• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
It has less to do with "outrage culture" (and you can insert a bunch of other similar alt-right terminology here this post is loaded with) and more that some black people rightfully do have a bit of self respect and are familiar with the negative connotation the term "blacks" have. I have rarely actually heard "blacks" (as opposed to "black people", etc...) used outside of a negative context.

Just because some black people are OK with it does not mean that they have the right to speak for everyone. A concept a lot of people (presumably black) seem to not comprehend.

They're of course fine to call themselves whatever they want to call themselves, doesn't mean the name can't be critiqued in anyway. It is also a bit presumptuous to assume everyone part of the group is actually OK with the name of the group.
We say "Black People,Black folk, Niggas, African American,and sometimes even Blacks" you can't tell us what the hell to call ourselves. Now if this was "Ni**rs at Xbox I'd be like wtf is up with this name. But not only did a black person make the name but the group is called blacks at Xbox! That phrasing alone cleans it up!

The ammout of Arrogance in this thread is disgusting how dare any of you in this thread tell another group of people what to call themselves especially when they did it in a non offense way and they fit in this group.

Oct 26, 2018
We say "Black People,Black folk, Niggas, African American,and sometimes even Blacks" you can't tell us what the hell to call ourselves. Now if this was "Ni**rs at Xbox I'd be like wtf is up with this name. But not only did a black person make the name but the group is called blacks at Xbox! That phrasing alone cleans it up!

The ammout of Arrogance in this thread is disgusting how dare any of you in this thread tell another group of people what to call themselves especially when they did it in a non offense way and they fit in this group.
Fashizzle

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
IMO, if the group who came up with the name is black, then it's really up to black people as a whole to decide whether or not the usage is offensive, and everyone else should stay out of it. I have a friend who is black and takes offense at the N word ending with "a" and complains to me about it especially when other black people say it to him. Since I am not black, I just keep my mouth shut whenever he mentions it.
Yeah I have atleast tried to refrain from saying that the name is fine, as it's not me it could offend or hurt to begin with. Or I guess I could be offended, there were plenty of comments on that Twitter thread from people who weren't black how the group itself is racist for being only for black folk. Of course that's ridiculous though, I feel I can safely comment on that. But I do feel that Microsoft and especially the group itself is getting dragged bit too hard. The name for the group isn't really unique, there's hundreds of similarly named groups and organizations out there (with similar goals and efforts). Some old and some new, that it's not deemed okay for black folks to call themselves as blacks, isn't some self-evident and universal truth. That said, if an invidual doesn't want to be referred as blacks, that is of course absolutely fair and their wish should be respected. Same with the term African-American, as has been brought up.

And like Donyea Cooley-White said, while he doesn't have issues with name himself, he understands how people not familiar with group could take it in the wrong way. I'd personally emphasize the "take it in the wrong way". I feel people should also be capable of admitting, "hey I didn't know the context for it, my bad. Seems like a fine organization." When things are cleared up or they look more into it, sometimes it could be cool to admit that someone didn't have all the necessary information or that they reacted rather hastily. Take responsibility of your own words and actions, rather than keep blaming others for it. And this I mean generally, not just on this instance. I feel many people in their initial condemnation of the name forgot that black people at Microsoft, Xbox or wherever can have agency of their own too. They're not just controlled and labeled by white higher ups or something.

Last edited:

Unidentified

Nov 11, 2017

Sure, they can call themselves whatever they want.

As for this: "You can't tell us what the hell to call ourselves." My point is ultimately this, Why not? People talk about names all names/groups all the time. I don't see why it should be any different in this case.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I suppose I am coming from the perspective where I think it is perfectly OK to criticize/discuss anything, including the name of a group. No less-so in this case where it is a outward facing group (posted about by an account with 13+ million followers.)

My point is less about people agreeing/disagreeing with how the term is used (though I have an opinion on that as I posted), but more about people using this logic: "I am black, I am OK with it, so everyone else must be OK with it." Regardless of whether or not your black, I don't see the problem with having an issue with the name of the group.

I mean you said some black people have a bit of self respect and understand the connotations of the term. To me that says you actually aren't okay with some of us being okay with the group name. That's a loaded sentence and it doesn't help your argument.

