• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
This is a wild story. TLDR:
• Alice Sebold was raped as a freshman in college in 1981
• Months later she spotted Anthony Broadwater, a black man, on the street who she claimed looked exactly like her attacker
• Broadwater was arrested, but Sebold picked out a different man in the police lineup
• Broadwater was tried anyway, and convicted on two pieces of evidence: microscopic hair analysis (which has since been debunked as junk science) and Sebold's testimony
• Broadwater served 16 years in prison and was registered as a sex offender
• Sebold wrote of the rape in her memoir "Lucky"
• "Lucky" was set for a film adaptation, and executive producer Tim Mucciante became skeptical when the events described in the script differed from the book
• Mucciante hired a private investigator and later two lawyers (David Hammond and Melissa Swartz) to look into the case
• Hammond and Swartz successfully fought to have Broadwater's conviction overturned due to the flaws in the prosecution

Articles:
Conviction overturned in 1981 rape of 'The Lovely Bones' author Alice Sebold
He spent years in prison for the rape of author Alice Sebold, the subject of her memoir, 'Lucky.' A judge just exonerated him

Some quotes from the articles:

For decades, throughout his years in prison and even after he was released, Anthony Broadwater insisted he was innocent of the rape of "The Lovely Bones" author Alice Sebold, a crime she described in her memoir, "Lucky." Convicted in 1982, Broadwater spent more than 16 years in prison. He was denied parole at least five times because he wouldn't admit to a crime he didn't commit, according to his attorneys. And he passed two lie detector tests.

After Broadwater was arrested, though, Sebold failed to identify him in a police lineup, picking a different man as her attacker because "the expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me." In "Lucky," Sebold wrote that "a detective and a prosecutor told her after the lineup that she picked out the wrong man and how the prosecutor deliberately coached her into rehabilitating her misidentification," according to the affirmation.

Broadwater was nonetheless tried and convicted in 1982 based largely on two pieces of evidence. On the witness stand, Sebold identified him as her rapist. And an expert said microscopic hair analysis had tied Broadwater to the crime. That type of analysis has since been deemed junk science by the U.S. Department of Justice. "Sprinkle some junk science onto a faulty identification, and it's the perfect recipe for a wrongful conviction," Broadwater's attorney, David Hammond, told the Post-Standard.

Sebold wrote in "Lucky" that when she was informed that she'd picked someone other than the man she'd previously identified as her rapist, she said the two men looked "almost identical." She wrote that she realized the defense would be that: "A panicked white girl saw a black man on the street. He spoke familiarly to her and in her mind she connected this to her rape. She was accusing the wrong man."

Mucciante "had doubts that the story was the way that it was being portrayed in the film," said Hammond, which led him to hire a private investigator who is associated with their law firm. "It didn't take long, digging around, that we realized, OK, there's something here," said Hammond. He and Swartz listened to the transcript of the trial and found "serious legal issues," which prompted them to bring a motion, he said.

As to Sebold, Broadwater said he would like an apology. "I sympathize with her, what happened to her," he said. "I just hope there's a sincere apology. I would accept it. I'm not bitter or have malice towards her."

I understand these kinds of stories are dicey to talk about, since they're sometimes used to concern troll about false accusations/cast doubt on rape accusations, but this one is worth reading about. What a travesty of a prosecution, and what a crazy way to finally get the case overturned.

Last edited:

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
This is disgusting. I hope he sues the shit out of the author and the police department. Losing so much time AND living with the shame of being being a rapist even though you aren't one? Life is ruined.

Guilty of being black. Fuck that person.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Serious credit to that executive producer for investigating things.
He could have just slapped a "Based on a true story" line on the story and not gone any further.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Decades of his life stolen. wow. Also, that producer is amazing for pursuing that.

Oct 25, 2017
After Broadwater was arrested, though, Sebold failed to identify him in a police lineup, picking a different man as her attacker because "the expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me." In "Lucky," Sebold wrote that "a detective and a prosecutor told her after the lineup that she picked out the wrong man and how the prosecutor deliberately coached her into rehabilitating her misidentification," according to the affirmation.

