• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Dead spiders.

Let me explain.

When I was little [around 4-5] My family and I we're stationed on Fort Sill military base in Oklahoma and I was bored one day on a Saturday afternoon and found a large, dead Wolf spider on the window sill. As I was a curious young lad, I poked it with a pencil and when I saw that it didn't move, I slid the pencil through it's curled up legs and lifted it up - studying it...and then something in my head told me that I should smell it - just to see what it smelled like and so I did...

I recoiled in horror from the bitter, pungent, noxious aroma and put it back on the window sill - in utter shock and awe of how horrible it smelled.

An unearthly, highly unpleasant stench it was.

A week or so later, my parents had an officer's wives function at the house and had a Mexican theme with a taco bar and I remember grabbing some of the black olives and then smelling my fingers and as I was horrified at the fact that they smelled identical to the dead spider! I then grabbed a fork and punctured one of the actual black olives to smell it first-hand, instead of just from my fingers and sure enough, the exact same pungent, bitter, dead spider smell.

I love green olives - both as a snack, or in my martini's...but I will not, not for any reason - eat a black olive. You may like them. In a tree? I would not, could not in a tree. Not in a car! You let me be. I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox, not on a pizza, not on a taco, not on nachos - not on anything.
I will not eat a black olive, Sam-I-Am.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What first the cilantro now this??

pizza-3.jpg

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Black olives are the best. The real ones tho, not the cheap fake black ones. Drizzle some lemon juice on top of them, mhhh.
I eat at least 20 of those delicious mfers at breakfast

bud

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not a fan of black olives either.

green olives is where it's at.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've never smelled a dead spider before, so I'm just going to trust you on this.
I'll mention this next time somebody asks me why I don't like olives.

Oct 27, 2017
I love olives, black and green. The black ones run right through me though, I can't really eat them unfortunately

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Black olives are just treated so they don't have to be fermented (all the other olives you eat are fermented). You're just smelling the brine along with any residual odor of the olive itself.

They're all the same fruit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to let you know, OP, that I really appreciate your thread banner.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
imitation crab meat tastes like tony hawks pro skater 3 on the gamecube

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who grew up on a farm, goat cheese tastes like goats smell.

Of course this makes sense due to the direct connection, unlike your example, I just find it funny that goat cheese is held in such high esteem.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
My best friend agrees with me on this - that's how we met, actually lol!

The first day of 5th grade when we moved to Alabama from Oklahoma, I didn't know anyone here yet, so at lunch I sat at a random table and the guy sitting adjacent to me was sneering in disgust at the guy next to me who was eating a salad with black olives on it. I said "I don't like black olives" and he said "Me either - they smell like dead spiders".
giphy.gif

🤘

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because of OP's distaste for black olives and cilantro, Cyberpunk is going to be cancelled.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My best friend agrees with me on this - that's how we met, actually lol!

The first day of 5th grade when we moved to Alabama from Oklahoma, I didn't know anyone here yet, so at lunch I sat at a random table and the guy sitting adjacent to me was sneering in disgust at the guy next to me who was eating a salad with black olives on it. I said "I don't like black olives" and he said "Me either - they smell like dead spiders".
giphy.gif

🤘
On my first day of college, I met a guy. We were discussing foods and what they smell off and things related.

I said "oh I have a weird one, sugar puffs make your wee smell like...."

And we both said at the same time "christmas".

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Canned black olives have a vile smell for sure.
Them's the ones😤
I just want to let you know, OP, that I really appreciate your thread banner.
😂😂😂

Thank you for noticing! I made that just for the thread - I started doing that when I made the Cyberpunk 2077 × The Shining Easter egg thread and I figured it would just liven things up and make things feel more special and unique👍
It's spreading...
Because of OP's distaste for black olives and cilantro, Cyberpunk is going to be cancelled.
tenor.gif

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Black olives are great. Put 'em on pizza, on salads, in omelets, on tacos, with pasta, in sandwiches. Mmm.

Oct 27, 2017
Black olives are just treated so they don't have to be fermented (all the other olives you eat are fermented). You're just smelling the brine along with any residual odor of the olive itself.

They're all the same fruit.
Black olives are actually force ripened (like other fruit can be force ripened) to an extremely ripened state (think brown banana ripe).

Oct 27, 2017
this is why i can't eat black olives/asparagus/brussels sprouts/deviled eggs, the smell instantly nauseates me. i don't care how much butter you just sauteed that shit in, because i have to leave the room

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like black olives but not green olives.

Kalamata olives taste like a cross between the two and are thus tolerable in a salad or something but I wouldn't eat them out of a jar like the black ones.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nah OP has a point, and unlike the cilantro bashing, there's the much superior green olives to fall back on within the olive family.
Cilantro overpowers all of the other flavors in a given dish. Aside from disliking the taste, I don't like how it takes over my palate when trying to enjoy a meal with many seasonings and flavors.

Green olives are superb.