I'm saying respect the choice the group made. I'm not saying for anyone to like it or dislike it. I'm not saying it can't be criticized. I'm saying we didn't pick it. We don't know why the picked it, just that they did. And we owe it to them to respect that decision as we have no right to tell people what to call themselves. I've said in this thread, I don't like the term African-American. I prefer Black, however if you or anyone else wants to call themselves African-American then by all means. It's not my place or anyone's place to tell you what to call yourself or how you should identify.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England

I generally don't think it is my place to comment on these types of subjects being a white dude, but I agree with you entirely.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
What identity though? I'm the descendant of former slaves, and I've never felt African American a day in my life. Africa is a continent. What type of origin or history does that imply? To me it doesn't have any meaning aside from window dressing. Jamaican-American, Haitian-American, Nigerian-American,I understand that. That is literally exactly where you come from, and people like that can trace it directly back some times. The best I can do is some internet genealogy that says where I maybe came from, but I'll never find family and what not from there. African American is an insulting response to the stolen history and lineage, and comes off to me as a pathetic attempt to be included in the melting pot that America is supposed to be while at the same time trying to brush the slave aspect aside. It presents the illusion of a choice of being a part of this country like a immigrant when it isn't true. Black is a better term for me.

African-American is an attempt at a politically correct label, that more often than not is used to incorrectly label someone.

Unidentified

Nov 11, 2017
I mean you said some black people have a bit of self respect and understand the connotations of the term. To me that says you actually aren't okay with some of us being okay with the group name. That's a loaded sentence and it doesn't help your argument.

I'm saying respect the choice the group made. I'm not saying for anyone to like it or dislike it. I'm not saying it can't be criticized. I'm saying we didn't pick it. We don't know why the picked it, just that they did. And we owe it to them to respect that decision as we have no right to tell people what to call themselves. I've said in this thread, I don't like the term African-American. I prefer Black, however if you or anyone else wants to call themselves African-American then by all means. It's not my place or anyone's place to tell you what to call yourself or how you should identify.
My reasoning there is that the term "blacks" tends to have a negative connotation (at least from my perspective - some people here obviously see differently). Some people (of all groups) are perfectly OK with calling themselves terms with a negative connotation, while others of the same group aren't.

When I posted about "some people not understanding", it does not have anything to do with that. That was more about my primary point about people not understanding that not everyone has to have the same tolerance for that type of stuff as they do. I disagree with shutting down the conversation and anyone not tolerant with that term (even if they're not black) with "I'm part of that group and therefore the only authority."

data

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't "Black Men and Women of Xbox" not sound way better and far more professional?

I'm not mad or anything, it's just that Our Blacks at Xbox sounds like an idiot came up with the name.

What's with the comical picture? Why do we always get some extra over the top shit?

Seems like a good initiative though.
No because that would be disingenious to people who choose not to identify as either of those genders. Also you're misreading it as Our with a capital O instead of with a lower case.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My reasoning there is that the term "blacks" tends to have a negative connotation (at least from my perspective - some people here obviously see differently). Some people (of all groups) are perfectly OK with calling themselves terms with a negative connotation, while others of the same group aren't.

When I posted about "some people not understanding", it does not have anything to do with that. That was more about my primary point about people not understanding that not everyone has to have the same tolerance for that type of stuff as they do. I disagree with shutting down the conversation and anyone not tolerant with that term (even if they're not black) with "I'm part of that group and therefore the only authority."
At what point is it OK for you to shame people for how they choose to self-identify? That's really the question here, because that's what you are doing.