Sebold wrote in "Lucky" that when she was informed that she'd picked someone other than the man she'd previously identified as her rapist, she said the two men looked "almost identical." She wrote that she realized the defense would be that: "A panicked white girl saw a black man on the street. He spoke familiarly to her and in her mind she connected this to her rape. She was accusing the wrong man."

Everybody involved in this farce needs to face some harsh consequences. Sebold included.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is disgusting. I hope he sues the shit out of the author and the police department. Losing so much time AND living with the shame of being being a rapist even though you aren't one? Life is ruined.

Guilty of being black. Fuck that person.
Compare that to the rich white young man that assaulted multiple girls and got parole. The system sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
As an American, our justice system is fucking pathetic. It's scary how easy innocent people's lives can be ruined. Also, the author should be ashamed of herself and face some sort of consequences.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Serious credit to that executive producer for investigating things.
He could have just slapped a "Based on a true story" line on the story and not gone any further.
Yeah, that's some due diligence I did not expect. I sympathise with Sebold for going through a traumatic event, but her racism inflicted more needless trauma in turn.

I hope the guy will get well compensated for half his life being robbed from him, and folks and institutions involved in his prosecution face consequences for this injustice.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
That CNN piece mostly leaves out the part where after she failed to identify the accused in the lineup, the prosecutor (falsely) told her that the guy she had actually identified had conspired to trick her with the accused as they were friends (not true).
It was bullshit that should have ended the case right there, but it actually led to her correctly identifying him in court because the prosecution had fixed it that way behind the scenes.
It's a hell of a crazy story.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
And to think, had the dude not went with his bullshit detector and just went on with making the movie, this would've just been another innocent man ignored and unheard, and it's moronic that he went as long as he did dismissed.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The prosecution sound like monsters in this case, but also the whole concept of a line-up seems completely unfit for purpose if the victim / witness doesn't claim to have a fairly solid idea of what the perpetrator looked like. Without that, you're just putting people you don't like in front of someone who's predisposed to want to point the finger at one of them no matter how uncertain they are.

Dec 13, 2018
Fuck the prosecuters

This lady probably followed along as a teen with their suggestions thinking they were right with the "DNA" they had or whatever , doubt she was planning a media empire and needed a stooge to write about

All that aside though, she profited tremendously while causing amazing misery to that person and I hope she does the right thing and compensates that man tremendously beyond the common decency of an apology. The cynic in me is making me think she's waiting for an all clear from her lawyers before publically saying anything.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That CNN piece mostly leaves out the part where after she failed to identify the accused in the lineup, the prosecutor (falsely) told her that the guy she had actually identified had conspired to trick her with the accused as they were friends (not true).
It was bullshit that should have ended the case right there, but it actually led to her correctly identifying him in court because the prosecution had fixed it that way behind the scenes.
It's a hell of a crazy story.
WTF. That is just criminal.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Great to see this man never gave up and maintained his stance. Kudos to the EP for not simply rolling with an adaptation and starting to dig deeper after smelling bullshit.

The city is undoubtedly going to trial and will compensate the man for what the prosecution did to him and Sebold should apologise to him, nobody is going to get him 16 years he spend in hell back, but at least they can right some wrongs.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Wow at all the posters going after Sebold. She was a raped teenager who picked out the wrong person in a line up and was manipulated by the prosecutor. It was up to the system to investigate and prosecute on the facts. Her real rapist escaped justice. Both Sebold and Broadwater are victims.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The man lost 16 years of his life in prison and had to live as a registered sex offender ever since, all because he was black. Gross negligence by the government and the verdict should have been thrown out the moment the hair analysis technique was deemed unreliable, the case shouldn't have been tried at all from how lose the accusations seems to be.

Good on the producer for following through on him believing the verdict was wrong and proving it, it would have been easy to just forget about the case. Obviously the accusations come from someone who needs to be heard since no one should experience what she went through, but without solid evidence you shouldn't be able convict someone of a crime and thus the government in the end failed both victims.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Am I Missing something? Reading the article, it's fair to say Sebold was used by the prosecutors to get the conviction, why are people going after her?

