• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
UHqxXf4.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I think given it's source material and budget and lead actress, people expected more than an average action film with one note characters and a simple, straight forward, and shallow storyline.
I took GITS on its own, i didnt hold it to other versions of GITS. And on its own, it's fine? It touches on a lot of the same things that the Blade Runner films have. Were some of the characters (like Batsu) given nothing to work with? Sure, but the film tackled many similar existential dilemmas and didnt drop the ball with those themes.

It was good.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
It's certainly an exciting time to be a data jacker or razer girl. TV seems like a positive move for the genre, give the more complex stories time to breath and all that. Plus the ballooning budget of recent tv shows lets the makers actually show the world in all its neon glory.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I took GITS on its own, i didnt hold it to other versions of GITS. And on its own, it's fine? It touches on a lot of the same things that the Blade Runner films have. Were some of the characters (like Batsu) given nothing to work with? Sure, but the film tackled many similar existential dilemmas and didnt drop the ball with those themes.

It was good.
I watched GITS too, as its own movie since I never read the manga or saw the animated movie, and I think you're giving it way too much credit in how it handled its themes. Mostly superficial IMO, secondary to the overarching plot and action. The visuals were great, the action was decent, but in terms of exploring those themes well, I thought it mostly failed

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Electric Dreams coming to the US on Amazon in January (already out in the UK).
As a PKD anthology there's probably some Cyberpunk in there I imagine.

Oct 29, 2017
They're also doing a Ringworld show

Yeah, Amazon's going big on science fiction

Can already see a barrage of teenagers complaining that this copied Halo.
these teenagers are already grown ass people in their 20s-30s, all will still do it all the same

On a serious note. All this emphasis on big names from a various decades ago makes me think that Amazon would have really liked to have acquired Leviathan Wakes instead. Sure, Ringworld is like getting to do The Lord of The Rings, but you would still regret not having gotten Harry Potter.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It was good.

On it's own it's ok. It explored the theme of identity on a very surface level. Other sci fi films have done everything better than it.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I've heard of Altered Carbon, but it definitely looks interesting. Thanks for sharing, OP!

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting on the Cyberpunk 2077.

Also Star Citizen is looking pretty fucking dope and Bladerunner like.
maxresdefault.jpg

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this movie flop hardcore? Not really a good sign for this "resurgence"
I mean it is kinda the start of it, not many came before it recently. Not that all of a sudden everyone has started working on something, just that everything is finally releasing shortly after Bladerunner.

I know it didn't make its money in theatres but how much did it actually make/cost?

Oct 29, 2017
Not cyberpunk, but After Gravity, The Martian, and Life (not very good, but not terrible) I feel like I could use another couple of "modern day"/near future space thrillers. We need another Shoemaker Levy 9 type event to ignite it, cuz I am not waiting for a real life mission to Mars to get an adaptation of Red Mars.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not cyberpunk, but After Gravity, The Martian, and Life (not very good, but not terrible) I feel like I could use another couple of "modern day"/near future space thrillers. We need another Shoemaker Levi 9 type event to ignite it, cuz I am not waiting for a real life mission to Mars to get an adaptation of Red Mars.
Imagine the next time we get a Mars film its actually filmed on Mars.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've never heard blade runner called cyber punk. Do people outside of my sphere call it that?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
i would say that scifi is making a nice comeback on TV in general, there is a new Trek, we've got The Expanse, and of course Black Mirror and PKD's Electric Dreams; I'm a happy camper.

Oct 29, 2017
I've never heard blade runner called cyber punk. Do people outside of my sphere call it that?
The original I say one can argue it isn't, but 2049 has a woman whose job is to create memories, a 1 body relationship with a copy of a mass market software written to fall in love, and corporate goons walking into police stations to take whatever they want. It's cyberpunk alright.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I question whether traditional cyberpunk (bleak, dystopic settings, disenfranchised protagonists and the like) will manage to capture mainstream success, but having more things to look into within the genre is still good. Still don't know enough about Shin Megami Tensei V to determine whether it'll keep SMT cyberpunk, or if Atlus will make it closer to III: Nocturne (which is the odd one out in not being cyberpunk at all). Wouldn't mind seeing more postcyberpunk properties to see how other creators do with stories not set in a dystopia.

