• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Support the Comic series and the black writers/artist the link has the massive CMX sale, but Amazon has a few on sale too.
ojrXGx6.jpg

As you all know the Film drops this week, but many don't have a clue about this brother outside of the badass panels posted around the web, or that he has beef with Wakanda.

Before I begin let me say fellow comic book fan Zombine from the other site made a great essential reading list, that I have updated.

e0c160_81747efb57e04d0e9dc1986d9e7fbd94~mv2.png

With Black Panther US, I'm sure that many lapsed readers/new fans will have taken interest in the true king of Wakanda, T'Challa, The Black Panther. Considered to be one of the most prominent African superheroes in comics, Black Panther is a character that has played a pivotal role in the Marvel Universe since his inception, and has quite a bit of required reading for those who are interested in fun stories involving the character. For those who have seen Civil War, let this thread serve as the jumping point for your foray into the comic world.

What to know

Comic reading can be an expensive hobby, but there are options available for you to keep your costs down. Marvel Unlimited is a wonderful gateway into this hobby, and for $9.99 you can read over 17,000 back issues of old marvel comics, with the newest material dropping on the site after 6 months or so.

If you are a collector, you can drive the cost down of physical editions by shopping at Instocktrades which sells trade paperbacks and hardcover collections at $45-50% off. US only unfortunately, but Amazon.com will net you some halfway decent discounts as well. Also, check your local library for any books they may have in their collection.

Now, onto the essential reading list:

This is definitely the most current, and best guide to not only Black Panther, but his rogue gallery. It covers everything from the creation to the current Coates run. Worth the buy for the price.
marvel-black-panther-the-ultimate-guide

T'Challa's First Appearance (Fantastic 4 #52-53)

7851-2045-8666-1-fantastic-four.jpg
This is it! The big one! Fantastic Four #52-53, the introduction of Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's new superhero: The Black Panther. The art in this story is gorgeous, and I still feel as if Jack drew him the best. It's Fantasfic Four vs. The King of Wakanda, who will win, and who will pay the ultimate sacrifice? (Nobody, because it's comic books.)

Available in: Fantastic Four Omnibus vol 2, Marvel Unlimited.

T'Challa Joins The Avengers (Avengers #52)

2478312-avengers052.jpg
Not much to say really. Buy today's standards this story is kind of stupid (I look forward to the posts telling me I'm wrong), but this is it, this is when he joins the avengers for the first time, garbage tier ballerina outfit and all. For all intents it's good for what it is, but it's not my favorite issue.

Available in: Avengers Omnibus 2, Marvel Unlimited

Based God Chris Priest Run

41174-6496-46481-1-black-panther.jpg
This is it! This shit is legitttttt omfg you have no idea. Chris Priest basically definited the modern day take on this character, and I love this run to death.

threat.png

There's some big moments here, and T'Challa is as sassy as ever. This is really what I would consider to be the required reading for the character. It can be picked up and read just about anywhere.

Available in: Black Panther The Christopher Priest Collection 1-4, Marvel Unilimted, Comixology

Black Panther is A Dick (New Avengers #1-Onward)

2839332-111.jpg

Setting forth the events of Secret Wars, T'Challa is a member of a secret subset of The Avengers, and he's the biggest prick in the universe. With this being so fresh I won't say much more, but his dynamic with Namor is lovely, and the tension between them is one of the best in comics, and leads to one of the biggest moments I can think of. He plays a pivotal role in the event moving forward, and I consider this to be one of his most important roles in the Marvel Universe. Use your new love of this character to read one of the best Marvel runs ever created (Hickman's New Avengers/Avengers-Secret Wars)

Available in: New Avengers vol 1-onward, Marvel Unlimited, Comixology

Rise of the Black Panther (2018) #1 (of 6)
598145._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Rise of the Black Panther (2018) #1 (of 6)

Just in time for the highly anticipated film, witness the early years of the man who will come to rule one of the most scientifically advanced countries in the world! Wakanda has always kept itself isolated from Western society, but that's all about to change. Young T'Challa knows he is destined to become king, but when his father is brutally murdered by outsiders, he'll find himself taking up a mantle he may not be ready for. Experience never-before-seen drama from the reign of T'Chaka, the king whose death changes a nation's history forever. Learn about the mother T'Challa never knew. See how the world learns about this wondrous nation for the first time. Will the power of the Black Panther be enough to keep his country safe? Journalist Evan Narcisse makes his comics debut alongside acclaimed writer Ta-Nehisi Coates as they chronicle T'Challa's rise to the throne – and to the Panther legacy that made him an Avenger.

