Black Mirror Season 5 - Coming June 5

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Black Mirror has never had an entirely good season. With just 3 episodes now I worry we'll only have one good one, the writing has kind of run its course by now. Needs more guest writers to help out. Nosedive was one of the better recent ones (alongside San Junipero tho)

hank_tree

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Three episodes is a little disappointing, but I’m always up for more Black Mirror, I have enjoyed every episode and some of them are truly great, San Junipero is one of the greatest modern movies.

Maybe it’s a situation where it’s a part 1 and 2?
The original deal with Netflix was for 12 episodes, so there's at least 2 more coming. I'd guess 3, and that Bandersnatch was outside that original deal.

ArtVandelay

May 29, 2018
What a great contribution to this thread
Brevity is the soul of wit.

The first two seasons were somewhat original and occasionally pretty clever.
But Brooker has clearly run out of ideas and relies on lame shock endings. He is too far up his own ass by now, as evidenced by his silly attempt to try and link all the stories in some convoluted wink-wink MCU fashion.

Crocodile and Metalhead are by far the worst episodes (though Nosedive also comes close).

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The original deal with Netflix was for 12 episodes, so there's at least 2 more coming. I'd guess 3, and that Bandersnatch was outside that original deal.
Sounds like it’s a split season thing then, they just push these out early while they wrap up production on the others and then call the rest season 5 part 2 or season 6.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Um.. this looks really bad. Almost like a self parody.. this looks True Detective S2 kind of bad.

The great thing about Black Mirror(first 2 seasons) was that it wasn't too 'on the nose'... this looks like a dumbed down imitation. I mean, it literally has the "everyone's staring at their phones 24/7" complaint.

In 2005, I drove by a car accident where an unconscious, shoe-less guy was lying in the street and everyone on the sidewalk was taking photos with their flip phones.. at least 3 years before iphone and smartphones were common, it was clear where things were headed. This is an unnecessary season of a show that has already sent meaningful and relevant(at the time) messages. Hell, China is already imitating the social rating shit. People insist on recreating the bad things science fiction writers warn us about. Once society reaches that level of stupidity, shows like Black Mirror don't need to exist.

Last edited:

Prine

Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 wasn't good, and almost put me off the show itself, hope it's nothing like it. Was utterly average with few surprises. USS Callister did nothing for me, and the rest lacked the ingenuity and thought provoking commentary of previous seasons.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Brevity is the soul of wit.

The first two seasons were somewhat original and occasionally pretty clever.
But Brooker has clearly run out of ideas and relies on lame shock endings. He is too far up his own ass by now, as evidenced by his silly attempt to try and link all the stories in some convoluted wink-wink MCU fashion.

Crocodile and Metalhead are by far the worst episodes (though Nosedive also comes close).
What's wrong with Crocodile?

Riversands

Nov 21, 2017
Sounds like it’s a split season thing then, they just push these out early while they wrap up production on the others and then call the rest season 5 part 2 or season 6.
That actually makes sense. Even though it seems netflix never did this before. I even prefer this kind of story, release two parts of one season separately