• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Yeah. In Infinity war and beyond I'm gonna need shrewd chess master T'Challa. Im not down with this passive take on the character for more than one movie.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the first marvel movie i genuinely enjoyed throughout. Only weakness was the villain — too much time spent on klau who i just thought was annoying, and killmonger was great but felt under-utilized. Shuri was great, too.

Nov 30, 2017
Okay, sure, but even then, the character has to fix the story being told. If T'Challa is just amazeballs at everything, then any importance that secondary characters can have is lessened.

Anecdotally, I see this pissing contest sort of thing a lot in comic debates. Like, if there is a topic is dealing with characters having a tragic past, then someone's eventually gonna mention Batman. And when they mention batman, there is always gonna be someone who goes 'Batmans a wus, Othercharacterman had his parents blown up before his eyes, but also his aunts and uncles and dog too, and he came away with it smiling while batman broods". Like, the conversation turns into one upping each other over how much X which character had, which automatically makes them better. This could be how much tragedy someone experience, or how smart someone is or how strong they are or whatever.

That's not how good storytelling works. I haven't read BP comics myself (Other than a few first issues of TNC's BP, but I don't consider that sufficient enough to have a grasp on the character), it's about fitting the conflict to match the protagonist and antagonist appropriately. The actual power levels, tragedy levels, intelligence levels, etc, none of that matters and no writer should have to hold themselves to that, comics or movie adaptation.

You see there is a better way to do this. When he is losing to regular people, it makes you question how he would fare against super powered people on Cap's level.

He constantly has to call on allies to help him beat regular humans. Wouldn't have a problem if they had some semblance of super powers.

The movie makes sense why he would lose to Kilmonger. Kilmonger specifically trained his entire life for that day and T'Challa was fully depowered so they were on even ground. As regular humans since Kilmonger has been training that way his whole life of course he would beat him since he has far more experience fighting in human form than T'Challa. Then when both are super powered, T'Challa was far more experienced in his super powered state than Kilmonger, so him winning that way makes sense. Also he was more aware than Kilmonger about the Weaknesses in the suits have.

The comics explanation is he was holding his punches back. What a lame ass trope

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The Red Letter Media guys, for example, didn't pick up on about half the themes of the movie and are pretending to measure the film by the, supposedly, same standards as other Marvel movies and not really diving into what makes BP so good.
I made it less than 4 minutes into that before I had to peace out.

All I can say is that when I don't understand something, or even if I think I do understand something, I allow for the possibility that I am talking shit and need to listen to others. Especially when it comes to stuff like black cultural identity, something I can only see as an outsider. Red Letter Media has long since exposed that their area of expertise in criticism is highly, highly limited for basically this reason.

The movie makes sense why he would lose to Kilmonger. Kilmonger specifically trained his entire life for that day and T'Challa was fully depowered so they were on even ground. As regular humans since Kilmonger has been training that way his whole life of course he would beat him. Then when both are super powered, T'Challa has far more experienced in his super powered state than Kilmonger, so him winning that way makes sense. Also he was more aware than Kilmonger about the Weaknesses in the suits have.

This makes sense in a mechanical sense, as in that it appeals to a sense of physics, and that's not nothing...but it's also not the higher echelon of what makes good storytelling.

Here is my alternate take:

Fight 1: When T'Challa fought M'Baku, he was losing until his mother shouted at him "Remember who you are!", at which point he does and he gets a second wind and he beats back M'Baku. The scene demonstrates that T'Challa draws his strength from his self identity, not just of being a strong dude, but a noble one. A King. Hence, he not only beats M'Baku, he graciously reminds M'Baku of his duties to his people, giving him the impetus to yield.

