• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Black Mesa on Steam

Relive Half-Life.

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Black Mesa :: Fear Not The Long Road

In March 2006, two of my college classmates got onto the Black Mesa mod team. I applied as an artist, and they more or less vouched for me. The team “hired” me without even completing an art test. From there I became the art lead, a partner in the new “Crowbar Collective LLC”, project lead, and...

In March 2006, two of my college classmates got onto the Black Mesa mod team. I applied as an artist, and they more or less vouched for me. The team "hired" me without even completing an art test. From there I became the art lead, a partner in the new "Crowbar Collective LLC", project lead, and eventually owner of the company.

As I write this, I am realizing that we plan to FINISH Black Mesa exactly 14 years to the month from when I first joined the team. 14 years working on a single project, with a dedicated team, that had a vision, and saw it through.

There are probably a fair number of people who if you asked them "Do you want to own a video game company?", would say "Yes! Absolutely. Whatever it takes!", but it is easy to commit to something when it is guaranteed. If instead in 2006 someone said to me "This will be difficult. You will consider quitting multiple times, and it is going to take you at least 14 years to complete." I am not sure I would have signed up for that.

Who would have blamed me if I didn't? For the majority of its development, Black Mesa was a volunteer project. Even after we got the green light to sell the game, we still did not make any money until late June of 2015.

I have heard "you should never work for free", and I really couldn't disagree with that more. I did multiple free side projects in college that either eventually paid off, or got me connections I otherwise would not have had. I learned communication and leadership skills in my volunteer fire department. I got my first game industry job because of my free work on Black Mesa, and then after a round of layoffs, my job BECAME Black Mesa. The thing that was supposed to be a portfolio piece to launch my career, became my career, and I would not have been in that position if I didn't commit to the work as a volunteer.

The key to doing work for free is it has to be important to you AND it has to be important to other people. For Black Mesa, the quality of the source material, and the excitement of the community when we would post even the smallest amount of media is what kept us going.

The fact is, all roads are long roads. If you fear that, you'll shy away from choosing the one that excites you most, and has the biggest reward. Not everyone is going to have reliable friends to pull them onto projects, not everyone is going to have the opportunity to own a video game company, but if there is something you want to accomplish there's nothing left to do, but to do it. You can not win the game if you don't play.

Through luck, hard work, and maybe a bit of ignorance we didn't shy away from our goal of bringing this game to completion. We are proud of what we built. We think this upcoming 1.0 release is the best, most polished, and most fun version of the game yet. The anticipation and excitement around our project is beyond flattering.

Black Mesa is a video game, it is our video game, and it has its strengths, and its flaws. As Leonardo da Vinci said, "Art is never finished, only abandoned" and while we plan to fully support this game after 1.0 with bug fixes and more, it will never be a perfect game.

This is not to downplay, or make excuses, but as the person who drafts most of these media posts, I think it is important to break away from the marketing and the "hype". Before Astroneer launched, they made a blog post about managing expectations for their game, and it really resonated with me, and inspired me to someday write a post like this one. We are super excited to have Black Mesa be "complete", but acknowledge it is not perfect and won't ever be perfect.

I hope that everyone has something that inspires them as much as Half-Life inspired us. I hope that everyone embraces the setbacks and challenges that come, and I hope no one fears the long road in front of them.

Black Mesa 1.0 will launch Thursday March 5th on Steam.

Thank you,
-Adam Engels
-The Black Mesa team

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
okay so as someone who has never played HL before and wants to play through the first two before Alyx is out, should I play this or vanilla HL1?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They knew it was do or die to get this shiot done when Alyx is looming. Side theory- Valve let them know what was going down and worked together with them behind the scenes.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx coming out and Black Mesa actually finishing this March?! Obviously I am in a coma and this is all in my mind.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
okay so as someone who has never played HL before and wants to play through the first two before Alyx is out, should I play this or vanilla HL1?
Black Mesa includes some stuff that fits more with the overall continuity of the series and has tighter pacing, but I'd still recommend the original if only for nostalgia's sake. That said, it must be said that HL1 is a much harder game than its sequels or remake, so don't bump it up to hard unless you're sure you can do it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh...i just saw the xen trailer on the steam page for the first time. Own the game but havent started it yet fearing they would never finish. It looks like a fairly big production. Did they update the first parts of the game at all to bring the level up? Is there news as to what their intentions are with 1.0 beyond just completing xen?

Also gonna be neat seeing official Steam and Valve advertising behind this to get hype for Alyx.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to finally play this. I've put off playing Half-Life 1 until this was done since it felt a tad too dated to hold my attention back in the day.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So is this basically the first Half-Life or what?
Yeah, a remake of it in the HL2 engine, I think with further enhancements to the engine.