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
No, because there's no difference. Just because I'm black I can't decide that fucking Mandingo is ok and acceptable and expect everyone else to be like "Yup, no problemo, have fun like your ancestors did when they were called that but it's ok for you bring it back since your just as black as they were so have fun"... no... just... no. Also, those "self identifying *blacks" didn't come up with a name for themselves, they decided to use a label that was used to degrade an bring down black people and I bet they thought to themselves that they were geniuses, coming up with this brand new label for African Americans... foh. I don't think the word nigga isn't really a swear but if I said that around my grandma or any other older black person they'd have a fit and tell me otherwise, but the rest of my friends the same age as me don't see it that way... but that doesn't stop my grandma and othe older people from being right because it is... it's a swear... they were introduced to it first in their generations... as a swear, because that's what it is. There's no opinion on it, how is that so hard to comprehend. Xbox was tone deaf asf, nothing more nothing less. It's not rocket science. I'm not even sure where this white marketing shit is coming from, I don't care if they person that signed off on the tweet was goddamn oceanic blue, it's still tone deaf asf.
Uhm "coming up with this brand new label for African Americans"?
Blacks is not a label for African Americans. I'll let Dave take over on this one for me:

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
What identity though? I'm the descendant of former slaves, and I've never felt African American a day in my life. Africa is a continent. What type of origin or history does that imply? To me it doesn't have any meaning aside from window dressing. Jamaican-American, Haitian-American, Nigerian-American,I understand that. That is literally exactly where you come from, and people like that can trace it directly back some times. The best I can do is some internet genealogy that says where I maybe came from, but I'll never find family and what not from there. African American is an insulting response to the stolen history and lineage, and comes off to me as a pathetic attempt to be included in the melting pot that America is supposed to be while at the same time trying to brush the slave aspect aside. It presents the illusion of a choice of being a part of this country like a immigrant when it isn't true. Black is a better term for me.

Well that's fine for you then.. For me African American has little to do with my physical place origin and more to do with my individual ancestry. I am a descendent of African slaves who themselves were (more than likely) from a multitude of West African counties and tribes. There is a long unbroken line of people who had to survive hardships in order me to be born and here today. All I know of them is that they strong enough to make it from Africa, through slavery, and they live on through me and my son. The "African" in African-American is more that just a reference to continent too me. It is a reference to a people whos names and identities are forever lost in to time. I am of those people. I'm more than just black...

The irony is that American blacks who descend from African slave today are derived from a creole of Western and Central Africa and we, more than likely, have more continental African genetic diversity than Africans who live there today (sans Liberians). We could be, genetically speaking, more African than the Africans who live there today.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Uhm "coming up with this brand new label for African Americans"?
Blacks is not a label for African Americans. I'll let Dave take over on this one for me:

I don't know how you can manage the mental fortitude to completely and utterly miss and ignore my points... like out of all that I typed up, that's what you took away from it... a quote from me that I quoted from you that you explained... bruh. I was being beyond sarcastic, like, beyond it. It's painfully obvious. And it is a label, I didn't create it, it's not some new thing. I wouldn't call the n word with the hard R an acceptable label but that's what it was, a label. Blacks isn't talking about an individual, it's a group of people, therefore, a label.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
No, because there's no difference. Just because I'm black I can't decide that fucking Mandingo is ok and acceptable and expect everyone else to be like "Yup, no problemo, have fun like your ancestors did when they were called that but it's ok for you bring it back since your just as black as they were so have fun"... no... just... no. Also, those "self identifying *blacks" didn't come up with a name for themselves, they decided to use a label that was used to degrade an bring down black people and I bet they thought to themselves that they were geniuses, coming up with this brand new label for African Americans... foh. I don't think the word nigga isn't really a swear but if I said that around my grandma or any other older black person they'd have a fit and tell me otherwise, but the rest of my friends the same age as me don't see it that way... but that doesn't stop my grandma and othe older people from being right because it is... it's a swear... they were introduced to it first in their generations... as a swear, because that's what it is. There's no opinion on it, how is that so hard to comprehend. Xbox was tone deaf asf, nothing more nothing less. It's not rocket science. I'm not even sure where this white marketing shit is coming from, I don't care if they person that signed off on the tweet was goddamn oceanic blue, it's still tone deaf asf.

LOL! Damn, well I went a HBCU, a Historically BLACK College/University. We have an American Association of BLACKS in Energy for people in my profession. It's not that deep... Besides, I'd be more pissed at a black person calling me a "n**ga" than a white person calling me black any day..