Three legendary BLACK PANTHER writers return to Wakanda! Don McGregor's famous storyline "The Panther's Rage" has become one of the most well-respected runs in comic book history. Now, the author who redefined Wakanda for a generation is back to expand the mythos! Bearing the heart-shaped herb that defines the Panther legacy, King T'Challa leaves his beloved country for a heart-wrenching mission in the streets of New York. Then: For half a decade, comics legend Christopher Priest made his mark on the Panther. The acclaimed writer returns with an all-new story – and with it, of course, U.S. State Department employee Everett K. Ross! And finally, no Panther history would be complete without Reggie Hudlin, author of more than 50 Black Panther stories, including the famed "Who Is The Black Panther?" Don't miss the sequel to his "Black to the Future" story, featuring original artist Ken Lashley!

Hope this shortlist helps you in your search for Black Panther books, and begins your love for the character and comics in general. If you have any additional questions about Black Panther, or the 70s run, we can discuss that below. Enjoy!

Now for why you should read Coate's BP run

8xPTknL.jpg

A new era for the Black Panther starts here! Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner TA-NEHISI COATES (Between the World and Me) and illustrated by living legend BRIAN STELFREEZE, "A Nation Under Our Feet" is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Panther's struggle to do right by his people as their ruler. The indomitable will of Wakanda -- the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology and warrior traditions -- has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. But now the current Black Panther, T'Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called The People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. T'Challa knows the country must change to survive -- the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?

Flow impressions from the first few issues. Warning Spoilers
Ok let me tell you how this guy took BP to an higher level than anyone else before. This is not the BP we come to know and love. This is a battered King who has lost almost everything he has cared about, and is trying to get it back.I am conflicted because I am used to BP rekting fools, and delivering chilling lines. Not BP being humbled every issue, but somehow Coates made me love this BP too
t_coates_credit_gabriella_demzuk.jpg

Black Panther #3

portrait_incredible.jpg

Coates-
Hands down this issue right here is what made me a believer of Coates. The writing was honestly on part if not better than Vision. The symbolism, the way the words flowed like poetry, and the different goals of the people of Wakanda...like by the end of the bookalmost teared up.
emotions-gif.gif

Art/Colorist-
-Stelfreeze and Laura Martin did an outstanding job on the art and colors this issue. Now I know why this issue was delayed. BP art was always solid but they took it up a notch.

Summary-
T'challa andhave it rough both finding themselves one in the living and the other in the
right now we have several factions trying to do what they think is best for their Home. This is how you do inner fighting. Dora Milaje wanting justice for their people, BP trying to restore his former reign, and then Tetu/zenzi wanting a revolution.

5/5 one of the most powerful Marvel issues I have ever read.

Black Panther #4

portrait_incredible.jpg

jTYvp7h.gif

Speechless! Queen Ramonda Delivered the biggest words of wisdom ever.
damn-girl.gif

Had to stop right there and reflect on T'challa's journey, and realized the queen was right.

Also those last couple of pages were chilling and was basically a better version of Superman in the court room.Prepare for war! both sides are about to go the extreme.
Coates has delivered an amazing reading experience that has numerous layers. This is one of those books that makes you sit and think life. One of those books that make you look out for your brother and sisters. Listen I won't outright say this is better than vision because that wouldn't be fair but I can safely say it is on par with the best books in the market.

5/5 Coates has proved he can hang with the best writers. Bring on the second arc

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Great OP.
12 year old me was blown away by the first issue of Marvel Knights Black Panther back in 1998. That was my first exposure to the character aside from an old issue of Daredevil I think.
I don't hate the controversial Hudlin run. What I've read of it was quite entertaining to be honest.
I'll get to the modern era stuff as soon as I finish my reread of the Priest run.

Random thought: I wish there were more weird Black Panther crossovers. Like BP / TMNT or BP / The Shadow. Why should Batman have all the fun?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the Black Panther is just going on its 2nd issue and you can buy A Nation Under Our Feet right now. That should be good enough to get you prepped for the movie

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I am reading through the first 12 issues again to get me ready for this BP. I love how Coogler used the purple glow effects of the suit in the film, though the eye opening up is eh to me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am reading through the first 12 issues again to get me ready for this BP. I love how Coogler used the purple glow effects of the suit in the film, though the eye opening up is eh to me.

Before these the only arc I'd read in-depth was The Client. The rest I got through osmosis. And yeah I'm with you on the suit opinions

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I haven't wrote about comics in a while so I apologize for my basic writing technique.

598145._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I totally forgot that T'challa has a uncle on his dad side, or that his Grandfather helped create Caps signature shield. The council being upset about this made for a good read.Also Wakanda being the first in space is amazing, and reading about how they were the pioneers in so many things makes me happy.