Fight 2: Now he's fighting against Killmonger and who is T'Challa now? He just discovered the crimes of his father, and he is completely unsure how to handle the return of his cousin. During the conversation before this, he kept falling back on "Wakandan Traditions" excuses, which he no longer feels certain about knowing how they have harmed the world around them. By damaging T'Challa's image of his father, who T'Challa has said he wants to be like, that means now T'Challa's own identity is uncertain. T'Challa cannot be like his father, but he doesn't know what else to do. Killmonger on the other hand is certain of exactly what he wants. So he wins.

Fight 3: T'Challa has visited his father once again and resolved to not be like him and his ancestors anymore. He has not only revived, but he already implements changes with M'Baku, saying he will not be like his forefathers. He knows exactly waht kind of king he wants to be now. In contrast, Killmonger I think is somewhat shaken by his vision of the Ancestral plane. His father expressed not pride, but regret and disappointment. It's subtle, but Killmonger acts more emotional than he did leading up to the moment he ascended.

Look, I don't deny that the mechanics of a universe have to make sense, and "Killmonger not being used to Panther powers" is a good way to explain that away. But what stories are ultimately is coded meanings, so I would argue tracking why they win or loss by who they think of themselves as people is a more poignant metric. Plus this follows the 3 act structure rather smoothly, going from Establishing the Rules (Self idenity determines strength) to Darkest Hour (T'Challa losing his identity) to Growth and Winning the Day (T'Challa changes his self identity)

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Two pages of arguing whether or not "What Are Those" worked as a joke.

I love the effect this movie has on people. :)

Because the delivery doesn't require you to know. It works amazing either way

Someone replied to my post where I stated that Shuri had the best lines with "she also has the worst line." I didn't even think "what are those" was bad at all.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't bad, it was great.

Yeah, I liked it. Shuri had no bad lines. And I loved when she raised her hand at the ritual fight just to ask if they could hurry up and finish. I almost thought she did want to fight just to show off that she could take down her big bro, but nah, she was just messing around.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I liked it. Shuri had no bad lines. And I loved when she raised her hand at the ritual fight just to ask if they could hurry up and finish. I almost thought she did want to fight just to show off that she could take down her big bro, but nah, she was just messing around.

Breh, if that happened, Shuri fans would become even more hardcore lol

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I was this excited after watching a movie. I am still coming down from the high of that movie.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of the tech in this movie was just so stupidly insane, especially when at the end they will share this shit.

Hit by an AR in the spine, DW you will be fine now!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the tech in this movie was just so stupidly insane, especially when at the end they will share this shit.

Wakanda tech vs Stark tech, thoughts? Shuri can cure Rhodey, Stark just helps him relearn how to walk, so Wakanda wins. But near infinite clean energy from Stark reactor is super impressive too.

Obviously Hammer tech is lowest tier.

Nov 30, 2017

All I can say is that when I don't understand something, or even if I think I do understand something, I allow for the possibility that I am talking shit and need to listen to others. Especially when it comes to stuff like black cultural identity, something I can only see as an outsider. Red Letter Media has long since exposed that their area of expertise in criticism is highly, highly limited for basically this reason.

This makes sense in a mechanical sense, as in that it appeals to a sense of physics, and that's not nothing...but it's also not the higher echelon of what makes good storytelling.

Fight 1: When T'Challa fought M'Baku, he was losing until his mother shouted at him "Remember who you are!", at which point he does and he gets a second wind and he beats back M'Baku. The scene demonstrates that T'Challa draws his strength from his self identity, not just of being a strong dude, but a noble one. A King. Hence, he not only beats M'Baku, he graciously reminds M'Baku of his duties to his people, giving him the impetus to yield.

Fight 2: Now he's fighting against Killmonger and who is T'Challa now? He just discovered the crimes of his father, and he is completely unsure how to handle the return of his cousin. During the conversation before this, he kept falling back on "Wakandan Traditions" excuses, which he no longer feels certain about knowing how they have harmed the world around them. By damaging T'Challa's image of his father, who T'Challa has said he wants to be like, that means now T'Challa's own identity is uncertain. T'Challa cannot be like his father, but he doesn't know what else to do. Killmonger on the other hand is certain of exactly what he wants. So he wins.