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I don't know how you can manage the mental fortitude to completely and utterly miss and ignore my points... like out of all that I typed up, that's what you took away from it... a quote from me that I quoted from you that you explained... bruh. I was being beyond sarcastic, like, beyond it. It's painfully obvious. And it is a label, I didn't create it, it's not some new thing. I wouldn't call the n word with the hard R an acceptable label but that's what it was, a label. Blacks isn't talking about an individual, it's a group of people, therefore, a label.
My point was that Blacks as a label extends well beyond African Americanism.

You're essentially attempting to dictate how people should self identify and label based on your own perspective. You're angry about the terms misuse and I get that, but it's still dumb AF.

Last edited:

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
There lots of groups who self identify as "blacks for......". "Gays for......" "women for......"

"African American" does not encompass all "black" people so calling their group "African Americans for...." would actually be excluding lots of the people they are trying to connect with.

You say "blacks" is a degrading word, well black, colored, "nonwhite" "negro" "boy" "dark" and plenty of other words have been used to denigrate people with extra melanin over the course of history.

Black people didn't come up with any of these words, but if they chose to use any of them in power and love, then who are you to decide which words are ok and which aren't?
Jesus Christ, how can you possibly read my comment and rebuttale with this none sense?? Like how, I'm honestly asking. Also what groups? I used African American as one of many other labels they could've easily said. Instead they said blacks, and here we are. And I can't stand that shit, (this is my opinion ofc) about the whole African American thing. If you identify as black and are a natural born American, you are African American and for god sake no that doesn't mean your 110% African American, could be part, could be some, could be whole with half being European, doesn't matter, it's there is all I'm saying. In the thread I seen somebody whos Jamaican completely disregard his heritage, doing the typical I'm mainly European, Spain, and everything else that didn't give him his skin tone and scrub out African. It's common knowledge that Afro Latino's (Dominicans mostly) and Jamaicans DO NOT associate with their African routes. Which is crazy because I'm relaity, african Americans are probably the most mixed out of all the known African descendants, and we have zero problem being called as such. That's why there's Afro Latino and Afro-Jamaican movements now, hell my ex gf leads the group in western New England state unervisty to bring awareness because for some odd reasons it's culturally acceptable to cast out the African part and mention everything else, it'
LOL! Damn, well I went a HBCU, a Historically BLACK College/University. We have an American Association of BLACKS in Energy for people in my profession. It's not that deep... Besides, I'd be more pissed at a black person calling me a "n**ga" than a white person calling me black any day..
It's not that deep, like I said they didn't put Mandingo or some crazier shit in it. It's just not in good taste, could've avoided a thread like this by saying literally anything else. And kudos I guess, you found the one. I still prefer BLM over that though lol, blacks just don't sound right. I've never really seen it used in the way everyone here says it's used. And lol word bro, I go to WSU, we're not diverse at all but the cool thing about us not being is that girls like my EX can start an black and Afro Latino diversity group (she's my ex idk wtf the name is now, I don't step foot on that side of school lol) and she's waaay smarter at this political stuff than I am and I'm sure she'd agree with me on this. It's not that it's inherently bad, it's jsut not used regularly because it's inheritly convuluted. Never been a go to thing, and I attend the black summits they hold at elms college (since flexing schools is cool here I guess, tbh only reason why I mention wsu and this, I have to go for extra credit tbh lol, not out of my free will), I'm not the most politically correct person but I at least know I'm not talking out my ass. This is the type of thing that'd be fine with others and not with the rest. It's just asking for controversy, if I was the Pr guy I'd try my best to avoid that, but I guess that's just me.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019

You're essentially attempting to dictate how people should self identify and label based on your own perspective. You're angry about the terms misuse and I get that, but it's still dumb AF.
What? What does any of this have to do with african Americans? It was an example, idky your hung up on that. I'm not dictating anything, say whatever tf y'all want, I believe in free speech. I'll always be here to call out how dumb it sounds and why that is. They might not offend the French black people but they'll damn sure get some words out of the one in America, or even in Africa itself. There's tons of labels for african descendants, good and bad, tasteful and un-tasteful. This falls under the later. If they want to use the later ones be my guest. That doesn't mean it's going to be ok just because YOU feel it's ok. It's called opinions bro. Also, I don't think this is that big of a deal. I just think it's weird this got ok'd, I'm looking at this more as a typo than a insult.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Niggas with attitude is all good, just don't call your rap group blacks with attitude, that's not cool with me.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
14 pages about how its phrased while ignoring the horrible stereotyping in that image... Image bothers me more than the wording... Which is also problematic. But cap and sweats.. Ghetto girl.. Pulling the white girl up... I dont see any image of an intelligent black person, etc.. Theres so much wrong with that image

There is no white girl. They are all black characters of various shades building each other up and helping each other go further.

