• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is the case though according to Rotten Tomatoes, at least at the moment. Black Panther currently holds the #1 spot on the top 100 movies of all time list, but it also holds the #1 spot in the top 100 action & adventure movies list.

If you look at either of these lists, you might notice that while Black Panther holds a lofty 97% rating, others below it hold higher ratings, with some even holding scores of 100%. Still, Black Panther comes out on top, and that is thanks to how Rotten Tomatoes defines their Adjusted Score. The Adjusted Score uses a specific formula that weighs in things like how many reviews a movie has. That formula is the reason why Black Panther, which has a 97% and 306 reviews comes out on top of something like Inside out, which has a higher 98% and 331 reviews.

Black Panther sits ahead of films like The Wizard of Oz, Get Out, Moonlight, and The Godfather on the all-time list, while it beats out films like Mad Max: Fury Road, Dunkirk, and Logan in the action and adventure category.

rotten-tomatoes-black-panther-ranking-1085465.jpeg

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/20/black-panther-ranked-best-movie-all-time-rotten-tomatoes/

Hahahahahahahaha! Suck it, Nazis.

Rank me as the best movie of all time if old

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I guess it's just how RT wants to do things, but I'll never understand placing movies that have just released on 'all-time best' lists. Give it some time, damn.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no. It's a great movie but it is not deserving of that title. This is simply a case of people putting recent movies as being some of the "greatest" of all time. It's simply a reflection of time, people are biased to more recent movies as being the greatest since they are more invested in them because of the internet, marketing and hype.

OTZhOWQ3NDQ5NiMvU2lib3BCWk55TDVRTVBaamZDankzZTRfRjdRPS8xMHgwOjEwNTl4NTk5L2ZpdC1pbi83NjB4MC9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApOm5vX3Vwc2NhbGUoKTpmb3JtYXQoanBlZykvaHR0cDovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy94eGVyeGxwdHU1b3pndGRnbnZqYnF2bXJlcjZ1MHJhdWpkNm91YWdxcGt3em5ybGFyZTZwZTlpbHk0MnJrbzY3LmpwZw.jpg

Claude Kenni

Oct 25, 2017
Formula is poorly explained talking about number of reviews when a movie with less reviews and a movie with more are both below it with a higher percentage. It must weigh certain reviews differently.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movie is great. Can't even be mad at this.

Their formula still makes little sense to me.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Glad this movie is getting praise.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tight, can't wait to see it when it's finally released next week in Japan

Yeah, no. It's a great movie but it is not deserving of that mantle. This is simply a case of people putting recent movies as being some of the "greatest" of all time. It's somply a reflection of time, people are biased to more recent movies as being the greatest.

OTZhOWQ3NDQ5NiMvU2lib3BCWk55TDVRTVBaamZDankzZTRfRjdRPS8xMHgwOjEwNTl4NTk5L2ZpdC1pbi83NjB4MC9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApOm5vX3Vwc2NhbGUoKTpmb3JtYXQoanBlZykvaHR0cDovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy94eGVyeGxwdHU1b3pndGRnbnZqYnF2bXJlcjZ1MHJhdWpkNm91YWdxcGt3em5ybGFyZTZwZTlpbHk0MnJrbzY3LmpwZw.jpg

lol there's always one

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the movie but come on, there's no need to be hyperbolic.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Tight, can't wait to see it when it's finally released next week in Japan

lol there's always one
You think a movie you have never seen is actually the best movie of all time? You literally proved my point, hypebeast.

Want to bet that Black Panther doesn't win the Oscar for best picture?

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Lol... no.

That formula is the reason why Black Panther, which has a 97% and 306 reviews comes out on top of something like Inside out, which has a higher 98% and 331 reviews.

So Inside Out has more reviews and still puts a higher RT score... but isn't in the top 10? Not sure I understand the formula here...

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think a movie you have never seen is actually the best movie of all time? You literally proved my point, hypebeast.

Want to bet that Black Panther doesn't win the Oscar for best picture?

Obviously it's not the best fucking movie of all time, but your pedantry and desire to rain on the parade are tired b

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks ago folks were still trying so hard to shit on this movie.

Now they've shifted to "no way Captain Marvel is successful, that ship sailed with Wonder Woman."

They never learn.

Claude Kenni

Oct 25, 2017
They're pretty overt about doing that with their "top critic" label on specific reviews.
However, the website says "Each critic from our discrete list gets one vote, weighted equally." With that being true the rankings make no sense to me whatsoever considering there's no consistency of more/less reviews being weighted higher.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I can't believe the MCU now objectively shits all over every Nolan movie ever made. Wild.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Lol... no.

So Inside Out has more reviews and still puts a higher RT score... but isn't in the top 10? Not sure I understand the formula here...
They, like Metacritic, have an internal "ranking" of reviewers.

Reviews from Salon . com command more attention than bob-hausers-movie-shack . com

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, no. It's a great movie but it is not deserving of that title. This is simply a case of people putting recent movies as being some of the "greatest" of all time. It's simply a reflection of time, people are biased to more recent movies as being the greatest since they are more invested in them because of the internet, marketing and hype.

Lol, 90s nostalgia from millennials in graph form.

Five more years and the noughts bar will be taller.

In regards to this move by RT, come on... how is it that Mad Max: Fury Road has 97% with even more reviews taken into account and it's way lower than Black Panther?

Do average scores not count?

Last edited:

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Citizen Kane

2001: A Space Oddyssey

The Shawshank Redemption

Apocalypse Now

Marvel's Black Panther

Illest1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got attacked in another thread for questioning someone calling it a major historical event.

A major historical event.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Using RT to rank the best movies of all time is lol-worthy

But if this makes the racists mad then I'm all for it

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I TAKE IT BACK, Call me By Your Name is 4th. Now we're talking!!

Damn, I can't believe the MCU now objectively shits all over every Nolan movie ever made. Wild.

Dunkirk is 26th on this list...

Also for those wondering the next comic book movie on the list is Wonder Woman at 34.