• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oh dear... did everyone look at that bit of artwork and the post and go "yeah, absolutely no issues putting that out there"

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Our Blacks"...
jayzd.gif

The tweet certainly could use a bit of rewording.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
the phrasing "our blacks" is certainly not ideal...
i highly doubt there's any kind of malicious intent behind this tho

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a support of "Blacks in Gaming" where they also support the panel

Team Xbox was proud to once again host the annual Blacks in Gaming Green Room during Game Developers Conference 2018. More than 200 game developers and industry professionals attended for an evening of strengthening connections within the community of black game creators and highlighting & celebrating their successes.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/gaming-for-everyone/articles/Blacks-in-Gaming-at-GDC-2018

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/03/22/gdc-2019-the-blacks-in-gaming-green-room/

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
let's see where do we begin....
1. Blacks at Xbox
2. "our Blacks"
3. black "pound" fists controller

what idiot gave the green light on this?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the wording is awkward, sounds like they're trying to fit it with their other '@Xbox' terminology

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
"Blacks at Xbox" seems to be the official name of the community within Microsoft. If so, and the black members of said community have not changed the name and choose to embrace it instead, what's the problem? Seems bad to think the word "blacks" is automatically bad. It is like when I tell people, even on her Jews, that I am a Jew. I don't like the term Jewish person, I AM a Jew and no one gets to tell me otherwise because being a Jew is not a bad thing. A community of Jews is not a bad thing to say, so why should a community of black People, or blacks in this case, be regardless of how said community labels itself?

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Are they asking for Black opinions or are they asking for 'yt people who are offended on behalf of Black people' opinions?

Because I'm guessing it's the latter

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It being plural definitely makes it awkward.

I also assume the hands on the controller are fist bumping and not what they look like they're pulling apart.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Saying that someone (singular) is Black, sure
"Blacks" instead of "black people", though?
But doesn't "blacks" plural have a racist connotation?

A style guide from the National Association of Black Journalists says, "In news copy, aim to use black as an adjective, not a noun. Also, when describing a group, use black people instead of just blacks. In headlines, blacks, however, is acceptable."

At the [New York] Times, "We don't have a guideline one way or the other on noun versus adjective," spokeswoman Eileen Murphy told Journal-isms.... At the Associated Press, "The AP Stylebook entries on 'African-American' and 'black' permit noun usages of black," spokesman Jack Stokes said. "The individual's preference is always a factor."

https://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/04/an-african-american-or-a-black-160773

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
This is about them hosting 'Blacks in Gaming' at GDC and POC are clearly involved. I don't blame anyone for thinking it's sus, though.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like its a thing that exists already? They are just tweeting about an existing community.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Oh HELL no.

Really poor phrasing right there. Definitely unintentional, but goddamn. Should've consulted at least one black person before sticking with that title.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
You guys sure you want to raise backlash against an obviously pro-diversity event because of not-great wording?

Status
Not open for further replies.