Some of the posts in this thread smh.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
14 pages about how its phrased while ignoring the horrible stereotyping in that image... Image bothers me more than the wording... Which is also problematic. But cap and sweats.. Ghetto girl.. Pulling the white girl up... I dont see any image of an intelligent black person, etc.. Theres so much wrong with that image
that girl is black.....

failgubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Why the fuck is this even a thing when the group is obviously founded by and for black people and they choose that name because there is nothing wrong with "black"

y'all forgetting black history month etc????????.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yall sure are upset at what another group chooses to call themselves even though you claim to be an ally to that group

Next episode on ResetERA: "Black people should stop saying the n-word"

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
1- Where is the white girl?
2- What's an "intelligent person"? How can you judge that in a drawing? Do you need glasses an a book? lol

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I've never really seen it used in the way everyone here says it's used.
It is very common though.

http://www.nsbc.org/
NSBC stands for the "National Society of Blacks in Computing". In March of 2016, leaders from iAAMCS (the Institute for African-American Mentoring in Computing Sciences) decided to host a conference dedicated to creating a safe space for participants to receive mentorship, increase professional networks, enhance social capital, and plan their career trajectories. As a result, the National Society of Blacks in Computing Conference was formed.

https://cs.illinois.edu/news/studen...ve-founded-blacks-african-americans-computing
A new group, Blacks & African Americans in Computing (BAAC), has joined the roster of student-run organizations with ties to Illinois Computer Science.
BAAC plans to celebrate diversity that already exists in computer science and other technological fields, but also expose minority students not already engaged in tech to the possibilities open to them, said Joseph Sieger, who is president and co-founder of the new group.

https://nabcj.org/
Join our non-profit association that provides leaders dedicated to improving the administration of criminal justice. Created in 1974, the National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice (NABCJ) has made a goal of achieving equal justice for blacks and other minorities. Our members consist of criminal justice professionals such as those in law enforcement, institutional and community corrections, courts, social services, academia, religious and other community-based interests as well as criminal justice students and community leaders.

https://www.iabdassociation.org/
The International Association of Blacks in Dance. Our vision is for dance, by people of African ancestry or origin, to be revered, respected, and preserved in the consciousness and cultural institutions of all people.

https://www.blacksinhighered.org
AABHE will continue to be the voice for Blacks in higher education. While AABHE evolved from the AAHE Black Caucus, the direction has not changed course. AABHE is an individual and institutional member-based organization with sponsorships from colleges and universities throughout the country. It is also sponsored by corporations that support the mission and vision of AABHE.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/list-of-the-most-influential-blacks-in-technology/
BLACK ENTERPRISE is the premier business, investing, and wealth-building resource for African Americans. Since 1970, BLACK ENTERPRISE has provided essential business information and advice to professionals, corporate executives, entrepreneurs, and decision makers.

These are just a small sample of the black led organizations/groups that work for the benefit of black people and use the term blacks. Most in their name like Blacks at Xbox team. I thought that student organization was particularly interesting, as they have both black and African-American in their name. As people have been discussing about the distinction in this thread.
Yall sure are upset at what another group chooses to call themselves even though you claim to be an ally to that group

Next episode on ResetERA: "Black people should stop saying the n-word"
To be fair, it seems like it's been black people discussing these terms recently in the thread and what they identify with. But sure, there has been plenty of people who aren't black and initially jumped on this thread to ridicule the group and there were those who miserably failed at grammar.

Last edited:

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they can call themselves whatever they want.

As for this: "You can't tell us what the hell to call ourselves." My point is ultimately this, Why not? People talk about names all names/groups all the time. I don't see why it should be any different in this case.