FWIW I haven't played the original or this, been waiting for it to be finished. But I think they completely redesigned the last part of the game from the ground up since it's a heavily criticized part of the original.

Nov 28, 2017
Wow, I remember being a kid first discovering Valve/Half-Life/Steam through GoldenEye: Source back in '05 and then reading about this mod. Where does time go?

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I just got this recently and started playing it. Definitely a little bit smoother experience than OG, glad it exists.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i haven't played xen yet but looks like it was released right before xmas last year...dunno what 1.0 will add.
1.0 Release

We will do a thorough review of the game's systems and levels to work out any bugs and broken bits for our release out of EA. This includes:
  • A Multiplayer Pass. There will not be any features added to MP for 1.0, but we do need to make sure all the current features are working and work well.

• An AI Pass. The alien AI between Earthbound and Xen is completely different. We want to evaluate if it can be ported back into Earth without breaking the gameplay balance. We also want to look at the HECU Marines and make sure they are using all their features, and see about reining in some bad behaviour.

• Workshop Pass. We would love to utilize the workshop for our own experiments and to see what the community can do with our assets and tools. The first step in this will be making sure all the workshop systems are working properly and improve usability.

• Bug fixes and refinements to the entirety of the game. With Xen, Gordon's adventure clocks in around 15 hours. We want to make sure there are no major sticking points, and that everyone has the best Black Mesa experience they possibly can.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yeah, a remake of it in the HL2 engine, I think with further enhancements to the engine.

FWIW I haven't played the original or this, been waiting for it to be finished. But I think they completely redesigned the last part of the game from the ground up since it's a heavily criticized part of the original.
It's a full remake of the original Half Life

Oh wow cool

I only played the original....the non-source one and it was okay...(mainly didnt like it cause of the visuals, feel to the game) - maybe I will enjoy it more if I play the source version or this lol

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
What are the odds that Valve would ever let this be ported to consoles?

Valve at this point pretty much doesn´t care, you really should ask the Crowbar Collective if they are willing to do so.

Finished the game when they released the full Xen beta, I still prefere the movement from the original, but man, the gameplay changes are pretty damn cool, and Xen is fucking amazing now.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Both.

The original HL is still great and this game doesn't replace it, but BM is a very good remake and takes liberties that weren't possible in the original. The latter section of the game takes place in Xen, an alien world, and was known for not being particularly fun in the original. They COMPLETELY overhauled Xen in Black Mesa and it's incredible now.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Huh...i just saw the xen trailer on the steam page for the first time. Own the game but havent started it yet fearing they would never finish. It looks like a fairly big production. Did they update the first parts of the game at all to bring the level up? Is there news as to what their intentions are with 1.0 beyond just completing xen?

Also gonna be neat seeing official Steam and Valve advertising behind this to get hype for Alyx.
That's what they plan on doing after 1.0 launches is updating the textures of the original half.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a journey and what it has become. Highly recommended if people still haven't played it.
Honestly if you like FPS and science fiction at all, it's an incredible, fun, bloody ride.

I'm extremely excited to be jumping back in as someone who played it upon its initial Steam release, and honestly, it's strange and wonderful to see this reach 1.0 status. Sometimes dreams come true, with patience and hard work!

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Hell, it's about time.gif.

Looking froward to playing this all the way through again, including Xen for the first time.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just started the original Half-Life yesterday in preparation for Alyx's release in March. I'll check this out before then if I finish all the other games in time.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The day after my Gamepass expires. It is destined (with a years-deferred replay of the HL2 games after that).

tumblr_ojp49ljC7I1rgnh13o1_400.gifv

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is it pretty safe to play the current stable branch and continue that save in the final?

From what I understand, the first 3/4 of the game is finished and ready to go through now right?

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Crazy. I remember downloading the original theme before anything was playable...

Congratulations to the team! Halfway through this already and it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to reach Xen!

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had this bought for a while now and just been waiting for a good ol 1.0 release to play through this and HL2 after. Gonna be great :D

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Just played through the public beta over the weekend. They knocked it out of the park with Zen.

I disagree they nailed it with Xen. It felt about twice the length it needed to be. I just about quit when I got to the 10th plug in the power cord puzzle in a row in Xen and only finished because I forced myself to power through it.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Literally installed this yesterday as I thought 1.0 was already out, I think I'll just wait another few weeks... I've been waiting for this since it was announced and I cannot wait to play it.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
This will be the first time I've played it since the first public release. Pretty hyped.