And though I liked BR 2049, albeit not as much as the original personally, I would never consider it a negative reflection on someone's intelligence because they didn't like it or just weren't interested.
It very much codified the look, feel, and themes that became associated with cyberpunk as a genre. If anything, I don't believe that cyberpunk would be what it is without BR's influence.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still made money (about over twice its budget) just not as much money as the studio wanted to start a franchise NO ONE was interested in. But, it was no flop.

LOL You're not factoring in P&A costs and the studios actual take from the box office after the theaters cut.

The movie flopped.

Also the movie was supposed to set up a universe of other films that were already in production and attached to directors, screenwriters, and actors as well as promoting them. This has all since been abandoned despite all the investment in time and money. Why, you may ask?

Because The Mummy flopped.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
LOL You're not factoring in P&A costs and the studios actual take from the box office after the theaters cut.

The movie flopped.

Also the movie was supposed to set up a universe of other films that were already in production and attached to directors, screenwriters, and actors as well as promoting them. This has all since been abandoned despite all the investment in time and money. Why, you may ask?

Because The Mummy flopped.

One can never truly know the profit of a particular film fue to Hollywood accounting. We can only look at the budget and box office returns. And, based on that it did not flop. The same way BvS did not flop. However, both fell short of what those studios were expecting. The Mummy was supposed to setup a multi-billion dollar universe, not net 100 mil or so. Thus, its "underperformance" killed its universe. But, from a pure financial point, it likely was not a flop. Adding in the costs of future movies is not fair or relevant.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Cyberpunk is more relevant than ever and I'm thrilled to see a big resurgence. And with a big resurgence, it'll be nice not to get excited about every cyberpunk project. I can afford to be discerning instead of like watching the live action Ghost in the Shell.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Cornish is doing snow crash, and he's writen some scripts with Wright.

I'm excited about it, but i hope the make Y.T. older. The parts with her and Raven were just creepy.
Should be a given with a live-action adaptation. The idea of pairing those two seems like it'll still be gross anyway, though.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Yay a Cyberpunk thread, count me in! But I am wayy behind with Cyberpunk stuff

Also can I mention these

• Mr Robot (is doing okay on TV)
  • Alita : Battle Angel - is out supposedly July next year (strange we haven't seen at least a teaser yet)
  • Blame! - is on Netflix (have not watched it yet)
  • Beyond Good & Evil 2 - Cyberpunkish right? (It did look like it to me)
  • Rain of Reflections - I am looking forward to this game, because I think that will be a 2018 release compared to Cyberpunk 2077 which i think will be a 2020 release (and no doubt to coincide with the original game title)
  • Ready Player One - Erm don't know what to think, heard Mixed reviews of the book, but it is Spielberg doing the Movie
  • Phillip K Dicks Electric Dreams - surely there is something Cyberpunk there?
  • The Matrix is getting a reboot/Prequel?
Edit : Whoops, shame on me I forgot to add, the upcoming Judge Dredd : Mega City One TV series that was announced.

Also What Happened to Monday - Anyone seen that Netflix film? Is it good

IMG_7901.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when the FUCK is mute coming out? huh huhh?

didn't they wrap up filming like seven years ago? what's taking so long? post production big hologram lady?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One can never truly know the profit of a particular film fue to Hollywood accounting. We can only look at the budget and box office returns. And, based on that it did not flop. The same way BvS did not flop. However, both fell short of what those studios were expecting. The Mummy was supposed to setup a multi-billion dollar universe, not net 100 mil or so. Thus, its "underperformance" killed its universe. But, from a pure financial point, it likely was not a flop. Adding in the costs of future movies is not fair or relevant.

You're playing semantics. By industry standards, the films flopped. Don't believe me? Just google "The Mummy" and "flop" and check out the breakdowns on industry trade sites by analysts on how bad it flopped.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like cyberpunk is the new apocalypse/zombies and I'm TOTALLY on board. Ready Player One will amplify things even more I bet.