You have to have the humility to understand that you are an advocate not a Champion... I offer my opinion all day every day but I know my opinion is not the only one nor does it have the most ethos. You gotta respect that the group in the mix has a perspective that you could never truly understand

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
I've been asking for that controller icon to be an actual controller since I first saw it; I'd buy four. I guess knowing a lot of people in Blacks at Microsoft I knew immediately what the tweet was about. I don't personally ever identify as African American...ever.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

"The Historically Black Universities in America are some of the most..."

"The American Association of Blacks in Energy published...."

"The Blacks at Xbox recently announced...."

Its just a boneheaded name man, you cant get around that.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It is very common though.

http://www.nsbc.org/
NSBC stands for the "National Society of Blacks in Computing". In March of 2016, leaders from iAAMCS (the Institute for African-American Mentoring in Computing Sciences) decided to host a conference dedicated to creating a safe space for participants to receive mentorship, increase professional networks, enhance social capital, and plan their career trajectories. As a result, the National Society of Blacks in Computing Conference was formed.

https://cs.illinois.edu/news/studen...ve-founded-blacks-african-americans-computing
A new group, Blacks & African Americans in Computing (BAAC), has joined the roster of student-run organizations with ties to Illinois Computer Science.
BAAC plans to celebrate diversity that already exists in computer science and other technological fields, but also expose minority students not already engaged in tech to the possibilities open to them, said Joseph Sieger, who is president and co-founder of the new group.

https://nabcj.org/
Join our non-profit association that provides leaders dedicated to improving the administration of criminal justice. Created in 1974, the National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice (NABCJ) has made a goal of achieving equal justice for blacks and other minorities. Our members consist of criminal justice professionals such as those in law enforcement, institutional and community corrections, courts, social services, academia, religious and other community-based interests as well as criminal justice students and community leaders.

https://www.iabdassociation.org/
The International Association of Blacks in Dance. Our vision is for dance, by people of African ancestry or origin, to be revered, respected, and preserved in the consciousness and cultural institutions of all people.

https://www.blacksinhighered.org
AABHE will continue to be the voice for Blacks in higher education. While AABHE evolved from the AAHE Black Caucus, the direction has not changed course. AABHE is an individual and institutional member-based organization with sponsorships from colleges and universities throughout the country. It is also sponsored by corporations that support the mission and vision of AABHE.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/list-of-the-most-influential-blacks-in-technology/
BLACK ENTERPRISE is the premier business, investing, and wealth-building resource for African Americans. Since 1970, BLACK ENTERPRISE has provided essential business information and advice to professionals, corporate executives, entrepreneurs, and decision makers.

These are just a small sample of the black led organizations/groups that work for the benefit of black people and use the term blacks. Most in their name like Blacks at Xbox team. I thought that student organization was particularly interesting, as they have both black and African-American in their name. As people have been discussing about the distinction in this thread.

To be fair, it seems like it's been black people discussing these terms recently in the thread and what they identify with. But sure, there has been plenty of people who aren't black and initially jumped on this thread to ridicule the group and there were those who miserably failed at grammar.

I was just about to make a post like this. The notion that the term "blacks" is offensive or insensitive is news to me.

Beyond self-identified groups like these, it's a common demographical term used in journals, government reports, and news articles. Not saying that this fact is what makes it right- just saying I would have thought I'd have come across these sentiments much earlier in life.

why 7 deadly diseases strike blacks most

Fact check: Did Kanye West help Trump double his approval rating among blacks?

I don't think it difficult to see how a persons context can makes the delivery of the word offensive. But I'm not personally offended and based on how prevalent it's use is in so many circles, I really don't think many other black people are.

Last edited:

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
It has less to do with "outrage culture" (and you can insert a bunch of other similar alt-right terminology here this post is loaded with) and more that some black people rightfully do have a bit of self respect and are familiar with the negative connotation the term "blacks" have. I have rarely actually heard "blacks" (as opposed to "black people", etc...) used outside of a negative context.

Just because some black people are OK with it does not mean that they have the right to speak for everyone. A concept a lot of people (presumably black) seem to not comprehend.