This book being about the origin of T'chaka and his battles with the outsiders, and finding a wife are stories that needed to be told. I loved how the book told the perspective of both his wives.

This first issue is definitely required reading for Black Panther fans and newcomers alike.

5/5
rise-of-black-panther-2.png

T'challa's first year as the black panther was awesome and facing his uncle to ascend the throne is dope. Even at a young age he knew Wakanda couldn't remain hidden due to other powers rising(x-men, thor, and others are shown)

The first encounter between Black Panther and Namor King of atlantis is hype. T'challa wants to make Wakanda known but he now knows the struggles of what being known brings. This book teases a lot of future events, that makes me wonder where this mini series will go. Killmonger? Namor flooding?
4/5

I am enjoying this run as much as I did the first few arcs of Coates run which says a lot. Coates is the lead writer here, but the change in artist, and addition of Evan Narcisse(new writer) makes this such an enjoyable read. Rise of the Black Panther is the perfect balance between deep thought, and explosive action. Biggest flaw is that the book contains a ton of exposition which can't be helped since Wakanda lore is so deep. I have learned so much just reading 2 issues than I have read reading the first volume of Priest's run or Coate main panther run.

This book atm is required reading and is perfect before seeing the film that comes out this week

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
But what if I really like the McGregor run and want to see more of T'Challa fighting racism in the USA?

54b46283714a2e26331e4e354cfde1d4ba1db098_hq.jpg

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just bought vol 1, 2, 3, and 4 of coates' current black panther run

should get them next week hopefully

that rise of the black panther #1 cover is amazing

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Read World of Wakanda. I liked it, but it was too short for me and the last part went from being a Dora Milaje story to a BP/White Tiger one. I read some of Priest's run and Coates's, but World of Wakanda is the only Black Panther comic I've liked so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
You can get Priest's entire run on ComiXology right now for $35. Caotes' entire run is only $40. Get both.

I prefer hard copies of my literature.

So I am buying one trade paperback/month. Finished the first (I was on "involuntary leave" from era since March 1), working on the 2nd.

After the magnificent opening story, where BP OHKOs
Mephisto
, the stories kid of fall off.

It's like after he does that crazy thing to be "put over" as a legitimate character after being a forgotten one, he falls back down to earth as...generic, but with MEGA PLOT ARMOR, so that he's always "thinking ahead" of everyone in the known universe, but he still has to go through the motions, sometimes having to rely on random characters like Falcon to save him. He keeps coming back to the states to be "relevant" to modern audiences, but there's always stuff going down in Wakanda that brings him back.

He's up to his widow's peak* in women who would tear their panties off for him like Hulk Hogan tears off his shirt, but he's in love with a woman who doesn't love him back. And then there's this bit about him being in an IR relationship while in college with a woman whom his "US Ambassador" is currently smashing (she's also his boss...conflict of interest, much?).

The villain Priest comes up with in this ark is like the Joker, but he's more crazy than sinister. TBQH, I'll have to back to see how Achebe is dispatched, because I forget. And then there's the White Wolf. So Priest weaves many tapestries, but the payoff is nowhere near as good as the initial OHKO.

Currently, I am reading about how T'Challa has never beaten Killmonger, and now he is searching a kind of purgatory for dead folks.

Not the OMG AWESOME character Slayven painted him as.

*T'Challa is illustrated as bald.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I read volume one of Priest's run and liked it, but I couldn't stand Ross and his narration any longer.

I'm currently reading Hudlin's run, which is more entertaining, but has flaws. I don't like the way he writes T'Challa, especially his dialogue, he doesn't sound regal enough. And yeah, T'Challa and Storm is good on paper, but he disrespects her character reducing her to a love interest. Great art in his run though. Will keep reading, then move onto the Coates run.

I previously read all of Hickman's Marvel run, and really liked his take on Black Panther. I reeeeally hope the movies do an Incursion influenced storyline in the future.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I recently read the entire Priest run and it was great in the opening 12 issues and then got a revamp in the closing volume (with Cole), but overall I was disappointed. There was apparently little faith in Panther to carry his story wholesale, because the neverending team-ups and cameos got old fast, same with Ross' narration. Luckily at some point Priest got tired of him as well and he moves a bit more to the background. He was great as comic relief in the early arcs, but his personality does not really have staying power. It's telling that the best issue of the mid section is a oneshot focusing on Hulk (with Queen Divine Justice). After that I did enjoy
the Panther from the future and how T'Challa's story ended. The King is Dead was a pretty good closing arc.

I'll remember Enemy of the State II, because it's so incredibly convoluted. It's not a good sign when one issue needs a page long recap in the next one.