Fight 3: T'Challa has visited his father once again and resolved to not be like him and his ancestors anymore. He has not only revived, but he already implements changes with M'Baku, saying he will not be like his forefathers. He knows exactly waht kind of king he wants to be now. In contrast, Killmonger I think is somewhat shaken by his vision of the Ancestral plane. His father expressed not pride, but regret and disappointment. It's subtle, but Killmonger acts more emotional than he did leading up to the moment he ascended.

Look, I don't deny that the mechanics of a universe have to make sense, and "Killmonger not being used to Panther powers" is a good way to explain that away. But what stories are ultimately is coded meanings, so I would argue tracking why they win or loss by who they think of themselves as people is a more poignant metric. Plus this follows the 3 act structure rather smoothly, going from Establishing the Rules (Self idenity determines strength) to Darkest Hour (T'Challa losing his identity) to Growth and Winning the Day (T'Challa changes his self identity)

Oh don't get me wrong, there was the in depth reason as well but I didn't feel like typing it all out so I just used a surface level interpretation.

This movie just has so many layers to it. Love it.

Nov 30, 2017
Wakanda tech vs Stark tech, thoughts? Shuri can cure Rhodey, Stark just helps him relearn how to walk, so Wakanda wins. But near infinite clean energy from Stark reactor is super impressive too.

Obviously Hammer tech is lowest tier.

Stark's bleeding edge armour is obviously inspired by Wakandan tech.

His suit materializes from his chest piece like T'Challa's does from his necklace. The first indication of Wakanda sharing its tech with the outside world.

In this case keeping the most advanced stuff within the Avengers themselves.

The sequel to BP will most likely deal with Citizen unrest to this and the invasion of Wakanda by outside forces. Now that T'Challa has opened its borders and made the world aware they exist.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the RLM review trash, it reminded when people talk a movie and somehow managed not to get large chunks of it.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel got 5 years to make an Ironheart/Shuri movie happen or we riot.

Gotta see that black girl magic on the big screen.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017

Just wanted to say that I really liked this post and the thought that went into it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm curious on how intelligent T'Challa is in the MCU because they really didn't capitalize it in the film.
he is top 5.

and maybe in the next movie.

it would have been effective if they had shown him working on inventions with his sister. or even just asking how the refit of "my ship designs" were going. One liners that are an easy way to establish his sister isn't the only super-genius in the tech room.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious on how intelligent T'Challa is in the MCU because they really didn't capitalize it in the film.

That surprised me in this movie. I don't know a lot about the character, but I always see him mentioned as one of Marvel's great minds. That didn't really show in this movie, or in Civil War. I saw him on par with someone like Captain America where one of his big strengths is leadership.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that they're trying to portray T'Challa as a realistic person who has to work up to the ultimate mastermind state where he is in the comics. It wouldn't really be believable to have a character who's that tactically intelligent in his very first movie.

It helps that, especially in Civil War, the dude was absolutely emotionally compromised and blinded by rage. This film is a good way of setting a baseline for him to grow off of in future films.

There wasn't a lot of time to delve into T'Challa in general because of how fast things happened so soon after Civil War. To be honest though, he felt more like comic T'Challa in Civil War than here: one step ahead of everyone else and taking zero shit. Even if he was enraged until the end.

Of course one can see him being shaken by the reality of his father's death setting in and the fact that all hell breaks loose the day after his ascension. But I do hope the vibe he had going in Civil War returns quickly.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just saw the movie for a 3rd and most likely final time. Everytime I leave I like M'Baku and the Jabari a lot more. "Witness the might of the Jabari.... first hand", I legit smiled and geeked at that line. And when they first appear out the cave, they just looked menacing but really cool.

Really a great movie. The finale battle was really the low point. I was fine with the war going on between the Dora Milaje and the border tribe but Killmonger and T'Challa just didn't look great. The action could've been more grounded.

