind

Plus they will spend most of the time arguing in a warehouse while Loki argues with Thanos for hours

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I like these shows being longer because it helps to show them as actual heroes. Black Lightning was stuck in his own personal problems. I want to see them tackle normal crimes from time to time.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Lightning moved well at the start, but the last couple of episodes felt incredibly rushes to cram the comicbook action shit and over the topness CW superheros hero shows were bringing.

I have concerns about season 2... because it's a hero show on the CW... they don't have consistent great seasons back to back

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
We shouldn't risk it

I'm willing to give the writers of Black Lightning the benefit of the doubt with an increased episode count.

There were some things later in the season that could have benefited from more build up. A four episode increase seems like the right amount to help with that, while making sure things don't drag on.