• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best Song Oscar Nominee "All The Stars" by Kendrick Lamar and SZA will be the only one of five that will not be performed during the event.

Despite the Academy's efforts to secure Kendrick Lamar and SZA for a performance of the Oscar-nominated song "All the Stars" from "Black Panther" on the upcoming Oscars telecast, the duo will not be a part of the show, Variety has learned. The reason, according to a source close to the situation, is logistics and timing. Lamar was also a no-show at the Grammys this year.

The song will not be performed by another act, an Academy source confirmed.

All four of the other nominated songs will be performed: "When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings" from "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" (Gillian Welch and David Rowlings), "The Place Where Lost Things Go" from "Mary Poppins Returns" (Bette Midler and Marc Shaiman), "I'll Fight" from "RBG" (Jennifer Hudson) and "Shallow" from "A Star Is Born" (Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper).

Hall of Fame rockers Queen, subject of best picture nominee "Bohemian Rhapsody," will also perform on the telecast.

A previous plan to showcase only "All the Stars" and "Shallow" was aborted in the face of backlash and nominee solidarity, following a Variety report about those plans.

https://variety.com/2019/film/award...form-black-panther-song-exclusive-1203144572/

Pretty disappointed since I really love All The Stars.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's a shame, but it sounds like a genuine logistics issue rather than them cutting it for time. And better to not do it at all than have another act perform it without the creators' wishes.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
SZA and Kendrick aren't going, so it makes sense.

Didn't her vocal cords get fucked up or something?

She pulled out of last year's Championship Tours citing vocal damage, and even feared permanent career ending damage, but announced shortly after the tour was over that she would make a full recovery.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this will have to remain the best Oscar show performance

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only song I've heard from Kendrick Lamar, but was listening to it on loop a lot last summer. I like it a lot.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
man I missed that song while they were in tour in Tampa because Szas vocal cords.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's disappointing. Easily the best song on the entire set.

Ah well. At least we'll get Buster Scruggs.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I recognize that, I'm just saying with the previous news of them cutting categories, I think it would be better to get rid of the musical performances.

They tried that (a few weeks ago a plan leaked that only All The Stars and Shallow would be performed live to cut time). There was a big backlash against it and they announced that all the songs would be performed on stage.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Went to the TDE concert last Spring and didnt realize how fortunate I was that SZA couldnt perform due to illness. Yikes!

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
"Unfortunately "All the Stars" won't be played tonight due to scheduling conflicts, but we found a suitable replacement. Everybody, give it up for SMASH MOUTH!"

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Song category this year is definitely weaker than last time, but thank goodness they at least tried to get all of them in. Not having all of them was a freaking disgrace.

They should just cut a couple of the 70 billion "Movies are Awesome" montages.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Kendrick isn't trying to do many performances this year? Probably just over it after like 2 straight years of tours and performances.

Shallow is by far the best and also is in the best moment of its film :]
He's getting so much money for Rock in Rio Argentina/Brazil he pretty much doesn't need to do anything else the whole year.