• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If PC games was 100% physical, would Blizzard, Activision and EA build their own physical stores? Nope. They would try to sell their games in as many stores as possible. Makes sense. So should digital.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
30% if you buy the game trough Steam. You can easily buy Steam codes elsewhere, and Valve won`t earn a thing.
Yup. I think that's really cool. Idk why more devs don't list their games on both Steam and on their own websites. Maybe even have the price marked down just a bit from the Steam store price to entice people to buy it straight from the dev.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PC games was 100% physical, would Blizzard, Activision and EA build their own physical stores? Nope. They would try to sell their games in as many stores as possible. Makes sense. So should digital.

Yes, if the revenue was the issue none of these storefronts would sell via traditional retailers like Amazon.
Its pretty likely minus retail cut, product manager wages, and distribution costs these titles make less revenue than they would have outsourcing the whole thing to steam.

Yup. I think that's really cool. Idk why more devs don't list their games on both Steam and on their own websites. Maybe even have the price marked down just a bit from the Steam store price to entice people to buy it straight from the dev.

As I said upthread, although this obviously doesnt apply to the CODs of the world, an indie selling direct via their own website might earn more revenue per copy, but the publicity value of being featured as a steam best seller is worth significantly more overall, to the extent there have been examples of devs asking people to buy from steam instead of directly from them.

Nozem

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if COD became available on Steam after a while. That way Activision gets 100% of the profits from the early sales rush, and 70% from the leftover Steam-only audience.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Paradox was the pioneer with that model.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Not if I can help it! Already got it pre-ordered and everything. Keep hope alive!

Also at first I was a bit meh about it not being on Steam but right now I'm rather glad that publishers are providing more competition to that platform. Valve need to step up their game and stop being lazy.

Lazy?

- Universal controller support.
- Family sharing.
- Achievements.
- Steam Link.
- Android and iOS streaming app.
- Big Picture mode.
- Refunds, no questions asked.
- Steam sales.
- Most games in one library.
- Screenshots, forums, community, mods.
- Upcoming new client and new Big Picture mode.
- They are working on VR, announced and unannounced games.

What do Battle.net have to offer?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Lazy?

- Universal controller support.
- Family sharing.
- Achievements.
- Steam Link.
- Android and iOS streaming app.
- Big Picture mode.
- Refunds, no questions asked.
- Steam sales.
- Most games in one library.
- Screenshots, forums, community, mods.
- Upcoming new client and new Big Picture mode.
- They are working on VR, announced and unannounced games.

What do Battle.net have to offer?

No cheating. It's a plague on cod ww2, even though there are like say 5k regular players, people will still poison the game by cheating.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Why should BNET suddenly be an anticheat haven? It never was.
Also, Destiny2 didn't use BNET anticheat (whatever blizzard uses) and all things point to CoD also using their own anticheat, you know, the anticheat they used for Steam?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Why should BNET suddenly be an anticheat haven? It never was.
Also, Destiny2 didn't use BNET anticheat (whatever blizzard uses) and all things point to CoD also using their own anticheat, you know, the anticheat they used for Steam?
Does COD even have an anticheat on Steam? I'm not convinced they do.

Anyway, consider this hearsay, but when I mentioned COD on Battle.net to a Blizzard buddy, his first reaction was "yeah, no more cheaters".

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Does COD even have an anticheat on Steam? I'm not convinced they do.

Anyway, consider this hearsay, but when I mentioned COD on Battle.net to a Blizzard buddy, his first reaction was "yeah, no more cheaters".

If a publisher doesn't opt-in into Valve AntiCheat (VAC) they must implement their own AC. It is not Valves fault if the publisher skimp on that end.

How is the cheating on Diablo3 and Overwatch? I only hear about so-and-so many thousand accounts were banned, but not how it prevents cheating.
CoD could have had the same with VAC on Steam-

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
terrible analogy, there's an actual cost to doing all of this with a physical storefront. With digital there are costs but they're mitigated accross their entire library of games. For example, The bnet launcher exists already anyway, it costs them nothing but bandwidth to put a new game on there. That's not remotely the same as opening a retail location specifically to sell a handful of products.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
terrible analogy, there's an actual cost to doing all of this with a physical storefront. With digital there are costs but they're mitigated accross their entire library of games. For example, The bnet launcher exists already anyway, it costs them nothing but bandwidth to put a new game on there. That's not remotely the same as opening a retail location specifically to sell a handful of products.

I mean... the thinking that "Hey, I already have a website, I can just sell stuff there, pay for some CDN, cut out the middleman and free money!" is literally the reason why so many of the single publisher storefronts are so far behind Steam in quality of features, service and usability.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how awful Steam is at preventing cheating, maybe Battle.net offers better tools?

How rampant is cheating in Blizzard's games, compared to services like Origin and Steam?

VAC is very good at detecting cheating, the problem is the same with all anti-cheat system.
They can't work in 'realtime', because that makes it easier for cheat developers to figure out what exactly was detected and how to make their next cheat version harder to detect, so bans come in 'waves' long after the cheating was actually performed - this is literally the way all anti-cheat systems have to work by necessity

You'll see the same complaints raised about CS:GO as you will about Battlefield as you will about Overwatch, with periodic ban waves 'cleaning the pool' temporarily.

The only 'real time' solution to cheating is human detection, which is why the PC gaming community have consistently pushed for community supported dedicated servers forever, as an admin can observe a suspicious player for telltale signs of aimbotting or wallhacking (the most common types of cheat) and give immediate resolution by kicking that player from a server.
Community run dedicated servers run at odds with many publishers GaaS aspirations however, as a player controlled server can happily give you all cosmetics unlocked for all or whatever

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
j4XEi7N.jpg

Everytime I see this, I just imagine Major Nelson spawn killing that one other player over and over again.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It certainly wouldn't have happened on the battlenet, a platform that just doesn't sell indiegames in any capacity at all.
Valve should definitely take a note or two of that curation strategy of theirs.
I know you're being deliberately pedantic but I'd rather have a storefront which is carefully curated rather than the cesspool that is Steam at the moment.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I know you're deliberately being pedantic but I'd rather have a storefront which is carefully curated rather than the cesspool that is Steam at the moment.

It's your prejorative and all that, but the idea that valve should "step up their game" to compete with a platform that literally only sells a total of 9 videogames is beyond hysterical for me.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's your prejorative and all that, but the idea that valve should "step up their game" to compete with a platform that literally only sells a total of 9 videogames is beyond hysterical for me.
Fair enough.

I mean obviously they are two extremes in multiple ways (infrastructure, backend, etc) and also where one company only sells their own products while the other rolls out the carpet for just about anything.

Here's hoping that Valve will take a more active approach when it comes to this stuff in the future.