They're of course fine to call themselves whatever they want to call themselves, doesn't mean the name can't be critiqued in anyway. It is also a bit presumptuous to assume everyone part of the group is actually OK with the name of the group.
Wait, I have no self respect if I don't see a problem with this? And your ignorance is no one else's issue but yours...

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It's been fairly level headed as it progressed but this thread proves again that there is nothing more insidiously dangerous than someone who thinks they are being 'understanding' and knows better and has more knowledge in something you live every day.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"You can't tell us what the hell to call ourselves." My point is ultimately this, Why not?
Because we black folks have had a lot of our culture and heritage systematically taken and destroyed over the course of centuries and we're not going to take kindly to non-blacks trying to be arbiters of even our very identity.

Colonizers. Colonizers everywhere.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I'm aware black is a perfectly acceptable term to refer to, well, black folks, but I always thought using just the plural with no nouns sounded a bit... rough? Then again I'm a white european so every bit of education of the subject is welcome I suppose.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Man, what part of London you from that likes a group of black people being called blacks? This aint about being called black it about being called blacks, there a difference.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware black is a perfectly acceptable term to refer to, well, black folks, but I always thought using just the plural with no nouns sounded a bit... rough? Then again I'm a white european so every bit of education of the subject is welcome I suppose.
It's similar to the issue with "females."

In an academic context or one where it's being used as an adjective ("female athletes"), it's fine. When you're calling a woman "a female," it's dehumanizing, especially if the nomenclature isn't being followed for men.

Group names are different of course, and opinions are subsequently going to vary on how cringe-worthy some of these are, and if so to what degree. But that's normal. We ain't a monolith.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know what the Blacks think about this.

no other opinions are valid on this except for the Blacks. can the Blacks please speak up?

will the Blacks please @ me?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I've seen "Blacks in Gaming" group at E3 for the past 10 years since I've been going. Pretty sure they host one of the after party events as well.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
It's similar to the issue with "females."

In an academic context or one where it's being used as an adjective ("female athletes"), it's fine. When you're calling a woman "a female," it's dehumanizing, especially if the nomenclature isn't being followed for men.

Group names are different of course, and opinions are subsequently going to vary on how cringe-worthy some of these are, and if so to what degree. But that's normal. We ain't a monolith.

Hm, I see. One for the your mileage may vary category then.

Though to me it always sounds a bit off to drop the nouns entirely and I try to avoid it. Perks of not having english as a first language, perhaps. Think I'll just stick to what works.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
"The Historically Black Universities in America are some of the most..."

"The American Association of Blacks in Energy published...."

"The Blacks at Xbox recently announced...."

Its just a boneheaded name man, you cant get around that.
It's not called "The Blacks at Xbox"l. In the tweet they call it "our Blacks at Xbox community". Can't really be more clear than that. If they were hosting an event you would say "The Black at Xbox group/community is hosting..." or "Blacks at Xbox is hosting.."

Last edited:

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

no other opinions are valid on this except for the Blacks. can the Blacks please speak up?

A better way to put it in the right context:

I just want to know what "Blacks at Xbox" think about this.

no other opinions are valid on this except for Blacks at Xbox's. Can "Blacks at Xbox" please speak up?

will "Blacks at Xbox" please @ me?

May 18, 2018
LMAO this thread is exactly what I figured it would turn into: well meaning white people speaking for black people about what is/isn't racist and trash white people using this chance to sneak in some "ironic" racism. Always fun for us black folx to be in the middle of that........

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Man, what part of London you from that likes a group of black people being called blacks? This aint about being called black it about being called blacks, there a difference.
It's not actually about being called black or blacks. It's about a group of people identifying themselves using the term blacks. Which I don't see a problem with.

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why it's hard for me to take ERA seriously sometimes, i understand that they do it with a positive intention, but some comments in this thread honestly infuriate me considering their background and where they're coming from.
Ohh really, do tell.
Was this in response to their follow up tweet?
No. It's a response to everyone in this thread who isn't black.
Niggas with attitude is all good, just don't call your rap group blacks with attitude, that's not cool with me.
LMAO.

Phd9ZuW.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.