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Wow at all the posters going after Sebold. She was a raped teenager who picked out the wrong person in a line up and was manipulated by the prosecutor. It was up to the system to investigate and prosecute on the facts. Her real rapist escaped justice. Both Sebold and Broadwater are victims.
I don't think anyone is really blaming her, obviously she experienced a tremendous trauma and was manipulated into believing that Broadwater was the guy. But it would be a right thing to do to at least point out in the future editions of Lucky that the man who was blamed for the crime was eventually exonerated and that prosecution used bogus evidence.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't think anyone is really blaming her, obviously she experienced a tremendous trauma and was manipulated into believing that Broadwater was the guy. But it would be a right thing to do to at least point out in the future editions of Lucky that the man who was blamed for the crime was eventually exonerated and that prosecution used bogus evidence.

I mean you had one person call her a racist and another person say she should be ashamed of herself and another person that hopes they sue the shit out of her.

I do agree that they should update the book, though.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Am I Missing something? Reading the article, it's fair to say Sebold was used by the prosecutors to get the conviction, why are people going after her?
She identified an innocent man on the street randomly as her attacker months later. Then later failed to identify the same man in a line up because another man looked the same as him. Then later identified him in court as her attacker.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
She identified an innocent man on the street randomly as her attacker months later. Then later failed to identify the same man in a line up because another man looked the same as him. Then later identified him in court as her attacker.

While this is fucked up in all manner of ways... what could she do? If she believed it was that man, did say the wrong one, then later said it was him again, wouldn't it fall on the justice system to more or less remove her testimony as non-believable?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Wow, the producer really went above and beyond. Major props to him, the PI and the lawyers involved in pushing this through.

I hope Anthony Broadwater gets some compensation for the decades he lost.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wait so the man that raped her, and then the two Black men in the line up looked EXACTLY the same to her? 3 people looked identical in her mind? Uh huh.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017

A traumatised young rape victim believed she saw her attacker on the street. What followed was on police and prosecuters and their desperation to convict.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you had one person call her a racist and another person say she should be ashamed of herself and another person that hopes they sue the shit out of her.

I do agree that they should update the book, though.

""the expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me."

She said this about a completely innocent man on her own. There was no prosecutor giving her instructions at that time. Once she was told she picked the wrong man, she claimed it was because they looked nearly identical.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Losing your freedom for a crime you didn't commit is scary stuff. That's by far the worst thing that can happen in a justice system.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

which was done by the prosecution manipulating her, said that right in the article. The cross-race misidentification is also a known issue in court proceedings.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that's awful no amount of money or compensation in the world can get back the years this man wrongfully lost. I hope he can find peace and joy in the years he has left.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Kinda peak America that it took a rich suit on a hunch to exonerate a black convicted on the most blatantly bullshit of evidence.

Really though, props on that EP for acting, even if it's fucked as hell that it took that.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
1. Her actual rapist.
2. The innocent man on the street she identified as her rapist.
3. The wrong guy she identified in a police line up.

ALL 3 of them looked completely identical to her? Wow.

Then this quote about the man she wrongly identified in the lineup "the expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me."

Wow.

I feel terribly sorry that she was raped, and not only that, but I also feel terrible for her because her actual rapist escaped justice. But honestly after the lineup misidentification the prosecutor should have thrown out the case and realized she was an unreliable witness.

I hope she is also able to look within and deal with the biases she has that have lead to this misidentification.

It seems tragic that after her misidentification prosecutors still went along with the case. And she later became a wealthy successful author while an innocent man she misidentified had his life ruined.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking disgusting. Glad he got justice but he was robbed of having a normal life. Hope he can recover over the next years.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Mucciante, props to you. Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty.

I hope Broadwater gets just compensation not that you can ever be made whole by a monetary reward.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
""the expression in his eyes told me that if we were alone, if there were no wall between us, he would call me by name and then kill me."

She said this about a completely innocent man on her own. There was no prosecutor giving her instructions at that time. Once she was told she picked the wrong man, she claimed it was because they looked nearly identical.

she didn't feel that he was innocent at the time. Again this is a well known issue with lineups and it has been well documented that people tend to remember facial features of those of the same race as them.