Priest closes with a street level book more in the vein of Daredevil/Punisher, with some trademark BP elements thrown in. This change of tone also impacted the writing. It felt like Priest was released and could just start over with a new voice. He saves the best for last, since The Crew was a very promising story that gets wrapped up early because it was getting cancelled.

I knew this before going in, but it's still striking how little Wakanda there's in these 70 issues. I wanted to read a bit more about the spiritual aspect of Wakanda (and the astral plane) but this series doesn't touch that at all. I did at some point read a story that focused on this, but I forgot where... maybe Bendis' New Avengers? It was a complete arc about BP's ancestors.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I recently read the entire Priest run and it was great in the opening 12 issues and then got a revamp in the closing volume (with Cole), but overall I was disappointed. There was apparently little faith in Panther to carry his story wholesale, because the neverending team-ups and cameos got old fast, same with Ross' narration. Luckily at some point Priest got tired of him as well and he moves a bit more to the background. He was great as comic relief in the early arcs, but his personality does not really have staying power. It's telling that the best issue of the mid section is a oneshot focusing on Hulk (with Queen Divine Justice). After that I did enjoy
the Panther from the future and how T'Challa's story ended. The King is Dead was a pretty good closing arc.

I'll remember Enemy of the State II, because it's so incredibly convoluted. It's not a good sign when one issue needs a page long recap in the next one.

Priest closes with a street level book more in the vein of Daredevil/Punisher, with some trademark BP elements thrown in. This change of tone also impacted the writing. It felt like Priest was released and could just start over with a new voice. He saves the best for last, since The Crew was a very promising story that gets wrapped up early because it was getting cancelled.

I knew this before going in, but it's still striking how little Wakanda there's in these 70 issues. I wanted to read a bit more about the spiritual aspect of Wakanda (and the astral plane) but this series doesn't touch that at all. I did at some point read a story that focused on this, but I forgot where... maybe Bendis' New Avengers? It was a complete arc about BP's ancestors.

I'm only on volume 2 of the trade paperbacks and your thoughts reverberate on mine PRECISELY!!!!

I get that Marvel was trying to push this or that character along with their "mains," but yeah, everything drags on unnecessarily to justify the presence of these extra characters.

Ha Ha, Queen Divine Justice is just Sistah Soldier.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm only on volume 2 of the trade paperbacks and your thoughts reverberate on mine PRECISELY!!!!

I get that Marvel was trying to push this or that character along with their "mains," but yeah, everything drags on unnecessarily to justify the presence of these extra characters.

Ha Ha, Queen Divine Justice is just Sistah Soldier.

*googles and watches some videos*

Oh damn that's striking, thanks for pointing that out. She was one of my favorite additions.

Make sure to post impressions when you get further along and put on a pot of coffee when you get to Enemy of the State II, be prepared for that :p

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
What the hell does FCBD mean? Why is T'Challa in Asgard?

FCBD is Free Comic Book Day and it happens every year. It's a way to get people into comic stores and preview some of the exciting stories coming down the pipe.

This is teasing the new Marvel Fresh Start Black Panther #1 which starts the storyline of Wakanda in Space. I imagine Asgard is one of his first stops.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
FCBD is Free Comic Book Day and it happens every year. It's a way to get people into comic stores and preview some of the exciting stories coming down the pipe.

This is teasing the new Marvel Fresh Start Black Panther #1 which starts the storyline of Wakanda in Space. I imagine Asgard is one of his first stops.
I thought in the comics Asgard is in another dimension and is that being written by Coates too?

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA

actually reading into it this is part of the Avengers story.

I thought in the comics Asgard is in another dimension and is that being written by Coates too?
all within the same universe.

Coates writing BP and the new Cap book.

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Happy this thread exists. Rise of the Black Panther has been a fantastic remake of BPs origin.

I like Priests' run less than most, Coates more than most, and Hudlin around average.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
While not directly a black panther book. I really enjoyed in presence in Ultimates. Its more crazy cosmic level stuff if you're into that.

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
#1 is out today. Who read it?

I did! I'm still trying to process how I feel about it and will have something more substantial later...

At a glance its a solid "Fresh Start," but it does kind of throw you in the middle of everything.

Excited to see how these mysteries unfold. The final letter page also does a great job of walking through the key players.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I thought it was a great first issue, and the best way for everyone to get over the last few arcs. I have a ton of questions though.

Rise of the Black Panther is probably my favorite mini this year.

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, I've finally read Coates' Black Panther trade paperbacks 2-5 and enjoyed it. I'm really curious about the Wakanda in space arc but I have a question about one of T'Challa's newer powers...

When/where did BP get that badass enchanted spear that T'Challa manifests?