• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Black Mirror has never had an entirely good season. With just 3 episodes now I worry we'll only have one good one, the writing has kind of run its course by now. Needs more guest writers to help out. Nosedive was one of the better recent ones (alongside San Junipero tho)

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Three episodes is a little disappointing, but I'm always up for more Black Mirror, I have enjoyed every episode and some of them are truly great, San Junipero is one of the greatest modern movies.

Maybe it's a situation where it's a part 1 and 2?
The original deal with Netflix was for 12 episodes, so there's at least 2 more coming. I'd guess 3, and that Bandersnatch was outside that original deal.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
What a great contribution to this thread

Brevity is the soul of wit.

The first two seasons were somewhat original and occasionally pretty clever.
But Brooker has clearly run out of ideas and relies on lame shock endings. He is too far up his own ass by now, as evidenced by his silly attempt to try and link all the stories in some convoluted wink-wink MCU fashion.

Crocodile and Metalhead are by far the worst episodes (though Nosedive also comes close).

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The original deal with Netflix was for 12 episodes, so there's at least 2 more coming. I'd guess 3, and that Bandersnatch was outside that original deal.

Sounds like it's a split season thing then, they just push these out early while they wrap up production on the others and then call the rest season 5 part 2 or season 6.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Um.. this looks really bad. Almost like a self parody.. this looks True Detective S2 kind of bad.

The great thing about Black Mirror(first 2 seasons) was that it wasn't too 'on the nose'... this looks like a dumbed down imitation. I mean, it literally has the "everyone's staring at their phones 24/7" complaint.

In 2005, I drove by a car accident where an unconscious, shoe-less guy was lying in the street and everyone on the sidewalk was taking photos with their flip phones.. at least 3 years before iphone and smartphones were common, it was clear where things were headed. This is an unnecessary season of a show that has already sent meaningful and relevant(at the time) messages. Hell, China is already imitating the social rating shit. People insist on recreating the bad things science fiction writers warn us about. Once society reaches that level of stupidity, shows like Black Mirror don't need to exist.

Last edited:

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 wasn't good, and almost put me off the show itself, hope it's nothing like it. Was utterly average with few surprises. USS Callister did nothing for me, and the rest lacked the ingenuity and thought provoking commentary of previous seasons.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Brevity is the soul of wit.

The first two seasons were somewhat original and occasionally pretty clever.
But Brooker has clearly run out of ideas and relies on lame shock endings. He is too far up his own ass by now, as evidenced by his silly attempt to try and link all the stories in some convoluted wink-wink MCU fashion.

Crocodile and Metalhead are by far the worst episodes (though Nosedive also comes close).
What's wrong with Crocodile?

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Sounds like it's a split season thing then, they just push these out early while they wrap up production on the others and then call the rest season 5 part 2 or season 6.
That actually makes sense. Even though it seems netflix never did this before. I even prefer this kind of story, release two parts of one season separately

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Glad people have turned on season 4 a little bit because I think it was nothing but praise in the official thread.

I agree about the show turning after the Netflix deal, even though Shut Up and Dance is one of my top 3 episodes.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
didn't really like how Striking Vipers ended but I enjoyed it, was sort of a San Junipero retread even though it explores a different theme

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the new episodes yet, but I wonder how original they are. At some point, there's gotta be some serious overlap with prior themes.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched Smithereens.

No big twist was honestly surprising, but it's a good, solid hour of no bullshit drama- definitely get the feeling that Brooker wrote this to test his chops away from the gimmicks. Scott's performance was remarkable.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Glad people have turned on season 4 a little bit because I think it was nothing but praise in the official thread.

I agree about the show turning after the Netflix deal, even though Shut Up and Dance is one of my top 3 episodes.

I do hope there's a bit more polish to the episodes with Brooker returning to 3 episode seasons - although USS Callister is easily in my top 3 across the series.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed Striking Vipers, it's a solid episode that retreads San Junipero a little in theme.

The episode succeeds in showing how different ways of communication can allow us to express ourselves in ways we didn't expect, the affection was always there between the two guys and the game allowed them to break that barrier.

Great acting performances from the leads and it's heartbreaking seeing the marriage starting to fall apart, especially with Theo blaming their issues on herself. Karl coming clean at the dinner admitting he can't move on from what they had in the game was sad, he became addicted to the game.

Last edited:

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Smithereens wasn't that interesting,

you pretty much understand what's happening long before he gets on the phone with Billy and nothing of note happens after that. Social media is bad and distracting! This concept isn't breaking any ground here lol.

And the cliffhanger was classic bad Black Mirror, why does he always do this? I mean judging by the faces it's obvious the intern dies, but I also wanted to see what was in the dead girls account lol

Kind of boring first two eps, Striking Vipers was much better though.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I didn't realise this was only going to be 3 episodes. I guess that's down to the A-list cast pushing budgets up? Looking forward to watching them soon anyway.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Damn I didn't realise this was only going to be 3 episodes. I guess that's down to the A-list cast pushing budgets up? Looking forward to watching them soon anyway.

I think its more Netflix wanting the season out like last year but Booker wasn't creatively ready, thats why they gave us Bandersnatch earlier and probably are getting more eps later this year. Should've been part of one season but they are spreading it all out

Scarbourgh Fair

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Quote from the episode creator :Here's my read on your ambiguous ending: By not revealing who was shot and then showing people checking their phones to see what happened, you're putting the viewers in the same state as those social media users who are asking themselves: "What's the update? What happened next?" You're giving us the same desire for the latest news that we get when we pick up our phone to check a trending topic we're following, and by then denying us that final piece of information, you're staging an intervention by interrupting our addictive pattern. Or did I read too much into it? "

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Striking Vipers thoughts:
I thought it was a really good episode. It does well to strike that blend of weird, yet very human that I watch Black Mirror for, while also showcasing a strange scenario that can only ever really occur with the sort of technology that is at the core of the episode. At first, when they were just gaming, and even into the second gaming session with the VR, I thought "Aw jeez, another VR video game type of ep", but things quickly took an interesting turn.

I reckon a lot of us have probably participated in those weird and far-fetched talks with our friends about what we'd do in a virtual environment that wouldn't be possible in the real world, and we likely haven't given it thought much deeper than a half-joking "I'd fly", or "I'd fuck my waifu". This episode, however, does well to showcase how something like that might affect people's real life mindsets and behavioral patterns as a result of such a thing actually being possible. People are weird, and the scenario depicted in the episode where two dudes decide to fuck in a game just to see what it'd be like, then get addicted to it, was actually pretty compelling. Does it count as cheating? Is it gay? How does it feel for the dude playing as a girl? I liked that the characters asked and answered those questions.

In the end, it turned out that they weren't even gay for each other in the real world, just addicted to the experience of getting their rocks off in an odd way: playing a fighting game, and using their in-game characters to screw instead of fight. Lmao

Also wanna heap some praise on the dinner scene between the two near the end of the episode, which was both dramatic and funny. "I fucked the polar bear, man!"
Overall, a strong start to the season, I'd say.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Probably more to do with some of the budget going on Bandersnatch this year.

The cast isn't that laden with high profile stars. In fact, considering how well the series is received as a whole in popular culture, I believed the actors aren't in it solely for the pay, but the chance to be part of something great.