Oct 31, 2017
Okoye said Wakanda survived by only fighting when absolutely necessary. Is it not absolutely necessary to fight when an alien threat with gigantic ass flying beasts are destroying a city or when an AI robot with an AI robot army made of vibranium (of all things) are lifting an entire country?

I hope they explain this in the storyline somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Okoye said Wakanda survived by only fighting when absolutely necessary. Is it not absolutely necessary to fight when an alien threat with gigantic ass flying beasts are destroying a city or when an AI robot with an AI robot army made of vibranium (of all things) are lifting an entire country?

Neither of those things were a threat to Wakanda. Wakanda didn't care what happened outside its borders. If the Chitauri or Ultron attempted to invade Wakanda, they'd be dealt with accordingly.

Granted, they likely would have stepped in to stop Ultron from destroying all life on earth with his meteor city, but that whole event happened within the events of like less than 24 hours.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

Why would they care about shenanigans going down half the world away? Once the Chitauri or Ultron decided to dip their toes in Wakandan territory, then they'd step up. Until then, their general policy on how to respond to global crisis is basically this:

1bv930.jpg

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I get the feeling that they're trying to portray T'Challa as a realistic person who has to work up to the ultimate mastermind state where he is in the comics. It wouldn't really be believable to have a character who's that tactically intelligent in his very first movie.

It helps that, especially in Civil War, the dude was absolutely emotionally compromised and blinded by rage. This film is a good way of setting a baseline for him to grow off of in future films.
Or Coogler just has no interest in writing a character that's a master martial artist, strategist, scientist and inventor.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the plot of most MCU movies happen in like, 24 hours tops. By the time Wakanda would have determined the best tactical course of action and begun to mobilize troops, the threat would already be over.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it tonight. Basically enjoyed it. Sounds and costuming were dope, first MCU villain in ages who was interesting, killer cast.

But goddamn. Some of the CGI here was just atrocious. Uncanny fight scenes, uncanny crowds. But the worst was the BP v Killmonger (lol that name) climax. These two dudes having the big ole heart-to-heart in the *greenest screen* I ever saw. Lord. Build a couple sets and hire like three stunt fight performers.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
he is top 5.

and maybe in the next movie.

it would have been effective if they had shown him working on inventions with his sister. or even just asking how the refit of "my ship designs" were going. One liners that are an easy way to establish his sister isn't the only super-genius in the tech room.

I thought he had line about him designing a previous panther suit ?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Yeah I just wish the tech was animated better though. The flying craft were fine. But the panther suits enveloping characters never looked good. I hate the scene where T'Chall leaps backwards onto the car in S Korea, he feels weightless. I'd rather have the mechanical Iron Man style slotting into place animation.

Anyway, just another thing to improve on for the sequel, along with action scenes. I'm sure they'll take these mild criticisms to heart and make a sequel even better than the first movie. (good luck creating a better villain though!)

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Finally saw the movie tonight. Killmonger was probably the best villain they've had in that he wasn't really a bad guy. He and his father made a good point.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the first marvel movie i genuinely enjoyed throughout. Only weakness was the villain — too much time spent on klau who i just thought was annoying, and killmonger was great but felt under-utilized. Shuri was great, too.
This is exactly my feels about the movie too. Should have had more material on Killmonger, and his development.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The myth, the meme, the legend for all you uncultured folk

https://youtu.be/HNtz05bhI1k
Edit:whoops double post.

That was a meme? In Germany we laughed our asses off because we Germans like to wear socks and sandals and her reaction was the same as ours here when someone does this...he didn't wear any socks, but the sandals themselves were funny. Seems like it works in different ways.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Finally saw the movie.
Liked it, but felt the villain was a bit.... undercooked, coming off more like a random foreign usurper of the Crown, rather than 'The Grand Cousin of the King'. His death as a result, lost a lot of weight.
A couple more scenes dealing with him could've done wonders.

That said, is M'Baku supposed to be an anti-hero in this version of the story?